Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Bring back falalan, Johan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I play my paradox games with a podcast running in the background

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

correct

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Arrhythmia posted:

I can only take so many twiddly trumpets before I start to lose my mind.

Someone should invest in the Sabaton DLC.

I'll admit to skipping certain base EUIV tracks that get increasingly grating the more times I hear them. Also every time I declare war I manually play Lifetime at War. Because some of the tracks in the game... don't exactly feel very warlike and the context shuffle isn't doing the job.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 4, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Turn Falalan into a John Philip Souza march

I need this real bad.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Jabor posted:

permanent christmas theme or gtfo

Still waiting on the Stellaris version of the christmas music.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Stellaris needs the Raumpatrouille Orion soundtrack.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’m calling the police

What, you listen to the same tracks for 800 hours?

AG3 posted:

Someone should invest in the Sabaton DLC.

I'll admit to skipping certain base EUIV tracks that get increasingly grating the more times I hear them. Also every time I declare war I manually play Lifetime at War. Because some of the tracks in the game... don't exactly feel very warlike and the context shuffle isn't doing the job.

"Jesus loving Christ I'm sick of this music, clearly the solution is to buy 5 new songs" :confused:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

GrossMurpel posted:

What, you listen to the same tracks for 800 hours?

"Jesus loving Christ I'm sick of this music, clearly the solution is to buy 5 new songs" :confused:

It was a joke about the instruments used in the stock songs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I kind of need podcasts to keep track of time, but if I get too into the game, I end up not parsing most of them.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

weird fletxa but o carcares

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
I 100% of the time play Paradox games while either listening to podcasts/audiobooks or watching videos on a second monitor.

This has broken my brain and now doing either activity by itself is not sufficiently stimulating.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
With all this chat about Vicky2 I have a question.

I *think* I'm starting to get a handle on the objectives of the game and generally how to play. What does the HPM mod add exactly? All I see online are mostly generic "It make the game better/more historical" or "it makes the game worse." If it's a mod only to make it more difficult to succeed in what you're trying to do I think I'm okay without it, but if it actually adds a fair amount of depth while not completely disrupting the ability to make progress then I would be more interested.

Of course, I could also just download it and try it, but what's the fun in that?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So, generally there were two big players in the "don't play without it" sphere, New Nations Mod and Pop Demand Mod. New nations mod added more tags and more events, like 70% of it was literally just making historical events at least actually POSSIBLE, POP Demand Mod completely rewrote the game economy and included some weird decisions in that. HPM kinda runs a middle ground between the two.

POPs now have a demand for industrial goods as a hackjob representation of the civil construction sector because the base game has an ahistoric focus on commercial industry as the path to success but the same goods still exist instead of changing things around completely. The only new type of POP is serfs instead of a bunch of splitting things up that PDM does. I'd say that HPM basically goes about as far as you can go in changing things without COMPLETELY changing how the game plays.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

reignonyourparade posted:

So, generally there were two big players in the "don't play without it" sphere, New Nations Mod and Pop Demand Mod. New nations mod added more tags and more events, like 70% of it was literally just making historical events at least actually POSSIBLE, POP Demand Mod completely rewrote the game economy and included some weird decisions in that. HPM kinda runs a middle ground between the two.

POPs now have a demand for industrial goods as a hackjob representation of the civil construction sector because the base game has an ahistoric focus on commercial industry as the path to success but the same goods still exist instead of changing things around completely. The only new type of POP is serfs instead of a bunch of splitting things up that PDM does. I'd say that HPM basically goes about as far as you can go in changing things without COMPLETELY changing how the game plays.

Thanks for the help!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Fellblade posted:

First Imperator stream at 3pm CET today (~5h20m from this post). Not expecting much new, probably just Johan playing the Rome tutorial same as the content from the youtubers.

Also yesterday’s dev diary on Mercs and Arabia here.

Live now for anybody not at work.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 8, 2019

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I usually try and find a period / region appropriate playlist on Spotify or Youtube. "6 Hours of Dark and Epic Viking Music" etc. There's always something to provide a mood.

I would go crazy listening to the in-game music looping for so long, however good it is. I even get annoyed when youtubers don't mute the music.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1082653241832280064

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This week in "Imperator features I want to see in CK3," mercenaries are physically present on the map even when not working for anyone, don't teleport to your territory when you hire them, and are available based on diplomatic range: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-7th-of-january-2019.1144406/

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Here's a link to the Imperator Twitch stream from this morning: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/360759573 (starts at 22:40)

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Technowolf posted:

Here's a link to the Imperator Twitch stream from this morning: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/360759573 (starts at 22:40)

Thanks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just watching the youtube clip show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7_MbWauBY

Gotta say I do not like the look of that vassal swarm. Combat looks just like the EU4 combat I'm so sick of.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

PittTheElder posted:

Gotta say I do not like the look of that vassal swarm. Combat looks just like the EU4 combat I'm so sick of.

I did start laughing when Etruria just opened up a clown car of assholes on Johan. And he didn't seem to bother with any of the fancy new combat stuff they've been showcasing. Astroclassicist tells me Rome and pals were fielding about 50k infantry at that point, so the numbers seem to be in roughly the right ballpark.

Why's EU4 combat got you down?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mostly how battles that take forever to resolve, allowing every army in the neighbourhood to pile in, and usually whoever gets an army in last wins. Then everyone and their dog hiring stacks of mercs.

To a lesser extent, how the AI runs tiny little armies around occupying random provinces. Which is at least less of an issue here, since minors won't be recruiting little 2k merc stacks.

e: I'm pretty stoked for whatever change in AI army behavior they're working on so that they don't all march their armies across the world to siege down some fort in Tibet. After that I hope they revisit how PU juniors behave, so it's not just a free ally that does whatever you want, so long as they're loyal. Folks should still have independent foreign policy. Give me Muscovite-Lithuanian Wars or bust.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 9, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

PittTheElder posted:

Mostly how battles that take forever to resolve, allowing every army in the neighbourhood to pile in, and usually whoever gets an army in last wins. Then everyone and their dog hiring stacks of mercs.

Ah yeah, that can be a little stupid. The merc thing especially makes it very difficult to manpower-kill a country.

That said, I think to some extent they're stuck with battles taking a long time to resolve. You can tweak your stack composition, you can stack up combat modifiers, you can build up your manpower pool/tax base and you can construct alliances, but once the rubber hits the road basically the only input a player has into the outcome of a war is in the strategic manoeuvring. Where your armies are and when. And, if you want the player to have any scope to respond to getting bushwhacked, when your smallest unit of time is the day and the closest armies can be to each other might be hundreds of miles, when your systems of time and space are that coarsely grained... you need to stretch out battles to accommodate that.

Maybe they should take weeks rather than months, though? And large battles maybe shouldn't take longer than small ones?

e: The AI can't cooperate or coordinate properly, either, so big coalitions of minors need that flexibility so they don't just get annihilated in detail.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 10, 2019

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Is there such thing as a Paradox-esque mobile game?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

It looks like mercs are going to be less plentiful, and prohibitively expensive in this game. They physically exist on the map before they're hired, so you have to move them from wherever their home is to your battle rather than just hiring them and having them pop out of occupied territory.

Also, you as the player can reinforce battles too, which is like half of the strategy of the game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Does anyone have a link to that strategy game blog that looked at how various cultures/civilizations are portrayed in various games (including EU4 iirc) and how that is represented in the gameplay mechanics? Sorry if this is a bit vague.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 10, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mantis42 posted:

Does anyone have a link to that strategy game blog that looked at how various cultures/civilizations are portrayed in various games (including EU4 iirc) and how that is represented in the gameplay mechanics? Sorry if this is a it vague.

No, but I want to read it too now!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Found it.

The irony, of course, being that it's from Troy Goodfellow's (discontinued?) blog and I've been listening to him speak on Three Moves Ahead for the past hour. Anyways, while he mentions EU3 in a few posts this actually predates 4 so I guess my memory is bad.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Also Troy Goodfellow work for us these days so he sort of stopped writing. Which is too bad I really liked him when as a journalist. Though he's also a really cool coworker.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looks like someone at Paradox hasn't been watching their SSL certificates

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
after watching the imperator stream,

wow, Johan is probably the worst promoter i seen..
he looks totally uninterested to show the game, and is a terrible player to boot lol

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Descar posted:

he looks totally uninterested to show the game, and is a terrible player to boot lol

Yes this has been raised on multiple occasions

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Descar posted:

Ah, I see you never read Johans dev diaries.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
johan reads this thread, lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

johan reads this thread, lol

being able to bully paradox devs is why this thread is great op

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I mean, we all clearly love his work, so I hope he doesn't feel too bad.

Also, it's hard to do anything well – let alone play a complicated strategy game – when you're on camera. Just try pointing a camera at yourself and doing anything mentally taxing while explaining what you're doing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I hope they start doing dev clashes soon. Their EU4 series are my favorite multiplayer series and Imperator looks like it could be fun to watch a dev clash of too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
You don't like my Space Communist Hedgehogs? :ohdear: