Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

600hz is primarily for 25fps/50i PAL playback too. It's the next jump up from 120hz, as it's the first number that covers 24, 25, 30.

I used to have a Panasonic G20 plasma, so a few generations before yours. The T of the GT meant 3D support, yes? My main issue with the G20 was the 'floating' black level, which was really noticable in films displayed with black bars at top/bottom. It could hit really nice black levels at times but would shift to greys. I'm not sure if they resolved that in the G/GT series down the line, but the blacks being absolute zero to a pixel precision on the OLED is great. Naturally the wider color gamut will be an improvement.

You'll be right at home with the LG, if you went LCD/LED you might find yourself missing the Panasonic at times.

Yeah, it stood for 3D support, I believe they did fix it in the later version. And what is funny is I had the G20 and had the best buy warranty and like a month before it expired my tv blew up and they upgraded me to the one I have now, lol. The LG look's like it was $200 bucks cheaper a few weeks ago, so maybe I will wait a bit and grab it when it get's back down to $1,700. Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It'll drop again right before the super bowl. Slickdeals typically shows the best deals. The 65 was as low as 1899 and 1999/2199 were fairly common. The 55s were as low as 1399.

You will not be disappointed.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Oh drat, good to hear about 1399, camelcamelcamel showed the lowest price on amazon was $1,700. Good to hear I can get it cheaper

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

fyallm posted:

And what is funny is I had the G20 and had the best buy warranty and like a month before it expired my tv blew up and they upgraded me to the one I have now, lol.

I do like a good end to a warranty story. I had 5 years cover on mine but never needed it, and sold it to a friend cheap when I moved. As far as I know it’s still working! I managed to price match the store to themselves, as they had a 30 day promise and ended up lowering it a few days before that expired. Almost paid for my Blu-ray player which was nice.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

fyallm posted:

Thank you for this writeup! My old Panasonic is plasma so great to hear it will be night and day. Looking back at the tv it said mine had 600hz, was this just some old marketing gimmick?

I also do watch alot of sports (but I am pretty sure the cable companies still only push out 1080 so the tv will still be limited by that right?) so the motion blur on a soccer bar was very noticeable.

I checked price history and the A9F was ~$2,500 on Nov. 27th. So looks like I will have to wait a bit if I want to grab that tv. So your suggestion is the A9F looks a little better than the C8 but the big impact is the audio capabilities of the A9F?

It looks a bit better, but yes I think a lot of the price tag goes into its speakers. The same can be said with LG OLEDs, the biggest difference between the different grades of their panels is mostly the audio equipment, which is of course pointless compared to even the most pedestrian sound bars. LG OLED TVs notably have 2.1 speakers built into them to take advantage of Atmos. They're still tiny tinny speakers pointing at out the back towards your wall though.

I'd say it depends, if you can get the C8 for $2,000 or less I don't really see the A9F being enough of a difference to warrant such a significant increase in price tag, keep in mind I've been obnoxiously calibrating TVs for awhile and have all kinds of TVs in my home for watching VHS, or playing SNES, or viewing HD content, so differences I notice might be entirely pointless and insignificant to anyone who isn't a huge nitpicker. The C8 is such a good TV you'll hardly feel wanting for anything potentially slightly better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

foutre posted:

Oh yeah, I should have clarified. It isn't replacing anything, as-is I've just been watching stuff on my monitor (which is 144hz/1440p/IPS and a nice monitor, but also only 27").

For the TV, I really just want a larger screen that's better situated in the living room.

The $500 isn't a hard cap, and I'm definitely alright waiting for sales if the 600 series would be a pretty substantial jump in exchange for going ~$100 more. I've never shopped for TVs before (which is probably immediately obvious) so if it's a substantially better experience for not that much more I'd be willing to spend more for it.

There are 3 components to UHD.

Resolution
Color Gamut
High Dynamic Range

Sub $500 TVs do the resolution bit and sometimes make a token attempt at HDR, but most don't do Wide Color Gamut.

Really though, HDR and WCG are the two most important bits to UHD. Resolution is noticeable, but WCG gets home theater to the same color space as cinema. HDR actually takes things a step beyond most cinema presentations, expanding dynamic range 10x or more over non-UHD.

The R615/617 is the minimum price point where all three sides of the UHD triangle are well represented to the point of having a noticeable impact.

Of course, that's all dependent on source material though too. However, Amazon and Netflix originals have gone UHD almost universally and UHD movie rentals from sources like Vudu are coming down in price a lot.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 3, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Resolution
Color Gamut
High Dynamic Range

Sub $500 TVs do the resolution bit and sometimes make a token attempt at HDR, but most don't do Wide Color Gamut.

Small point here, as you know 'UHD' is a marketing term that refers purely to 4K. So you will see plenty of very cheap TVs that have 4K resolution but no/bad HDR and a crappy color gamut, but they will be labeled UHD. Really those are the 3 components to a Good Modern TV.

Again though the vast majority of the buying public doesn't give a drat about any of this stuff if they have to pay more for it, and manufacturers know this. Consumers will eat up $200-300 4K panels for days and days, price and size is king. Most probably don't care if it's 1080p/4K either.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 3, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Resolution
Color Gamut
High Dynamic Range

Really though, HDR and WCG are the two most important bits to UHD. Resolution is noticeable, but WCG gets home theater to the same color space as cinema. HDR actually takes things a step beyond most cinema presentations, expanding dynamic range 10x or more over non-UHD.

The R615/617 is the minimum price point where all three sides of the UHD triangle are well represented to the point of having a noticeable impact.

Of course, that's all dependent on source material though too. However, Amazon and Netflix originals have gone UHD almost universally and UHD movie rentals from sources like Vudu are coming down in price a lot.

Something Offal posted:

Small point here, as you know 'UHD' is a marketing term that refers purely to 4K. So you will see plenty of very cheap TVs that have 4K resolution but no/bad HDR and a crappy color gamut, but they will be labeled UHD. Really those are the 3 components to a Good Modern TV.

These are good points, who's making that new OP

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

JebanyPedal posted:

I've been obnoxiously calibrating TVs for awhile and have all kinds of TVs in my home for watching VHS

Get out

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

JebanyPedal posted:

It looks a bit better, but yes I think a lot of the price tag goes into its speakers. The same can be said with LG OLEDs, the biggest difference between the different grades of their panels is mostly the audio equipment, which is of course pointless compared to even the most pedestrian sound bars. LG OLED TVs notably have 2.1 speakers built into them to take advantage of Atmos. They're still tiny tinny speakers pointing at out the back towards your wall though.

I'd say it depends, if you can get the C8 for $2,000 or less I don't really see the A9F being enough of a difference to warrant such a significant increase in price tag, keep in mind I've been obnoxiously calibrating TVs for awhile and have all kinds of TVs in my home for watching VHS, or playing SNES, or viewing HD content, so differences I notice might be entirely pointless and insignificant to anyone who isn't a huge nitpicker. The C8 is such a good TV you'll hardly feel wanting for anything potentially slightly better.

Thanks everyone!

That is one thing I never did with my old tv was calibrate it because everything I read was that the THX settings that came with that plasma were really good. I might PM you if you don't mind to help calibrate the c8 whenever I get it here in a few weeks.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

fyallm posted:

Thanks everyone!

That is one thing I never did with my old tv was calibrate it because everything I read was that the THX settings that came with that plasma were really good. I might PM you if you don't mind to help calibrate the c8 whenever I get it here in a few weeks.

Yeah sure, if the settings are similar to my C7 I should be able to give you a general setting that will be in the right ballpark for general accuracy. Fortunately LG is pretty good with providing some settings that are fairly on point out of the box. Anything beyond that would require a professional with the right calibration tools obviously.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
LG announced either today or yesterday some new features coming to their 2019 lineup, including the C9 and E9. Big things I can recall are HDMI 2.1 ports, 120 Hz, and a new processor chip. They're also gonna release an 8K 88" LED.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

qbert posted:

They're also gonna release an 8K 88" LED.
What would be the purpose of that right now other than being a perfect setup for really sharp 3D?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

What would be the purpose of that right now other than being a perfect setup for really sharp 3D?

Turns out they're also releasing an 8K OLED, so the LED model might just be to sell 8K to willing customers for cheaper.

They're using some new marketing term they coined called "NanoCell"

quote:

LG’s NanoCell line will offer much wider viewing area than competing LED TVs, along with purported improvements to color accuracy and black levels, and even slimmer bezels.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

NanoCell debuted in 2017 models actually. Not to say they haven't improved on it, but it's not new.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I have this on my wall already, with a 55“ plasma on it. I know it says up to 55", but say I got something like a 65" c8, I really don't see any reason why it couldn't work, or am I missing something?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I have this on my wall already, with a 55“ plasma on it. I know it says up to 55", but say I got something like a 65" c8, I really don't see any reason why it couldn't work, or am I missing something?

It'd probably have more to do with the respective weights rather than the dimensions.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It'd probably have more to do with the respective weights rather than the dimensions.

One is 49 lbs and one is 48

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

NanoCell debuted in 2017 models actually. Not to say they haven't improved on it, but it's not new.

Yeah it's just a marketing thing. Per Ars:

quote:

the SM9X and SM8X LCD lineup has been rebranded to NanoCell TV "to better highlight the picture enhancement provided by NanoCell technology (NanoColor), color accuracy in wide viewing angle (NanoAccuracy), and ultra-narrow thin bezel with sleek design (NanoBezel)." That's a lot of gratuitous misuse of the term "nano," but there you have it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Yeah all those bullshit terms individual companies come up with to brand their own features just goes right over my head.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BonoMan posted:

I thought Philips only rebranded in the US but make their own stuff in Europe? (Which is why you can't get the awesome ambilight tech stateside)

SlowBloke posted:

Current euro philips are tcl made last time i checked, sorta like blackberry(philips dictate the features and design and tcl build them to specs). Tcl cannot sell ambilight kit (be it tcl or philips branded) to avoid eating what little market presence philips proper has.

