Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

Tomb Kings aren't evil, they're just your old neighbours yelling "get off my lawn!" :argh:

The issue is that their "lawn" at one point consisted of most of the world, and they're sticklers for tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Beard Wave sucks because fighting dwarfs is obnoxious and you need AP which for some races is hard to bring adequately to bear. But Greenskins rarely come out on top in the Badlands.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

jokes posted:

But Greenskins rarely come out on top in the Badlands.

Ha..haha...ahahahahahaha

(I am so tired of the green tide every.single.campaign)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe I'm just unlucky. Fighting greenskins rules. You get so many great territorial chokepoints and greenskins can't help but attack the first settlement they come across. Easily defended, fun as poo poo to fight, greentide rules.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Venom Snake posted:

My public order would go way down and until the past 50 turns or so order was kinda a problem for me because of vampire corruption then skaven corruption. My economy is doing really well so I don't feel as if Iv lost out on anything. That red spot in the bottom right is that fortress that belonged to "The Traitor Gits", I had to go all the way down there to find orks to get ghal maraz, didn't get it till like turn 190 or so because the dwarves wiped out all of the works.
Ah that makes sense I guess. I guess I'm just too much of a stickler about Pretty Borders and having the economy of Brettonia and the Empire is just silly. I never got Ghal Maraz because in my campaign Karl Franz went from fighting the Vampires in Brettonia to fighting the Vampire Counts to fighting Chaos and he never was within a 3 turn march of any Greenskin lands.

jokes posted:

Maybe I'm just unlucky. Fighting greenskins rules. You get so many great territorial chokepoints and greenskins can't help but attack the first settlement they come across. Easily defended, fun as poo poo to fight, greentide rules.
In the aforementioned Empire run I took Akendorf (Border Princes settlement just south of the Vampire Counts) and had to garrison an army on the river crossing because Greenskin armies came across every few turns to raid/attack.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sounds about right. It's minor upkeep to contain an entire Empire. A properly manned and defended Akendorf is unassailable.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I will never get tired of shooting the poo poo out of Greenskins.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I apparently just won the game, as it has informed me after I wiped out some random beastmen that I am victorious. If I really liked the Empire would I like the dwarves? Artillery and ranged troops are my fav

quote:

Ah that makes sense I guess. I guess I'm just too much of a stickler about Pretty Borders and having the economy of Brettonia and the Empire is just silly. I never got Ghal Maraz because in my campaign Karl Franz went from fighting the Vampires in Brettonia to fighting the Vampire Counts to fighting Chaos and he never was within a 3 turn march of any Greenskin lands.

The dwarves and other human nations helped a lot when pushing back on the vampire counts. Brettonia decided to ally with me fairly quickly so i saw no reason to conquer them. Also oddly enough the wood elves just wiped out the Skaven like it was nothing, but not before I lost an army because I didn't know skaven lived in ruins.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

toasterwarrior posted:

I will never get tired of shooting the poo poo out of Greenskins.

The real reason to hope for a greentide. A Beard Wave is some bullshit.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Venom Snake posted:

I apparently just won the game, as it has informed me after I wiped out some random beastmen that I am victorious. If I really liked the Empire would I like the dwarves? Artillery and ranged troops are my fav

Yes, dwarfs are very good at shooting and artillery. So are Vampire Coast if you have game 2 and the DLC. Wood Elves have good shooting, Skaven have good artillery as well

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

To be honest, artillery and ranged troops are pretty much all Dwarfs have, because impossible to kill infantry are only good in conjunction with something that can actually kill back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

The real reason to hope for a greentide. A Beard Wave is some bullshit.

Greentide is more fun for everyone, but it's especially more fun for any race who is predisposed to ally with the Dwarfs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

To be honest, artillery and ranged troops are pretty much all Dwarfs have, because impossible to kill infantry are only good in conjunction with something that can actually kill back.

Playing as Belegar your rangers become a pseudo cavalry and it's insanely killy and fun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

Playing as Belegar your rangers become a pseudo cavalry and it's insanely killy and fun.

And Ungrim gets Slayers so cheap that you can somewhat lean on them as line infantry, so his entire army is good at killing mans.

But yeah, Dwarfs are my faction of choice because I've always loved blowing poo poo up in Total War and they're the "quality" option for it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Venom Snake posted:

The dwarves and other human nations helped a lot when pushing back on the vampire counts. Brettonia decided to ally with me fairly quickly so i saw no reason to conquer them. Also oddly enough the wood elves just wiped out the Skaven like it was nothing, but not before I lost an army because I didn't know skaven lived in ruins.
Yeah I only went after Louen Leoncour (spelling?) because he was a dick and killed off and occupied the Orcish settlement near Marienburg, which I had wanted to use to farm experience with the army I have guarding the mouth of the big empire river from Norscan raiders. Then Louen lost the little settlement near Couronne to the Norscans and were letting Chaos Corruption through so I said fuckit. And the Red Duke owned like four settlements and Vampire Corruption was problem so then I took him out, and after that, I had armies standing there soooo all of a sudden I had 75% of Brettonia, signed NAPs and Trade agreements with Parravon and Carcassone, then marched off content that my west flank was secure. After that it was Manifest Destiny the empire lands that were getting ravaged by the Vampire Counts; my need for Pretty Borders lead me to confederate as often as possible.

Its really cool to me how the same campaign can play out so differently. I may have botched about the random armies and think that autoresolve ratios/numbers are funny, but overall the game is really well done and I cant get enough of it right now.

toasterwarrior posted:

And Ungrim gets Slayers so cheap that you can somewhat lean on them as line infantry, so his entire army is good at killing mans.

But yeah, Dwarfs are my faction of choice because I've always loved blowing poo poo up in Total War and they're the "quality" option for it.
What is a good starter Dwarf faction? I tried about 50 turns of Karak Kadrin (the one with the red field and two white triangles as the flag). I killed the Orc faction that I started next to but after that I felt like I needed to sit and develop my economy and military buildings for a good twenty turns. I sent a foray into Vampire Count lands because of all of the corruption seeping into my lands but their armies all constantly looked way more powerful than mine so I ended up wandering south through their lands and fought some orcs who were wiping out a different Dwarf faction just south of the Vampire Counts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 7, 2019

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What is a good starter Dwarf faction? I tried about 50 turns of Karak Kadrin (the one with the red field and two white triangles as the flag). I killed the Orc faction that I started next to but after that I felt like I needed to sit and develop my economy and military buildings for a good twenty turns. I sent a foray into Vampire Count lands because of all of the corruption seeping into my lands but their armies all constantly looked way more powerful than mine so I ended up wandering south through their lands and fought some orcs who were wiping out a different Dwarf faction just south of the Vampire Counts.

Anyone except Belegar just because the public order penalty from his starting Grudge can be hard to handle as it builds up.

Dwarves are generally a solid early game faction with strong early infantry. Not attacking for 20 early game turns is a massive waste in any circumstance, but especially with Dwarves.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

I swear by Grombrindal. He's got a unique blue line that makes him a great faction leader, and his starting units include a flamethrower, which is hilariously fun to use against early game greenskins

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My Von Carstein campaign has prompted me to upgrade my video card. Isabella's Flying Circus is entertaining, but the stuttering is getting old.

EDIT: I've tried several times to start a Malekith campaign, but have never gotten past 30 turns. The delf starts just feel frustrating to me.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 7, 2019

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ravenfood posted:

Greentide is more fun for everyone, but it's especially more fun for any race who is predisposed to ally with the Dwarfs.

They should make wasteland unsuitable for Dwarves imo. Dwarves being able to settle there feels like a relic of the original settlement system as opposed to something loreful

Wasteland as actual wasteland would provide a nice Orc reservoir

SickZip fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 7, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We finally conquered these greenskin tribes, time to move in to their huts-- these piles of shiny junk and mountains of poo poo are ours!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaza42 posted:

Yes, dwarfs are very good at shooting and artillery. So are Vampire Coast if you have game 2 and the DLC. Wood Elves have good shooting, Skaven have good artillery as well

Vampire Coast and the Skaven really creep me out, but after wanting to try the vortex campaign Iv decided to try my hand at Dark Elda......Dark Elves. Any advice on how to kick rear end as them? I chose to start as the crazy hot mom

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Venom Snake posted:

Vampire Coast and the Skaven really creep me out, but after wanting to try the vortex campaign Iv decided to try my hand at Dark Elda......Dark Elves. Any advice on how to kick rear end as them? I chose to start as the crazy hot mom

In my pretty limited experience, darkshards are insane and you can get them right out of the gate. Get a bunch of them and some cheap spears along with whatever cool units you start with and just kill everything.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

darkshards

Dark Elves have some of the best burst damage and mid-range archer units in the game, and they can come with shields that lets them trade even better with their High Elf counterparts. Their very high AP means they will melt many things that can otherwise push through missile file. They also have some good monster units. Eventually, their elite infantry becomes good, but for the most part especially against most of the things you'll be facing your infantry will be nothing to sneeze at, and their cavalry exists but is mostly garbage.

Being that you just played Empire you'll be at home with their surprisingly defensive playstyle. Morathi has a tough start as you'll be dealing with Clan Rictus and Skaven have a good matchup IMO to Dark Elves, since especially as the AI they play very wide. Keep your initial war hydra alive at all costs, it's a good wildcard that will turn a lot of lopsided matches in your favor thanks to its regeneration and breath weapon.

You'll want to punish Hexoatl early in my experience too before they get too strong to challenge you but I never felt I needed to occupy further south than the Forest of the Vipers, and just use Mazdamundi as a source for slaves and raid income. That's the other thing: Always be raiding and always be pushing up your slaves. Focus your buildings on slave income and public order and be ready to constantly putting down rebellions, but you'll be rewarded with some heinous income boosts.

Your diplomatic bonus as Morathi will make confederation easy. I usually target Clar Karond and try to confederate them as early as possible before Rictus and Hag Graef annihilate them to get a big boost of nice land, and then focus on exterminating the Skaven. Try to non-aggression pact and trade with most of the other dark elf factions and take advantage of the fact that your land is filthy rich with trade resources to get some extra income on top of your slave economy.

Also, your public order is going to suck even more in the early game because of Morathi's reliance on chaos corruption, until you upgrade your capital province to Level 5, at which point it reduces faction wide the influence of corruption on your public order by like 90% and becomes a non-issue. Having units suffer attrition in your lands is in theory good but in reality the stuff you wish would be most affected by it won't be, especially since you're playing Vortex and that means you'll be up against Chaos a fair amount each time you perform a ritual.

As Morathi you get some great bonuses to spellcasting and your sorceresses, so it's also a good time to get acquainted with how to use magic in a offensive way. The AI is relatively easy to goad into choke points and the like. I regularly got something like 400 kills as Morathi each battle once I got her to rank 20. Sorceresses get most of the best Lores when it comes to offensive capabilities.

Don't sleep on Death Hags too, they are a great complement because once upgraded and given the brew they can tango with enemy heroes and lords and give some needed leadership boosts to your army on the ground. You can give them a mount that makes them a terror-inspiring chariot that is cool to look at, but I prefer them on foot for the most part. Assassins unfortunately are terrible in combat at their role, they will never be fast enough to really take down a hero or lord on the battlefield, but Dark Elves are uniquely good at agent spamming so you can really put the hurt on your opponents and soften them up. Always assault units and garrisons if you can, especially against High Elves.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

darkshards

Dark Elves have some of the best burst damage and mid-range archer units in the game, and they can come with shields that lets them trade even better with their High Elf counterparts. Their very high AP means they will melt many things that can otherwise push through missile file. They also have some good monster units. Eventually, their elite infantry becomes good, but for the most part especially against most of the things you'll be facing your infantry will be nothing to sneeze at, and their cavalry exists but is mostly garbage.

Being that you just played Empire you'll be at home with their surprisingly defensive playstyle. Morathi has a tough start as you'll be dealing with Clan Rictus and Skaven have a good matchup IMO to Dark Elves, since especially as the AI they play very wide. Keep your initial war hydra alive at all costs, it's a good wildcard that will turn a lot of lopsided matches in your favor thanks to its regeneration and breath weapon.

You'll want to punish Hexoatl early in my experience too before they get too strong to challenge you but I never felt I needed to occupy further south than the Forest of the Vipers, and just use Mazdamundi as a source for slaves and raid income. That's the other thing: Always be raiding and always be pushing up your slaves. Focus your buildings on slave income and public order and be ready to constantly putting down rebellions, but you'll be rewarded with some heinous income boosts.

Your diplomatic bonus as Morathi will make confederation easy. I usually target Clar Karond and try to confederate them as early as possible before Rictus and Hag Graef annihilate them to get a big boost of nice land, and then focus on exterminating the Skaven. Try to non-aggression pact and trade with most of the other dark elf factions and take advantage of the fact that your land is filthy rich with trade resources to get some extra income on top of your slave economy.

Also, your public order is going to suck even more in the early game because of Morathi's reliance on chaos corruption, until you upgrade your capital province to Level 5, at which point it reduces faction wide the influence of corruption on your public order by like 90% and becomes a non-issue. Having units suffer attrition in your lands is in theory good but in reality the stuff you wish would be most affected by it won't be, especially since you're playing Vortex and that means you'll be up against Chaos a fair amount each time you perform a ritual.

As Morathi you get some great bonuses to spellcasting and your sorceresses, so it's also a good time to get acquainted with how to use magic in a offensive way. The AI is relatively easy to goad into choke points and the like. I regularly got something like 400 kills as Morathi each battle once I got her to rank 20. Sorceresses get most of the best Lores when it comes to offensive capabilities.

Don't sleep on Death Hags too, they are a great complement because once upgraded and given the brew they can tango with enemy heroes and lords and give some needed leadership boosts to your army on the ground. You can give them a mount that makes them a terror-inspiring chariot that is cool to look at, but I prefer them on foot for the most part. Assassins unfortunately are terrible in combat at their role, they will never be fast enough to really take down a hero or lord on the battlefield, but Dark Elves are uniquely good at agent spamming so you can really put the hurt on your opponents and soften them up. Always assault units and garrisons if you can, especially against High Elves.

Thanks! Yeah when I played Empire I tried to go as defensive as I could with handgunner firing lines + lots of artillery + steamtanks.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Good Dark Elf tips, was thinking of doing a playthrough with them for some variety after Norsca.

At the moment I'm doing my best to wipe out the Empire and the Crone's faction (who hates me for some reason) while gearing up to tell Archaeon to go gently caress himself and fight me, coward. I know he pops up after I kill the last challenger and I plan to be the only Everchosen around here, thanks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SickZip posted:

They should make wasteland unsuitable for Dwarves imo. Dwarves being able to settle there feels like a relic of the original settlement system as opposed to something loreful

Agreed, actually. I still think that while the climate system is...alright, there should be a tier of actually, completely uninhabitable places for various races, and that the AI should actually respect the system since it currently doesn't. That's a good thought though, and might help stem the Beardtide.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 8, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

team overhead smash posted:

Anyone except Belegar just because the public order penalty from his starting Grudge can be hard to handle as it builds up.

Dwarves are generally a solid early game faction with strong early infantry. Not attacking for 20 early game turns is a massive waste in any circumstance, but especially with Dwarves.
I tried Karak Kadrin again and managed to kill off the Orcs I start off fighting by turn 8. I redlined my economy and was only able to stay afloat by looting and occupying settlements, ransoming captives, and trading a NAP and Mil Access for gold with Zhufbar.

Kaza42 posted:

I swear by Grombrindal. He's got a unique blue line that makes him a great faction leader, and his starting units include a flamethrower, which is hilariously fun to use against early game greenskins
I'll have to try him out next.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does Morathi end up doing anything interesting in Mortal Empires? Does she get a chance to side with Chaos?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

And actually, speaking of being at this point at turn 8 - now I dont know what to do. The Bloody Spearz are south of me so I guess I could get my gravytrain rolling that way? My settlements are small, poor, and growing slow. I am at +99 income and my army isnt even a full stack yet, and I have public order problems that are only going to get worse as Vampiric Corruption creeps in. Should I swing by Waldenhof and burn it down for some cash on my way south?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
One additional note for Morathi - Use your starting assassin pretty much every turn. By the time you get your whole starting province you can likely have him at level 12-15 if you're willing to spend the money on agent actions. I mostly just do assault units and assault garrison, but there might also be an early opportunity to kill a hero. Like tricky dick said, the assassins are pretty terrible in combat but they can do some serious work on the strategic map.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

Does Morathi end up doing anything interesting in Mortal Empires? Does she get a chance to side with Chaos?

I don't think so, but I haven't played her on that map. I think she acts the same as the other Dark Elf factions when Chaos comes knocking. In general her being Chaos-aligned is kind of half-hearted in implementation, much like in the canon. I still really like her start in Vortex though because it has some of the most choice land and a huge variety of enemies to fight.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

And actually, speaking of being at this point at turn 8 - now I dont know what to do. The Bloody Spearz are south of me so I guess I could get my gravytrain rolling that way? My settlements are small, poor, and growing slow. I am at +99 income and my army isnt even a full stack yet, and I have public order problems that are only going to get worse as Vampiric Corruption creeps in. Should I swing by Waldenhof and burn it down for some cash on my way south?
Did you go after the province north of you yet? That capital, Karak Ungor has a gold mine which will help with money problems. Once that's secured you can push south and try to get Mt Gunbad.

Progress will be slow because you only have a 2 settlement province. Focus on growth buildings to tier up your settlements (I get the province to tier 3 before upgrading the capital more). You want to get that northern province sooner rather than later though because public order issues will just get worse and you'll be at a point where you have to fend off rebellions from both capitals for a while.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

SickZip posted:

See also Brettonia liking the desert, which was magically stripped of life, more than temperate islands such as the vaunted paradise of Ulthuan, because they needed to exist somewhere on the Vortex map and because some humans needed to be comfortable in Araby.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 8, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panfilo posted:

Did you go after the province north of you yet? That capital, Karak Ungor has a gold mine which will help with money problems. Once that's secured you can push south and try to get Mt Gunbad.

Progress will be slow because you only have a 2 settlement province. Focus on growth buildings to tier up your settlements (I get the province to tier 3 before upgrading the capital more). You want to get that northern province sooner rather than later though because public order issues will just get worse and you'll be at a point where you have to fend off rebellions from both capitals for a while.
Oh yeah, in my previous post I said that they were dead - I have both provinces secured. The gold mine is being built but its benefits will be gone once I recruit more Slayers to fill out my army. Since I made that post I have ransacked some Necromancer towns and moved south towards Zhufbar and attacked the Bloody Spearz, and I just confederated Zhufbar while typing up this post lol. I guess I'm doing alright!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't think so, but I haven't played her on that map. I think she acts the same as the other Dark Elf factions when Chaos comes knocking. In general her being Chaos-aligned is kind of half-hearted in implementation, much like in the canon. I still really like her start in Vortex though because it has some of the most choice land and a huge variety of enemies to fight.

Your advice has been very helpful, im on like turn 20 of my DE hot mom campaign and I think i'm doing okay? i only control my starting province (with all the cities inside it intact) and random poo poo keeps happening like an entire horde of beastmen rampaged through so I wiped them completely out, but now a rogue army of humans with cannons spawned next to my capital.

edit: oh yeah my hydra is already max rank, he's been getting 200-300 kills per battle lol

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

See also Brettonia liking the desert, which was magically stripped of life, more than temperate islands such as the vaunted paradise of Ulthuan, because they needed to exist somewhere on the Vortex map and because some humans needed to be comfortable in Araby.

They could just give Araby factions different region bonuses like how Khalida likes jungles and whatnot, since their way seems far more convoluted.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i do like the justification for Magical Island being its own climate being "only so many people are equipped to handle weekly attacks by herds of magic-using horses that hate anyone who has ever hosed"

unicorns: real pretty from a distance! absolute motherfuckers at all other ranges!

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i do like the justification for Magical Island being its own climate being "only so many people are equipped to handle weekly attacks by herds of magic-using horses that hate anyone who has ever hosed"

unicorns: real pretty from a distance! absolute motherfuckers at all other ranges!

I don't know what this post means and I'm okay not knowing.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I'm curious what the next DLC will be after we get a Skaven/Lizard lord pack. I see people speculating on Araby/Dogs of War?

Also is that MP discord still open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Both her and Malekith can end up teaming up with Chaos. They are also willing to ally when you play as chaos as factions.

But I have had a few occasions where the two of them will team up with the chaos factions.