Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Midjack posted:

I got so frustrated with OG1 that I've been put off from the series. Like I should love SRW but that was such an unfun slog I can't bring myself to start another one.

If you have a PS4 try either V or X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You don't need fury status cheese for any boss in OG1. None of the bosses are particularly difficult... Like, why would you bother draining them? I guess maybe for the first encounters with the Valsion + Shu where you still don't have most of your carry units?

The water stages get a lot of bad press but you're given water jets, a bunch of flying units including the MAPWtastic cybuster and the Hagane can carry nearly every stage up to 20 because its torpedoes are awesome.

OG1 owns. :colbert:

The Inspectors final showdown in OG2 is unnecessarily long but the bosses themselves don't have regen, don't cast spirits and half of them have terrible hit rates or paper mache for armor plus you've got SP regen. Axel doesn't have hundreds of HP in this game either so you can oneturn him fairly easy once you've MAPW'd away his support defense. They're not that bad.

I can't believe I'm defending OG2.

edit: to be clear I'm not saying any of those things are good just that they're not remotely on the level of MD - the game that trolls you from stage 10 onwards by giving you 20+ units and 10 deployment slots.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 9, 2019

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

V is very good.

X isn't as good and I've yet to finish it but it's not bad.

Agreed, the dynamic between Chitose and Nine is much better than Iori/Amari and Spero. It also felt like it made better use of the series involved even with the world hopping.

But drat it'll be nice to not have any world hopping involved in T. Now if only we could get classic Nadeisco back.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

As if I needed more reasons to love Kai

T's gonna be my first since actual purchase of a SRW game since OG2, so I'm super stoked/crossing my fingers.

Well, Kai has to compete with Kai Shiden for "the guy you think of when you hear the name Kai" in a Super Robot Wars context.

You really need to bring your A game if that's the goal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

If you have a PS4 try either V or X

I have them both but they're still in the wrapper. Moon Dwellers too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Midjack posted:

I have them both but they're still in the wrapper. Moon Dwellers too.

Well then get to playing

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

But drat it'll be nice to not have any world hopping involved in T. Now if only we could get classic Nadeisco back.
Shou and Shion both being playable means we're almost certainly going to have some kind of convoluted world hopping tbh, to say nothing of Rayearth's inclusion.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 9, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I've been meaning to ask about how the resupply/repair command works. I know the Excellence has it by default, but you can also equip a repair "weapon" and resupply kit on any PT with available slot correct? and it should work just as it does on the Excellence?

Then what exactly does the "resupply" pilot ability do. Like I could give, for example Lefina resupply, does this allow her to keep the Hiryu constantly stocked with ammo and EN?? Or does it turn her into another ambulance.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Repair skill allows you to use the Repair command, if the mech has it, to restore 50% more HP than otherwise. The Resupply skill allows you to use the Resupply command, if the mech has it, after moving on the same turn.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'm in the middle of a gimmick run where I play through the GBA OGs using only characters and mechs invented for that series (and characters required for secrets).

Currently, I'm about to fight Bian and Shu with
* Giado in the Wildschwein
* Latooni in Hucklebein 009 (The 009 variant is unique to OG, as far as I'm aware)
* Garnet in Wildraubtier
* Ingram in Lion F (previously an F-28, a repair/resupply bot with teeth)

Ryusei in Gespenst TT was retired after being aced. Rai in Schutzwald got to help out against the Last Battalion.

Kyosuke's route looks way more difficult in these conditions...

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ka0 posted:

I've been meaning to ask about how the resupply/repair command works. I know the Excellence has it by default, but you can also equip a repair "weapon" and resupply kit on any PT with available slot correct? and it should work just as it does on the Excellence?

Then what exactly does the "resupply" pilot ability do. Like I could give, for example Lefina resupply, does this allow her to keep the Hiryu constantly stocked with ammo and EN?? Or does it turn her into another ambulance.

Equipping someone with the Repair or Resupply weapon gives them Repair and/or Resupply so they can heal and refuel like the Excellence, yes. Like Caphi said, the skills just make those commands better if you have them, but does not give you the command itself. Equipping the Repair or Resupply weapon on a boat and then giving them the resupply skill so they can refuel people after moving is a classic strat in OG games.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ka0 posted:

e: is there an item I can equip which guards gainst whatever status thing prevents the use of SP skills, because that is immensely effective against my robots.

Do you still have the ability to buy a lot of ability slot fillers? There's a green one, Block, which nullifies all status effects for the twin. Makes the ghost fights much less annoying.

As for the last boss, I put Touya and Al-Van in front of him and had them hunker down every turn and just take 0 damage from all attacks, while I shifted Shu/Calvina in and out of range by popping Ghosts with continuous action and hit&away. Took like twenty turns, but I really didn't even use anyone else, IIRC, and wasn't in much danger ever.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The battleships make excellent repair/resupply units. Just give them the equippable parts (you get 2 of each in all games IIRC) and the skills, and suddenly you have two super bulky support units with command auras and lots of spirits. The ships only have barely enough space for both parts too so this is pretty much their intended use.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The thing about the pilot skills for repair/supply is that they aren't actually just called the same thing, but are called 修理技能 or 修理スキル ("Repair Skill") in the sense of Repair Expertise or Repair Know-How.

I'm not saying this is a translation fuckup or anything, it's probably something to do with space limitations.

e: "Mechanic" and "Supplier"

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Thanks for the advice. I'm ok with hauling the Excellence around like a toolbox but having the Hiryu help out is better. The thing can barely hit anything anyway.

I was looking at Kotobukiya's page, and other than a couple of SD style figures, there really isn't anything. You would think that having Bandai around, of all companies, we would be swarmed with 1/144 scale kits of Hucks, Gespensts, Grungusts and the ocassional wacky kit like the SRX or G Kaiser.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm ok with hauling the Excellence around like a toolbox but having the Hiryu help out is better. The thing can barely hit anything anyway.

I was looking at Kotobukiya's page, and other than a couple of SD style figures, there really isn't anything. You would think that having Bandai around, of all companies, we would be swarmed with 1/144 scale kits of Hucks, Gespensts, Grungusts and the ocassional wacky kit like the SRX or G Kaiser.

There are tons of SRW kits. Where are you looking?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, there are loads of SRW OG kits. The Huckebein Boxer, Grungust Type 0 and 3, SRX both separate and combined, Alteisen+Weissritter and upgraded forms, 3 different types of Gespenst. The Aussenseiter kit is one of the best kits I've ever built. There's even a 1/144 Daizengar which is loving huge. There's even the Brasta from Z2!

The weird thing is Kotobukiya having the license to Bandai's original mech property in the first place.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ka0 posted:

Im pertty sure all of these exist.

Theres definitely at least:
Huck MKIII
Gespenst MkII & Kai
whatever that Gesterbein or whatever is called
Grungust type 0
Type 3
DGG
Sladglmir
Ialdabaoth
CompiKaiser
Soulgain
Alt, Weiss, 'Burg, Falken

Theres a bunch more but I dont feel like making this bigger i guess.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
You can even find them on Amazon. I have the Weiss kit on my wishlist there.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think the Kotobukiya site only has recent stuff like the Raftclans and whatnot.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GimmickMan posted:

The battleships make excellent repair/resupply units. Just give them the equippable parts (you get 2 of each in all games IIRC) and the skills, and suddenly you have two super bulky support units with command auras and lots of spirits. The ships only have barely enough space for both parts too so this is pretty much their intended use.

That's one way to use them. Another way is to slap the resupply on a weak unit and have your lowest level pilot pilot it (unless the lowest leveled pilot is a ship captain, then you have to put in on a ship). Put your highest level unit in a jet (or some other weak unit that you won't miss, but requires EN to move). Have those two units do the resupply dance (high level person moves next to the resupplier, resupply. On the next turn, high level person moves to the other side of the resupplies, and resupply again. Repeat). Have your main force turtle in a murder-ball and slowly advance on the enemy. Don't do this at the cost of skill points, so only when you don't have a time limit, or when the time limit only applies to part of a stage.

It works better on games that have dynamic enemy level scaling (OG1 unfortunately has static level scaling) because it makes the enemy stronger giving your main units more EXP. It's supremely abusable in SRW W, partly because it's such an easy game and partly because you have more resuppliers.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

KoB posted:

Im pertty sure all of these exist.

Theres definitely at least:
Huck MKIII
Gespenst MkII & Kai
whatever that Gesterbein or whatever is called
Grungust type 0
Type 3
DGG
Sladglmir
Ialdabaoth
CompiKaiser
Soulgain
Alt, Weiss, 'Burg, Falken

Theres a bunch more but I dont feel like making this bigger i guess.

I've got two Gespensts (One is the special edition red one from 2nd OGs), an OG Huckebein, both Fairlions, Guarlion Trombe, Grungust Type 3, Grungust Type 0, Alteisein Riese, Valsione and the R-Gun myself. I actually just got the Galilnagant for X-Mas too.

