Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Neophyte posted:

[citation needed]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-qDGdQy80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

... Checks out. :hmmyes:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cat Mattress posted:

Incinerating Durkon is divine fire was excessive, evil, and also perfectly timed and funny. And he got re-raised immediately after, so no lasting harm done beside some level reduction if that's even a part of the rules that Rich is paying attention to.

I think we all agree with this and can stop talking about it now

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 6, 2019

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Bell_ posted:

It seems like it's within reach in Steven Brust's Vlad books, though some conditions can keep someone beyond revivification.

It’s something Vlad talks about when he’s talking about Morganti killings. He says that there’s a kind of assassination where you are murdered and wake up after your friends resurrect you knowing that somebody was annoyed enough to spend $2000 to let you know in no uncertain terms.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do you think death was perceived as a particularly exhausting nap by Durkons mother

She wasn't an adventurer, who have a literal revolving door in the afterlife.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Who What Now posted:

She wasn't an adventurer, who have a literal revolving door in the afterlife.

It's also an astonishingly large amount of money for most common folk. That she used her windfall to raise five strangers is incredibly telling about her personality.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Right. Because she wasn't an adventurer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah, raising Roy was totally inconsequential and no big deal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah, raising Roy was totally inconsequential and no big deal.

Rich had to go to great lengths to make that an ordeal, including things like "splitting up the party" and "making V unable to use teleport."

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hell, Roy sure didn't seem to think it was a big deal until they told him how long he'd been there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Rich had to go to great lengths to make that an ordeal, including things like "splitting up the party" and "making V unable to use teleport."

Hell, the material cost was handwaved away with a meta gag. You can just assume any adventurers worth their salt can afford a diamond like that. The only actual challenge was uniting the cleric with the corpse.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Well V was has never been able to use teleport, but she couldn't use Divination to find Haley and company.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Who What Now posted:

Well V was has never been able to use teleport, but she couldn't use Divination to find Haley and company.

V could use Teleport for the first few panels of strip #1. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
V will be able to teleport after they go through the rift into an earlier edition of the rules.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I dunno what it is about a creepy neckbearded dwarf-man doing something grodey and awkward and getting owned for it that inspires such deep empathy in the readership of order of the stick :thunk:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lol that didn't take long.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Soo, now that we're past this book's climax (unless twist?), and are on to the mop-up and setting the next one:
I cannot recall if the thread talked about this before, but does anyone else find it ironic that team evil cannot recognize a shell game that's right in front of them?
(prediction - there's a reason the place is named Kraagor's Tomb. Xykon should have investigated it more, and doodled on it less)

Motherfucker posted:

neckbearded dwarf-man
*gasp!*

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Motherfucker posted:

neckbearded dwarf-man

do characters in this stirp even have necks I forget

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shugojin posted:

do characters in this stirp even have necks I forget

Strip 1116 is even titled "neck and neck"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neck and neck. What am neck?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Gun Jam posted:

Soo, now that we're past this book's climax (unless twist?), and are on to the mop-up and setting the next one:
I cannot recall if the thread talked about this before, but does anyone else find it ironic that team evil cannot recognize a shell game that's right in front of them?
(prediction - there's a reason the place is named Kraagor's Tomb. Xykon should have investigated it more, and doodled on it less)

The rift looked a bit bigger than what the statue would be able to cover up in the crayon drawing of Kraagor's adventuring group closing the northern rift. Of course, my read on the crayon drawings is that they're all lies, or at least history-muddled distortions of the truth.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The rift looked a bit bigger than what the statue would be able to cover up in the crayon drawing of Kraagor's adventuring group closing the northern rift. Of course, my read on the crayon drawings is that they're all lies, or at least history-muddled distortions of the truth.

I've seen you mention that a few times but don't know if I've seen your thought process for it and I'm curious. If it isn't a huge amount of effort can you explain?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Len posted:

I've seen you mention that a few times but don't know if I've seen your thought process for it and I'm curious. If it isn't a huge amount of effort can you explain?

It's nothing much. It's just that the crayon stories are all about the past, and in most cases are being told by less than primary sources. Shojo talking about the Snarl, Redcloak talking about the Snarl to Xykon in Start of Darkness, heck, Squeaky telling Durkon about his father. All of these scenes are ones where either the party telling the story has an impetus to lie (Redcloak, Squeaky) or the story has passed through enough generations that it may have been distorted, if it was even accurate in the first place (Shojo.) Shoot, in Start of Darkness Redcloak debunks part of his own story to Right-Eye immediately after Xykon is out of earshot.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Gun Jam posted:

Well, where else are you going to see a shell game other than right in front of you? They're not exactly stadium sports.

But yeah, especially considering Xykon ran the same game with the three skeleton knights at the Battle of Azure City. It'll probably be a plot point again when Haley spots it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

navyjack posted:

It’s something Vlad talks about when he’s talking about Morganti killings. He says that there’s a kind of assassination where you are murdered and wake up after your friends resurrect you knowing that somebody was annoyed enough to spend $2000 to let you know in no uncertain terms.

The Jhereg mafia is actually one of my favorite things in the setting, just because of how hilariously over-the-top it is. It's like if 1/17th of the population of the entire Empire were all cast members in The Godfather.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Phenotype posted:

But yeah, especially considering Xykon ran the same game with the three skeleton knights at the Battle of Azure City. It'll probably be a plot point again when Haley spots it.
That was all Redcloak's plan, and just talking about it bored Xykon so much he fell asleep. :v:

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Wait, why are people assuming it's a shell game? Serini's journal gave the correct locations of Girard and Soon's Gates, so why would she lie about her Gate being in Kraagor's Tomb? She would have no way of knowing that potential future bad guys would pick a fake "Kraagor's Tomb" Gate over either of those real ones (and in fact, the bad guys did not do so). And if she did know that, she would have given fake locations for all the Gates.

It's not a shell game if you're telling the truth about two of the shells having stones under them.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I think they're assuming that the gate is inside the statue, not the tomb

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Wait, why are people assuming it's a shell game? Serini's journal gave the correct locations of Girard and Soon's Gates, so why would she lie about her Gate being in Kraagor's Tomb? She would have no way of knowing that potential future bad guys would pick a fake "Kraagor's Tomb" Gate over either of those real ones (and in fact, the bad guys did not do so). And if she did know that, she would have given fake locations for all the Gates.

It's not a shell game if you're telling the truth about two of the shells having stones under them.

She was an epic level rogue, so it’s kind of natural to assume her design to protect Kraagor’s gate has some trickery afoot. Though she apparently built it to reflect Kraagor’s belief in physical might, so who knows.

Of course she did keep a diary detailing exactly where each gate could be found, which is probably the single stupidest thing she could have done, so maybe the gate is just protected by a sign saying “Very Important Gate! Please Don’t Touch!! :-)”

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the idea is that none of the doors have the real gate, and are just there to kill or infinitely delay people trying to find it. Serini was a Rogue, after all.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Then again, the idea of a revolving door afterlife is taken for granted by players until it suddenly doesn't apply.

Happened for me as a DM when the only player Wizard tried to teleport from the wilderness to the city for some shopping, rolled a 98 on on the scatter, and landed 700 miles deep in the ocean. She had a few sources of fly, but those only last for minutes. With the party being weeks away for a rescue, there was pretty much no way to handwave that permadeath away even with some DM goodwill.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

peak debt posted:

Then again, the idea of a revolving door afterlife is taken for granted by players until it suddenly doesn't apply.

Happened for me as a DM when the only player Wizard tried to teleport from the wilderness to the city for some shopping, rolled a 98 on on the scatter, and landed 700 miles deep in the ocean. She had a few sources of fly, but those only last for minutes. With the party being weeks away for a rescue, there was pretty much no way to handwave that permadeath away even with some DM goodwill.

How do you have high enough level for teleport, but not a single magic item for dealing with water?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you couldn't think of a single society of deep-sea humanoids that could have rescued/captured her, you really weren't trying.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, the idea is that none of the doors have the real gate, and are just there to kill or infinitely delay people trying to find it. Serini was a Rogue, after all.

That's fair, but putting it in the statue in particular would be dumb because that just draws attention to it. It's the first thing someone would think of as soon as they get sick of the tunnels, as demonstrated by the fact that everyone in this thread thinks it's so obvious. If it's at that general location at all (which it probably is since her diary has been accurate so far) it'd be a better idea to just have it actually under the mountain but not connected to any of the tunnels. Just a totally sealed underground chamber with no marker.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

She put the location of every other gate in her diary, then lied about hers and built a random monument to Kraagor in the middle of nowhere about 1000 miles north of Nowhere.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, the Tomb is loaded with countermeasures to prevent people from cheesing it by bypassing the rock walls, so I'd guess the best place to hide the gate would be to put it in an isolated chamber surrounded by all the anti-cheese rock. Hiding it elsewhere with the same countermeasures would draw suspicion and reckless adventurers, and hiding it elsewhere without means of protection would make it easier to find by accident or villains actively searching for it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

If you couldn't think of a single society of deep-sea humanoids that could have rescued/captured her, you really weren't trying.

Yeah this, how did the DM not think to have a boat rescue her to bring her onto some solo pirate adventures?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There is literally an entire humanoid (aquatic) subtype.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah. There are aquatic variants of all races (aquatic elves being the most common), water genasi, merfolk, tritons, monster races like kuo-toa and sahuagin, there are aquatic dragons, aquatic faeries, and you can also improvise something like a forgotten city built long ago by a mage and now inhabited only by servant golems (vaguely Bioshock-y) or a disembodied intelligence that controls water (kinda Abyss-ish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

You could also just say “there is a small rocky outcrop/island within flying distance. You could probably spend an unconmfortable night there but you could rest.”
Then the Wizard has a penalty from loving up a spell (being stuck on an island for an entire day) without it being a sever penalty. (Permadeath)

Then again it can be easy to come up with a solution after the fact than at the time.