So, more confusion about the Philips branded TVs:

In the USA, there has been an on-again, off-again relationship between Philips and Funai (based out of Japan). In July 2018 Funai signed a new deal for marketing Philips-branded televisions, Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD players in North America so currently they're on-again.

We're now going to see the results of that deal with new Philips brand sets to be shown at CES:

http://4k.com/news/philips-unveils-new-4k-uhd-tvs-with-android-for-ces-u-s-market-in-2019-25002/

They will have at least some support for HDR standards. They will run Android TV as the smart OS, with Google Assistant button on the remote:

And the 5904 series will have a far-field microphone for use with Google Assistant, enabling the TV to work essentially like a giant Google Home Hub.

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/03/philips-android-tv-us-google-assistant/

They will not be the same Philips sets that are sold in the UK and they will not have Ambilight.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

These are good points, who's making that new OP

If nobody else is, I will.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rastor posted:

They will not be the same Philips sets that are sold in the UK and they will not have Ambilight.

Goddamn thanks for the post necromancy ;).

Also, no Ambilight, no deal. Seriously why won't they sell Ambilight TVs in the US!?!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I Kickstarter a HDMI passthrough ambilight box like four years ago and they still haven't shipped anything.

I almost regret ever getting an ambilight because now I know how cool it is. :/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

EC posted:

I Kickstarter a HDMI passthrough ambilight box like four years ago and they still haven't shipped anything.

I almost regret ever getting an ambilight because now I know how cool it is. :/

A cursory googling indicates there are a couple different options available

https://get.ambiscreen.tv/order1_paypal.php?id=1

https://lightberry.eu/shop/shop/

https://www.dreamscreentv.com/product-category/kits/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looking at a used LG 55” LS5700 for $400 CAD, does that sound decent for a 6-7 year old tv? Any notorious issues with that model?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know CAD is worth less than USD, but that sounds awful. Why would you consider this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know CAD is worth less than USD, but that sounds awful. Why would you consider this?

It’s about $300USD if that helps. I guess the reasoning is that my TV is GARBAGE right now and I can’t find anything in the 55-60” range for less than twice this price.

I guess I can find lots of other uses for that $400 right now if this TV isn’t absolutely hideous like my current one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Save up some scratch and get a TCL 6xx. Otherwise there's not really any reason to spend that little on a TV. Sure it might be fine and an upgrade over your current set but value wise it's a waste.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The remote for my LG C8 has a sticky left button on the dpad. Any idea on how I could fix it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

Save up some scratch and get a TCL 6xx. Otherwise there's not really any reason to spend that little on a TV. Sure it might be fine and an upgrade over your current set but value wise it's a waste.

That’s a good point. What about a refurbished one like this?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

EC posted:

The remote for my LG C8 has a sticky left button on the dpad. Any idea on how I could fix it?

Get a screwdriver and crack it open and clean it

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Should I expect any quality differences between LG or Sony panels or larger screen sizes? I've already returned one 65" A9F for bad tinting on half of the screen, but I've got a decent offer on a 77" C8 that I'm considering instead of replacing the Sony. I read a number of complaints about the 77" C8 PSU making a loud buzzing noise and a lot of issues with LG OLED banding and uniformity problems, but I'm not sure if that's an issue with all LG/77 screens or if that's just because the LG TVs have been out longer and owned by more people.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

When do the 2019 LGs start shipping? New apartment means it’s new TV time.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Thinking of upgrading my 37 inch tv.

I'm wondering if the extra £350 of the Samsung Q9F is worth it over the Q8F.*

From what I've read, the 40 local dimming zones of the Q8F are noticeable.

*Q8DN in England

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

When do the 2019 LGs start shipping? New apartment means it’s new TV time.

I believe last year LG released pricing at the beginning of March and started shipping first half of April.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Come on sub $2000 CAD 80" OLED's! :kiddo:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

LG's TV announcement stuff is at the 51 minute mark on this page's video
https://www.lg.com/us/ces

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Thinking of upgrading my 37 inch tv.

I'm wondering if the extra £350 of the Samsung Q9F is worth it over the Q8F.*

From what I've read, the 40 local dimming zones of the Q8F are noticeable.

*Q8DN in England

There are two potential thread title renames here: Just buy the TCL, and Dont buy Samsung (QLED is fake garbage!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Apparently in addition to Apple Homekit and Airplay, along with Alexa support as well on the new LG tvs, there will be built in WISA support as well. Anyone have any insight on WISA home theater set ups and if they are worth a drat?