I've also got Weissritter and Cybuster as plain figures rather than models. Koto does their kits differently enough from Bandai that you'll really notice the difference if you build both kinds.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I was looking here http://en.kotobukiya.co.jp/product-title/super-robot-wars-og-original-generations/

Oh whoa these things are pricey (compared to mass production gunpla) https://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Super-Robot-Taisen-Granzon/dp/B009GCQNLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547075698&sr=8-1&keywords=neo+granzon

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Robot-Wars-Generation-Production/dp/B002X79LB2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1547075836&sr=8-16&keywords=gespenst

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here's all of them on one page:

http://dalong.net/review/kotobukiya.htm

Koto generally doesn't reprint their kits very often so they get scalper prices on the secondary market.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I've built only a handful of frame arms and megaman kits, I'm going to assume they're made of that famous kotobukiya kit plastic which is sharpened to cut your hands off. I don't know about paying $120 for a kit, that's like soul of chogokin money. I might just take a regular cheap gunpla and kitbash the hell out of it. Huckebeins are practically gundams anyway.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It varies wildly. The old Gespenst that comes pre-shattered in the box, Thrudgelmir's shoulders and sword that will draw blood and get stuck in wooden flooring, but Aussenseiter/New Gespenst that are 70-80% Bandai quality when I built them.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

EthanSteele posted:

It varies wildly. The old Gespenst that comes pre-shattered in the box, Thrudgelmir's shoulders and sword that will draw blood and get stuck in wooden flooring, but Aussenseiter/New Gespenst that are 70-80% Bandai quality when I built them.

Is it this one?

or the Gesterben which looks really good to me

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One day I'll get a Cybuster.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EthanSteele posted:

Thrudgelmir's shoulders and sword that will draw blood and get stuck in wooden flooring,

working as intended

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Check out the new Virtual On sticks!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ka0 posted:

Is it this one?

or the Gesterben which looks really good to me

The Gespenst Mk2 there is the one that came all busted up for me. The Gesterben uses the newer Gespenst mould I believe and that's the good one.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Is Masaki destined to become a deviantart version of himself, Asakim, as it appeared in the SRW Z games; is this the inevitable outcome of losing the LaGias elementals and having the Cybuster consume negative energy. If what the Kadum thing said is true and that all intelligent life generates negative nen, there's no point to fighting them, this race of superdimensional giants who can seemingly regenerate endlessly; but then, if an entire race of beings like the Balmarians can create an absurdly powerful robot like the Astraganant, or a nutcase from LaGias can come up with the Granzon using alchemy and joojoo, then aren't these life-ending giants hosed from the start?

My brain is blowing up slowly.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The Granzon isnt from La Gias, and Shu isnt either.
:goonsay:

e: Its based on alien tech that Earth/Shu wasnt supposed to fully understand but he did because hes Shu motherfuckin Shirakawa

KoB fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 10, 2019

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

KoB posted:

The Granzon isnt from La Gias, and Shu isnt either.
:goonsay:

Actually, Shu was born in La Gias. He was the son of Kyon Gran McSword and Misaki Shirakawa. His real name is Christoph Gran McSword ("Gran" being the middle name of those belonging to a Royal family line), but he would rather go by the name given to him by his mother.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Didn't he ask Volkruss specifically for god-tier intelligence in exchange for his own will. That's what used to motivate him, the loss of personal freedom and then recovering it at the cost of his life.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Is Masaki destined to become a deviantart version of himself, Asakim, as it appeared in the SRW Z games; is this the inevitable outcome of losing the LaGias elementals and having the Cybuster consume negative energy. If what the Kadum thing said is true and that all intelligent life generates negative nen, there's no point to fighting them, this race of superdimensional giants who can seemingly regenerate endlessly; but then, if an entire race of beings like the Balmarians can create an absurdly powerful robot like the Astraganant, or a nutcase from LaGias can come up with the Granzon using alchemy and joojoo, then aren't these life-ending giants hosed from the start?

My brain is blowing up slowly.

Yeah the thing about all the horrible negative dimension monsters and poo poo is that the Steel Dragon Task Force exists and due to its long and storied track record of slaughtering inconvenient gods, it effectively operates with carte blanche to fulfill its mission of using the Alt as a sewing needle to embroider the words 'Don't gently caress With Earth' directly into the fabric of existence.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 10, 2019

KoB
May 1, 2009

TheMajinZenki posted:

Actually, Shu was born in La Gias. He was the son of Kyon Gran McSword and Misaki Shirakawa. His real name is Christoph Gran McSword ("Gran" being the middle name of those belonging to a Royal family line), but he would rather go by the name given to him by his mother.

oh yeah now that you say that it sounds familiar.

lmao at McSword though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would pull up to a McDonalds drive-through to order a McSword tbh.

KoB
May 1, 2009
wait so did Shu name the Granzon's big sword and head beam after the royal name he doesnt care for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheMajinZenki posted:

("Gran" being the middle name of those belonging to a Royal family line)

Neo Gran Zon