Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Kagemusha and Ran are masterpieces, and Dreams is the kind of film that I think would've found a much bigger audience if it were made today.

He really didn't make any bad films. I need to see Dersu Uzala though.

Dersu Uzala is legit, it's crazy how good his movies are. Even the stuff he just wrote/worked on but ended up not being involved in the production of is pretty good like Runaway Train. Tora! Tora! Tora! is probably the only not great thing he was involved in, and even then the only good things about it were stuff leftover from when he was involved.

I sometimes do wish we could have gotten the timeline where his original concept for what became Seven Samurai got made. The entire movie was going to take place over just several hours and be about a single samurai who hosed up a something minor first thing in the morning. But then for reasons still has to go through the rest of his day like normal, but the action and how he thinks it will be perceived and his attempts to correct it all unravel in his head to the point where when he returns home at the end of the day he kills himself. They scrapped the idea because at the time Kurosawa felt the historical information wasn't available to actually support a super detailed and accurate daily routine for a samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Evil Dead also both used shotguns, so I think "just shoot the drat thing with a shotgun" was a pretty common effects trick of the time. Evil Dead just went whole hog by firing live ammo every time they needed buckshot impacts and hoping nobody got accidentally shot.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

God bless Sam “it’s not like we killed anybody” Raimi.

Now start running Bruce. I’ve got a camera strapped to this dirt bike and we’ve got a chase scene to film.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Bruce, get on this frame. We're going to strap you down, then drive you through the woods. Now somebody hand me the remote to spin him."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tolkien minority posted:

Occult is IMO as good as Noroii, but is more blackly comic and less of a straight horror movie. His others are varying levels of decent to good but not up to the same level

Occult is better than Noroi, specifically because it has the deadpan sense of humor to match the way he portrays the supernatural

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

Wait a loving minute

Did you motherfuckers just talk about loving head explosions and then leave out the best mother loving head explosion in all of loving cinema?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9pgWPsUeTU

This outrage will not be buried!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Burkion posted:

This outrage will not be buried!

Yeah this one is quality.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/shudder/status/1082376619694665728

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Neo Rasa posted:

Tora! Tora! Tora! is probably the only not great thing he was involved in, and even then the only good things about it were stuff leftover from when he was involved.

His WW2 propaganda films are pretty dire, but then no one watches those these days anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Prowler is easily one of the best head explosions in film history. It's Tom Savini perfecting his work from Maniac. Like Prowler legit has some of the best gore you're gonna see

Compared to the Maniac Version

Compared to Scanners

I have to go with Prowler because there's just something about that last piece of jaw that's left. Scanners is ridiculously over the top but for me Prowler is gruesomely realistic.

All of those were done with actual shotguns by the way. Scanners , Maniac, and Prowler.

The thing with Prowler was that the head was not just one piece but multiple pieces. Scanners they made a cast of the guys head and filled it with blood and sheeps brains if I am remembering correctly. Maniac was done the same way. What made Prowler different really was they made the cast but also put in pieces of eyes etc.. tongue just more complete and designed it to "break". Where as the others were just solid casts filled with stuff.

You can see the prosthetic tongue along with teeth they made for the head for Prowler.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 8, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Burkion posted:

Wait a loving minute

Did you motherfuckers just talk about loving head explosions and then leave out the best mother loving head explosion in all of loving cinema?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9pgWPsUeTU

I completely forgot about this, but it still isn't the best.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What makes Prowler really so good is that Savini basically designed everything and was really involved ( he is on all his films) but he really pushed the limits and it really just builds on his other films.

Here is a cool video of behind the scenes gore effects from The Prowler and some other films i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhd2pO887kg

8Minutes in is where you see the head explosion stuff.

The Prowler to me is when Savini became a master of gore and special effects. Like all his other films jut build up to that film and it's still some of the best gore he's ever made.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 8, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Many awesome words about heads blowing up.

Also for me the Scanners explosion doesn't even seem like there's a skull in there.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

speaking of which, I always thought it was funny that The Power (basically depalmas proto scanners) ends with a guy getting his entire body telepathically blown up except for his head

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 8, 2019

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Monster from Bird Box that was cut from the film

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Windows 98 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ze-8PbK3kw

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Some more good 'uns.

Chopping Mall

Scanners 2

Scanner Cop II

and of course
Dawn of the Dead

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Windows 98 posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bvgpg7yig&t=7s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dude how can you forget:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bird Box sucks rear end

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Whats everyones favorite cosmic horror movie? Still looking for some Lovecraftian film that i love.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

From Beyond is to me the best cosmic horror film ever made.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

OldTennisCourt posted:

This raises a question for a good discussion tbh

Aside from Ghost Ship what are other horror movies with phenomenal openings that poo poo the bed immediatly after?

Santa's Slay wins for me. That opening scene is incredible and the rest of it very much isn't.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Gejimayu posted:

Whats everyones favorite cosmic horror movie? Still looking for some Lovecraftian film that i love.

The Mist

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gejimayu posted:

Alien.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gejimayu posted:

Re-animator, From Beyond, In the Mouth of Madness, Dagon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Bird Box sucks rear end

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gejimayu posted:

no country for old men no wait come back

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I have to rewatch Dagon. I rented it like almost 20 years ago/whenever it came out on video and disliked it but I see so much praise for it here.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched the stuff, the dogs were very good actors, what was the lead even trying to do

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I have to rewatch Dagon. I rented it like almost 20 years ago/whenever it came out on video and disliked it but I see so much praise for it here.

It suffers from some very bad CGI but overall I think it's definitely one of the Stuart Gordon's best pictures.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 8, 2019

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Neo Rasa posted:

Dagon is good you will probably enjoy it on a rewatch while you are older and wiser

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
are you guys not counting The Beyond because the entire head doesn't explode?

I feel like it deserves an honorable mention at least. The glob of brains flying forward when the head snaps back is pretty great

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

david_a posted:

I feel like it deserves an honorable mention at least. The glob of brains flying forward when the head snaps back is pretty great

I'm pretty sure that's flying back

And to the left

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

Yeah, Fulci's always good for some head (especially eye) trauma.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Horror is the best genre.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I didn't like the ending to Bodom. The girls getting revenge on the boys that violated one of them is cool. Erasing that by injecting the "crazy lesbian" trope after? Miss me with that bullshit

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, Fulci's always good for some head (especially eye) trauma.

Fulci seems have a rule that is "if there's a sharp object, it must go through someone's head."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Almost Blue posted:

Fulci seems have a rule that is "if there's a sharp object, it must go through someone's head."

I go back on forth on whether or not I'm amused at how gratuitous it is, he'll stop an otherwise pretty normal movie just to throw that in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I rented Halloween III: Season of the Witch off itunes the other night, but annoyingly, it was in a cropped 16:9 presentation (instead of 2:35:1). Thought I might buy it but the blu is quite expensive, and the DVD is also apparently in a cropped 16:9. Does anyone know if it's available legally online anywhere in its proper ratio? I suppose I could bite the bullet and just purchase the blu, but I've not seen it for years and was pretty high when I did so I'm not sure how much I actually like it.