Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

More like Good Charlotte and Avril Lavigne

Them too!

It's be like that fuckin song from Spider-man with Nickleback and the Saliva dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just started the new season of Angie Tribeca and I’m super bummed that Deon Cole isn’t in it anymore. That guy has the coolest voice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Just like Hit Em High was a collection of hip hop greats, the theme for Skate Jam would most likely have been a collaboration by some early 00's super stars.

You gotta put the "ska" back in "Skate"!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

You gotta put the "ska" back in "Skate"!

:barf:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The theme song would have been Superman by Goldfinger

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reel Big Fish and Mighty Mighty Bosstones are due for a comeback any day now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just started the new season of Angie Tribeca and I’m super bummed that Deon Cole isn’t in it anymore. That guy has the coolest voice.

He shows up in at least one episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm legitimately surprised we haven't seen a ska revival, it's been at least 20 years right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dave Matthews Band came and showed violinists that they too could be in a rock or rock-like band; ska did the same for trombonists.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Blues Traveler did it for the harmonica. Nobody likes the harmonica.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

They should never have gone away, dammit!

(Less Than Jake were better though)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Between all the boy bands, ska and the swing revival, the turn of the century was loving dire

Imagine being in college, there is no Tinder and every date is swing dancing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Between all the boy bands, ska and the swing revival, the turn of the century was loving dire

But surely Nickelback was right around the corner promising to "bring back rock and roll"! :v:

Fun fact: the number-one single on Billboard which welcomed in the new millennium was "Smooth" by Santana ft. the guy from Matchbox 20.

:rock:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God I hate that loving song

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys might be the perfect pop modern song

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, that song's 20 years old this year.

Is there a cut-off point for a song to stop being "modern"? I feel like it's tricky with music because the "in" sound of pop music keeps changing. That song sounds like it's from 1999 and I don't think there's anything in the charts today that sounds like it.

I'm probably just splitting hairs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zoux posted:

Forget swing, contra/square dancing was great in college. The look on a woman's face when she finds out her partner actually knows how to support someone when spinning so they don't have to worry about falling over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shudder is doing a documentary on the history of black people in horror films and the cast (?) is LOADED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmyueIwsMlo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys might be the perfect pop modern song

hell, agreed. I'm partial to 10, 000 Promises tho

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EL BROMANCE posted:

They should never have gone away, dammit!

(Less Than Jake were better though)

Dicky had to get in on that Jimmy Kimmel Show money.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there a cut-off point for a song to stop being "modern"? I feel like it's tricky with music because the "in" sound of pop music keeps changing. That song sounds like it's from 1999 and I don't think there's anything in the charts today that sounds like it.

I think it’s 10 years for modern.* But, honestly, I’m having a hard time conceptualizing this. It’s perfectly acceptable for a “modern rock” station to play mid 90s music these days. But the idea of a “modern” station playing something from the late 60s or early 70s, during the 90s, is patently absurd.

*Anything Trent Reznor does should have 20 years added to its release date. Seriously: Head Like A Hole is 30 years old!?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Early 00s was loving fantastic, it's that brief time when used record stores were huge and small indie rock venues in small towns started turning serious profit

Every time period has obnoxious stuff, it's so weird to me to hear people talk as if any period in recent memory hasn't been filled with some variety of awful tacky poo poo. One just learns to ignore all that forever. It's not worth the mental real estate.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dave Matthews Band came and showed violinists that they too could be in a rock or rock-like band; ska did the same for trombonists.

Fun fact, Dave Matthews Band no longer has a violinist. (He was a creepy sex pest and got fired a year ago)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dave Matthews also wasn't even on the poop bus but nobody cares about that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IRQ posted:

I'm legitimately surprised we haven't seen a ska revival, it's been at least 20 years right?

They keep trying but no one's buying it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ska is poo poo fight me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmGmGHRCQSY

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wheat Loaf posted:

On the flip side I want to know what we're considering "oldies" these days because I was recently accused of listening to oldies while I had an 80's station playing and I was moderately offended.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sirotan posted:

On the flip side I want to know what we're considering "oldies" these days because I was recently accused of listening to oldies while I had an 80's station playing and I was moderately offended.

I was driving a moving van up from Texas to Kentucky, and there was about 500 miles of nothing but Christian Talk/Rock radio. I finally get within range of Nashville and find a good station: playing my jams! I’m rocking out, having a good time, when the station identifier comes up: “you’re listening to Goooooooooooolden Oldies! The best of the 70s, 80s, AND 90s!”

Oldies is still pre-1960 to me... :smith:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It still weirds me out to hear Green Day on classic rock stations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oldies is still pre-1960 to me... :smith:

Same, friend. Same. :smith::hf::smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I have two local "Oldies" stations. One is one of the big commercial ones that over the last decade has drifted from "50s 60s and 70s with great Motown and Folk Rock and such" into "Beatles, Queen and R.E.M." The other is KISN, a tiny station that was actually playing back in the 60s and 70s, has some of the old hosts, plays great old stuff including some really obscure Forgotten 45s, and if I drive more than 20 minutes in any direction I lose the signal. It's so weak I can't pick it up at all on my home radio, just the car with more modern boosters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sirotan posted:

pre-1950s is olde timey music
1950s-1960s is oldies
1970s is classic rock
1980s is good pop
1990s is bad music

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I kind of thought that the hatred for disco would be a recurring thing and expected everybody to always hate what was 20 years ago, but apparently that was a one-off. :shrug:

Sirotan posted:

:glomp:

feedmyleg posted:

pre-1950s is olde timey music
1950s-1960s is oldies
1970s is classic rock
1980s is good pop
1990s is bad music

Wow rude. What have you got against the decade that continually chose Smells Like Teen Spirit as it's greatest song for >15 years? :crossarms:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Ska is poo poo fight me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaS53SNM3ng

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

All music is good (when zooming out to the level of genres), some is just gooder than others. Different people are aligned to different things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our local oldies station has started putting 90s rock into their rotation.

And the once hip, young and rebellious station is catering almost exclusively to guys in their 50s.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The classic rock station here was playing Nirvana over a decade ago

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

I've never actually seen Space Jam. On a scale of 1-10 how many drugs do I need to do to enjoy it?
No drugs, it's best watched dead-rear end sober and extremely hyped up on birthday cake and fruit punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bentacos posted:

The classic rock station here was playing Nirvana over a decade ago
I started hearing it on classic rock stations in 2004, I think the only requirement is that a song be 10 years old.