Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How different is context switching in console os's Vs Windows?

Not especially, user facing stuff like games are run at a lower privilege level, for security and anti-piracy reasons. The XBox/PS4 are basically fancy mATX PCs running some proprietary blend of either FreeBSD or Windows under the hood anyways, so it's however the base kernel they decided to use works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Crotch Fruit posted:

Consider that a GTX 1080 has 2560 CUDA cores and 160 texture units
The inherent context for his and my earlier comments were talking about multithreading for the CPU which is a very very verrrrry different thing than how multithreading is ran on the GPU.

Also the cores on the GPU are more like "cores" in a marketing sense rather than a realistic and practical one in comparison to the CPU when talking about flexibility and capability.

Laziness also isn't the issue when talking about programming either. Most of those guys are getting worked pretty hard, to the point of premature burn out sometimes. Its almost always either comes down to development budget or market support when talking about taking advantage of hardware features like more CPU cores or even other stuff like more system RAM and SSD's.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Parallelism is hard, but it doesn't have to be. In the Rust programming language there's a massive amount of work being done to make parallelism easier to implement, this work spans from language design to third party libraries like Rayon and entire game engines like Amethyst that are designed to let anyone have access to parallelism.

I would expect these efforts to be mirrored for the latest C++ spec, but I don't have any involvement or understanding of the C++ ecosystem. The tools now exist, it's just a matter of someone adopting them.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Measly Twerp posted:

Parallelism is hard, but it doesn't have to be. In the Rust programming language there's a massive amount of work being done to make parallelism easier to implement, this work spans from language design to third party libraries like Rayon and entire game engines like Amethyst that are designed to let anyone have access to parallelism.

I would expect these efforts to be mirrored for the latest C++ spec, but I don't have any involvement or understanding of the C++ ecosystem. The tools now exist, it's just a matter of someone adopting them.

Usually the writing part is easier than figuring what can be parallelized in the first place.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Laziness also isn't the issue when talking about programming either. Most of those guys are getting worked pretty hard, to the point of premature burn out sometimes. Its almost always either comes down to development budget or market support when talking about taking advantage of hardware features like more CPU cores or even other stuff like more system RAM and SSD's.

Yeah quad cores were the norm for a full decade and taking advantage of a lot of CPU cores is difficult, why put in the effort for something that very few people have? Only in the past couple years has this made sense and we have seen some change.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
A lot of easy(ish) parallelism can be had using a broker/worker system which a lot of game engines are moving towards. Break the work into small chunks with the broker thread(s), then farm the little tasks out to worker threads who do the work and hand it back over. Issue is in a lot of cases the chunking is non-trivial to do, so outside of the specific game framework it's designed for, it quickly stops working at all. Even simple things like path finding can become hard to multi-thread when you start having to deal with inter-dependent paths (where entities can collide or obstruct each other) or pathing that's costly enough to span several game ticks per thread worker.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

e: Never mind this was confusing and dumb speculation about a derail and right before AMD has a keynote.

Hoping for some specs today, will be happy with just a release target.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

3peat
May 6, 2010

I'm ready for disappointment! At least Raja won't be there to talk about some bollywood bullshit and shrouds for 2 hours

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bibZyMjY2K4

Goes live in 1h40m Live :getin:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 9, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

We're live :toot:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
this isn't lisa su :frogout:

eames
May 9, 2009

SHE IS WEARING A BLACK LEATHER JACKET LOL

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

eames posted:

SHE IS WEARING A BLACK LEATHER JACKET LOL

COMING FOR THE CROWN

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Come on 64C/128T 3990WX!

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I JUST LEARNED WHAT A ZETTABYTE IS

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This is a lot of talking, toss the water bottle now!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH-v0BfEf9I

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

COMING FOR THE CROWN

You know I had to Su it to 'em

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
zzzz

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well now I know how to pronounce Huawei. Learned nothing new about AMD products though.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Show us Zen 2 already goddamn it! :f5:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
CES -> Chromebooks using A4/A6 :confused:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Well now I know how to pronounce Huawei. Learned nothing new about AMD products though.

I missed it, but I have always pronounced it "wah-way." Is this incorrect?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
hoo aaah way, the first two sounds are the same timeframe as saying the second

eames
May 9, 2009

I guess "Creator" is the new "Prosumer"... :barf:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
You've disappointed me Lisa, you've brought me no zen 2 (yet), but a man of wrong ram.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

She's announcing the RX 590 again

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm guessing they're saving Zen 2 until the very end of the presentation.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

I missed it, but I have always pronounced it "wah-way." Is this incorrect?

Nope, that's about right. I was mostly being facetious, I've heard it pronounced incorrectly a bunch of times, and nothing about AMD's future was actually being said.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Radeon 7 announced blah GPU

e: 60 CU 1.8 ghz vega2, same power as vega. 16gb hbm2

eames
May 9, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Radeon 7 announced blah GPU

16 GB HBM :popeye:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Vega on 7nm :catdrugs:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Vega 64 at +35% performance is still bad, right
I can't remember seeing Vega 64 benchmarks

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
ITS THE CREAM OF THE CROP

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
It's a 1080ti with more ram

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
DX12, Vulkan and GPU Compute increases... looks like more FineWine :v:

Still looking forward to the Zen 2 reveal.

Edit: On par with a 2080... not bad but the price will be the big determining factor.

Icept fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 9, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
amd stock dropped 5% following the R7 reveal

eames
May 9, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

It's a 1080ti with more ram

which would be fine at $400 but it feels like the bulk cost of the RAM is more than that

vvv AMD recommends RTX on :v:

eames fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
They were comparing it to a 2080, so in real benchmarks it will only be 25% slower. :v: