Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

dancingbears posted:

I had to look at this for a while to realize that you'd glitched to show both the PC and following pokemon in the same space. I couldn't figure out if this was supposed to be a new character I was supposed to recognize. Has this been happening and I just didn't notice before?

Yeah, the game does that every time Amy gets teleported in a cutscene. She winds up appearing on top of whatever her follower pokemon is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It doesn't help that GameFreak is like "Here's a bunch of Legendaries that are excluded from the game. But here's some events where you get them for free without any effort on your part!"

So rather than you going and catching this Pokemon that's supposed to be some godlike being, you just get it at the Pokemon Center and maybe get some dialogue from a nearby NPC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

It doesn't help that GameFreak is like "Here's a bunch of Legendaries that are excluded from the game. But here's some events where you get them for free without any effort on your part!"
Honestly, I don't even consider that a problem, because 99.999% of players will never see or take part in one of those events to begin with.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So rather than you going and catching this Pokemon that's supposed to be some godlike being, you just get it at the Pokemon Center and maybe get some dialogue from a nearby NPC.

I miss the events we used to have in Gen 3 and 4
Like Darkrai's island, or the never actually released item that gets you Arceus.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, I don't even consider that a problem, because 99.999% of players will never see or take part in one of those events to begin with.

It’s the lack of fanfare, partly. We get some amazing creatures said to have immense power and importance in the dex. Instead of having a quest that displays said importance or even having any NPC acknowledge it, you get it handed to you by some guy in a Pokémon Center.

It sucks out anything interesting from the exchange and leaves you with this “legend” that has all the ceremony of ordering a pair of headphones online. It just devalues the whole thing and removes any concept that these things are at all relevant to the setting beyond being a new design tossed in for marketing.

I want them to make in-game events to find these things again. Something that makes them feel important to the setting and gives you a feeling of accomplishment for getting them. All they’d have to do is join the modern era and make them some form of DLC (preferably, free DLC) or at least some timed events on the server.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

It’s the lack of fanfare, partly. We get some amazing creatures said to have immense power and importance in the dex. Instead of having a quest that displays said importance or even having any NPC acknowledge it, you get it handed to you by some guy in a Pokémon Center.

It sucks out anything interesting from the exchange and leaves you with this “legend” that has all the ceremony of ordering a pair of headphones online. It just devalues the whole thing and removes any concept that these things are at all relevant to the setting beyond being a new design tossed in for marketing.

I want them to make in-game events to find these things again. Something that makes them feel important to the setting and gives you a feeling of accomplishment for getting them. All they’d have to do is join the modern era and make them some form of DLC (preferably, free DLC) or at least some timed events on the server.

:yeah:

I remember last year or maybe 2017 they had a yearly giveaway of every Legendary you couldn't obtain in the games. And while that was neat and helped me get some of them, it's still just "Free Legendary" with no event.

At least let me catch them in a new location!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Geostomp posted:

:shrug: Well, I mean, they're event pokemon. You're not supposed to have them at all, it's just a participation reward for showing up at some crappy PR event. I understand your sentiment, but at the same time, it's a lot like complaining about pre-order cheat DLC being more powerful than the Mystical Legendary Sword +6 because it's not lore-compliant.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DeafNote posted:

I miss the events we used to have in Gen 3 and 4
Like Darkrai's island, or the never actually released item that gets you Arceus.

I don't think anyone outside of Japan ever got any of those events aside from the Latios/Latias one.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Cardiovorax posted:

You're not supposed to have them at all

then they shouldn't exist

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In that game, I mean. At least, that's the kind of event legendary I'm assuming people are talking about. They're always in the game because you could transfer them over from an older save, you just can't get them there.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
They've never really gone all-in on Legendary Pokemon quests and I feel like they should. The Regis was about the closest they got. But I'm envisioning something like a more involved version of the UB stuff, decipher legends and use them to track it, collaborate sightings with NPCs, culminating in a battle you feel like you've earned.

Anything other than buying it off Amazon.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I mean this might be blasphemy to some, but the original bird trio kinda suck. Like, they're just really big birds who happen to be stronger than the average really big bird. Zapdos is cool, but Moltres has weird body proportions and Articuno is just there. Granted, each one is based on a cool bird from mythology, but I've never felt they really lived up to those origins. Compared to stuff like Gen 5's being centerpieces of a region's culture, Gen 6's being a personified cycle of life and death used to power various doomsday weapons, and Gen 7's being dimension-hoping space monsters, having three big birds feels really bland. Its not really a hindsight thing either, even as an eight year old kid I remember being really underwhelmed with them.

Mew and Mewtwo are pretty cool though!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's why I said they were designed before the series really knew yet what it wanted its legendaries to be for the setting. Later Legendaries are basically Shinto-style local godlings, or less-local gods. The Gen1 trio of legendaries are extra special big birds in a world that already has plenty of regular big birds.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cardiovorax posted:

That's kind of an exaggeration given how many of them they've given away via wifi events and not in-location events.

I'm more mad about Meltan/Melmetal, myself. gently caress ever going through the nonsense you have to go through to get that. I really hope the Gen 8 games have an easier way to get your hands on one.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I mean this might be blasphemy to some, but the original bird trio kinda suck. Like, they're just really big birds who happen to be stronger than the average really big bird. Zapdos is cool, but Moltres has weird body proportions and Articuno is just there. Granted, each one is based on a cool bird from mythology, but I've never felt they really lived up to those origins. Compared to stuff like Gen 5's being centerpieces of a region's culture, Gen 6's being a personified cycle of life and death used to power various doomsday weapons, and Gen 7's being dimension-hoping space monsters, having three big birds feels really bland. Its not really a hindsight thing either, even as an eight year old kid I remember being really underwhelmed with them.

Mew and Mewtwo are pretty cool though!

You're not wrong. The original birds kind of suck. The beasts from Gen II are a step up, but they're still not all the way there yet. I think the Regis are the first time one of the legendary trios really hit it right.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Meltan is the one that doesn't evolve unless you have Pokemon Go, right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vandar posted:

That's kind of an exaggeration given how many of them they've given away via wifi events and not in-location events.
Yeah, ok, that's a fair point. Nintendo Wi-Fi etc. from the more recent games would kind of skew that. Still, that probably just means it's like one in a thousand players who actually bothers, rather than one in ten-thousand.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't you need Pokemon Go to get it in the first place?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah you need pokemon go, and to complete a really dumb and boring and forever taking quest chain, and to have a phone that will actually connect to the switch

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This Bisharp sounds Nessosary to our party lineup.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
You can catch Meltan without doing the quest; all you need to do is transfer Pokemon to Let's Go!.

Melmetal... is another story. You need 400 candies to evolve it. You get 30 minutes of Meltan catching time a week. It takes walking 20 kilometers to get a Meltan candy via the buddy system - every other Pokemon that requires 400 candies to evolve, to contrast, needs just one.

It's awful, especially since - like with every other Mythical, seriously - you can't do anything in-game with it. Even the new Master Trainer system they introduced as the main/only post-game doesn't help, since that's purely a stat-check for legendary Pokemon (rather than a combat-based stat check like non-Legendaries).

Being locked behind Fuschia City isn't as bad as it might be because Let's Go is relatively freeform, but it still takes forever to actually get Melmetal, so it's kind of a wash. At least it's there for the new post-game Trainers...?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, ok, that's a fair point. Nintendo Wi-Fi etc. from the more recent games would kind of skew that. Still, that probably just means it's like one in a thousand players who actually bothers, rather than one in ten-thousand.

Even so, there's enough people getting extras and helping get them into the system that if you really want one of the event Pokemon, it's usually pretty simple to get your hands on one.

It's still lovely, but it's not as dire of a situation as it used to be.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

LiefKatano posted:

You can catch Meltan without doing the quest; all you need to do is transfer Pokemon to Let's Go!.

Melmetal... is another story. You need 400 candies to evolve it. You get 30 minutes of Meltan catching time a week. It takes walking 20 kilometers to get a Meltan candy via the buddy system - every other Pokemon that requires 400 candies to evolve, to contrast, needs just one.

That's what, 8000 km? You can walk that easily if you just walk from say, Vancouver to Honolulu and back again!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vandar posted:

Even so, there's enough people getting extras and helping get them into the system that if you really want one of the event Pokemon, it's usually pretty simple to get your hands on one.

It's still lovely, but it's not as dire of a situation as it used to be.
Yeah, with a combined sales of 301 million units (holy poo poo, I nearly choked when I looked that up) it would still add up to a lot of event legendaries in the system.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back. Today, the LP officially transitions into what I could consider the mid-late game stage. Northern Torren, which we're about to enter, is the domain of the Infernal Cult.

Starting with the next update, we're going to be seeing a lot of them.

guest.

Winning the popular vote with 6 votes was Squirtle.

Bulbasaur had 5 votes, and Charmander had zero. While I'm mildly disappointed that Bulbasaur didn't win, I'm still quite happy with Squirtle. (Bulbasaur was my first pokemon ever back in Red.)

Next we have some administrative tasks to perform.

HenryDavid finally earns his well-deserved retirement. :patriot: The little dude kicked more rear end than I would have given a Throh credit for. He will be missed.

DragonKick is brought onboard as his replacement.

I'm a tad disappointed nobody came up with a chess pun for his name. Though Centaurion works too.

Given the AI's love of stat decreasing moves, I feel Defiant is a better choice than Frisk.

Karate Chop might seem like an oddly weak move for something with stats like Centaurion has, but don't forget that his mega evolution 1) has a base attack stat equal to Mega Gyarados, and 2) has Technician. Even just as a "normal" Delta Bisharp, his stats are on par with Fancy's.

Also no item means he can pull some Hot Bullshit with 110 power Acrobatics spam.

Well, Nasca town was nice. But let's keep moving onward.

The cave leading out of town has a weird number of fossil pokemon.

Just past we find the Murk... oh really!? Yes, that's a Nurse Joy right there at the exit of the forest. Not entirely sure why she's here but sure, whatever.

The forest is actually a lot less complex than it appears. The critical path is S-shaped. You start in the bottom left and the exit is in the middle right.

Normally I don't show what happens in the fights against random trainers, but...

:psyduck:

My first time through, I completely forgot about this entrance. Once we get into the upcoming town, we'll get a sidequest to go take care of the spiders in the forest. They live in here. I didn't find this location until I was nearly ready to take on the Elite Four. Just as well because we can't finish the quest in there until we have a super lategame ability.

I'm having a really bad day.

Sorry to hear that.

This guy was a trainer with a Zoroark for a pet. I may have accidentally one-shot it.

This is going to be the start of a running theme in the back part of this game. Lots of trainers that walk up to us, spout inanity, demand a battle, and then yell at us for beating them in said battle. This is what happens when you use lead pipes to carry potable water!

In case you really wanted a Leafeon, you can finally evolve that Eevee you've been carting around all game.

Jaern's cult of personality is very dangerous.

:toot:

Maps.

Entirely by accident, I found the forest's hidden grotto.

And here's our prize now!

Delta Scraggy's line is pure grass type, with the abilities Rough Skin (Inflicts damage to the attacker on contact), Rivalry (Deals more damage to Pokemon of the same gender), and Anger Point (Hidden; Maxes the Attack stat after the Pokemon takes a critical hit). It learns a lot of physical grass moves, so it's perfectly usable.

There's not much else to say. It learns good moves and it has the stats to support them. It's very okay. Out of all the Delta Pokemon that exist, it sure is one of them.

I don't give him a nickname because I sincerely doubt I'm going to use him.

