Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Covenant is amazing and my 3rd favorite film in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only post-Aliens material worth adapting is what the world looks like after Weyland-Yutani starts learning how to harvest/profit off the Xenomorph.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was really excited for Covenant, and then really disappointed when I saw it in theaters and there was basically nothing new about the movie.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was really excited for Covenant, and then really disappointed when I saw it in theaters and there was basically nothing new about the movie.

Scott was going to do a proper Prometheus sequel, but then Fox freaked out about angry Blomkamp nerds on the internet clamoring for a sequel to Cameron's film, so they insisted that the Xenomorph make an appearance in the sequel to Prometheus. Just look at the concept art that leaked online for the original Prometheus sequel, it's pretty good.

And I think Covenant still turned out great thanks to the David plot, the neomorphs, and the production values.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Amanda Ripley was a cool character who did a good job balancing being extremely competent and freaking the gently caress out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Taintrunner posted:

The only post-Aliens material worth adapting is what the world looks like after Weyland-Yutani starts learning how to harvest/profit off the Xenomorph.

The comics had the aliens completely overrun Earth, and things become even more hosed up than you'd think.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Covenant is The Tempest (or at least Forbidden Planet) Prometheus is 2001 (or At the Mountains of Madness)
The only thing they have in common is David, the best robot boy.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beachcomber posted:

The comics had the aliens completely overrun Earth, and things become even more hosed up than you'd think.

Yes and this was precisely the starting point where the post-Aliens movies should have went.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I always joked about this happening in Star Trek (hence the Enterprise's singular toilet) but apparently it is official Harry Potter canon.

https://twitter.com/pottermore/status/1081242428105998336

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

The Aliens franchise dies a death it could not see coming. Death at the hands of YA. Once a fearsome creature, both the Alien and Predator are now jokes, their mystique gone.

IDK, I could definitely see a love triangle involving an Alien and a Predator making for a good movie, provided that it was done tastefully by people who knew the source material well.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Don't you mean a Prometheus sequel because Covenant was basically just a remake of Prometheus with a xenomorph haphazardly thrown in there

i mean taking into account the last few minutes of the movie, Prometheus is Prometheus with a xenomorph haphazardly thrown in there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The MSJ posted:

I always joked about this happening in Star Trek (hence the Enterprise's singular toilet) but apparently it is official Harry Potter canon.

https://twitter.com/pottermore/status/1081242428105998336

JK Rowling is getting crazier and crazier and worse and worse. She's well on the way to making people hate the Potter stuff.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
She actually declared that canon two or three years ago by the way, but it is funny that they’re doubling down on it. Rowling has been this awful for a long time now.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Codependent Poster posted:

JK Rowling is getting crazier and crazier and worse and worse. She's well on the way to making people hate the Potter stuff.

Good. There's much better fantasy series out there anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

She actually declared that canon two or three years ago by the way, but it is funny that they’re doubling down on it. Rowling has been this awful for a long time now.

Yeah I just read that. And read people pointing out that there has been plumbing and chamberpots and stuff going back to the Romans. But then they got plumbing and decided actually taking a poo poo and flushing is better than vanishing?

That whole thing just raises so many questions and is so dumb.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Chairman Capone posted:

It's crazy how much Sin City 2 looks like a direct to video movie that came out even before Sin City 1.

I remember watching it and, when Josh Brolin showed up with the god-awful facial prosthetics after his character gets plastic surgery, thinking they just really cheaped out on this too-late sequel.

But nope. They didn't even bother asking Clive Owen to come back for that part. He said he totally would have, but nobody asked him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I just read that. And read people pointing out that there has been plumbing and chamberpots and stuff going back to the Romans. But then they got plumbing and decided actually taking a poo poo and flushing is better than vanishing?

That whole thing just raises so many questions and is so dumb.

Harry Potter is a whimsical fantasy series for children that satirizes British culture, wizards using magic to get rid of poop in the days when London was an obstacle course of chamber pots dumped out of windows isn't any worse or different than their ridiculous currency system as a take on pre-decimalization British currency.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Mann posted:

Harry Potter is a whimsical fantasy series for children that satirizes British culture, wizards using magic to get rid of poop in the days when London was an obstacle course of chamber pots dumped out of windows isn't any worse or different than their ridiculous currency system as a take on pre-decimalization British currency.

How does using magic to get rid of poop satirize British culture or was that just a random and ultimately pointless fun fact.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wizards are just arcane chavs.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

asecondduck posted:

I mean, there's not a whole lot to go on there, but based on recent trends I'm predicting a YA Alien movie. A ship floating in space filled with teenagers when an Alien shows up. Plucky Amanda Ripley, Ellen's daughter, will inspire the other teens to work together to throw the Alien out of the airlock--that is, when she's not busy trying to figure out if she should ask the cute but boring nice guy or the dangerous rebel to Space Prom (it's progressive because she's choosing who to ask!)

Oh and she uses Snapchat and dabs.

In order to be a true YA movie, there would have to be an washed up adult alien spurned by others of its kind that helps our plucky protagonist.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6133-the-most-anticipated-films-of-2019

quote:

Japanese director Sion Sono will make his English-language debut with Prisoners of the Ghostland. “It might be the wildest movie I’ve ever made, and that’s saying something,” Nicolas Cage told an audience in Macao last month. “I wear a skin-tight black leather jumpsuit with grenades attached to different body parts, and if I don’t rescue the governor’s daughter from this state line where they’re all ghosts and bring her back, they’re gonna blow me up. It’s just crazy. It’s way out there.”

:yeshaha:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

A movie makes money because distributors and advertisers are able to manufacture desire for it. People's desires to see things, beyond this, are far more informed by income and logistics. Can I pay to see this, do I have the time, and is it worth it when I can just wait for Redbox? That's what films are actually up against, not critical response, not trade gossip, not all these things that only a small minority of very vocal wonks care about.

When the Bumblebee trailer came out a few months back I remember that my reaction was "Who are they making this film for?" It's too kid-orientated for people who were fans of the Bayformers franchise and the people who didn't like the other five films probably weren't going to take a chance on a spinoff no matter how it was advertised, so it was always going to be a hard sell. The trailer was obviously trying to strike a balance between "Teen girl has a coming-of-age story with her new robot friend" for one audience and "Cybertron war comes to earth with lots of explosions and grim army men shouting orders and robots punching each other" for the other audience which pretty much cancels each other out in the end. If it had been pitched as a YA film and it wasn't dropped at Christmas it might have had a chance but as it was it came across as "Kids film with realistic explosions and violence."
Edit: to be accurate, it was pitched as a "Teen girls' film with realistic explosions and violence" which shouldn't make a difference but we all know it probably did.

So when parents lined up at the cinema with their kids these last few weeks and their choice was between an unknown quantity like Bumblebee and known quantities like Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse and Wreck It Ralph 2 then Bumblebee clearly got shoved to the back of the queue.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bumbleebee was the second most recognizable transformer besides Prime. Hell I would put him above Megatron. He was obviously being pushed hard in the Bay movies and I think your letting your fanboyism blind you here.

I'm pretty sure that Optimus, Bumblebee and Megatron are the only three characters that appeared in all of the 5 Bayformers films. Also the promotional material was featuring all three of them right from the start:

The advertising for The Last Knight really pushed the Optimus v Bumblebee showdown as well:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slutitution posted:

Good. There's much better fantasy series out there anyway.

I'm a bit cynical about what fantasy series get popular these days. I feel like a lot of them go in for the Brandon Sanderson thing where they pay too much attention to how magic works, or otherwise they go in for the George R. R. Martin thing and make it all terribly over-the-top with the sex and violence and just doesn't feel very fantastical at all. Either way, there aren't very many fantasy series that feel especially whimsical to me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

In order to be a true YA movie, there would have to be an washed up adult alien spurned by others of its kind that helps our plucky protagonist.

also everyone gets seperated in OCD compartmentalized groups because it's like, just like high school

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Old movie new tweet

https://twitter.com/spacecowbot/status/1080969587619962880

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I cannot possibly imagine this movie has aged well at all

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How the gently caress did this get a sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igCFTDEIq0Y

It's actually getting a limited theatrical release (plus simultaneous VOD release) on Jan 11. The original starred Rob Schneider as the main character but this time he passed on the role so they had to recast. They couldn't get Rob Schneider.

(Rob's only listed acting roles for 2018 were a cameo appearance in a music video and a minor VA role in the videogame Madden NFL 19)

I think this is a "no I won't make out with you!" situation

Rob Schneider is an enormous chud chode and nobody likes him

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Rob Schneider is an enormous chud chode and nobody likes him

Just in case anyone was in any doubt:

https://twitter.com/RobSchneider/status/1081210566503424001

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Wait? This is the first time I've heard of this, then again I was a bit young when the original came out to have paid attention to something like that.

At the end of the movie the chemist reveals to him about the drug they tested on his unit

The drug actually does exist and was used on people without their knowledge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Quinuclidinyl_benzilate

https://pages.uoregon.edu/munno/OregonCourses/REL253F12/REL253Notes/BZStory.htm

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

2019 is non-euclidean
https://twitter.com/RobSchneider/status/1081241968338845696

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I don't think I've :yikes: so hard at a movie premise since the IndieGogo for Love Bound

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nicolas Cage saying he's in a wild wild movie is the biggest selling point ever.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

both deleted

what did he rant about now

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Fried Watermelon posted:

both deleted

what did he rant about now

One was saying to free Louie [sic] CK because jokes are just words, with some choice language

The second was telling Ellen Degeneres how much he has always loved her, and does so more now that she's willing to give Kevin Hart a second chance

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

asecondduck posted:

I mean, there's not a whole lot to go on there, but based on recent trends I'm predicting a YA Alien movie. A ship floating in space filled with teenagers when an Alien shows up. Plucky Amanda Ripley, Ellen's daughter, will inspire the other teens to work together to throw the Alien out of the airlock--that is, when she's not busy trying to figure out if she should ask the cute but boring nice guy or the dangerous rebel to Space Prom (it's progressive because she's choosing who to ask!)

Oh and she uses Snapchat and dabs.

The twist ending is she asks the alien out

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

holy loly

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The short film within Covenant about the two Fassbender robots encountering each other is extremely good, but unfortunately it's bound within a generic science fiction horror movie. I will say that any time David tricks someone into getting eaten is also great black humor on par with Prometheus.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Slutitution posted:

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/1081346374187319297

" #ReadPlayWatch "?

Does this potentially mean Disney is giving us an Alien film on "Amanda Ripley"?

:shepicide: if so.

Disney got FoxNext as part of the deal, FoxNext had bought Cold Iron Studios, who are developing a more Aliens-esque (more shooty, less "ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckhide") follow-up to Alien Isolation. I'm going to simply guess that either the game's releasing before the acquisition is closed and sealed by the end of this year, or Disney figures the development's too far along to just pull the plug when they get into a spot to actually make decisions for Fox, and the tweet is just promoting a coming announcement of the game/a comic series/a web series centered on this follow-up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1081641577078874112

This sounds like it would have been closer to being an actual movie rather than a sports-adjacent branding exercise like Space Jam and also as good a premise for the Tunes to have crazy pratfalls and physical gags as anything, one more reason Back in Action bombing was a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy Mann posted:

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1081641577078874112

This sounds like it would have been closer to being an actual movie rather than a sports-adjacent branding exercise like Space Jam and also as good a premise for the Tunes to have crazy pratfalls and physical gags as anything, one more reason Back in Action bombing was a loss.

Tony Hawk is immediately shamed by Taz's 10,800,000