Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

like when it’s sitting in the window chirping at squirrels outside and my daughter asks “why is sal talking to the squirrels?” i get to tell her she’s not making those noises voluntarily, that’s her murder instincts amping her up to tear out each of those squirrels limbs individually and toy with them before bringing them home to us to show us how good of a slaughter machine she is

anyway it’s because they’re made for killing op

hate to break this to you but those aren’t instincts bred into them, they came that way

if you were talking about a dog you might have been right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mobby_6kl posted:

Correct, like all cat problems, it's solved by getting a dog.

This but unironically

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Grevling posted:

If you go to wikipedia and look at the page for the east african wild cat that domestic cats are descended from, they look almost exactly like house cats. Cats don't seem to have been bred in the same way as dogs, they've just hung around.

Dogs have genetic trait ("slippery dna") that allows for higher mutation rates so they can be bred into different varieties much faster. Cat's are much less domesticated as well saying they have hung around rather than being used by humans is pretty close to the truth.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol but seriously I posted:

you say indoor cats like outdoor cats is even an option hahahaha who could be so much a piece of poo poo

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'm pretty sure British people mostly have indoor/outdoor cats. It's actually a pretty big cultural difference with America and they would probably argue it's cruel to keep the cats inside away from where they want to be. It depends on the cat though and where you live. Some cats always want to try to get out (my cat is like this, he was a stray as a kitten so he has some of that outdoor instinct) and some house cats wouldn't step foot outside and are terrified of it. Rural areas mostly have wild animals like coyotes that will murder the gently caress out of a house cat and urban/suburban areas have cars so neither are perfect.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
missed chance to slip a purrfect in there

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ideally a cat should have a small enclosed outdoor area to sniff the ground and attack grasshoppers and other mild cat things

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think PETA has some good points about pet ownership

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Maybe if we crossbreed cats with dogs we will eventually get a cat that looks and behaves like a dog and is a dog. That would be a good cat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lol just say you guys kill cats.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

everyone always talks about how good dogs are but they've got every problem a cat has only 10 times as bad

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
really considering getting a pet dog and letting the pet dog have a pet cat to keep him company when no ones around

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gary oldmans diary posted:

really considering getting a pet dog and letting the pet dog have a pet cat to keep him company when no ones around

If you get a kitten and puppy at the same time they can grow up to get along.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Milo and POTUS posted:

missed chance to slip a purrfect in there

gently caress!

Caesar Saladin posted:

ideally a cat should have a small enclosed outdoor area to sniff the ground and attack grasshoppers and other mild cat things

My place has a walled in patio now so he likes to hang out there. For a while I lived in a house with a big screened in porch. He loved it but sometimes he'd get accidentally locked out and he might poop in the planter. He did what he had to do.

~Just cat things~

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Indoor cats escape sometimes. Without front claws, they can't even climb a tree to escape if attacked by another animal, much less defend itself against one.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've yet to see a cat successfully use its claws to defend itself against its main remaining natural predator, the car.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I've yet to see a cat successfully use its claws to defend itself against its main remaining natural predator, the car.

That's what they want you to think too. And then one day you get in your car to buy some milk and your breaks are mysteriously cut, or tires shredded by feline claws.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

sincx posted:

Cats are great pets. Useful (catches pests), convenient (can be trained to poop in a litter box, or for smarter cats, a toilet), requires minimal care, and are cute.

Cute, except for the 18 pointy scythe-like claws on their paws, which they sharpen constantly.

Declawing is a barbaric practice and states are rightfully banning the procedure.

But how come no cat breeder has come up with a genetically clawless cat? They have hairless cats and tail-less cats, but why not clawless ones? Of all the components of a cat to eliminate via selective breeding, you'd think claws are at the top of the list, but 10,000 years of domestication have not been productive.

What gives?

