Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Drone Jett posted:

If Butcher was writing at a reasonable pace he’d have already published Peace Talks years ago and none of you would have been confused. What a jerk!

Oh please don't start this whiny entitlement complex horseshit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drone Jett posted:

If Butcher was writing at a reasonable pace he’d have already published Peace Talks years ago and none of you would have been confused. What a jerk!

Oh boy

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Does Air France have a reputation for crashing?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Crashing in a metaphoric sense, yes. Very Dresden Files "peace talks" meta.
Peace Talks aka "negotations" in modern France have always been insane, Air France especially so.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/05/air-france-workers-storm-meeting-protest-executives-job-losses-paris
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-14/air-france-labor-talks-weighed-down-by-pilot-leader-s-fate

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Coincidence, I think. The jet is Boeing: they have a very distinct pull-up alarm.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Coincidence, I think. The jet is Boeing: they have a very distinct pull-up alarm.

Yeah, I found that picture and saved it only because of the "Pull Up" txt, not because of the carrier logo.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Read that as “Full Up” for a second and thought the implication was the entire thread was going down with no survivors.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A very valid interpretation given the last few pages.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In fact, Air France's most high profile crash was caused by too much pulling up.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just finished the newest Laundry files audiobook and I don't think it was very good.

Even going into it with the knowledge that it was a new narrator (and funnily enough that there has been new narrators in the past hasn't bothered me) the new narrator was just, awful. Everyones voices sounded completely different from their characters.

Pete turned from a northernly english vicar to a gruff scotsman. Pinky and brain turned scotsmen as well?

And then there's the events of the story.

Pete turned into a nazgul fang and probably going to commit suicide, brains and derek also turned into fangs.

It was a pyhhric victory when they're short of resources as it currently stands.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tithin posted:

Just finished the newest Laundry files audiobook and I don't think it was very good.

Even going into it with the knowledge that it was a new narrator (and funnily enough that there has been new narrators in the past hasn't bothered me) the new narrator was just, awful. Everyones voices sounded completely different from their characters.

Pete turned from a northernly english vicar to a gruff scotsman. Pinky and brain turned scotsmen as well?

And then there's the events of the story.

Pete turned into a nazgul fang and probably going to commit suicide, brains and derek also turned into fangs.

It was a pyhhric victory when they're short of resources as it currently stands.

The series ended 3 books ago when Cthulhu ate planet earth. The end.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

As much as I want to read Peace Talks, I want to read book two of The Cinder Spires far more!

Anyway, looking for some suggestions. I need a new series to read, tried The Laundry Files and it didn't do it. The first Monster Hunter International book by Larry Correia was good, but I didn't make it through the second one, just seemed like more of the same thing from the first book.

I love Dresden, I really liked the Nightside books by Simon R Green to give a baseline of books I like in this genre, any suggestions for a good series that I haven't tried yet? I'd like if they were good in audiobook format too, since I listen to audiobooks while working out and am fresh out there as well. I just finished what's out so far of a couple different Sci-Fi series, so I figured I'd switch it up for a bit.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

when is the new dresden files out

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

deathbagel posted:

As much as I want to read Peace Talks, I want to read book two of The Cinder Spires far more!

Anyway, looking for some suggestions. I need a new series to read, tried The Laundry Files and it didn't do it. The first Monster Hunter International book by Larry Correia was good, but I didn't make it through the second one, just seemed like more of the same thing from the first book.

I love Dresden, I really liked the Nightside books by Simon R Green to give a baseline of books I like in this genre, any suggestions for a good series that I haven't tried yet? I'd like if they were good in audiobook format too, since I listen to audiobooks while working out and am fresh out there as well. I just finished what's out so far of a couple different Sci-Fi series, so I figured I'd switch it up for a bit.

Slightly off genre, more scifi techno-thriller but my goto recommendation for a series that is a fun read and good as audiobooks is Patrick Lee's Breach Trilogy

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

deathbagel posted:

The Revanche Cycle & The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy?

The Broken Earth series is also good.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Fallom posted:

The series ended 3 books ago when Cthulhu ate planet earth. The end.

Which one was three books ago? I forgot. Also, why the disdain for the new ones?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Thank you, I'll check out those suggestions!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

A lot of people seem to enjoy the books more when Bob was the narrator but he's gotten too far up the power scale to really be usable.

Also the world ending keeps getting pushed back and back.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

Which one was three books ago? I forgot. Also, why the disdain for the new ones?

Stross couldn't figure out where to go with the main character and decided to branch out into other perspectives to varying results, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't painfully obvious that he's spinning his wheels because he can't figure out what to do with the main plot. He had similar issues with another series he wrote.

imo he moved too fast and the right place to stretch things out was way earlier in the series when he was writing about the adventures of Bob Howard the working-level government functionary and not when the end of the universe was literally happening but apparently isn't such a big deal that he can't drop another half dozen novels without moving things forward.

Also the superheroes plotline was loving stupid.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 6, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I kinda LIKE that the series is a continued set of Pyrrhic victories at this stage of the game. Case Nightmare was always about the survival of humanity at any cost, and the cost was always assumed to be very high.

What I don’t like are the new first person protagonists who sound nearly just like Bob but aren’t Bob. If they were more distinct, maybe it would help. But instead we have not-Bob with Bob-adjacent problems

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I had a few weeks off work and I've made my way through most of the Dresden series, enjoying it for the most part though I found myself reading through faster and faster as everything gets a bit formulaic. Then I hit book 13, Ghost Stories.

What's peoples take on this one?

I pretty much gave up on the series after trying to get through the first few chapters of this steaming pile of poo poo, so I skipped to the end where Harry, quite predictably, is bought back to life and moved on to book 14 which so far seems a return to form.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BurgerQuest posted:

So I had a few weeks off work and I've made my way through most of the Dresden series, enjoying it for the most part though I found myself reading through faster and faster as everything gets a bit formulaic. Then I hit book 13, Ghost Stories.

I pretty much gave up on the series after trying to get through the first few chapters of this steaming pile of poo poo, so I skipped to the end where Harry, quite predictably, is bought back to life and moved on to book 14 which so far seems a return to form.

It's my favorite book of the series which is usually a book's death knell as far as anyone else is concerned.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BurgerQuest posted:

Ghost Story is the book that defeated its author, and it shows. It is my least favorite of the series.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Didn't like it at first but once it got going I thought it was pretty good.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

BurgerQuest posted:

I’ll give it a reread but I liked it, especially the Star Trek bridge scene. The book also sets up the big “wtf” Harry scenes for skin game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Story is just boring and uncreative which is a huge problem for a gimmick book. It's mostly an excuse to do some flashing back and Harry coming to terms with guilt but honestly Cold Days and even Skin Game did that better. It might not be a problem except the new characters it introduces are unmemorable and dull and Butcher clearly couldn't figure out how to make ghost scenes interesting so they're all just regular fight scenes.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good to know I'm not completely nuts. To be honest I pretty much blitz through all the battles as they come up, it's some boring poo poo and the outcomes are the same 99% of the time. If it seems like I missed some dialogue important to the plot I'll skip back for it. I can see myself getting through these last two ok. Are his other series worth checking out after?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fallom posted:

Stross couldn't figure out where to go with the main character and decided to branch out into other perspectives to varying results, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't painfully obvious that he's spinning his wheels because he can't figure out what to do with the main plot. He had similar issues with another series he wrote.

imo he moved too fast and the right place to stretch things out was way earlier in the series when he was writing about the adventures of Bob Howard the working-level government functionary and not when the end of the universe was literally happening but apparently isn't such a big deal that he can't drop another half dozen novels without moving things forward.

Also the superheroes plotline was loving stupid.

