Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has any comedy ever been considered "prestige" television?

The Good Place, Atlanta, Barry, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Louie, Master of None, maybe Parks & Recreation and 30 Rock. All award-winning critical darlings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMpRJwP5y9Q

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SNL isn't a comedy either

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Good Place, Atlanta, Barry, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Louie, Master of None, maybe Parks & Recreation and 30 Rock. All award-winning critical darlings.

Yeah I think Louie and Atlanta are good examples. Maisel feels closer to a breezy drama to me. Like Gilmore Girls.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNNRGLDN/status/1083223155173404672

Can't argue with math folks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

My friend and I are watching it for the first time. Just, like, really slowly. (It's taken us two years to get through two seasons!)

I really like it, and I think he does too, we're just both got so many other things happening haha.

But something we both agree on, is that -- whatever else the show did that everyone copied -- it's actually really funny, and basically nobody copied that part. (How many jokes an episode in Ray Donovan? Hell, how many jokes per season?) Some episodes it's more of a comedy than anything else, and no one ever talks about it.

I know Mitch Hurwitz said the Sopranos was one of the influences on Arrested Development.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okxXf9OcBRI

I had no idea that Matt Berry was going to be in this but he's loving perfect for the premise.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Failson posted:

Anyone else stuck watching Masked Singer? It is bad.

If you're so inclined and can speak korean or find subs, the Korean version of the show is supposed to be better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Arrested Development was 100% considered a prestige comedy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Does anyone watch "You"? It's kind of an interesting show. quiet creepy, but also kinda cheesy. The main character is super full of himself.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does anyone watch "You"? It's kind of an interesting show. quiet creepy, but also kinda cheesy. The main character is super full of himself.

It's on my list. I have a love/hate relationship with Penn Badgley, but I think he can pull off this role so I'm intrigued.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmyleg posted:

Arrested Development was 100% considered a prestige comedy.

I agree with this. Amazon also did a few series of "prestige TV comedies". They just weren't very good IMO. Except Patriot. That's a good show.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah dude reminds me of Dennis Reynolds from Always Sunny. it's a fun show, i put it #10 for 2018, it's good enough at action/cliffhangers to keep you hooked, while also creeped out by the guys predator rear end. but it also can be disarmingly funny at times.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Failson posted:

Anyone else stuck watching Masked Singer? It is bad.

I haven’t watched last night’s yet, but the first episode was fun?

No idea how they will keep this up for more than 4 eps, but the unicorn is totally Caitlyn Jenner.

My wife is convinced the deer is Payton Manning, but that seems like. Big stretch to me.

Also, I’m pretty sure Nick Canon is now older than Dave Chappelle, when Dave was making fun of him, just to keep this ~old~ meme going...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How has everyone missed Barry in the prestige comedy list?

You could even argue for Patriot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bull3964 posted:

How has everyone missed Barry in the prestige comedy list?

You could even argue for Patriot.

Barry was not a comedy. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Barry and Patriot are very similar and I love them both

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That show where Jim Carrey plays a depressed Mr. Rogers also gave me Patriot vibes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

After ignoring it for ages, I have to say that Chicago PD is really pretty good. I don't mind Chicago Med, either, but Chicago Fire has completely left me cold.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So I decided to finally start Killing Eve last night, and may or may not have powered through 6 episodes in one sitting. Finishing up the last two right now. This is excellent, but I'm glad I waited to watch it. If I'd done it when I had a bunch of people suggesting it to me in the worst possible way, I probably would have been mildly annoyed and not been able to really watch it without distraction.

Still salty Sandra Oh won the Globe over Keri Russell, though. If anybody from Killing Eve was going to rob her I'd rather it have been Jodie Comer. I'm shook she didn't get any big nominations for the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

So I decided to finally start Killing Eve last night

yasssssss it's the best

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

So I decided to finally start Killing Eve last night, and may or may not have powered through 6 episodes in one sitting. Finishing up the last two right now. This is excellent, but I'm glad I waited to watch it. If I'd done it when I had a bunch of people suggesting it to me in the worst possible way, I probably would have been mildly annoyed and not been able to really watch it without distraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0qC9qgWS8c
CRASH, BOOM, BANG

EDIT: Killing Eve just has such incomprehensible amounts of energy to it. It's probably the best paced show hands downs I've watched since Spartacus finished up.

EDIT2: Jesus this loving album they found for the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igu0GCpKVnc

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 10, 2019

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah dude reminds me of Dennis Reynolds from Always Sunny. it's a fun show, i put it #10 for 2018, it's good enough at action/cliffhangers to keep you hooked, while also creeped out by the guys predator rear end. but it also can be disarmingly funny at times.
It's weird how much he reminds me of Dennis. I guess that would happen if Dennis would actually care about someone.

