Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Seems like adding more judges would help even out scoring. With just three cards, one outlier can have an enormous impact.

I'd like that. I dunno how they pick which sides the 3 judges sit on now, but it'd be no worse an imbalance with 5.
You usually see one judge with really bad scores; would be interesting to see how they would try to buy from 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Hate to be that guy but I'm assuming more judges-which I am certainly at least not opposed to but in favor in principle-would be mainly for world title level fights just like how VAR is used for like Champions League football right?

Cause at least the first thing I think of in terms of practical application is that no promoter (or commission given how many of them are run ) is willing to pay for 2 extra judges for the vast majority for their fights

Edit: one of the applications of this i favor is how the World Boxing Super Series has an additional judge in case a bout is scored a draw who serves as a tiebteaker

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 3, 2019

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Hate to be too cynical but I believe bad judging is not the result of incompetence

Teddy Atlas makes a good analogy about the owner of the New York Yankees taking all the officials out for a meal and paying for their accommodation and expenses just before they play in World Series...that's basically what happens with boxing judges

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
James DeGale vs Chris Eubank Jr has been announced for the end of February. Good fight between two smallish 168ers at career crossroads, though DeGale has much more wear on him and is much closer to the end. This is a must win for Eubank if he wants to continue to be in the mix for big fights. Technically this is a must win for DeGale as well, but DeGale has said that he expects to retire at the end of this year, so it doesn’t really matter as much for him. Ultimately I would like to see Eubank move down to 160 anyway.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In regards to the fight itself I'm mainly just curious to see if DeGale is more washed than Jr is bad, as a boxing business junkie DeGeale-Eubank is interesting to me because it's the first Premier Boxing Champions branded card to take place overseas and I'll be interested to see how PBC and Haymon do there

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eubank has made poor use of his talent and built in legacy and I doubt he'll ever right that ship fully. DeGale is done though, and while he could maybe put one more performance together, I think Jack beat the fight out of him.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Also Amir Khan has officially decided to fight Terence Crawford next, probably on April 20th, so he’ll be suffering another bad knockout on the day.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Also Amir Khan has officially decided to fight Terence Crawford next, probably on April 20th, so he’ll be suffering another bad knockout on the day.

Better than Luis Collazo at least

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Will Khan struggle any to make the weight, do you think?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Why would he?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He's in his thirties, I just thought he might be getting heavier as he ages. I mostly asked because a bad cut supposedly makes a hard knockout even worse.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
He made the weight against Lo Greco and Samuel Vargas fairly easy iirc. They have just been discussing different weights for Khan for the Kell Brook fight because Brook cant make 147 at all.

Edit: actually Lo Greco was at 150 but I remember that was mainly because Lo Greco could not make 147

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 4, 2019

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Khan is 5'8 and was fighting at 140 like 5 years ago. He turned pro at lightweight. He's not a big guy at all and has 0 problems making 147.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i guess this closes the lid on us ever getting an even slightly meaningful brook - khan fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

thehappyprince posted:

i guess this closes the lid on us ever getting an even slightly meaningful brook - khan fight

that window closed years ago. brook is still a world class fighter and i can't remember the last time khan was

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Khan-Brook is still a good fight even if it won't be as relevant as it was a few years ago. To be honest I was never that big on either guy, they both are talented without being special. There was a brief window where both fighters were seen as p4p prospects but it was always a long shot that either one would be the next Pacquiao or Mayweather. So from that perspective I don't think it matters much if they fight this year or next year instead of three years ago, either way the draw of the fight is the domestic and career rivalry between the two of them.

As for Khan-Crawford, I think it's actually a pretty decent style matchup for Khan. Crawford doesn't have the size advantage on him that Canelo did and Khan himself is still one of the fastest dudes in the sport, which I think will help him compete against Crawford's technical style. Bud's a very accurate puncher and an excellent finisher but I'm not convinced he has the same punching power at welterweight that he had at lightweight. It's a good fight imo even if I don't really see Crawford losing it.

In other news I still intend to put out a new OP sometime between moving cross country and starting a new job in Michigan. Hopefully by the end of the week.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Marching Powder posted:

that window closed years ago. brook is still a world class fighter and i can't remember the last time khan was

Khan looked really good against Canelo. Well, before.....you know.

And that was 2 years ago. Time flies.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
People have always overrated Khan because of his early hype and his speed I guess. He went life and death with B level guys like Lamont Peterson (lost) and Julio Diaz (got dropped, barely won) in his prime. He went the distance in a close decision against Chris Algieri a few years ago. He got dropped and looked pretty terrible in his last fight against journeyman Samuel Vargas. That's not even counting the numerous times he's been sparked out, against varying levels of competition. Crawford may not have 10/10 power at 147 but he's still going to knock Khan out. He's also going to be the best fighter that Khan's ever fought.

I would have much rather have seen Khan/Brook, which Khan had a shot (though would still be the underdog) at winning.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
khan also slowed to like half speed by the time canelo knocked him out so hard a sensible person would have hung up his gloves. does he have 12 rounds of speed anymore?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Khan is an absolute scrub and trash person. He has absolutely zero business fighting a p4p top guy like Crawford. Against Vargas he looked like some middling club fighter, and Vargas could have laid him out if he had like 10% more talent. Khan should fight Kell and retire and thank his lucky stars he was ever given the opportunity to make all this money from this sport cause a bunch of stupid British bacon men remembered him from his career highlights which were all in the early 2010s.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Adrien Broner has two court dates tomorrow in two different states for two different sex crimes. Not sure if this will effect his Pacquiao fight.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 7, 2019

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Adrien Broner has two court dates tomorrow in two different states for two different sex crimes. Not sure if this will effect his Pacquiao fight.

Such winners are attracted to this sport.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

david carmichael posted:

Very excited for conor to make his 121 lbs debut

Skip My Posts posted:

lol business genius over here

https://twitter.com/TeppenTenshin/status/1082300957013139458

Called it

gently caress da' bofe of ya's

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

khan also slowed to like half speed by the time canelo knocked him out so hard a sensible person would have hung up his gloves. does he have 12 rounds of speed anymore?

He was always a 4 round fighter

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

He was always a 4 round fighter

sounds like a real prospect to win 12 round fights with zero chin!

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

How foolish of me. I am very excited for conor to make his 127 lbs debut

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

sounds like a real prospect to win 12 round fights with zero chin!

Yes. Khan is good fighter, but his style was always more suited to the amateurs and he relied singularly on his speed. He's a one dimensional fighter whose one dimension is very good. I don't even think his chin was as bad as is said (although it's probably shot now) it's just that his poor ring IQ and tendency to move in and out on straight lines meant that any fighter who could get past the blistering speed and get the timing down could land hard shots. That's why he's had trouble at the top level of the sport, because the tools he uses to demolish lower level fighters just don't work against guys with good timing.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

david carmichael posted:

It's just business

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

david carmichael posted:

At least Tenshin won't take him down.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Christophe Dettinger: Boxer surrenders after clash with riot police in Paris

BBC posted:

A former professional boxer who was filmed at the weekend punching a police officer on a bridge in Paris during a "yellow vest" protest has been detained by police in France.

Lol. Relevant video is here on Twitter.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pretty solid boxer. landed some really solid hits on that bewildered cop.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Ha, I saw that video posted and thought he looked like a solid punched. Fair play to him. Apparently he took a dislike to the officer being heavy handed on people who weren't being violent so jumped down to defend them.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
GGG was supposedly going to sign a tv deal before the end of the year but obviously didn't. There have been conflicting reports about whether or not he split with Tom Loeffler's 360 promotions (some said hes totally out, others said just being phased out gradually) and now he is in a twitter spat with Rafael.

https://twitter.com/TomLoeffler1/status/1082406257376485376?s=19

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1082407125589114881?s=19

FWIW I think everything points to GGG-with or without Loeffler- ultimately signing with PBC.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 8, 2019

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

willie_dee posted:

Such winners are attracted to this sport.

stfu

shut da gently caress up

willie_dee posted:

Ha, I saw that video posted and thought he looked like a solid punched. Fair play to him. Apparently he took a dislike to the officer being heavy handed on people who weren't being violent so jumped down to defend them.

shut up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Just saw that Pacquiao-Broner is on PPV? For seventy five dollars???

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah buddy don't you know? All we care about is what are "good fights for his career" and "a smart move" and "lucrative deal for the promoters" and "bound to draw in big numbers" we don't actually care about compelling match ups between fighters who can maybe both beat each other and are trying to prove they're the best against good competition. Its actually cool that fights are only ever put together to dupe to the most people who don't know anything about boxing and only know 2 or 3 big names out of the most money.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Look I'll be the last person to hate on a guy who gets punched in the head for my entertainment wanting to get the biggest paycheck possible.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anyone who pays that amount for that fight has more brain damage than the participants

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

anyone who pays that amount for that fight has more brain damage than the participants

Lol this 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it’s on itv4 for free in the uk 😎

(i probably won’t be awake for it tho)