Becoming a Pokemon Ranger sounds pretty rad. Where do I sign up?

Hello?

I want to join. Please let me. :(

We're actually most of the way through the forest. But before we leave, there's a very important place to visit first.

Over on the left, do you see what appears to be the border of the forest?

It's a semi-hidden path. If you get closer, it's a little easier to see.

Some day I will be able to replace this move with something else, but it is not this day.

It's oddly fitting that Fancy was the one to get us access back here.

This little clearing has a house and a second, well hidden, grotto. Let's hit up the house first.

I've been waiting for this.

For whatever reason, he only has a single Ampharosite, but infinite everything else... including this little beauty. I've been waiting for this ever since I first decided to use Fancy.

Mega evolution boosts Donphan's stats to 600BST, with a staggering 150 base attack and defense. However, and most importantly, it has an absolutely beautiful ability... Irrelephant. Immunities mean nothing to a pokemon with the Irrelephant ability. With it, Fancy can gently caress up anything with, say, Levitate. She can hit a flying type with Earthquake. It's as busted as it sounds.

:getin:

Just behind the house is the grotto I mentioned above. No need to save scum this one, as it has only a single pokemon inside.

Delta Shinx is a pokemon I'm torn on. First off, getting the introductions out of the way, it is Steel/Poison type. Its three abilities are Sniper (Powers up moves if they become critical hits), Poison Touch (May poison a target when the Pokemon makes contact), and Venomous (Hidden; This Pokemon always badly poisons).

This pokemon is set up to be a fairy's worst nightmare. If its hidden ability sounds broken, I would like to point out it's not the only pokemon with that ability... merely the first. The others get it as a regular ability, but they only become available in the very late normal game, or in postgame areas.

So here's the deal, I would love to use this guy, but it's gonna be a monkey's paw sort of situtaiton. If we use Delta Shinx, then Beeisel gets benched. It's gonna be a one-or-the-other sort of situation. Both are insanely weak to ground moves, and both have the insane resistances of Steel type. Delta Luxray, however, is all about attack (120 base attack) while we all well know how tanky Delta Vespiquen is.

So which is it gonna be?

And if we pick Luxray, then we'll also need a good nickname for the venomcat.

As per request...

Anyway, let's move on.

Am I alone in thinking that these artists look like Jamie Hyneman?

A quick detour before we finish up the forest.

In the postgame, Keldeo shows up back here. Until then, though...

Heheheh...

Oh we can pull some bullshit with you my little friend. Anyway, back to the main forest.

Let's put Fancy through her paces.

Two rounds of non-boosted Rollout was enough to take out Cherrim, while Gogoat went down on the third round.

Level 63 mega-evolved stats!

Oh right, we were in a trainer battle.

And we're out of Murk Forest!

Hekate Town would be another of those stopover towns were it not the site of an arbitrary block. It's very small and has only a handful of houses. It's not even worth posting a map of.

This is part of the reason why. Hekate Town is split into three very tiny sections that are very far apart on the map.

We'll to to the top right flame first.

help me out with something?

Uh, sure.

We can't help him until after we get the 7th badge.

This old bastard won't let us leave until we clear out the local cult infestation. This whole region is full of cowards willing to hide behind a preteen girl.

The Elite Four are insanely strong. Their pokemon are all around level 90. Our strongest, Beeisel, is only 64 at the moment. That's still a single level behind Mew in the first update. We've come so far, but we still have an incredibly long way to go.

half as skilled as London is.

but I wouldn't be too sure.

For the most part, yeah. A good water or ground type will make most of the Infernal trainers cry.

:toot:

An out of work miner? Why does that sound familiar?

This little plot detail from way back in the 8th update is coming home to roost. Basically, the Infernal Cult set up shop in the Fiery Caverns for some reason and kicked out all the workers.

I'm glad some people are happy to see us.

creeps.

Same.

Hell yeah I'll take Drain Punch!

Fire Stones!

children, instead.

not sit in."

:stare: Quick Balls are insanely hard to come by in this game, so that lady was very generous!

arrived, nobody's been allowed in.

Fiiine. We'll do that...

NEXT TIME: Meeting the Infernal Cult.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Aww, Delta Shinx isn't as cool and good as I thought it'd be. :sigh:

Don't bench our good friend Beesiel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Keep the bee, I don't like Delta Shinx's design. It looks like they went far overboard in the eyes so...I dunno, way too cute but in a horrifying way. Like a Neopet.
Delta Scraggy is pretty boring too which is a bad thing when your base is Scraggy of all things.

Also, am I missing something with Mega Donphan's design? The back sprite clearly shows two tusks on each side, but I can't find the second on the front sprite at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Normally I don't show what happens in the fights against random trainers, but...

:psyduck:
It's this kind of silly attention to detail that really makes this game good. Suicide Hiker is not dangerous, or edgy, or even bothersome, he's just a one-off "well, drat :(" gag for the sake of having it. That Ranger guy is also great, in fact most of the random trainers are great just for the constant positive reinforcement of "wow, you're great! We like you!" that feels like it's taken right out of the main games. This game really wants you to feel good about yourself.

Delta Luxray is hilarious and would fit in right with a pack of those pompadour hyenas.

GregorCanteberry
Feb 12, 2014
I say replace Delta Vespiquen. Poison and Steel means if you came across another steel type, you're screwed. ...but you just beat the steel type gym, so I think it's fine to justify it.

As for a name, although it's female, I think the name 'Bancho' works well, because of the pompadour.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He really didn't have time for this. :allears:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cardiovorax posted:

It's this kind of silly attention to detail that really makes this game good. Suicide Hiker is not dangerous, or edgy, or even bothersome, he's just a one-off "well, drat :(" gag for the sake of having it. That Ranger guy is also great, in fact most of the random trainers are great just for the constant positive reinforcement of "wow, you're great! We like you!" that feels like it's taken right out of the main games. This game really wants you to feel good about yourself.

Delta Luxray is hilarious and would fit in right with a pack of those pompadour hyenas.

I think the Hiker was just tying to get into the proper mindset of his Graveler by using their most famous tactic of uselessly detonating themselves whenever threatened.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

GregorCanteberry posted:

As for a name, although it's female, I think the name 'Bancho' works well, because of the pompadour.

Fun fact: the female version of a bancho is a sukeban! :eng101:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Don't bench the bee!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vandar posted:

Fun fact: the female version of a bancho is a sukeban! :eng101:

quote:

The common signifiers of sukeban (described by the Japanese police in 1980s pamphlets as "omens of downfall")
Oh, Japan. :allears:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Keep the bee. I can't stand Delta Luxray's design, it just looks so... dorfy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Bee for life. :colbert:

I keep saying it but I'm gonna keep saying it, Insurgence has wormed its way into my heart like a vicious parasite and I'm enjoying it and these updates a lot, it's got charm to it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The creator likes pokemon. It makes all the difference in the world.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A lot of fan-game creators like Pokémon. The team of this fan-game clearly likes Pokémon for what it actually is rather than what they think it should be. That's what really makes the difference.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Now I wanna see a platformer where the bear and bird are in leather jackets, called Bancho-Kazooie.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

A lot of fan-game creators like Pokémon. The team of this fan-game clearly likes Pokémon for what it actually is rather than what they think it should be. That's what really makes the difference.
We're contrasting it with Reborn, where the creator is on record as not liking Pokemon

Like, in general.

EDIT: I think they even stated they don't like turn-based RPGs as a whole

Zereth fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

We're contrasting it with Reborn, where the creator is on record as not liking Pokemon

Like, in general.
Yeah, but Uranium is still terrible and the creator of that one isn't on record as openly hating Pokemon, just as thinking he knows what it should be better than Gamefreak does. That's probably the attitude more representative of awful edgy fangame creators in general.