Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Welcome to World of Final Fantasy! It was originally released for the Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita in 2016 (and a year later for PC). An upgraded version called Maxima was released in late 2018 for all platforms (Switch and XboxOne included this time). The Maxima upgrade added in a bunch of new content to the base game, including but not limited to: New items (mostly battle items), New Game+, one of the minigames has been made easier (actually a good thing as we'll find out), new Champions from Final Fantasy titles, a fishing minigame (Yay...), EX Dungeon, super boss, new difficulty mode (Nightmare), secret ending, new monsters. There are some other additions, but I'll explain them once they actually become relevant.

This is apparently one of the select few Final Fantasy games that LP'ers on this site won't touch for some reason. Final Fantasy Legend? You can find I, II, and III. Mystic Quest? You bet your rear end there's Mystic Quest. The MMORPG FFXIV? CrashScreen is doing a drat Screenshot LP of that one. World of Final Fantasy? Nada. Which isn't to say that the game is so bad that everyone is avoiding it. It's actually a pretty pleasant game. It was part of the Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary, so it contains a huge amount of characters, monsters, locales, music, and overall nostalgia for the series. It just seems to have flown mostly under the radar, possibly because it isn't so good that there is a massive fanbase for it (like the main series entries) while also not being so bad that its infamy draws attention.

So I've decided to try and fight through this Behemoth after getting my feet wet with Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (check it out! :argh:).

- This will be a screenshot LP with some links to music and videos where appropriate. I will be playing the Steam version of the game with the Maxima upgrade.

- I won't be aiming for 100% completion, but I will be doing my best to show off as much as possible (Jokes on me, I ended up basically doing a 100% run anyway). I may have missed some tiny things unintentionally, but all major content is shown off. I only played the base game in 2016, so some things may have been added with Maxima that I didn't catch (especially reference wise). A good thing about this game is that you can't really permanently miss anything, at least as far as I'm aware. As for the various references to Final Fantasy/other games or media, several goons from the thread helped contribute, but none of us are perfect so don't be surprised if you spot a shout-out that isn't mentioned.

- I'll be having some fun with the game in terms of commentary, but unlike my last LP I won't be injecting any dialog into the characters. There's a bit of a reason behind that...

Let's get this out of the way. The Final Fantasy series has some of the most devoted and also vicious fans that I've ever seen in a game franchise. Every fan has their own personal view on the best and worst titles/characters/moments/music/era/directors/etc. in the series. A good number of the more insane fans are more than willing to scream share these opinions with you the moment you so much as breathe a word of your own. This is usually accompanied, or followed, by making GBS threads over whatever thing you like most.

Discussion in the original thread on SomethingAwful remained thankfully incident free. I just include this part in the archive to make it known that the thread didn't get torn apart by petty arguments (although it did come close at one point).

While we're on the subject, I'll go ahead and get my personal biases out of the way in terms of the main entries: Final Fantasy VI (North American III) was my first, Final Fantasy VII is tied for my all time favourite game (in general, not just restricted to the series), I hate the entire Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, I-III and V were enjoyable, Tactics and IV and VI were good, VIII was ehhhh, don't care for IX, I liked some parts of X, X-2 was just ridiculous (in both good and bad ways), don't care for XII, XV was pretty good, and I play a Tank in Final Fantasy XIV and gently caress each and every one of you that piles the weight of the entire dungeon squarely on my shoulders like I'm your goddamn babysitter.

Ahhh, refreshing. There you go. Now all of you know exactly the right amount of hate/smug you need to apply while going into this.

And yes, don't worry about it. I'm going to avoid taking swings at fans of any game during the LP. You enjoy whatever you want. However I do reserve the right to share my opinions within the thread.

One last thing we need to discuss. Spoilers. World of Final Fantasy combines characters, events, locations, and all sorts of potentially spoilerly stuff from pretty much the entire franchise. There isn't really a way to avoid them completely. So this LP will have Open Spoilers.

:siren: If you absolutely do not want spoilers for any Final Fantasy from 1 through 15, then you may want to just leave this LP for sometime in the future when you no longer care. As of writing, the most recent game in the main franchise is Final Fantasy XV, and that's been out for two years now, which I think is a pretty good length of time for anyone who wanted to play it to actually get to it. :siren:

The exception to the Spoiler Rule above is Final Fantasy XIV. FFXIV is the MMO title that is still active. The game came out in 2013, but new expansions have been released every two years. 2019 will see the release of the next one, Shadowbringers. Due to that, I am barring spoilers for FFXIV. Characters and events are referenced/appear throughout the game, from the base to the newest expansion (Stormblood), so there won't be any major story spoilers for that entry.

Now that all of that is clear, let's get this Phantom Train rolling.

Prologue: Awake at Last
Update -I- Tutorial Town

Chapter 1: Land of the Lilikin
Update -II- What if God was one of us?

Chapter 2: Foretold by Prophecy
Update -III- All aboard the nostalgia train!

Chapter 3: Old Acquaintances
Update -IV- You've been Thunderstruck

Chapter 4: A Legendary Warrior
Update -V- Come on, baby, light my fire

Chapter 5: The Champion Who Saved Grymoire
Update -VI- On the road to Viridian Forest
Update -VII- History Lesson
Lil' Adventures I

Chapter 6: Solace from the Ice
Update -VIII- Walking in a winter wonderland

Chapter 7: The Thane and the Knave
Update -IX- Family Reunion
Lil' Adventures II

Chapter 8: Buccaneer Blues
Update -X- One Piece

Chapter 9: The Low Seas
Update -XI- Pleasure Cruise

Chapter 10: Too Warm a Welcome
Update -XII- I summon up the power of the God Hand
Lil' Adventures III

Chapter 11: Crimson and Azure
Update -XIII- Burn baby burn

Chapter 12: Ribbit Jiggle Panic
Update -XIV- Gettin' jiggy wit it

Chapter 13: Castle in the Desert
Update -XV- Tremors

Chapter 14: Lost Powers
Update -XVI- Doing Hard Time

Chapter 15: The Mako Reactor and the Black Mages
Update -XVII- PK hates The Compilation of FFVII
Update -XVIII- Mako Mages

Chapter 16: Clash on Big Bridge
Update -XIX- I would walk 500 miles
Lil' Adventures IV

Chapter 17: Naught but Nightmares
Update -XX- Castlevania
Update -XXI- Soul Train

Chapter 18: The Fell Spell and the Quacho Queen
Update -XXII- AH HAH HAH HAH HAH
Update -XXIII- Darling it's better, down where it's wetter

Chapter 19: The Other Nine Wood Hills
Update -XXIV- Stairway to Heaven
Update -XXV- Stairway to Boredom

Chapter 20: The Crimson Prophecy's End
Update -XXVI- Bahamutian Beatdown
Update -XXVII- Mistakes were made

Chapter 21: Chaos in Grymoire
Update -XXVIII- Reynn celebrates while hundreds die
Update -XXIX- Cogna No. 5
Lil' Adventures V
Lil' Adventures VI
Update -XXX- Soul Chai- wait, I already used that one
Update -XXXI- Silent World

Postscript: Turn Those Corners Up
Update -XXXII- Gotta catch 'em all
Update -XXXIII- The Magnificent Seven
Lil' Adventures VII
Lil' Adventures VIII
Update -XXXIV- Family Reunion Redux
Update -XXXV- The End... mostly

Postgame: Maxima and More
Update -XXXVI- Frustrating Fishing
Update -XXXVII- Friendship Lessons
Update -XXXVIII- Finale

Extended Universe Updates
Part I: Introduction and Final Fantasy VII
Part II: Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy X
Part III: Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy IV
Part IV: Final Fantasy XIII and the Fabula Nova Crystallis

Extras
Videos and Music (Plus some of the images I put together for fun that appear in the LP)

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

~Video List~

Highlight/Story Videos
Prologue Scenes

Update 2 Highlights (Mirage Capture, Chocolatte Intro, Serafie Intro)
Opening Animation

Update 3 Highlights
Update 4 Highlights
Update 5 Highlights
Update 6 Highlights
Update 7 Highlights
Lil' Update 1 Highlights

Update 8 Highlights
Update 9 Highlights
Lil' Update 2 Highlights

Update 10 Highlights
Update 11 Highlights
Update 12 Highlights
Lil' Update 3 Highlights

Update 13 Highlights
Update 14 Highlights
Update 15 Highlights
Update 16 Highlights
Update 17 Highlights
Update 18 Highlights
Update 19 Highlights
Lil' Update 4 Highlights

Update 20 Highlights
Update 21 Highlights
Update 22 Highlights
Update 23 Highlights
Update 24 Highlights

Update 25 Highlights
Update 26 Highlights
Update 27 Highlights
Update 28 Highlights
Update 29 Highlights
Lil' Update 5 Highlights

Lil' Update 6 Highlights
Update 30 Highlights
Update 31 Highlights
Update 32 Highlights
Update 33 Highlights
Lil' Update 7 Highlights

Lil' Update 8 Highlights
Update 34 Highlights
Update 35 Highlights
Ending Credits: World Parade
True End Post-Credits Stinger

Update 36 Highlights
Update 37 Highlights
Update 38 Highlights + Maxima Secret Ending

Champion Summons
Sephiroth (DLC) - FFVII
Balthier (DLC) - FFXII
Warrior of Light - FFI
Refia - FFIII
Tifa - FFVII
Snow - FFXIII
Lightning - FFXIII
Squall - FFVIII
Shelke - FFVII DoC
Bartz - FFV
Celes - FFVI
Cloud - FFVII
Shantotto - FFXI
Tidus - FFX
Terra - FFVI
Yuna - FFX

Sora (A limited time DLC Summon to celebrate the release of Kingdom Hearts 2.8. Was only available for a 2 month period and is no longer obtainable)

~Music List~

Opening Theme
Title Screen
Normal Battle 1
Victory Theme
Lann's Theme
Reynn's Theme
Chocolatte's Theme
Boss Theme
The Champions Melody
Happy Melody
Prismelody - Sherlotta
Joyride Melody
Coliseum Theme
Labyrinth of Ice
League Melody
Mega Mirage Melody
Labyrinth of Fire
Refreshing Melody
Chocobo Theme
Sunken Shrine
Giga World of Battle
Exnine Melody
Mad Dash Melody
World of the Cathedral
Castle Melody
Ex World of Battle
Silent World
Unhappy Melody
Hauyn's Melody
Last World of Battle
Ending Melody
World Parade
The Immortal Dark Dragon

Town Theme
Cornelia Castle
The Scene of Battle

Rebel Army - Firion's Theme

Battle 1

Rydia's Theme

Clash on the Big Bridge - F
Clash on the Big Bridge - C
Library of the Ancients

Edgar's Theme
Battle to the Death
The Decisive Battle

One-Winged Angel
Those Who Fight
Tifa's Theme
Mako Reactor
A Girl Named Shelke
Those Who Fight Further

Never Look Back
Don't Be Afraid
Balamb Garden

Vivi's Theme (Not actually in WoFF, which I think is a little unfair)
Festival of the Hunt

The Sending
A Fleeting Dream
Blitz Off! - Zanarkand

Awakening

The Fates

Snow's Theme - F
Blinded by Light
Snow's Theme ~S~

Torn from the Heavens

Veiled in Black

The Remains of Time

~Bonus Images~

M.C.Hammer wanted in on that sweet brand deal cash that Lightning was getting, so he jumped ship as soon as our backs were turned. Such a sellout.

This just sums up the entire FFX Extended Universe, as sad as that is.

Toriyama keeps managing to break into the WoFF dev team's office to force Lightning in to whatever scenes he can.

Macho Madness is comin' at ya! Oh yeah!

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 1, 2019

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

[???]: Tick, tock, tick, tock...

We open with a small narration (sort of?), from a mystery girl.

[???]: Tick, tock...

The Brother is awake, having been asleep on the ground apparently.

He's got some fancy gauntlet on. No slots for stones though. Immediate disappointment.

Of course, since there's "The Brother", you're also going to get "The Sister".

She's got a gauntlet on the opposite hand. Her's is silver with a blue gem thing though.

They are on top of a huge-rear end building. I'm going to assume there's like, a ladder or something hidden just out of view. I don't see any roof access to this place, or guardrails for that matter.

There's a few panning shots of the city at the street level, but it's all just brick and stonework. Nothing particularly noteworthy. While the cameraman is busy filming material for a tourism pamphlet as a side gig, the brother and sister have wobbly wandered over to the edge of the big building in kind of a zombie/half-awake looking state.

[???]: Time to wake up.

Our mystery girl says it's time to wake up, then proceeds to fall off screen, giving us a brief glimpse of some kind of butterfly wing hair accessories. Bad choice on the glitter kid, that poo poo is going to be stuck in your hair for eternity.

The brother and sister proceed to follow mystery girl's thought process and just lazily fall off the building.

Good riddance to those Kingdom Hearts looking goofballs. Now where's our Final Fantasy protagonists?

Dammit.

Huh...?

*Yawn* What a nap...

.....Oh, right. I gotta get to work.

-Plaza 99-

Controls are simple RPG style. Left Analog Stick/WASD moves the character around. Circle/B (or whatever the hell you assigned that to on keyboard) will make him do a tiny hop, which is useless and I don't know why they bothered to put it in. Select gives you a larger view of your map. That's all we can really do right now. Let's head to this job that the brother keeps yammering about.

The Star on the map/mini-map will signal where your main objective is. In this case, we need to go straight ahead and through those doors behind the pillars.

You only have limited camera control by the way. The Right Analog stick lets you slide the camera around a tiny bit.

-North Promenade-

We can only go in the one direction, so just proceed forward to Nine Bean Coffee, which is the brown building in the back.

-Nine Bean Coffee-

Hey, I'm here!

Huh? How'd she get in if no one's here yet?

Oh, right! She needs some water.

Oh, no thanks. A pint-- I mean, a cup of coffee, please. Oh, and bring the whole jar of sugar. I'm gonna need it.

Right, that's one cuppa joe. And I'll get you one of the big jars.

Also, no. Nobody is acknowledging the little thing on his head. It's just there.

I'm sorry, miss. This might take a while.

Hey, no hurry! Time's not an issue.

*Later*

Here you go.

Thank you.

Jesus, lady! Just drink soda if you want that much sugar! She puts 13 cubes of sugar in her coffee. That's about 52g of it, or a 500ml bottle of Coca-Cola. That mug looks like it's got about 250-300ml in it.

I'm not a coffee person though. Any bean lovers out there want to comment on how insane/reasonable 13 sugar cubes would be in a cup of coffee?

Hey! We've got a name from the sister!

Keep it down, Reynn. How 'bout acting your age, huh?

And there's the sister's.

Hey, don't talk down to me. Listen, last time I checked, little bro, I've been around a few minutes longer than you.

Okay, okay! I get it already! *looks to the customer* Very sorry!

I'm just going to establish this right out of the gate. Reynn is the sibling that pretends to be super mature (but is still childish enough to claim to be the 'older' one by a minute), Lann is the idiot. Lann's idiocy will waver between 'typical idealist JRPG protagonist' and 'unable to dress himself'. I just wanted to give you fair warning of what we're in for with these two, at least for a good chunk of the game.

Also, Lann is voiced by Josh Keaton in English and Soma Saito in Japanese. Reynn is voiced by Amanda Leighton in English and Sora Amamiya in Japanese.

So here are our protagonists for this game.

So, what's up? I'm all ears.

Well you don't have to get all sarcas-- Uh...

*Reynn somehow only just now notices the fox*

You really are all ears.

Uh, what?

Despite pointing up at it and Lann looking up trying to get a look at what she's talking about, the two of them choose to ignore it and move on.

Forget it. So Lann, have you seen anybody this morning?

Well, yeah. I mean, I'm looking right at you, aren't I? And there's that customer.

Aaah! H-hello.

You didn't even see her? Dude.

Yeah, but... Ugh, look. Come with me right now.

*Reynn proceeds to grab Lann by the arm and drag him out the front door*

So it's a quiet morning. Maybe they just...

I. Mean. No one!

Huh?

Lann, have you bumped into anyone today? Besides her?

Uh... now that you mention it, I guess not.

And this isn't setting off any alarms?

Should it?

You two really don't remember a thing.

Huh? What was that?

Reynn, manners.

You two really don't remember a thing.

Would you please just answer my question?

You can call me Enna... Kros. Enna Kros will work.

Enna Kros is voiced by Cassandra Morris in English and Kana Hanazawa in Japanese.

Okay, well... we woke up to a ghost town this morning. Maybe you know why?

Yes, you're quite alone. But you always have been.

Huh?

This world, it's always been the two of you. A world without time, one that ended when it began.

Wha? That's the weirdest thing I've heard.

But don't worry. Just because the world ended, doesn't mean that it's going anywhere. You know, I have been checking up on you two. Until now you were nothing but blank stares. So imagine my surprise when Lann took my order! What a morning.

Okay... now you're kind of scaring me.

So! Now that you're awake, we've got a story to tell.

Right the-here!

Tama is voiced by Lisa Kay Jennings in English, Ayana Taketatsu in Japanese.

Aaah! Who the honk put this thing on my head?!

This game is rated E10+ in North America by the way. So get used to hearing incredibly strange substitutes for curse/naughty words.

Yeah, I did try to mention it before.

You take it from here. I'll go on ahead and link up a path.

You the-got it!

Also, I hope you all like Starfire and/or Teen Titans GO! Tama's speech pattern involves sprinkling 'the' all over the place. It sounds exactly as loving irritating as you would expect.

Huh? H-Hey, you can't just leave!

Salu-the-tations! The name is Tama and I'm the-here to help out. Does anyone the-have any questions?

Hmmm... Wait, I've got tons of questions!

That's the-seriously the first thing on your mind? Ugh... Now I the-see why Enna Kros was just about the-ready to throw in the towel.

We're not allowed to be confused?!

Hey whoa, take it easy there, Lann.

I thought you were upset too!

Let's start the-over. I'll make us some the-coffee.

Oh, yes please!

But... I already made some coffee before you got here. How can you just roll with this, Reynn?!

Chill the-ouuut. You'll live the-much longer.

Yeah, Lann. You shouldn't start out your morning with so much stress.

Oh! Would you the-like some sugar?

Three cubes for you, right, Lann? I'm good with just one.

Okay! I'll the-go and put the coffee on.

Check out the video at the end of the update by the way. The characters, Lann and Reynn especially, have a habit of making incredibly exaggerated/overly dramatic movements. I'm not a fan of that style, personally. It looks too goofy and also like they are trying too hard to make something funny.

It might seem like I'm complaining a lot, but I do genuinely enjoy the graphical look of this game. I don't like the Kingdom Hearts look of the human characters because I'm not a fan of Kingdom Hearts, but it still looks good from a quality standpoint. There is also something that will largely remedy my dislike of KH aesthetics, but we'll get to that in due time.

That's the-correct! Those the-marks on your arms are proof. You were born to work the-miracles!

Miracles? Our arms can... do that?

Dude...

How could you the-forget? You used to command a whole the-legion of them. You were masters of them: powerful, living illusions known as "Mirages"!

Oh...

So... we could have ruled the world? Because, what, we controlled these "Mirages"?

Well, that's what I the-heard.

From who?

What do you mean? Enna Kros the-told me, of course! But enough the-reminiscing. I've gotta the-teach you two to use Mirages again.

What? How's that?

First off, I'm the-going to present you with my very own prismarium!

With this prismarium, the Mirage inside becomes yours, and you can the-make it do the-anything and the-everything you command. So, let's the-try it right now in glorious combat!

Wait, what? Huh?

Too late! Combat tutorial incoming! Click here to watch the video!

Okay, go ahead and the-throw some attacks out there. To take action, you need to spend something called Action Points, also the-known as AP. You automatically gain a little the-bit of AP each the-time your turn comes around in battle. The amount of AP you need depends on the-what you're trying to do. So make the-sure you use them wisely!

As explained, attacks and Abilities a require a certain amount of AP to do which is dependent on the skill/action.

The game also uses the Active Time Battle system. ATB was designed by Hiroyuki Ito and first used in Final Fantasy IV. The meter wasn't introduced until Final Fantasy V. It was slightly tweaked from game to game from IV through IX, and also made some appearances in other Square games.

The ATB system in this game has three settings: Wait, Semi-Active, and Active. Wait will cause the battle to pause when your character's turn comes up, Active won't pause the battle even when you are looking through menus. Semi-Active will pause in the Classic Menu but won't in the Shortcut Menu style. I have always preferred Wait, personally.

There are two battle menu styles you can use, although you can swap between them with the click of the left shoulder button.

The classic style is the other one. This is closer to older Final Fantasy games where all of your options are laid out for you. I much prefer this style, to the point that you will never see me using the Shortcut version.

You can change between these whenever you want in battle, but the default style needs to be changed in the settings.

Anyway, we've got two abilities to use at the moment. Foxfire is a basic fire spell. Libra will let us scan the monster we're fighting and get some more info on it.

Yurugu is a Tama impersonator, one that we cannot catch in this battle. You can cycle through your characters using the shoulder buttons while you're here.

On top of Elemental Resists, you can also see Ailment Resistances by flicking the right analog stick.

We've got limited options, so Lann just takes a swing with his gauntlet and deals 45 damage.

Holding the right shoulder button will let you speed things up, by the way. There's an option to change this to a toggle if you want. Clicking in the analog stick will speed things up even further, although this is always set to toggle. I think this extra fast speed setting is a Maxima add-on, or at the very least a patch.

I the-knew that you had talent!

And here's the menu style explanation. This is another reason I don't use the Shortcut style. Items and Target selection can only be done in Classic.

A few more attacks and Tama finally calls it quits for this minor tutorial.

We get 10 EXP, but that gets divided between Tama and Lann. Mirages in the main battle party get a bigger share of the EXP, while the ones in reserve just get a small flat percentage. We also get 7 Gil (Gil is the term for money in the FF-verse).

The-figure it out yet? The two of you were un-the-surpassed. No the-Mirage could stand up to you!

Dude. Seriously?

Dude, the-seriously.

It's hard to believe.

I'm sure it is. As far as I can tell, you two have lost everything--all the memories and experience you've ever accumulated. Oh... but wait. Of course that would have happened when you and this world were spliced out.

Huh?

So not only did they the-lose the Mirages they had, they've been the-stripped of all their memories of the Mirages too? But, I guess that explains why all their other memories seem to be largely un-the-affected.

What?

Listen. Let me show you something.

*And everyone follows Enna Kros off to somewhere*

-Sylver Park-

That... is where you'll find all the Mirages you've lost.

You mean they're all inside this gate?

You got it. Are you ready to conquer them again?

So, um, if we do manage to find all the lost Mirages... does that mean we'll be able to remember the things we forgot?

Oh...

But, even if you don't remember Grymoire, Grymoire still knows a lot about you. You're certain to find traces and records of your past.

Okay... so, like...

You're saying, whether we remember anything about ourselves or not, we can still find clues about our past and the things we've done?

Correct. And if you keep on gathering Mirages, I think you might even meet your family in due time.

Our family?

Huh? Well I guess, it does make sense that we'd have parents.

Oh yes. So then... You going? You going? Will you journey to Grymoire?

Totally excited for it apparently.

After the twins jump into the portal, we get a Save opportunity. This brings the Prologue to a close.

Next time, we kick off Chapter 1 and find out what the deal is with this 'Grymoire' place. Also, we get to be Pokemon trainers and start catching a team of little Final Fantasy critters which are adorable as almighty hell.

Videos

Prologue Scenes

I won't be doing these videos for every dialog scene, I just felt that the Prologue would benefit from it. I'll mostly be doing videos for scenes that are important or cool or interesting, as well as the scenes where the Final Fantasy characters get introduced and talk with each other.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 1, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Woo! Been waiting for this! No idea why nobody's LPd it yet, but I'm glad you decided to!

I've been on the fence about getting this game. I'll see/read one thing that makes me want it, and then see/read another that makes me not want it. This LP should help me decide once and for all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard of this game, but wasn't aware that it was celebrating the 30th anniversary, so I'm interested in seeing how it does that for all the mainline games. Though that makes me wonder, does that include Final Fantasy XI? It wan't mentioned in the op.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard of this game, but wasn't aware that it was celebrating the 30th anniversary, so I'm interested in seeing how it does that for all the mainline games. Though that makes me wonder, does that include Final Fantasy XI? It wan't mentioned in the op.

Yep, XI is included. I believe WoFF includes at least passing references to every single Final Fantasy game, except possibly Mystic Quest. Some of them are more obscure than others, of course. It also includes several references to non-Final Fantasy Squaresoft games, like Xenogears and Einhander (yes, seriously, Einhander, and if you knew that was a Squaresoft game before reading this you're one of very few).

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh my God, yes. I need to get back to playing this myself; it's a grand game.

For now, I'll just say Psycho's comments about Lann's level of intelligence and Tama's verbal tic are not exaggerations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

I didn't play XI, which is why I didn't mention it. I didn't include it with the XIV/WoFF Spoiler Exception because unlike XIV, XI is no longer active.

As Zurai mentioned, XI is represented. The Maxima version has at least one character from every main entry, although the base game actually had no II or XII representation, which was really weird. It also didn't have XV representation, but that's because XV was still a month away from releasing I believe.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh my God, yes. I need to get back to playing this myself; it's a grand game.

For now, I'll just say Psycho's comments about Lann's level of intelligence and Tama's verbal tic are not exaggerations.

I desperately wish I was. I do really like this game, but Lann and Tama can be very grating to listen to for their respective reasons.

There is a Japanese voice option, but I play in English for transcription purposes.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 10, 2019

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

Also, I hope you all like Starfire and/or Teen Titans GO! Tama's speech pattern involves sprinkling 'the' all over the place. It sounds exactly as loving irritating as you would expect.
Don't you mean honking irritating? ...I still don't understand how that got to be their go to substitute for actual profanity.

Anyway, I thought this game was fairly good. Didn't much care for some of the graphical and gameplay decisions, but there were other ones I thought were great. Though I suppose I should wait for you to get there before commenting on what those are.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
At least Starfire's are just turning something into a singular that shouldn't be (i.e. Let us order the pizza and play the video game) where as this is just the-placing it randomly to be the-annoying.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Is there any benefit from using Shortcut Mode that's not obsolete by setting the ATB to Wait?

Lann might be stupid, but at least he won't be as stupid as Leonard, right? :ohdear:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, I'm wondering-will there be thread participation regarding Pokemon Mirage names? Or will you just name them yourself? Asking out of curiosity,because the OP doesn't make that clear.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1234567890num posted:

Is there any benefit from using Shortcut Mode that's not obsolete by setting the ATB to Wait?

Lann might be stupid, but at least he won't be as stupid as Leonard, right? :ohdear:

I dunno, "Becoming the final boss of your own video game because you literally cannot count to 5" is one hell of a high bar to clear...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I like the profanity filtering because that's what you do to swear while not-swearing.
Also ducks honk so it's like, two things removed from the actual phonetics of the swear.

Tama on the other hand... Points for effort but that verbal tick is crazy annoying to hear because it's in the middle of whatever's being said. It's harder to ignore that way.

I like this game and need to play more of it. Don't have the Maxima version though.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Edvarius posted:

Don't you mean honking irritating? ...I still don't understand how that got to be their go to substitute for actual profanity.

:colbert: No, I most certainly do not mean that.

1234567890num posted:

I honestly don't see any benefit to Shortcut mode at all to be honest. It claims to be quicker, but that's only if you memorize all of your assigned shortcuts which will be constantly shifting throughout the game. It's no use for grinding either since the game has an auto-battle mode which you could use instead.

The only 'use' I have seen for Shortcut mode is that apparently the crazy people that do the PvP battle mode swear it's a must have. PvP is always Active mode, so apparently being able to react a half second quicker (in a non-action/non-reflex based RPG) is somehow necessary. To each their own I suppose.

And as nine-gear-crow said, topping Leonard's "I'm going to 'help' even though all of my comrades and the princess I'm crushing on are ordering me not to for the safety of everyone involved" is definitely a tall order. Lann can definitely be a moron, but Leonard is near impossible to overcome.

VolticSurge posted:

So, I'm wondering-will there be thread participation regarding Pokemon Mirage names? Or will you just name them yourself? Asking out of curiosity,because the OP doesn't make that clear.

At the moment, no. Like Pokemon, Mirages can only be renamed upon getting them, and I record gameplay an hour or two at a time.

There is an item that will let us rename them though, which I think is obtained fairly early in the game. Once that pops up, I'm open to letting the thread name the little critters.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade

Psycho Knight posted:

Jesus, lady! Just drink soda if you want that much sugar! She puts 13 cubes of sugar in her coffee. That's about 52g of it, or a 500ml bottle of Coca-Cola. That mug looks like it's got about 250-300ml in it.

I'm not a coffee person though. Any bean lovers out there want to comment on how insane/reasonable 13 sugar cubes would be in a cup of coffee?

Speaking as someone who works in a fast food coffee location, it is excessive but not the worst I've seen. Some people want more than half the cup filled with sugar and cream, and I know at least once we received an order that didn't even fit in the cup, even before any coffee was added. Still less weird or troublesome as the old lady who ordered 14 shots of decaff espresso through the drive-through, though.

As to the game itself, I quite enjoyed it. Sure, Lann is an idiot. Yes, the two do some things that are honking stupid. WoFF was still a nice Not!Pokemon game. It also managed to really surprise me twice. The first was the Einhander reference, the second took longer to get to and would be spoilers to go into. Although, I am curious what the Xenogears reference was now, as I didn't notice it when playing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sugar is reserved for weak soft drinks, not coffee. What is the point of putting anything else in coffee? Order something else if it doesn't fulfill you as it is.

Hearing of a Xenogears reference made me interested. I thought Square forgot it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Xenogears reference is post-game material, just so no one gets their hopes up that we'll see it soon. WoFF is actually fairly long for as cutesy and straightforward as it makes itself seem.

(Psycho Knight, I personally wouldn't consider that a spoiler but if you'd prefer I removed it, just let me know)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Sugar is reserved for weak soft drinks, not coffee. What is the point of putting anything else in coffee? Order something else if it doesn't fulfill you as it is.

There are times where people like me that hate coffee still need a caffeine shot. Drowning it in sugar becomes a survival strategy because it's not like we actually enjoy the taste.
Anyone that claims to like coffee and drinks it with sugar is lying though.

E: I have a really sweet tooth but those thirteen cubes were still giving me diabetes by proxy

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A bit ot, but adding a little bit of salt helps cut down on the bitterness of the coffee and makes the sugar taste sweeter so you don't need as much of it.

cat beard
Dec 19, 2011
I always really liked the art style in this game, the monster designs translate weirdly well into these top heavy bobble head looking critters.

I still don't know who thought Tama's vocal tic was a good idea. My god.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet Tama's tic is different and not as annoying in the Japanese version. Here, it reminds me of Poshul.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Scalding Coffee posted:

I bet Tama's tic is different and not as annoying in the Japanese version. Here, it reminds me of Poshul.
Verbal tics are always an annoying character trait, even in Japanese.

I also used to think they were unrealistic. Then I met people who end literally every sentence with "bro".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

I also used to think they were unrealistic. Then I met people who end literally every sentence with "bro".

Or the honkers who can't help but honk at every possible honking moment those motherhonking honker honks.

Another reason why silly swear replacements are potentially amusing :allears:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, it's literally uncontrollable for some people, far as I can tell. There used to be a supervisor in my office that routinely sprinkled "and that" into anything she said at random, and one of the RPG podcasts I listen to has a player who early in the cast could barely get through four words without inserting "it's like" in there. (He's much better now, thankfully.)

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Welcome back to the first actual update of the play through. The prologue was pretty short, but now we'll be getting into the game proper and doing a little exploring.

In the last update we got to meet our heroes, Lann and Reynn. A brother and sister combination that lived in some kind of lost-to-time ghost city. A strange woman named Enna Kros struck up a conversation, introduced a little fox companion named 'Tama', then were told that they used to be something called Mirage Keepers.

Enna Kros showed the twins a portal which they have jumped into, all so that they can try to regain their memories of whatever the hell happened in their lives.

Which brings us here to Wellspring Woods in the Land of the Lilikin. What's a Lilikin? Let's have a look.

They're chibi, basically. I'm fine with that. Way better to look at than the KH look in my personal opinion.

*laughing* I know, we look ridiculous!

Huh?

Tama still looks the same though.

Enna Kros just wanted to make sure you had a nice and the-handy way of blending in.

Wow, she can do stuff like that?

That is awesomely weird.

Uhh, people can still see your arm Reynn. It didn't just disappear.

Way to find the silver lining.

We can switch between forms as we wish. Sometimes there are places or items that only a particular person size can get to.

Changing size has an impact on our combat style as well. We'll see why that is in a little while.

There's also a Tip sheet in case you need a reminder on how certain mechanics work.

Anyway, we get control for a few seconds before our next Tutorial. We're not quite out of Tutorial Town yet, unfortunately. We haven't even learned how to catch Pokemon Mirages yet!

It's the only direction we can go. Think you can manage to not get lost? You know, just this once?

What? I'm not gonna get lost! ...Yet.

Now that we have some control, we can take a look at our main menu. Not a whole lot to see right now though. The game will explain everything over time, but for now I just want to draw attention to Config.

Config is where you can set up everything to your personal preference. You can do it from the title menu as well. I recommend setting your Battle Menu preference right away, so that you aren't constantly swapping over to the one you want. Battle Mode is something you can experiment with to see what style you prefer most. Voice Language is available, but I will be sticking with English in case I need to compare voiced things with the transcription/subtitles.

There's also an option to set the Battle Theme as well, which is nice. Final Fantasy has a lot of good music, so being able to swap the battle theme to a classic tune is great. I'll leave it as Default during the LP. At the moment, there are only five options: Default, Random, Normal Battle 1 (the standard WoFF battle theme), Champion Theme: Sephiroth (from FFVII), and Champion Theme: Balthier (from FFXII). Sephiroth and Balthier are DLC Champions (Sephiroth was DLC for the original game, Balthier was added with Maxima). I won't link to their music until we actually acquire them, because the videos kind of spoil the magic.

Finally, there are some cheat options in here for anyone that doesn't want to be assed to actually play the game parts of this game. I believe this is a Maxima add-on, since I don't recall this existing in the base game (I was informed that these cheats were part of a patch at some point). Square did something similar to this when they brought the retouched PC Final Fantasy VII version to the PS4, adding in button combos for stuff like Full HP/MP Recover and constant Limit Breaks.

Before we move on, I want to note that Lann and Reynn can be in different forms from each other, and you can change who the lead character is using the right shoulder button. This just changes who you run around as. I'll swap randomly between the two whenever I remember, just to switch things up.

Enough of that though. There's a strange little blob off in the background there, so let's go check it out.

That is the-called a chocochick.

:stare: It's goddamn adorable and I want it.

What are you the-waiting for? Go on and imprism the-it!

Okay!

Tama takes up residence on Lann's head this time. We'll be getting an explanation shortly on how that all works.

So what now?

First, you're the-going to need this!

It looks sort of like a prismarium. What is it?

That's the-called a "prism." Use it to the-make the chocochick's prismarium! Every time you find a new the-Mirage you haven't seen before, it'll be recorded in Enna Kros's special Mirage Manual.

Whoa! Does it even have pictures?!

You the-betcha! And the-whenever you add a new Mirage to the manual, you receive one of its prisms! But only the first time, the-mind you.

Prisms are Pokeballs. You get a freebe when you first run into a monster, but any others you'll have to collect on your own.

Okay, first, try the-weakening the chocochick. Then the-use your prism!

The next card has a blurb that goes "Huh? Why doesn't Enna Kros just fork over the whole lot of them right now? Come on, where's the fun in that?" Yeah, god forbid the game try and save us some meaningless busy work. Where's the fun in that?

The game also makes sure to point out that these little jail cells we're imprisoning the creatures in are totally fun and nice and comfortable inside. So there's no need to feel bad at all.

The nice thing about the Prisms thing is that failing to capture a Mirage won't use up the Prism. A Prism is only used up on a successful capture.

And here's everything you need to know about element and status ailment (icons). A lot of these should be straightforward even if you aren't familiar with Final Fantasy. We'll talk about each one as they become relevant.

Struggling to escape from the grasp of the tutorials, let's have a quick look at our soon-to-be little buddy using Libra. The bottom window is giving us a hint as to how we can create an opportunity to catch him. In this case, we just need to use physical attacks.

Go on! The-select the "Imprism" command! You might have to try different things before certain Mirages will let down their guard and the-give you a chance to imprism them. Think the-outside of the box!

Unlike Pokemon, we can't just go lobbing Pokeballs at things and snatching them up. Sometimes creating a prismtunity just requires a good smack or two, other times you'll need to get fancy with elements or statuses.

Hey the-look, you did it! Now that the chocochick is inside the prismarium, it's yours to the-keep!

The battle bumps everyone up a level, but doesn't give us any Gil.

We also get a little stat sheet on our new party member. Chocochick is the little hatchling form of the staple giant chicken creatures from Final Fantasy known as Chocobos. User Kheldarn informs me that Chocochicks first appeared at the end of FFV as Koko's babies. World of Final Fantasy says that Chocochick originates from FFXIII, but I think this might be referring to the Chocochick as a character. One of the main characters of FFXIII, Sazh Katzroy, has a baby Chocobo that hides out in his big afro. So I think this one is meant to reference the XIII one. That Chocochick didn't have a little eggshell helmet though, making it vastly inferior to our new friend.

Cycling through the pages, you can also get a look at the available skills that the Mirage can learn. The question-marked entries are for later, once little Chocochick grows up a little.

Mirages can be named upon capture, but you'll need a particular item in order to rename them after that. The item isn't too far into the game from what I recall, so once we acquire it then I will start taking name suggestions from the thread. For now, Chocochick will remain Chocochick.

Pretty the-neat, huh? Next, why the-don't you have a go at "stacking" that chocochick on your head? Here, watch, I'll the-show you!

Oh, now I get it! So when I saw you perched on Lann's head back in Nine Wood Hills, that's what you call "stacking."

Yup, that's the-right! While I'm up the-here, I get to take it nice and the-easy.

Uh, is that stacking or slacking?

Despite how stupid Lann can be, he does have a few good snappy remarks.

When you create a stack, the HP of everyone in the stack gets the-added together. Like they say, strength in the-numbers!

Oh! So it's like combining into a super-robot!

Better the-yet, your magic and other abilities have the potential to change, too. It all depends on how your stack is the-configured!

Huh? Oh, I don't need any action figures when I get to blast out super-attacks like a super-robot!

Well, just be the-careful. Stacking doesn't the-make you invincible. Some the-enemy attacks have the power to unstack you.

In other words: bye-bye, super-robot, so to speak.

Yowzers. That does sound like bad news.

It's true that we are individually the-weaker when we're unstacked, but look on the bright the-side. Since we each get our own the-turn in battle, we can use the extra moves to have one member attack and another the-heal. It can be very the-helpful.

Think the-carefully, and choose the best setup for the job.

This is the main battle mechanic for this game: stacking. Lann and Reynn act as the two main units, and you construct a team of three using two Mirages. A stack will be stronger, but might also result in a heavy weakness to an element or ailment if you aren't careful. Breaking up the stack will let every unit in said stack get their own turn, but they are weaker and easier to pick off one by one. This goes for enemy stacks as well.

You want to be sure to set up stacks for both Jiant and Lilikin forms though. You don't want to swap Reynn to Jiant form and end up in battle with her having no Mirages, just as an example.

Jiant Lann and Reynn are Large units, so you can only stack things on top of them. Lilikin Lann and Reynn are Medium units, so you can stack them on top of something and then stack something else on top of the twins.

It's a simple concept, but it makes for a surprising amount of fun with the experimentation you can do.

You aren't the-allowed to put big things on top of the-small things when creating a stack, so, to get on top of a Mirage, you need to the-be in Lilikin form. The best way to the-learn is to try it once you've rounded up a few more Mirages. You'll pick it the-up in no time!

I'd love to! If the tutorials would just shut the hell up long enough for me to mess around with it. I hate it when a game tells you to "learn by trying it out for yourself", then proceeds to railroad you into another half hour of tutorials.

We only have one option here, for instance. Stack Chocochick on Lann or Reynn's head.

Trudging ahead a few steps, the group runs into a bit of a roadblock.

But there's nowhere else to go. What are we gonna do?

Never the-fear!

Is this a Mirage, too?

Not in the traditional the-sense of the word. But you'll see these pests all over Grymoire, and unless you the-give them what they want, they'll give you a hard the-time and block the way.

So what is it they want?

It really the-depends on the Gimme Golem, so the first thing you'll have to the-do is examine it.

Let's have a look-see then.

So where do we find that?

That chocochick you just imprismed ought to be able to track the-down what we need. But first things the-first. You're going to have to unlock the right ability on the chocochick's the-Mirage Board.

This is a lot like the Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy X. You get SP for the monsters when they level up, you use that SP to unlock skills/abilities/attributes, and unlocking one point will allow you to purchase the ones linked to it.

I purchase the story mandated "Stroll" for Chocochick and then save the other 2 SP. I could have gotten an attack called "Ram" for 2 SP, but Cure is 4 SP and I would prefer to have access to that. I know Chocochick likes to headbutt things, but that will have to wait a little while longer.

I also use 3 of Tama's SP to get Strength+, which bumps Tama's strength up by 5 to 20.

With "Stroll", Chocochick gets to follow along with us!

If you wander over to the nearby bush, Chocochick will discover the item that we're looking for.

Yay! You the-found it! Now, try examining the Gimme Golem one more the-time.

Giving him the item he wants causes him to start glowing, then he sinks into the ground.

Whoa! It vanished!

That's so cool! I guess the chocochick found us just the item we needed.

Yup-the-yup! With the help of a Mirage or the-two, there's nothing that you can't accomplish. And Mirage Boards are for much the-more than unlocking abilities. You can also use them to change your Mirages into new and the-powerful forms. So be sure to keep on the-leveling up and working on your Mirage Boards! Pretty soon you'll be bouncing and the-trouncing across Grymoire like a pair of the-pros!

We'll get to that in due time, Tama. Chill out. Proceeding forward, there's a treasure chest in plain view just up from where the Gimme Golem was positioned.

It gives out 3 potions. Good basic healing item to have at the start.

So... Tama, I noticed Mirages disappear when we defeat them. Why is that?

Most of the Mirages you see in Grymoire don't actually the-technically belong in this world. And so, when one of you guys the-gives 'em the old KO, they can't maintain their presence here anymore. They fizzle the-out and go back to their own worlds.

Huh...

*thinking* (Wait. Now, that's weird... Who was it that told me all this before? Ugh, it's like... right there, on the tip of my tongue...)

As we move forward, the camera swings around to point us at another treasure chest way off in the distance. This one pops out a Phoenix Down. This item is used throughout the Final Fantasy series to bring back knocked-out party members with a small amount of HP. You can also use them on undead enemies to either hurt or instantly kill them.

Continuing along the only path available to us, we run into this spooky looking prism just chilling out.

This is the-called a murkrift. Inside, you're the-likely to find Mirages that are, shall we say--

Mirages? Oh man, let's go catch 'em!

And with that, Lann darts off straight into the thing. Reynn quickly follows behind him.

That was a mistake. Hey Behemoth! What's happening?

Uh... this one's not very cute.

Lann! Why did you-- Now what do we do?

I tried to the-tell you. Inside murkrifts, you're likely to find Mirages that are the-strong and dangerous.

You "tried to the-tell" us? Try a little harder, please!

This is Lann's screwup, but at the same time, here's a Pro-tip for everyone out there: if something you're standing next to is dangerous, make sure you open with that part before explaining it.

The Behemoth takes a swing and starts a battle. We get an empty prism for it, but this is a must-fail battle, so we won't be putting it to use this time.

No point in even trying to fight back. Just sit back and take it.

Oh no! Did you two die already?

What?! I died? But that's... No way.

Maybe it's true... That Mirage in the murkrift did kinda...

Well, I'm still alive.

Yes. That's because someone intervened right at the moment of your demise, and made it so the battle never happened.

Wow, you can really do that?

Of course! Although Tama's the one who does it.

Although, it the-costs me a life to do it, so I hope you don't mind if I rest for a little the-while afterwards.

A "life"?

You might not the-believe it, but I've actually got multiple lives. Back there, I had to sacrifice one of those lives to turn back time and the-save you. You see, this girl with a ribbon the-showed up in my dreams. She's the one who taught me how to the-do it.

That makes zero sense and kind of freaks me out, but Tama, I'm impressed!

The-thanks! Oh! But just so you know, I can only the-use my powers to protect the two of you specifically. And only the-if you lose a fight, like what happened to you in the murkrift. Oh the-yeah! And I can always the-recover my lives if you stay here and let me the-rest a spell. So don't forget to give me a breather before I run out of second the-chances.

Dude! You got it. Say no more! Rest yourself silly.

Yes the-sir!

Thanks, Tama. We really owe you one. Especially Lann, who didn't have the good sense to listen before diving in.

So losing regular battles is no big thing, which is nice if you haven't saved in a while or snagged a cool Mirage and then get blindsided by something. Getting wiped in a story significant place or against a boss won't afford you the same luxury though, that's just a Game Over.

This game does not autosave. Make sure you are saving whenever you get the chance.

Oh! If you mean our new guest, she claims to have gotten herself lost. Go say hello! She's quite the character.

Uh, okay!

The real question is how she got here from the outside world when it's no easy trick. She must have experience crossing between planes.

New objective: Track down the weird Lilikin lady that's dressed like she's headed to Carnaval.

-Plaza 99-

So... she's over at North Promenade.

North Promenade is just a short jog away. Leaving that last screen takes us right to Plaza 99. This ghost world doesn't exactly have a ton of locations to it.

-North Promenade-

Approaching her causes Lann and Reynn to automatically switch back to Jiant form.

Hello and how are you? Hmm?

Uh, good. More or less.

You know, what a nice, quiet place.

Oh, uh...

So who are the-you?

Oh! You can call me Chocolatte.

"Chocolatte", as she's known in this game, is voiced by Julie Nathanson in English and Seiko Ueda in Japanese.

"Chocolatte" is actually "Chocolina", who first appeared in Final Fantasy XIII-2. She's a traveling merchant in XIII-2 and a walking quest board in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. She also technically appears in the first Final Fantasy XIII. Remember when I talked about Chocochick appearing in XIII as Sazh's pet? That Chocobo Chick that lives in Sazh's afro in XIII is turned into a time-travelling/dimension hopping sexy Chocobo lady in XIII-2 by a goddess that was lost in time who also gave this sexy Chocobo lady the ability to transcend time and exist in every-when so that she could help the protagonists of XIII-2 in their own time-travel bullshit.

Don't look at me like that. I played the drat trilogy and I still can't make any sense of the XIII series. That's a freaking side-character. Just wait until I have to start talking about Lightning.

I seem to have washed up here like a soggy yellow feather in a storm.

Huh?

I do have this funny knack for winding up in strange places.

Uh, cool...

Oh, right! Care to shop? I've got the goods! Choco-boco-ching!

Chocolatte is acting as a merchant in this game as well. Her stock will update over the course of the game with new and better items. At the moment she just has an assortment of basic healing/revival items, status curatives, and status inflicting items.

Whoa, slow down! What kind of operation is this?

It's called a shop, dear. You're in luck! I find all kinds of stuff as I bounce from point A to point Q. I'm your choco-connection!

That's enough of that for now. I don't need to buy anything from her at the moment (I can't exactly afford it anyway, given the lack of battles).

Heading back to Plaza 99 will trigger another cutscene where something yanks Tama off of Lann's head by the tail.

Ow!

You know when you awakened, you should've woke me up too. I don't remember raising you to be such a selfish selfer-poop.

Well, I don't remember you the-raising me at all!

Who's this?

Oh, hi. I'm just your adorable local wind pixie, aka Serafie. My hobbies include gossipmongering and, uh, let's see... Oh, I'm good at hoarding things. Yup.

Serafie is voiced by Nancy Sullivan in English, Eri Kitamura in Japanese. Serafie also has a very lazy/dreary tone of voice, kind of like Daria. If that reference is lost on you then look it up. Google is right there.

Hoarding?

Hoarding. Why do you think I'm here? You must have tons of prismariums. More than you can handle, right?

Well... we're still working on it.

Yeah, they are kind of bulky.

Well, who's got you covered? This pixie right here. Enna Kros made me a special Prism Case that lets me keep all your prismariums safe. Just plonk the ones you don't need in and yoink the ones you do need out.

Oh... kay.

I'm not sure I caught every single word, but I guess... "I Agree"?

Oh yeah. This prismarium belongs to one of my tribe. Treat it with the same boundless love and affection you feel for me.

Oh... kay.

Serafie's kind of "special" the-case.

There's a whole lot of "special cases" present in this scene, Tama.

This is where you store your excess Mirages, and also transform them (which we won't be seeing for a while yet). Originally you could only carry 10 Mirages around with you, but the Maxima add-on upgraded this to 12.

We also get a "Seraphone" item.

There are enough save points and gates laying around that you shouldn't have to use these things very often. Handy to have just in case, but not exactly something you should sweat not having.

Then we get the sylph prismarium, which gives us a Sylph.

Just a heads up, you can see the stat growth ratings for the Mirages as well. This will give you an idea of how they are going to shape up.

Alright, time to resume our journey across the plaza so we can get back to Grymoire.

-Sylver Park-

You mean you're the-leaving us?

Yes. You handle things now.

Oh! Okay, I the-will!

It's cool. I'll lock this place down tighter than a malboro's bottle of mouthwash. That's a Serafie guarantee.

Huh? B-but where are you going now?

Oh, well... Somewhere else, of course.

Yeah, that's not exactly very helpful. Look, we really need to ask you so many things!

*Tama and Serafie are bickering and fighting in the background during this scene*

Everything? But you've barely done anything.

Besides, every world has its own rules. Like water dousing fire, and light banishing darkness.

Uhh, I think that's just called "science"?

Well, I design mine to be so completely unbreakable that even I can't undo them.

Undo what?

The rules.

Ugh... You're bad at explaining.

You're saying you can't help because that violates the rules of the world or something?

Exactly.

But why is that? I mean, come on. Just who do you think you are?

Me? Oh, well...

And with that incredibly lofty claim, Enna Kros disappears into sparkles and a flash of light.

She's... gone.

Dude.

I guess we can't necessarily rule it out. But for somebody calling the cosmic shots... she seems kind of sub-benevolent.

Well, that's Enna Kros for you, so get used to it.

So... she really is god?

Beats me. Enna Kros is Enna Kros, wouldn't you say?

Pretty the-much.

Uh, thanks for clearing it up.

The game gives us a notice that we can fast-forward or skip scenes/conversations. If you get a little overzealous and end up missing something important, you can check out the Adventure Log in the menu. The Adventure Log will give you a recap of the story scenes that have played out in case you're lost or have been away from the game for a while.

We're also given the option to save. After that, we can approach the gate to go back to Grymoire or access the Prism Case. The blue gem with a ring around it to the left is a save point, which you could probably guess just from looking at it.

Selecting Travel at the Gate will bring up the map of Grymoire. You can travel to Dungeons/Fields, Regions, and Towns. Wellspring Woods is our only option at the moment, so let's go back there and I can wrap this tutorial-filled update.

After retreading old ground for a few steps, we get a random battle with this little guy. The game gives us a brief tutorial card telling us about speeding up battles (which I mentioned before), and that you can select targets with the Left and Right D-Pad.

One basic physical attack is enough to get a Prismtunity on the Mu. Mu's are reoccurring monsters that first started appearing in Final Fantasy VI. They don't make an appearance in VIII, X, XI, XIII (although they do appear in XIII-2), XIV or XV.

Oh, uh... yeah! I want names!

Those little mini-conversations that happen while running around will pick back up after a battle or treasure pick-up or menu screen, so you don't miss out on them.

When we get back to the Murkrift from before, Reynn stops Lann from making the same mistake twice.

Now that you've fought that thing the-once, you can see all its information. And if you the-happen to know some Libra magic, you can peep at its data before you even jump in! Very good to keep in the-mind.

Got it.

Yup! Very good thing to keep in the-mind, Lann.

Uh, why are you repeating it? And just for my sake?

So yeah, we won't be back for this guy for quite some time. I will definitely be back for him though, since he rules (assuming I remember).

Time to end this update with something a little flashy. It's time for a late title-card/intro cutscene!

Don't read this part! Just watch the opening for yourself! It's cool!

Moving beyond the Murkrift will give the option to travel to "Bridge Overlook", which will trigger this cutscene as soon as you go there.

It repeats some of the opening cutscenes, but overlays the directorial credits over them and the opening theme playing.

Once it gets to the Gate scene, things get all anime.

There are a few shots of what we can easily assume are the antagonists.

Then there's a sweet battle scene.

Oh, hey Ultima Weapon! Good to see you still getting work after all these years.

Yay! Actual Final Fantasy peoples! I mean, ones that matter anyway.

Welcome to World of Final Fantasy! ...Again!

Update 2 Highlights (Mirage Capture, Chocolatte Intro, Serafie Intro)

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 4, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There is something off-putting about the faces in this game. Something about the noses and mouths. I don't remember KH being this bad, although I only really played the PS2 ones.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

We also get a little stat sheet on our new party member. Chocochick is the little hatchling form of the staple giant chicken creatures from Final Fantasy known as Chocobos. Chocochicks technically first appeared in Final Fantasy XIII. One of the main characters, Sazh Katzroy, has a baby Chocobo that hides out in his big afro. That Chocochick didn't have a little eggshell helmet though, making it vastly inferior to our new friend.

:goonsay: Technically, they first appeared at the end of Final Fantasy V, when Koko laid three eggs that hatched into chocobo chicks. Their first US appearance was in Final Fantasy VII, and it's where you get the Contain Materia in Mideel. They next appeared under the name of Chickobo in Final Fantasy VIII, along with Boko. Final Fantasy IX had a chocbo egg that was watched over by mages in the Black Mage Village, and when it hatched, they named the baby chocobo Bobby Corwen. Finally, Final Fantasy XI had them as part of a mini game.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

There is something off-putting about the faces in this game. Something about the noses and mouths. I don't remember KH being this bad, although I only really played the PS2 ones.

Do you mean in-game models or the head portraits? Because some of the head icons are from concept art since I couldn't find any good Jiant form sprites.

Kheldarn posted:

:goonsay: Technically, they first appeared at the end of Final Fantasy V, when Koko laid three eggs that hatched into chocobo chicks. Their first US appearance was in Final Fantasy VII, and it's where you get the Contain Materia in Mideel. They next appeared under the name of Chickobo in Final Fantasy VIII, along with Boko. Final Fantasy IX had a chocbo egg that was watched over by mages in the Black Mage Village, and when it hatched, they named the baby chocobo Bobby Corwen. Finally, Final Fantasy XI had them as part of a mini game.

That's right, seems I forgot about that in VII. I just remembered that as a regular sized Chocobo.

Didn't finish IX and didn't get to play XI, so I wouldn't know about those appearences. Chickobo had the same thing as in VII, where I remembered it as a smaller Chocobo but not like a tiny little hatchling. I'll admit to flat out not remembering that scene in FFV.

I'll update with credit to you when I get the chance. I'm a major Final Fantasy fan, but I'm not a walking encyclopedia, so if I mess up details then go ahead and correct me.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 11, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

Do you mean in-game models or the head portraits? Because some of the head icons are from concept art since I couldn't find any good Jiant form sprites.
The in-game models. There's a definite Uncanny Valley feeling there; something's just not right.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
...why is stacking the Pokem...I mean, Mirages...on your head a core game mechanic? :psyduck:

This game sure is going places.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I may not like the full grown appearances in this game, but the chibi forms are absolutely adorable. I also like the way this game has more capture requirements than just "get their HP low". It actually makes capturing monsters a lot more interesting, and can even occasionally give you a way to get through a battle too tough for you to actually beat. Most of the other stuff is kinda... OK? Like, stacking can be interesting in trying to create good combinations, but at the same time it'd be nice if going in with separate units was actually practical, as you wind up with all of these options on two units, because if you split up you'd get creamed. I will give them points for originality though, and it's not like the mechanic is actively bad like some other things the series has tried out. It's more of a mixed bag.

But the best part of this game is most definitely the monster descriptions. The writers were having way too much fun with those.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Chocolatte works well in these games because unlike FFXIII, WoFF doesn't even bother to try and hide how silly it is.

Also Lann does have some clever things to say. He's kinda like Fighter from 8-bit theater. Really dumb about most things, really smart about others. He probably makes a good cuppa joe.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is that the same Tose that made those lovely/bad PS ports? Why do they still exist?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Edvarius posted:

But the best part of this game is most definitely the monster descriptions. The writers were having way too much fun with those.

The rest of this game is mediocre (IMO) but whoever wrote those needs a loving raise.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also Lann does have some clever things to say. He's kinda like Fighter from 8-bit theater. Really dumb about most things, really smart about others. He probably makes a good cuppa joe.

The single biggest Smart Fighter moment to me was always blocking the ground.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I've been conflicted about getting this game, by the looks of it I would love the pokemon-with-ff-characters and battle system, but hate the chibi look and the plot so far seems kind of monkey cheese too. Glad someone's lping it instead. :cheers:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I'll have to switch over to Japanese for a short bit later on and see if Tama has some kind of tic there as well. I mean, I assume it will be there since this is a translation, but sometimes localization teams do take strange liberties.

I'm guilty of verbal tics myself. Nothing as annoying as Tama, but I have a bad habit of filling pauses in my speech with 'uhh', among other things. I really have to focus to stop myself from doing it during things like presentations or interviews.

Vauron posted:

Speaking as someone who works in a fast food coffee location, it is excessive but not the worst I've seen. Some people want more than half the cup filled with sugar and cream, and I know at least once we received an order that didn't even fit in the cup, even before any coffee was added. Still less weird or troublesome as the old lady who ordered 14 shots of decaff espresso through the drive-through, though.

People depress me.

Zurai posted:

The Xenogears reference is post-game material, just so no one gets their hopes up that we'll see it soon. WoFF is actually fairly long for as cutesy and straightforward as it makes itself seem.

(Psycho Knight, I personally wouldn't consider that a spoiler but if you'd prefer I removed it, just let me know)

No, just saying that there's a minor shout out isn't a spoiler. It's a small reference that we won't get to until post game.

Like you said, it's best to keep people's expectations grounded. Square does make some little references to other games, but WoFF is primarily a celebration of the mainline Final Fantasy titles, so nobody should be holding out hope of seeing Chrono pop up or monsters from Dragon Quest.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is that the same Tose that made those lovely/bad PS ports? Why do they still exist?

Tose has definitely had some fumbles in their 40 year history, but they are also responsible for/involved in a LOT of games (supposedly 1,000+). You've likely only seen their bad moments due to the fact that they have something of a "behind the scenes" creed of not attaching their names to games they develop or help with, to the point where it's actually really difficult to find out if they did have anything to do with a game or not.

For instance, they've developed or been involved with Star Ocean: First Departure and Second Story, Thousand Arms, Resident Evil: Revelations, and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters. Supposedly they worked on Zelda: Breath of the Wild as well.

They are a weird company, but it has apparently been working out well for them. They might not get any credit for their work, but they are trucking along just fine in terms of livelihood.

VolticSurge posted:

The rest of this game is mediocre (IMO) but whoever wrote those needs a loving raise.

The monster descriptions are lovely in this game. I'll be doing my best to capture every single one just so we can read through them. Someone had a lot of fun with their job when it came to those.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 11, 2019

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Careful about those descriptions. Some of them have spoilers for this game in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
The chibi versions of the characters look like Funko Pops.