Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

AVP arcade owned

This game fuckin' rules because among many many other things the characters' guns overheat (or in her case need to be reloaded periodically) after excessive use but then there's these ultra cathartic stages where the game announces that for some reason the guns don't overheat here and you're standing on top of an APC barreling through dozens of xenomorphs just blowing the gently caress out of all of them. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

It would kind of own if the xenomorph's blood was the key to the cure for cancer or cold fusion or a room-temperature superconductor or whatever and WY was right all along. A bug hunt where the handicap isn't setting off a nuclear reactor by accident but the fact that if you kill that alien a million space-grandmas are gonna freeze to death during the winter because their municipal heating company's xenomorph was shot 27 time by a space cop.

That's literally the post-Alien III Dark Horse run. Following the clean-up of Earth from the Alien War, a lot of those series revolved around harvesting royal jelly from xenomorph queens, which was some sort of pharmaceutical cure-all and performance enhancing drug, typically involving schemes like sending lots of contracted Colonial Marines to capture a Queen (Aliens: Genocide) to synthetic xeno infiltrators (Aliens: Harvest/Hive, Aliens: Stronghold) to whatever the gently caress goes on in Aliens: Labyrinth, etc. I think around the time of the Aliens: Colonial Marines comic series (not to be confused with the game), there was a group of transhumanist cult that apparently got addicted to xenomorph royal jelly and mutated into xeno-human hybrids.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

For the record, this is basically the plot of Doom 2016 and that game loving owned.

Turns out Hell is also a source of infinite energy and by tapping into it the evil megacorp that starts the whole mess basically solved the energy crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaYsxWQV8EU&t=60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_rA-7A8LNs&t=1356s

The doomguy can't be hosed to figure out how to delicately turn off the hell energy powering bitcoin rigs on Earth so he just fucks it right up. Doom 2016 is Good.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 6, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaYsxWQV8EU&t=60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_rA-7A8LNs&t=1356s

The doomguy can't be hosed to figure out how to delicately turn off the hell energy powering bitcoin rigs on Earth so he just fucks it right up. Doom 2016 is Good.

That and the Wolfenstein reboot turning out to be really good has been a very pleasant surprise in the last few years of gaming.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Weren't those both games Goons swore were going to be poo poo too?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
As far as I know no.

Some goons were down on the sequel but as far as I’m aware they still are.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Len posted:

Yeah, Doom's marketing was mostly around the lovely multiplayer iirc so it was a bad look til the game came out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Len posted:

Both series have had bad reboots before. Including the completely forgettable faux open world Wolfenstein of...I want to say 2009?

But these ones had a clear idea of what they were. I'd compare it, clumsily, to a film with a clear vision. The new Doom, you moved fast and killed demons. The more demons you killed, the faster you healed, and the more ammo you got. It encouraged aggression, which is something sorely missing in a lot of FPSs, that reward hit and run so your health can recover. This went 'nah, gently caress that, kill that guy with a chainsaw and get more stuff'

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Len posted:

esperterra posted:

Yeah, Doom's marketing was mostly around the lovely multiplayer iirc so it was a bad look til the game came out.
IIRC Bethesda also didn't send out review copies before the game came out, so yeah, it was looking fairly grim until release when everyone found out that, holy poo poo, this is actually the best Doom game since 1994 and one of the best first person shooters in years :eyepop:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thats a good point. FPS' in the post Halo landscape are addicted to regen (health, shields, etc) which means downtime so your character can recover.

And Doom needs you to be constant moving, so they reworked the mechanics of engagement to give you that incentive. It's a great touch and was a good way to show how they approached the reboot.

Admittedly it looked kind of iffy in the previews but it totally works great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Thats a good point. FPS' in the post Halo landscape are addicted to regen (health, shields, etc) which means downtime so your character can recover.

And Doom needs you to be constant moving, so they reworked the mechanics of engagement to give you that incentive. It's a great touch and was a good way to show how they approached the reboot.

Admittedly it looked kind of iffy in the previews but it totally works great.

Somebody made the point that the giant main characters of Gears of War, mountainous men with chainsaw guns, spend a lot of the game hiding behind things and firing from a stationary position. I replayed Doom 3 in the lead up to the new one coming out (it was 3 dollars on Steam or something) and it is a weird hybrid game. It's the lighting of a survival horror, but with no ammo management. It's got the immersive set up (or an imitation of it) of a half life game, but that all vanishes after the first ten minutes. The enemies just rush straight at you, like they did in old school FPSs, but there's only ever a couple of them at a time. It's just a mash up of old and new ideas most likely designed by committee.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

IIRC Bethesda also didn't send out review copies before the game came out, so yeah, it was looking fairly grim until release when everyone found out that, holy poo poo, this is actually the best Doom game since 1994 and one of the best first person shooters in years :eyepop:

It didn't help that the game went through one hell of a troubled development period. Development on the game actually started shortly after Doom 3 but it dragged on for years with very little progress. IIRC, it was originally going to be another Call of Duty knockoff and that version got far enough through development that they were showing off demo videos at E3. At some point the development team underwent a MASSIVE shift in design philosophy, pretty much scrapped everything they had, hit on the idea of using heavy metal album covers as inspiration for Hell and the rest is history.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

Both series have had bad reboots before. Including the completely forgettable faux open world Wolfenstein of...I want to say 2009?

But these ones had a clear idea of what they were. I'd compare it, clumsily, to a film with a clear vision. The new Doom, you moved fast and killed demons. The more demons you killed, the faster you healed, and the more ammo you got. It encouraged aggression, which is something sorely missing in a lot of FPSs, that reward hit and run so your health can recover. This went 'nah, gently caress that, kill that guy with a chainsaw and get more stuff'

IIRC one of the devs mentioned they loved Bloodborne and I could sorta feel that in the game (if you haven't played Bloodborne has a thing where if you take damage, you can regain life by hitting stuff within a narrow window afterwards), both games expertly make you play like a cornered animal in the best way possible. It's not just "kill poo poo with a combo" or "kill a lot of poo poo" to do well, it's "completely ruthlessly fuckin' own everything" to do well. The two games both perfect that glass cannon razor's edge between enemies killing your or not and I really do think there's a difference between them and other games that are like, intrinsically about how your character kills poo poo on every level vs. games where you just run around and kill a lot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Goons "The marketing gives away too much this is going to be poo poo"

Also Goons "The marketing doesn't give away enough this is going to be poo poo"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Len posted:

Who are you talking to?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Len posted:

You know how the latest gen of internet film criticism is built largely around people declaring certain things Objectively Bad and then using those to make neat tidy lists of proof that a movie is bad because it contains them, even when tons of good movies they like do as well? Gamers invented that, and Doom is a pretty good case study in that: it's a reboot of an old IP with none of the original talent working on it that turns it into a linear shooter with character progression and an added emphasis on storytelling and regenerating health and a tacked-on multiplayer mode and one-button melee kills with unskippable canned animations and collectibles and a quest arrow and a lore codex on the pause menu...but literally none of that matters because it's a good game that is fun to play.

Len posted:

GOONS: I'm too smart to let marketing effect my purchasing decisions

ALSO GOONS: I didn't watch/play that because the trailer made it look bad

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 7, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The multiplayer was bad and they did lead with that so really goons were right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

As far as I know no.

Some goons were down on the sequel but as far as I’m aware they still are.

I thought the second Wolfenstein was a little overstuffed and the “see you next game” cliffhanger was a bit lame, but the gameplay was still incredibly solid and makes for a really fun game.

It’s hard to be too critical of a game that lets you gently caress up Nazis and the klan.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought the second Wolfenstein was a little overstuffed and the “see you next game” cliffhanger was a bit lame, but the gameplay was still incredibly solid and makes for a really fun game.

It’s hard to be too critical of a game that lets you gently caress up Nazis and the klan.

Something about it just didn't mesh with me as well as the first one. I won't buy a third but I'll rent it to kill more Nazis and maybe Hitler again

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Len posted:

Something about it just didn't mesh with me as well as the first one. I won't buy a third but I'll rent it to kill more Nazis and maybe Hitler again

As much as I like seeing the alternate-America, I don’t think the setting fit the game nearly as well. I mean I totally get why they decided to do that, but sneaking around as part of a desperate European Resistance cell in the first one just felt more interesting in terms of story.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
As much as the marketing played into the "gently caress nazis" zeitgeist of the immediate aftermath of Charlottesville, 2 was written right after the first one and it shows because spending most of the game showing how happily complicit most of America was with their new occupation and brooding about whether America is even worth saving if Nazis could co-opt its culture and ideals so easily and then throwing that all out the window with a generic rousing speech and one of the worst covers I've ever heard feels very much of the same cultural landscape that made Hamilton! a cultural touchstone for the class of people responsible for letting Trump become president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRQ4fyw5zzM

The fact that the next game in the series seems to be throwing the entire amazing alternate history superscience aesthetic in favor of 80s neon like some gritty version of Kung Fury makes me not have a lot of faith in their ability to get what people liked about The New Order in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p25P-IDMY0Q

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Youngblood iirc is a side game anyway, and not actual Wolf 3.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think Youngblood is just their standalone DLC thing, you know

Like the other one

Called The Old Blood

They’re just pulling a Farcry and doing a Blood Dragon stylized stand-alone about characters we’ll probably not see in the third, probably 70s-based, full Wolfenstein game beyond them being six years old or something instead of “here’s another side story about BJ Blazkowitz”, because why not?

But they clearly get what people like about the mainline games, which is “can I get cooler ways to explode, decapitate, shred, disembowl, or deglove Nazis, please, because gently caress Nazis”. If they could only figure out more satisfying difficulty curves and level design (is there anyone who played New Order that didn’t find themselves going “where the gently caress do they want me to go” for five minutes at least once?), they’d be golden.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Cameo posted:

I think Youngblood is just their standalone DLC thing, you know

Like the other one

Called The Old Blood

They’re just pulling a Farcry and doing a Blood Dragon stylized stand-alone about characters we’ll probably not see in the third, probably 70s-based, full Wolfenstein game beyond them being six years old or something instead of “here’s another side story about BJ Blazkowitz”, because why not?

But they clearly get what people like about the mainline games, which is “can I get cooler ways to explode, decapitate, shred, disembowl, or deglove Nazis, please, because gently caress Nazis”. If they could only figure out more satisfying difficulty curves and level design (is there anyone who played New Order that didn’t find themselves going “where the gently caress do they want me to go” for five minutes at least once?), they’d be golden.

I just beat TNO and am currently a decent way into TNC and I’m finding TNC also good but not as a great as TNO. Definitely some weird level designs that leave you confused frequently

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

For the record, this is basically the plot of Doom 2016 and that game loving owned.

Turns out Hell is also a source of infinite energy and by tapping into it the evil megacorp that starts the whole mess basically solved the energy crisis.

Satan would have won

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Though IIRC the megacorp gradually devolves into a doomsday cult because of its effects.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Will Jim Carrey's Eggman have any chance of looking as good as this fanart?

https://twitter.com/kungfuman316/status/1082116348149448704

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I will no poo poo be disappointed if the mustache doesn’t extend a foot outward from each nostril as god and baby Jesus intended

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eggman is always the best part of any Sonic media.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is his full name Dr. Eggman Robotnik?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik IIRC

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

esperterra posted:

Also, games marketing and advertising as a whole is not to be trusted, so when a return to fast-paced movement-based combat was announced, I was extremely skeptical but I’m glad to have been proven wrong, because DOOM (2016) does own.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/2G51R6f.mp4

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That has a rather large role in the climax of The House with a Clock in its Walls and yes it pees

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can someone please hit Eli Roth with a brick?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
aww, man. i loved those books and the casting with Black is so good but piss jokes are so inappropriate for the gothic horror tone.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't read the books but the movie was a lot of fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The clock is stored in the walls.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik IIRC

Dr. Kintobor, if ya freaky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Enos Cabell posted:

I haven't read the books but the movie was a lot of fun.

Yeah it wasn't that bad even though Kyle MacLachlan is totally wasted behind makeup.