Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Spacebump posted:

I'm so dumb for still buying 3d movies. I like this dead technology but what am I going to do with all of these blu rays (beyond selling them) when I need a new tv one day?

I bought this TV: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-led-z9d-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/5480900.p?skuId=5480900

To delay that question as long as possible. It was a dream purchase because it was prohibitively expensive but then it dropped down to $2,000 and I said sure why not. Still haven’t watched a 3D movie on it yet. I should do that this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not sure why, other than perhaps a bit easier time getting the perfect viewing angle, but I've liked 3D way more on my TV than at the theater, even if there's only a handful of movies worth using it with.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Surprisingly, Dredd really nails 3D despite being a conversion in post.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

Surprisingly, Dredd really nails 3D despite being a conversion in post.

That's the only one I own, one of these days I will watch it on my PSVR

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There are three movies that I've heard make really good use of 3D. Hugo, The Adventures of Tintin, and The Cave of Forgotten Dreams. Haven't seen any of them in 3D.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dredd's 3D is very good, though to me it's Gravity where 3D and a big screen are essential, or at least turn it into a whole other experience.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not sure why, other than perhaps a bit easier time getting the perfect viewing angle, but I've liked 3D way more on my TV than at the theater, even if there's only a handful of movies worth using it with.

It's brighter for a start, 3D through projection loses a ton of light.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

Dredd's 3D is very good, though to me it's Gravity where 3D and a big screen are essential, or at least turn it into a whole other experience.

I wish the Alamo would show it in 3D. I know they have the projectors for it, but I wonder what it would take to get a copy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I only buy 3-D Blu-rays of "classic" content since I honestly don't care about converted modern films. It also helps that pretty much all the 50s 3-D stuff has had some really amazing restoration work. Even if I could only watch in 2-D later on, the Blu-rays for films like House of Wax, It Came From Outer Space, and Creature from the Black Lagoon look pretty amazing. And some of the lesser known films like GOG and The Mad Magician are really neat, underrated films. (For that matter, the latter Blu-ray also has the two 3-D Three Stooges shorts in 3-D as extras)

fenix down posted:

Doesn't that lamp behind the couch create a huge glare on the screen?

I turned on all the lamps for the photos. If I'm watching something, usually the boxy one next to the wall is on since it's out of the viewing angle and softer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Boywhiz88 posted:

I bought this TV: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-led-z9d-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/5480900.p?skuId=5480900

To delay that question as long as possible. It was a dream purchase because it was prohibitively expensive but then it dropped down to $2,000 and I said sure why not. Still haven’t watched a 3D movie on it yet. I should do that this week.

4k upscaled 3d is something I want to see. Thanks for the link/info.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

If I'm watching something, usually the boxy one next to the wall is on since it's out of the viewing angle and softer.

I would recommend getting a backlight strip. The impulse purchase I made after watching Hold The Dark enhanced by reflections of myself and a couch lamp turned out to be the best impulse purchase I ever made.

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 9, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spacebump posted:

4k upscaled 3d is something I want to see. Thanks for the link/info.

4K doesn’t upscale the 3D - it does full resolution per eye for the first time. Before on 1080p TVs with passive glasses you’d only get half res.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

I only buy 3-D Blu-rays of "classic" content since I honestly don't care about converted modern films. It also helps that pretty much all the 50s 3-D stuff has had some really amazing restoration work. Even if I could only watch in 2-D later on, the Blu-rays for films like House of Wax, It Came From Outer Space, and Creature from the Black Lagoon look pretty amazing. And some of the lesser known films like GOG and The Mad Magician are really neat, underrated films. (For that matter, the latter Blu-ray also has the two 3-D Three Stooges shorts in 3-D as extras)

I turned on all the lamps for the photos. If I'm watching something, usually the boxy one next to the wall is on since it's out of the viewing angle and softer.

I'd love to see a bunch of old poo poo like this (and especially House of Wax) in 3D but not enough to buy a whole tv for it. Do they even make tvs with that anymore?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’ve heard that you can use a PlayStation VR to watch 3D movies. Plus you can play Resident Evil in VR.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'd love to see a bunch of old poo poo like this (and especially House of Wax) in 3D but not enough to buy a whole tv for it. Do they even make tvs with that anymore?

Nope, last of the hold-outs dropped it in 2017, I believe.

I wouldn't have bought a TV just for 3D, but I kinda like having it given my TV came with it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
There aren't many thrift shops or second hand stores besides a pawn shop chain around where I live, but a charity bookstore that gets all ex-library stock inexplicably got some blurays in, so I got the Lethal Weapon 4 pack, The Howling, A Serious Man and Mallrats for two dollars each in pristine condition. Pretty happy about that.

They also had a VHS special edition of The Abyss with a booklet and an hour long doco on the tape, and I might go back tomorrow and grab it just so I can own it. They also has Atonement and Shakespeare In Love on blu that I passed up but might get for the fiancee because gently caress it, two dollars.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Had a gift card from work, so I ordered Funeral Parade of Roses and The Last Movie. Both look like real trips.