Am I weird to think that it kinda feels like a dark comedy? Things are a bit convoluted. Maybe I'm dangerously desensitized to creepy weirdos.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Still salty Sandra Oh won the Globe over Keri Russell, though. If anybody from Killing Eve was going to rob her I'd rather it have been Jodie Comer. I'm shook she didn't get any big nominations for the show.

It was cool watching my parents come around on it. We watched it over the holidays and the first couple, I could tell they were kind of wary of it, given the themes and violence and such. Also being old, anything with accents is gonna be dicey but Oh and Comer are so loving charming in their respective roles that by the end they were in full "do you wanna watch another one?" mode

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: Killing Eve just has such incomprehensible amounts of energy to it. It's probably the best paced show hands downs I've watched since Spartacus finished up.

:yeah:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

After ignoring it for ages, I have to say that Chicago PD is really pretty good. I don't mind Chicago Med, either, but Chicago Fire has completely left me cold.

the episode of Chicago Med I watched last night featured an incel and an event that i described as "uncomfortably close" to an actual incident that happened late last year at a real Chicago hospital where a man shot up a bunch of people because his ex worked there.

it was all very SVU-esque, which makes sense given the phallic lupine connection.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1083468523966476289

Oh man this looks so good. It's from the creator of Nightcrawler (Not Len Wein) about a bunch of pretentious art snobs who find a trove of incredible art in a dead recluse's apartment and try to get rich off of it but the art comes to life and start killing people

Nightcrawler was loving sick and Gyllenhal was so good in it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That looks rad as gently caress. And Zawe Ashton's in it! I've loved her ever since Fresh Meat.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jake Gyllenhal going crazy is always the best Jake Gyllenhal.

EDIT: It's me, I'm the guy that liked Source Code.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 10, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's weird how much he reminds me of Dennis. I guess that would happen if Dennis would actually care about someone.

Am I weird to think that it kinda feels like a dark comedy? Things are a bit convoluted. Maybe I'm dangerously desensitized to creepy weirdos.
There was a point in episode 6 where it suddenly hit me, "This isn't just surprisingly funny, it's basically a black comedy! Wow this rules!" But then i felt like the humor receded a bit from that point so I'm not sure if I'd categorize it that way primarily, but it absolutely does have elements of it

Glad someone else gets my Dennis comparison! Penn Badgley himself reminds me of a young Glen Howerton maybe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MiddleOne posted:

I thought it was pretty fun too. Shame that Duncan Jones never really hit the peaks of Moon again, but taking on Warcraft was just such a disappointment.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Count me as another person who enjoyed Source Code.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Source code is totally okay

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ0KNVU2fV0
:yeshaha:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jan 18th gently caress yesssss :f5:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Did Killing Eve have a thread when it was airing?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne posted:

Jake Gyllenhal going crazy is always the best Jake Gyllenhal.

Jaky Gyllenhal rules, he's like the actor we all thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was going to become before he got high on own supply and became the sensitive chill bro creator nice guy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
And now I finished "You" in one sitting!
To be fair, I was on a long train ride and didn't have a lot of better things to do.

Its certainly something else. I think I need to digest this before I could tell if I actually liked it, or if it was just weirdly immersive.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

And now I finished "You" in one sitting!
To be fair, I was on a long train ride and didn't have a lot of better things to do.

Its certainly something else. I think I need to digest this before I could tell if I actually liked it, or if it was just weirdly immersive.

The thing I liked most about You is how it's so oddly comical and surreal at times. The guy is like a savant murderer with what he gets away with. I literally spit my drink during the shopping list scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

The thing I liked most about You is how it's so oddly comical and surreal at times. The guy is like a savant murderer with what he gets away with. I literally spit my drink during the shopping list scene.

I did like the weird dynamic with Peach.
Episode 6 spoiler: They are both controlling monsters, but it's totally different. She's a manipulative woman who tries to keep Becks down to get a sense of control. But he's the exact opposite. He wants to elevate her and improve her life in a way which might be interpreted as verging close to the edge of obsessiveness.
Then he almost got caught because he forgot his piss jar.

Actually, yes. I think I like this show as a brutal deconstruction of a romantic comedy. In essence, it only takes the cheesy tropes from romcoms and takes them up a notch and follows the logical progression.
Honestly, many romantic movies are the stories of creepy fucks who do socially unacceptable things to fulfill their obsession. The framing here is is just a bit more sincere.