Breeding sterile crosses of watermelon and genetically removing appendages from cats are so totally different they might as well not even be considered the same thing. We could breed seedless cats the same way we breed seedless watermelons though. However, we aren't able to freely clone cats the way we can clone plants so whats the point.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
When I set traps around my neighborhood that brutally maim birds and small mammals in a way that gives them an excruciatingly slow and agonizing death people call me a psychopath and phone the police but when someone adopts an indoor outdoor cat they just call it snowball.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

as someone who occasionally dumps a housecat or three in the coyote pit that serves as my backyard, i feel that declawing them would be irresponsible and cruel

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

all pet ownership is slavery so what's the difference?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Last Chance posted:

all pet ownership is slavery so what's the difference?

what if I pay my dog

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I dunno how many slaves got away with sleeping 18 hours a day.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno how many slaves got away with sleeping 18 hours a day.

Or a great diet, the best medical care, and had the owners clean their poop.

:v:

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
*stepping out of my house that has a faint scent of cat-poo poo because I let animals use my abode as a giant toilet*

Oh this great haha what you smooth brain dog owners can't handle an animal that isn't made to love you without hard work?

*sleeves roll up to reveal fresh and scarred scratches up and down hands and arms*

They are really such sweet animals you know hahaha so playful!

*realize this entire time I've been walking in place and talking to no one in my basement thanks to delirium from toxoplasmosis*

Hahaha you guys are just doing it wrong they really are the best animals!

*vomits and passes out face first in the litter box*

Yeah you guys just don't get it.

*foams at mouth, chokes on foam, dies, never posts again*

I guess cats aren't that bad.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Twelve Batmans posted:

*foams at mouth, chokes on foam, dies, never posts again*

thank you

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo, if cats can make twelve batmans stop posting they are even better than i thought.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
People who get a cat and don't train it are idiots.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
I want to 3D print a custom animal with a soul

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

instead of being aloof and bitchy they should breed a cat that's always happy to see you and plays fetch and can be trained to do tricks and wags its tail when its happy and barks

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what if I pay my dog

oh man, the write-offs would be oustanding

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Budding cats with no claws or sex. Bring on the genetic revolution!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftIRIPcsqxo

here is a cat defeating an evil dog and saving his ward, a small child

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

instead of being aloof and bitchy they should breed a cat that's always happy to see you and plays fetch and can be trained to do tricks and wags its tail when its happy and barks

but there might be a non-zero chance it will be aggressive! goons are way too risk adverse for that better stick with a pet that hates people and actively destroys the local wildlife

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If your neighbour has a cat, you may have a new friend. If your neighbour has a dog, you get bark bark bark bark bark whine whine whine bark bark bark bark bark bark bark

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hey OP I asked my cat what he thought of genetically engineering his kind to be clawless.

He thinks you're craaaazy, maaaannn.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If your neighbour has a cat, you may have a new friend. If your neighbour has a dog, you get bark bark bark bark bark whine whine whine bark bark bark bark bark bark bark

All my neighbors have dogs and usually in the mornings when I'm out walking mine we'll run into each other and then our dogs get to run into each other and be happy and socialize and it looks like they're having a real great time. Basically I've never seeing a similar situation with cats. They are all sweet and friendly animals. I'm sorry you live in a ghetto and are too much of a coward to confront your neighbors.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dubplate Fire posted:

People who get a cat and don't train it are idiots.

10000%, people who think cats are no effort pets don't get it. training your cat ends up with a. a cat who behaves and b. a happy cat who loving loves you b/c you've bonded with them on a level where they're fine communicating with you

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

my cat does play fetch. you don't want it to wag its tail tho b/c that usually means it's angry. cat equivalent of happy tail is when they always walk around with it straight up w/ a kawaii curve at the top!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Citcon posted:

I have never seen a single logical reason declawing a cat is wrong if its done by a trained vet with proper painkillers, etc. Its a very safe procedure on par with neutering. Have never had an issue with it.

Obviously declawing is for inside cats only.
declawed cats know they've lost half of their attack/defense power and are typically more neurotic because of it.