I, Butthole posted:

There aren't many thrift shops or second hand stores besides a pawn shop chain around where I live, but a charity bookstore that gets all ex-library stock inexplicably got some blurays in, so I got the Lethal Weapon 4 pack, The Howling, A Serious Man and Mallrats for two dollars each in pristine condition. Pretty happy about that.

They also had a VHS special edition of The Abyss with a booklet and an hour long doco on the tape, and I might go back tomorrow and grab it just so I can own it. They also has Atonement and Shakespeare In Love on blu that I passed up but might get for the fiancee because gently caress it, two dollars.

FWIW, The Abyss is probably getting a 4K release this year for the 30th anniversary and there's nothing on that VHS release that isn't on the DVD.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I've tried to watch 3D movies on my Oculus Rift and it gives me a headache within a few minutes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Had a gift card from work, so I ordered Funeral Parade of Roses and The Last Movie. Both look like real trips.

FWIW, The Abyss is probably getting a 4K release this year for the 30th anniversary and there's nothing on that VHS release that isn't on the DVD.

I saw Funeral Parade of Roses when they were showing that restoration in theaters and it is pretty wild. You'll probably like it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Looks like Shout and Studio Canal are working together now. Superstition, Manitou, The Brain all announces for April.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nope, last of the hold-outs dropped it in 2017, I believe.

I wouldn't have bought a TV just for 3D, but I kinda like having it given my TV came with it.

It’s still being included/a bit of a draw in the 4K projector market but that’s a smaller subset of the home theater market.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If there's an email from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in your inbox today, there's a free movie in there. They're shutting something down and giving a Movies Anywhere movie away. There's 8 choices, I picked Big Fish.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Does watching a movie in vr feel like you're looking up at a giant screen, or just holding your phone up to your face?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Watch Mother! in VR.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Does watching a movie in vr feel like you're looking up at a giant screen, or just holding your phone up to your face?

I would say it looks like a large screen, not giant. But the low resolution makes it utterly pointless.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

I'll believe this when I hold it in my hands along with True Lies

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

I'll believe this when I hold it in my hands along with True Lies

It's being released in a box set with Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair and the original version of Star Wars.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

It's being released in a box set with Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair and the original version of Star Wars.

It only took a decade and change for Bad Boys 2 to hit the format so I hold out hope!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Steen71 posted:

I would say it looks like a large screen, not giant. But the low resolution makes it utterly pointless.

What I like most about it is that when developers take full advantage of it, the 3D effect is much, much more convincing than any theater. Things look like they actually have three dimensions, rather than just one part of a flat image sticking out a little further than the rest of it. A VR only Pixar film would be the coolest looking poo poo you've ever seen. But yeah, the low resolution is an issue.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

If there's an email from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in your inbox today, there's a free movie in there. They're shutting something down and giving a Movies Anywhere movie away. There's 8 choices, I picked Big Fish.

I misread/was distracted and thought I was getting all of the movies so I hit OK. So I got... 13 going on 30.

Could be worse, I guess.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo!

https://twitter.com/mastersofcinema/status/1083385997914791936

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They have been killin’ it with these classic Jackie Chan releases. I wonder if they’re region free.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

They have been killin’ it with these classic Jackie Chan releases. I wonder if they’re region free.

Pretty sure the Police Story and Project A sets are region locked. I believe Police Story 1&2 are confirmed for a Criterion release but there's no date yet and I'm not holding my breath for them to get the others. I'll probably be pre-ordering this one, Wheels on Meals is the best. It's really nice being able to play any region.

edit:
Checked the blu-ray.com forums and apparently they have a bunch of great stuff planned for this year, several must buys for me:

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 10, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FancyMike posted:

Pretty sure the Police Story and Project A sets are region locked. I believe Police Story 1&2 are confirmed for a Criterion release but there's no date yet and I'm not holding my breath for them to get the others. I'll probably be pre-ordering this one, Wheels on Meals is the best. It's really nice being able to play any region.

edit:
Checked the blu-ray.com forums and apparently they have a bunch of great stuff planned for this year, several must buys for me:

Can confirm the Police Story and Project A sets are region B only, but they look absolutely fantastic and they’re easily among my favorite 2018 purchases.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This + the Jackie Chan releases are fantastic news. Now all I need is Drunken Master 2 to die a happy man.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can confirm the Police Story and Project A sets are region B only, but they look absolutely fantastic and they’re easily among my favorite 2018 purchases.

Aw shoot. I just hope someone picks up those rights soon. Most classic Jackie Chan stuff in region A is OOP or a mediocre release.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

Aw shoot. I just hope someone picks up those rights soon. Most classic Jackie Chan stuff in region A is OOP or a mediocre release.

At least Police Story is more or less confirmed for Criterion, so there’s that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am SO happy about Wheels on Meals!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Shout Factory just announced a Bela Lugosi/Boris Karloff box set:

https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/status/1083418614462439424

No special features announced yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse