Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

lmao if you think your starship needs loving windows jesus christ

nothing is fundamentally wrong with a spacecraft having windows

there are a lot of other things fundamentally wrong with that illustration though

it looks like something from a 1950s sci-fi thing, and not in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kraanerg posted:

oh it's even worse than that. some redditor bazingas pitched in like $9k to buy Elon Musk, a billionaire, a couch after he said in an interview that he sleeps under his desk

I wonder if someone walked in on Musk going to town on Grimes under his desk and he tried playing it off as sleeping

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
if we treat the rich nice theyll maybe give us things

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

nothing is fundamentally wrong with a spacecraft having windows

there are a lot of other things fundamentally wrong with that illustration though

it looks like something from a 1950s sci-fi thing, and not in a good way

Yeah crew capsules had windows all the way back to project mercury. Granted the astronauts had to basically force the engineers to put them in, but its a solved problem.

I don't understand what the hell that thing Musk is building though. Also making the entire thing out steel seems incredibly weird?

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
it’s made out of steel because that’s what rockets looked like on 50s era analog sci-fi magazine covers

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

BioMe posted:

He's not well-read even as a scifi nerd.

Even Mass Effect gave out the excuse "yeah, these huge windows are actually a real dumb idea but the billionaire tool who commissioned this poo poo insisted".

so hes played that one then

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Musk DEffect

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol ill never buy a tesla but elon musk is one of the most important people alive today

hes gonna be in history textbooks a thousand yeares from now like newton

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
and the anti musk sentiment will not even be mentioned, even tho your feelings are 100% manufactured at british petrolum and exxon etc

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol cant you see how in this hypernormal world you are just puppets of carbon industry

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
they manufacture and lie through your computer screen to make you hate the greatest man alive

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Make sweet car to me on the fucktory floor, Elong

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Buddy, the robots are going so fast they won't even let me gently caress them

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Make sweet car to me on the fucktory floor, Elong
My love for you is like a truck

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Yeah crew capsules had windows all the way back to project mercury. Granted the astronauts had to basically force the engineers to put them in, but its a solved problem.

I don't understand what the hell that thing Musk is building though. Also making the entire thing out steel seems incredibly weird?

steel is cheap, and since this rocket is never gonna do half the poo poo he's promising, might as well cut corners

what is he promising? well, he's promising that this rocket is going to be fully reusable (heatshield and all), that it'll have a total payload capacity at least 4-5 times that of the space shuttle, that the entire cargo bay will be pressurized, that it will be capable of orbital refueling, and that it will be capable of flying to Mars

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

steel is cheap, and since this rocket is never gonna do half the poo poo he's promising, might as well cut corners

what is he promising? well, he's promising that this rocket is going to be fully reusable (heatshield and all), that it'll have a total payload capacity at least 4-5 times that of the space shuttle, that the entire cargo bay will be pressurized, that it will be capable of orbital refueling, and that it will be capable of flying to Mars

lmao what

Any one of those things would be promising more than anybody can deliver.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

It'll have the Futurama paintjob won't it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i simply can't imagine musk even going on a bender. drugs or not its all coming from a base level of naivety caused by his failing upwards lifestyle that began as the son of an emerald mine owner -- a person who as a youth found themselves in big new york city usa at some point in time with nothing but loose gemstones in their pocket

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lord Stimperor posted:

It'll have the Futurama paintjob won't it

These are the voyages of the BFR Elonprise (model NCC-420D)

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

america please shovel musk into an abandoned underground nuclear test shaft when it turns out he shifted a zillion dollars that came from the public via nasa into solarcity as a means of then further scamming it into teslas bottom line

ty!

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Okay I'm not sure I understand this thing.

Is it meant to just... Single Stage To Orbit? With payload?

Or do boosters attach uh, under or around it or...?

And if this is some artists rendition why not just wing the windows too?

And what's up with the insanely out of place looking American flag?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Teal posted:

All the easier to replace with the logo of whatever major player decides to get in on the ground floor of this obvious surefire genius brillia

where the gently caress do people get into it

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Teal posted:

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look this thing up.

The booster goes underneath that thing. All the mockups I've seen have a single boost stage, which is... ambitious but it's just an artist rendering so whatever.

That thing is supposed to house the crew and cargo. That's probably a bad idea for several reasons.

There are other renders of the thing with windows, this one might just for the prototype only idk. The windows though, lol. They have the basic porthole style windows which are no issue. But then they have this honking huge multi panel front window. It's ridiculously unworkable in reality.

Space X always seemed like the musk company that actually knew what it was doing. This has to be Elon getting involved and loving everything up.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Somfin posted:

where the gently caress do people get into it

you squeeze in through one of the engine nozzles

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Teal posted:

yes. bazoinga’d!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Siljmonster posted:

lmao if you think your starship needs loving windows jesus christ

🤔

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/a-window-to-space

🤔🤔

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

It is a simple scale model used for testing. It's just going up in the air a few kilometres, and hopefully not explode or spin out of control.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

The ISS isn't a spaceship, it's a station that hangs around in orbit so low that it's basically empty of "natural" debris and relatively little man made debris too; anything that flies so low will, without active thrust adjustments (which the ISS makes all the time) will eventually get slowed down enough for its orbit to decay and for it to fall to earth.
Also, ISS didn't have that cupola until 2010, so until 12 years after the initial launch. Before the cupola was installed, the biggest window on ISS had 50cm and other than that, there were only some portholes.

The Shuttle was built unable to land autonomously; it had to be landed by hand, by a human crew, at time when real time camera streams were hella janky in both quality and reliability. It would have been technically possible for it to land 100% by instruments but I doubt the pilots would be too happy about that suggestion.

This thing; the BFR or whatever the gently caress they call it, is meant to be a transport vehicle and we live in a time when cameras can give you better than human eyesight picture for a fraction of the weight a big window would force onto your vehicle. As something that's meant to go back and forth between the ground and orbit and beyond, every single little bit of extra mass will eat at your delta V and decrease the overall capability.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Main Paineframe posted:

Give ol musky a buncha old tactical nukes, let him make an all steel orion ship with a full bar and a disco and a barber shop and flush toilets that just dump all the piss and poo poo overboard, if he'll be the guinea pig on board.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gently caress the space shuttle, stupid piece of poo poo

granted apollo and gemini had windows as well

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/01/06/0041228/anti-tesla-pickup-truck-drivers-take-over-a-supercharger-station----again

quote:

An anonymous reader quotes Electrek:
In what is quickly becoming a problem for some Tesla drivers, pickup truck drivers have again taken over a Supercharger station and yelled profanities in what appears to be an act of protest against Tesla. Earlier this month, we reported on a strange situation at Tesla's Hickory Supercharger in North Carolina where three large pickup trucks blocked access to the station and reportedly chanted "F*** Tesla"....

Now it looks like it's becoming a trend since another Reddit user spotted pickup truck drivers taking over another Tesla Supercharger. They reportedly were also yelling profanities to Tesla owners coming to charge at the Supercharger station.

Electrek also cites one Tesla owner's reports of being "coal rolled" -- intentionally targetted with extra black exhaust fumes from specially-modified engines.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Teal posted:

there's supposed to be a single boost stage that goes under it

i'm guessing he probably hosed up. gave the artist the blueprints for the test article and never thought to tell them to add windows and stuff, so the flag probably got tacked on at the very past second during an angry Musk tantrum

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

When you think it about Musk is basically Hitler style upper management such as constantly making irrational demands of underlings and also encouraging a culture of not telling
the truth about things.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Teal posted:

The Shuttle was built unable to land autonomously; it had to be landed by hand, by a human crew, at time when real time camera streams were hella janky in both quality and reliability. It would have been technically possible for it to land 100% by instruments but I doubt the pilots would be too happy about that suggestion.

it had autoland capability from the get go but since the astronauts were pilot primadonnas they had to be in manual control for _some_ part of the flight. Thus dropping the landing gear required pilot intervention and was never hooked up to the computers.

After Columbia they realized maybe there was a need to get people back from ISS when the pilots were incapacitated, so they built a cable to connect the computers to the flight deck switches. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-3xx under Remote Control Orbiter

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gently caress the space shuttle, stupid piece of poo poo

granted apollo and gemini had windows as well

The Space Shuttle was hamstrung by the USAF and NASA having two different sets of goals for it and being designed to do both in the end. The USAF, by way of NRO, wanted a cheap, reusable launcher that could put sats up and take them down. It never did this for the USAF (it did service a couple NASA sats though). The USAF realized that disposable launcher launching disposable sats was cheaper, and with the advent of sufficiently good digital cameras, the need to retrieve them vanished. The payload bay is believed to be designed around the KH-11 Kennan/Crystal, which has very similar dimensions to the Hubble (the Hubble is all but certain to be a repurposed one of these).

To NASA's credit, they did make as much lemonade as they could out of the lemon that was the Shuttle, and it had a few roles that it performed well at. Most notably, in my mind, a platform for space based experiments that could be done in the span of a week, a temporary space station as you will. The other role it was successful at was space station building and maintenance, having the ability to bring up a large amount of supplies in addition to major pieces and boosting the orbit of it.

As a sat launching platform, like the USAF wanted it to be, it sucked poo poo. The rest of it it was ok to good at.

As for windows as a whole, ask Jim Lovell how important they were. I'll wait.

During Apollo 8, he screwed up the nav computer, had to look towards the stars to figure out the proper direction, and fixed his error. During Apollo 13 he had to do the same thing, under much more pressure this time, without the assistance of a nav computer.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rednecks good?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Katt posted:

Rednecks good?

No, kill all coal rollers.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gschmidl posted:

What if coal rollers are natures way to sanitize smug Tesla drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gschmidl posted: