Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

should we start taking bets on how long it will be until a libertarian techbro and a MAGA trucknut have a high noon shootout at a charging station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
IDK when, but I know where:

Florida.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have to think that before we get that we'll get "truck driver discovers they were towed away from charging station, tries to use truck to to trample puny EVs under its tires, instead ends up flipped over in a ditch."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Petition Tesla's engineers to create an "avoid rampaging truck" autopilot mode.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westy543 posted:

Having full torque from 0mph is pretty nuts.

My favorite thing is when I am stuck at a red light next to some zoom zoom tiny penis car that keeps reving their engine and just gunning it to 40 mph and then just going about my day while they wonder why how my dinky little hatchback left them in the dust, like half of them try and race me while I ignore them singing to Britney Spears or something.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
InsideEV's monthly scorecard is out, closing out the numbers for the year. https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/.

Here's the upshot:

2016 US BEV+PHEV sales: 158,614
2017 US BEV+PHEV sales: 199,826 (+26%)
2018 US BEV+PHEV sales: 357,441 (+79%)

EDIT: I'm too lazy to tally the BEV-only numbers but my guess is that it's well over +100% from 2017.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 4, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Three Olives posted:

My favorite thing is when I am stuck at a red light next to some zoom zoom tiny penis car that keeps reving their engine and just gunning it to 40 mph and then just going about my day while they wonder why how my dinky little hatchback left them in the dust, like half of them try and race me while I ignore them singing to Britney Spears or something.

Oh word?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And those tiny penis havers?

None other than Albert Einstein.

Getting smoked by the i3's blistering 7 second 0-60 times.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

spandexcajun posted:

A novel solution to EV chargers getting ICE'ed.

Tow them the gently caress away with your superior torque! :getout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClDpGqj3PGA

Didn't there used to be some mobile app where you could use your phone's camera to rat out illegal parking and get a reward for any resulting tickets? That sounds like it could be an effective solution here.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Some superchargers allow any car to park there for 30 minutes. I don't know if that's been the case at these places, but if it is you wouldn't be able to ticket or tow.

Washington State has a law for ticketing cars in EV spots that aren't charging, but they have to meet certain signage requirements and that would cramp Tesla's style I guess.

quote:

the electric vehicle charging station must be indicated by green pavement markings.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So Tesla repair story:

My 3 came with a few defects from the factory:
1) Front and Rear roof glass had small cracks in them.
2) An absolute minute amount of overspray on the front and rear bumper (If I didn't religiously keep my cars detailed I wouldn't have noticed it.)
3) The rear passenger window seal wasn't completely sealed properly.
4) The trunk seal wasn't perfect.

I would have just wet sanded the overspray but since it had to be serviced for the rest, I figured I would let them take care of it.

The night before the guy is supposed to come out and take the car, I wash it outside, and vacuum it. Like a dumbass, as I am backing into the garage, I don't notice the garage door closing and it hits the trunk lid, scratching the paint on the lid down to the bare metal. It isn't dented, but I was very VERY upset at myself. The next morning I point out what I did to the guy and ask if they could get me a quote.

The holidays pass, and I don't hear anything back.
On Monday I get a call and they say the car is ready and we schedule for the guy to drop the car off this morning. I forget to ask about the quote.

An hour ago I get the car and as I am inspecting it, I notice the trunk paint looks brand new, like the scratch never happened. I ask the guy what the charge was for the fix, and he smiles at me and says "What scratch?"

I guess they fixed it while they had the bumper off to fix the rear trunk seal. Thanks, Tesla! They just saved me easily $500+ on the repair!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ulf posted:

myChevrolet is running? Better go catch it! :haw:

In EV non-news Zero Motorcycles has announced that they’ll announce a new platform in February, the “Zero SR/F”. Based on de-obfuscated teaser pics and the timing my bet is that it’s their answer to the Harley Davidson LiveWire. Pretty interesting in that nobody has even attempted an EV for the cruiser market yet.

I really hope it’s not a cruiser, personally. Yes, most cruiser owners only ride 15 miles a month stopping between bars (I love you anyways you leathery hog straddlers) so its perfect for EVs, but cruisers themselves are judged on their range and comfort, only one of which we can currently have in a motorcycle-sized battery pack. Yes, you’d get more older cruiser owners with the EV “twist n’ go” ease of riding, but I don’t think it’s a huge market at this point as they’re literally dying off.

With Harley-Davidson making GBS threads the bed, the chopper craze finally dying off and other cruiser makes shuttering, getting into the cruiser market scares me and I don’t want Zero going the way of Alta Motors. :ohdear:

Oh how I want the SR-F to be a mean-as-hell freak of a bike that goes after the S1000R.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Their own pitch is:

quote:

Backed by thirteen years of innovation and iteration, setbacks and what-ifs, our next evolution will be the first of its kind. Effortless power. Precise instinct. This is the future of motorcycling.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

That sounds more like a new drivetrain in the same bike types, than a new bike type with the same drivetrain. It also follows the trusted performance vehicle tradition of endlessly adding new bold characters to the alphabet soup model name.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Ripoff posted:

I really hope it’s not a cruiser, personally. Yes, most cruiser owners only ride 15 miles a month stopping between bars (I love you anyways you leathery hog straddlers) so its perfect for EVs, but cruisers themselves are judged on their range and comfort, only one of which we can currently have in a motorcycle-sized battery pack. Yes, you’d get more older cruiser owners with the EV “twist n’ go” ease of riding, but I don’t think it’s a huge market at this point as they’re literally dying off.

With Harley-Davidson making GBS threads the bed, the chopper craze finally dying off and other cruiser makes shuttering, getting into the cruiser market scares me and I don’t want Zero going the way of Alta Motors. :ohdear:

Oh how I want the SR-F to be a mean-as-hell freak of a bike that goes after the S1000R.

What happened to Alta Motors?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Alta Motors made an EV motocross bike that was pretty fast.

Harley-Davidson announced in March they were taking an equity stake in Alta, presumably to work with them to get the Livewire built.

Six months later Harley-Davidson announced they were parting ways with Alta.

Two months after that Alta announced they were ceasing operations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Harley-Davidson invested in them and six months later they were out of business.

e: yeah

I don't think they really targeted the right market for a company with only one product. An established motorcycle company can afford to make a high-performance electric supercross bike that'll only ever sell a few hundred units, because they have their other lines to fund it. Alta's best path forwards was for someone to buy them out for their technology, and it's just too bad that it was H-D instead of a company that actually gives a poo poo

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 4, 2019

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

ratbert90 posted:

I guess they fixed it while they had the bumper off to fix the rear trunk seal. Thanks, Tesla! They just saved me easily $500+ on the repair!

That is awesome! It's good to hear that Tesla service is getting there act together or is not as bad as some report since the Model 3 boom.

I know 7 other Model 3 owners (plus my 3 and one model S owner and one X owner = 10 Tesla owners total) and only one guy had to have extensive service done, on a new Model 3. Similar to you he had a hair in his paint and a rattle and one or two other things with paint. He got them all fixed correctly but the scheduling was a bad experience and it took weeks longer then it should have. This was in Aug or Sept, around the peak of the Model 3 ramp up.

Otherwise out of 10 Tesla owners everyone has nothing but positive things to report. The guy with the S got one of the very early ones and it's like 4-5 years old at this point, he always got the red carpet treatment, as he should have buying a 100k+ car.

That's my anecdote.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Their own pitch is:

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

That sounds more like a new drivetrain in the same bike types, than a new bike type with the same drivetrain. It also follows the trusted performance vehicle tradition of endlessly adding new bold characters to the alphabet soup model name.

I’m with you on the “new drivetrain” angle, I think they may be going for higher power output (possibly via water-cooling?) in a new generation of batteries and motors so they can start moving towards Lightning LS-218 levels of oomph out of the bikes.

If this ends up being a fairings-only upgrade I’m gonna laugh my rear end off, though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Ulf posted:

Alta Motors made an EV motocross bike that was pretty fast.

Harley-Davidson announced in March they were taking an equity stake in Alta, presumably to work with them to get the Livewire built.

Six months later Harley-Davidson announced they were parting ways with Alta.

Two months after that Alta announced they were ceasing operations.

Oh drat. My friend has been a drivetrain engineer for Alta for the past decade+ but I must've missed this happening.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ripoff posted:

I’m with you on the “new drivetrain” angle, I think they may be going for higher power output (possibly via water-cooling?) in a new generation of batteries and motors so they can start moving towards Lightning LS-218 levels of oomph out of the bikes.

If this ends up being a fairings-only upgrade I’m gonna laugh my rear end off, though.

Hoping for bigger battery, active cooling and fast charging.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is an effortpost on reddit about the gen 3 autopilot hardware
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/acjdrt/tesla_autopilot_hw3_details/

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Feels like Tesla is eventually going to see the wisdom of using model years, once they have to start clarifying what features are available for model whatevers with a specific type of hardware built in. It's great if there's only one or two things to keep track of, but as changes start to multiply, confusion sets in.

Also I am still cranky that they keep making the cars I don't want and nobody makes an electric Miata competitor with two rear motors instead of a diff and a 150 mile range.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Feels like Tesla is eventually going to see the wisdom of using model years, once they have to start clarifying what features are available for model whatevers with a specific type of hardware built in. It's great if there's only one or two things to keep track of, but as changes start to multiply, confusion sets in.

Also I am still cranky that they keep making the cars I don't want and nobody makes an electric Miata competitor with two rear motors instead of a diff and a 150 mile range.

There is no wisdom in model years, just habit. You still have to specify options, for one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Most of the other car manufacturers have mid model year changes as-is anyway, so changeovers are generally referenced in the part fiche in terms of year + serial number start/end as-is. The problems start to happen when they yolo it and stuff gets mixed together with no cutoff (I mostly see this in Italian poo poo).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

There is no wisdom in model years, just habit. You still have to specify options, for one.

Sounds like we need to use cryptographic hashes to specify our cars. "Yeah, I have a Hyundai 7bc606bc6d4550075e6d574a61c77a95e61c0ff4, what about you?"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sounds like we need to use cryptographic hashes to specify our cars. "Yeah, I have a Hyundai 7bc606bc6d4550075e6d574a61c77a95e61c0ff4, what about you?"

You mean some sort of Number......to Identify...........each Vehicle?

a NIV?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

You mean some sort of Number......to Identify...........each Vehicle?

a NIV?

I meant the hash to identify, like, "this car has the sport trim and leather seats and is blue", not the specific individual vehicle.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

This is exactly what I want also.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I meant the hash to identify, like, "this car has the sport trim and leather seats and is blue", not the specific individual vehicle.

You mean, like a VIN?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

You mean, like a VIN?

(Good lord this is way too much conversation over what was meant to be a stupid joke that I apparently completely flubbed the delivery of)

Yes the VIN uniquely identifies an individual car, and by uniquely identifying the car you can then look up the properties of the car, assuming you have access to the manufacturer's database. As far as I can tell the VIN itself doesn't directly contain those properties beyond make and model, though. At least the breakdown on this page doesn't have any section that I can peg as being "this would cover whether the car has leather seats".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Generally, VIN decoder websites are used for that sorta thing.
Example: https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ee66097 or https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/BA780199

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Volvo says they'll have a "Polestar 2" out this year with 400hp and a 300 mile range, looking like the 40.2 concept. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25737679/polestar-2-volvo-confirmed-2020/

And Infiniti just released the QX EV concept. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25742810/infiniti-qx-inspiration-electric-crossover/

And ford relseased teasers of their "mustang-styled electric performance crossover" which might be called the mach 1

So i guess this is the future then. All cars are roughly I-pace shaped with little styling bits to differentiate them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

(Good lord this is way too much conversation over what was meant to be a stupid joke that I apparently completely flubbed the delivery of)

Yes the VIN uniquely identifies an individual car, and by uniquely identifying the car you can then look up the properties of the car, assuming you have access to the manufacturer's database. As far as I can tell the VIN itself doesn't directly contain those properties beyond make and model, though. At least the breakdown on this page doesn't have any section that I can peg as being "this would cover whether the car has leather seats".

Vin's generally contain colors, and options as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

That is awesome! It's good to hear that Tesla service is getting there act together or is not as bad as some report since the Model 3 boom.

Yeah, getting the car and actually getting it in for service took way too long and was a pain, BUT the service team was amazing once they actually had the car.

I also just realized that the trunk was scratched as well and they fixed it. So they just straight up sanded/resprayed the trunk and bumper for free! :3:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

pun pundit posted:

This is exactly what I want also.

Wibla posted:

I would buy this in a heartbeat.
You can have this now, but it requires converting it yourself or paying someone a pretty penny for the conversion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Vin's generally contain colors, and options as well.

Welp. As y'all've pointed out, my data was wrong. Thanks for the corrections, time to go hang my head in shame. :negative:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A short code might be fine for Tesla, but having just fantasy-shopped a couple Mercedes models, I'm pretty sure that a coding system sophisticated enough to account for every possible combination of options they offer would end up being longer than a VIN.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla would need some very long VINs to encode every part that has been updated along the way. Felt or plastic wheel arch liners? Which wiper fluid nozzle? Which version door handle? While it would perhaps be a complicated scheme, I still think it's better to swap a part immediately on the production line rather than wait for some arbitrary date to gather them all up, logistics etc permitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Until your new part needs a wiring connector repin for some obscure reason and now people need to be aware to manually pull the sensor to check and see which part revision it carries, but wait, that revision was such a short run no one makes replacement so now you need the correct revision harness and and