Wheel spinning? Outside of the superhero book (which also first outed the whole thing to the public and set up a bunch of stuff for the current situation) I don't see it, since every book moves things very, very quickly into the endgame of the Apocalypse, which seems a fine pace, since he said the whole story will be over in 3-4 books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Ghost Story was about at the same level as the rest of the series but I disliked that bit where he's in Molly's mind and it's the bridge of the starship Enterprise. I'm not sure why. I just didn't like it. At the same time, I feel like I was getting less and less interested in Dresden in general around that time. Maybe if I read them all again I'd be more charitable.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Dresden is one of the more consistent series, but the more the "big story" takes over, the less compelling they are for me. They aren't really the Dresden files anymore, the casebooks, but incrimental reveals of a story I don't like that much. Butcher is still entertaining, but less compelling.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

BurgerQuest posted:

A mild thread consensus (?) and my take is that Ghost Stories works as an interlude book if you consider Changes-Ghost Stores-Cold Days as a 3 part arc. Individually I find it weaker than the average books because the change of pace isn't as well executed.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Xtanstic posted:

A mild thread consensus (?) and my take is that Ghost Stories works as an interlude book if you consider Changes-Ghost Stores-Cold Days as a 3 part arc. Individually I find it weaker than the average books because the change of pace isn't as well executed.

I liked it better on a re-read than I did originally.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I don't like Ghost Story even on reread, but I listen to Dresden on audiobook so it's impossible for me to separate my dislike of Ghost Story as a book from the fact that it's the only DF book without James Marsters as a narrator, which really colored my experience.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don't like Ghost Story even on reread, but I listen to Dresden on audiobook so it's impossible for me to separate my dislike of Ghost Story as a book from the fact that it's the only DF book without James Marsters as a narrator, which really colored my experience.

After fan outcry, James Marsters went and read it, so see if you can hunt down that version.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you got it through Audible it should switch to the Marsters version the next time you download it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Aerdan posted:

After fan outcry, James Marsters went and read it, so see if you can hunt down that version.

Audible even gave it to people for free as a replacement of the old narrators version, which they also let people keep.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tithin posted:

Audible even gave it to people for free as a replacement of the old narrators version, which they also let people keep.

Was that a limited time thing? Cause I just checked and it says it’s $10 for me still, even owning the old one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

EVGA Longoria posted:

Was that a limited time thing? Cause I just checked and it says it’s $10 for me still, even owning the old one.

Contact their support. I think it was a time limited thing, but they might take care of you

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Decius posted:

Wheel spinning? Outside of the superhero book (which also first outed the whole thing to the public and set up a bunch of stuff for the current situation) I don't see it, since every book moves things very, very quickly into the endgame of the Apocalypse, which seems a fine pace, since he said the whole story will be over in 3-4 books.

I haven't finished the most recent one yet, but I'm still very much enjoying the series. I could have done with 1 or 2 more Bob novellas but I could see that getting repetitive pretty easy.

As for the "superheroes" being dumb... did people miss the point of that? The whole TLEAF/TPCU/whatever thing was propaganda and I'm sure it's supposed to appear to the reader as just as hokey and dated looking as the "safe within the magic circle" posters that Pete digs up that one time.

Or did people get it but think it was lame? I enjoyed it for the same reasons and on the same level that I liked the rest od the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not really kept up with the last few Laundry books. I think the last one I read would have been the one with Mo as the narrator. They were just a bit too miserable for me; the earlier ones were pretty bleak themselves but I feel that they still had a sense of humour. Maybe I'll try them again when the series is done.

I'm not really reading much in the way of new urban fantasy these days. I'll read a Kim Newman book when it comes out and he's still my favourite in the genre inasmuch as he's in it, and I still check out Rivers of London when it gets a new one (though I'm always behind on them because I wait for the paperback release), but lately I haven't felt much of an inclination towards any particular author. For ages I thought I would re-read the Dresden Files but I've not really been able to muster the enthusiasm for whatever reason.