Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
CPig how do you feel about SUVs, man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GeneX posted:

she's very peramean

peramean
peramedian
peramode

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Snooze Cruise posted:

CPig how do you feel about SUVs, man?

I don't care about them.

Vehicles are just there to get me from one place to another. I don't care what it is or how it looks as long as it works and is cheap.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Do you ever wonder?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Makes you think

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I don't care about them.

Vehicles are just there to get me from one place to another. I don't care what it is or how it looks as long as it works and is cheap.

-CPig, Lime scooter enthusiast

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Can we turbo someone so we can punish everyone for their peramemes

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

i put in a lot of effort before this game ever started so i think im good until day 2

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
1. The only way to burn through the YESs is to use the nos. Scum may also decide to save their YESs for something better (tbh i agree this is pretty amazingly good for scum though so we should try and kill it. It's a free extra nightkill as long as they're willing to spam scumchat. ) On the other hand if scum have no other reason to pick a kill they'll absolutely kill people with YESs left to use, and scum won't use their pera NOs at all or only when it doesn't matter.

2. How about this: we look at the new rules and decide if they're bad for town. If it is, we randomly pick a player to use their NO. It doesn't really help with the YESs being used in private to counter them but at least we potentially get to use some scum NOs to exhaust the YES pool - what do people think?

3. The other option is that as long as we have 11 people with NOs left, we can definitely block any given rule by posting NO 10 more times during the same day and guarantee that rule won't happen. We have basically one go at this because people with nos left will probably die first. Anything think this is a good rule to definitely block? I'd be willing.

Bifauxnen posted:

##pera No!

and ##vote Kashuno for making such a show of blowing his wad before he even had any idea what she would throw at us. sure, write it all off as just having fun, yeah right scumbag

The problem is that he must have actually had the extra NOs or else he was breaking the rules:

Natural 20 posted:

General Mafia Rules (That have been stolen from Somberero)

9. Don't fake day actions.

and I don't really see having more NOs as a scum ability right?

TBH if I was scum I'd want to use my NO early so i have an excuse for not using it later and also not getting nightkilled. So all other things being equal, while I agree totally that this rule needs to be blocked if we can,

##vote Bifauxnen

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lmao holy poo poo I faked day actions and didn’t get killed I didn’t even see the rules no mods no masters

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

The game had not started, so i don't think faking day actions mattered

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

do we get notified if scum use a PERa yes or do we just have to guess?

Azurelana
Nov 6, 2018

Too cute to function

Soaring Kestrel posted:

right, but we have thirteen more pera no's

that's a lot of rules that we could nix if we are allowed to go back and forth

like theoretically we could get away with no rules until day, what, 7?

i get what you're saying if a pera yes hard counters a pera no but i don't think you can accurately say that until you get your question answered, which is why i'm confused

I don't think this is right?

All of us got given a pera no, but presumably if there are 23 of us and 23 pera nos then scum must have at least some of the pera nos right?

If there are 5 or 6 scum in the game then we only have an excess of 7 or 8 nos to the yes charges.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CapitalistPig posted:

I don't care about them.

i don't like them because they are basically design to kill pedestrians did u know that the pedistrain death toll is going up not because of hearsay where people say its cause of cell phones but its actually the booming popularity of suvs and if you get hit by a suv you are pretty much just dead

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Pre-game fake day actioning is in the

*SLAMS FIST*

Mafia Constitution!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everyone stop trying to math out the mechanics it’s a gimmick game there is poo poo going on

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Azurelana posted:

I don't think this is right?

All of us got given a pera no, but presumably if there are 23 of us and 23 pera nos then scum must have at least some of the pera nos right?

If there are 5 or 6 scum in the game then we only have an excess of 7 or 8 nos to the yes charges.

I think you're right, probably:

Natural 20 posted:

I’ve given every player a charge

With 23 of you that should be more than enough to get through this game.

Good luck, I’m counting on all of you.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Some questions have arisen about "pera yes" and "no" interactions:

A "pera yes" declaration may be re-countered by a subsequent "pera no" declaration.

A "pera yes" must be input with meaningful time for town to respond to it. Meaningful time is a sportsmanlike 5 minutes, a hard rule at 1 minute.

If the mods are unable for whatever reason to declare a "pera yes" before the deadline in thread then the "pera yes" is not used.

This will be in the OP for future reference.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

xiw posted:

1. The only way to burn through the YESs is to use the nos. Scum may also decide to save their YESs for something better (tbh i agree this is pretty amazingly good for scum though so we should try and kill it. It's a free extra nightkill as long as they're willing to spam scumchat. ) On the other hand if scum have no other reason to pick a kill they'll absolutely kill people with YESs left to use, and scum won't use their pera NOs at all or only when it doesn't matter.

2. How about this: we look at the new rules and decide if they're bad for town. If it is, we randomly pick a player to use their NO. It doesn't really help with the YESs being used in private to counter them but at least we potentially get to use some scum NOs to exhaust the YES pool - what do people think?

3. The other option is that as long as we have 11 people with NOs left, we can definitely block any given rule by posting NO 10 more times during the same day and guarantee that rule won't happen. We have basically one go at this because people with nos left will probably die first. Anything think this is a good rule to definitely block? I'd be willing.

The problem is that he must have actually had the extra NOs or else he was breaking the rules:

and I don't really see having more NOs as a scum ability right?

TBH if I was scum I'd want to use my NO early so i have an excuse for not using it later and also not getting nightkilled. So all other things being equal, while I agree totally that this rule needs to be blocked if we can,

##vote Bifauxnen

Alternatively,

##vote xiw

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Someone predict how long the game will last so we can exhaust our Pera no's effectively and give us good targets in the scums that never used theirs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its a good thing i been here to ask these v imporant questios

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Natural 20 posted:

A "pera yes" declaration may be re-countered by a subsequent "pera no" declaration.

A "pera yes" must be input with meaningful time for town to respond to it. Meaningful time is a sportsmanlike 5 minutes, a hard rule at 1 minute.

If the mods are unable for whatever reason to declare a "pera yes" before the deadline in thread then the "pera yes" is not used.

Oh, so it’s a “Nat20/pera comes in thread and posts that a yes has been received” thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

Lame

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Wait we are gonna know when scum use a Pera yes?

I thought it was gonna be hidden so we'd potentially over Pera no things.

This is great.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

and if it turns out we don't know when they're countered by YESs then it's even worse

quote:

I’ve given every player a charge of ##pera No! You may use this as an action in thread and if you do it’ll cancel whatever insane rule she comes up with at the beginning of that phase, be it day or night.

Also I reread this and I have no idea how the timing works for this with phases - it reads like it affects the future rule, not the one that's already been announced? Maybe we have to preemptively just say 'no' before the rule comes out? Ugh.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Wait we are gonna know when scum use a Pera yes?

I thought it was gonna be hidden so we'd potentially over Pera no things.

This is great.

Nah it actually sucks

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Okay never mind that's fine, I was worried about a secret YES following up Bif's NO.

##unvote

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Nah it actually sucks

If you're scum it sucks.

Kind of agree that it lessens the impact of the mechanic.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ok tbf Kash is probably just in FF5 doompocalypse mode as awful town

xiw however, is concern trolling, acknowledging the correctness of my.actions while still trying to frame me for them, and claim the "look how helpful townie I'm being" mantle for himself.

as if.

##vote xiw

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it will not lessen the impact once we know the mafia has a rule that as a permament pera yes if pm selfies of themself to pera or something stupid like that

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Snooze Cruise posted:

it will not lessen the impact once we know the mafia has a rule that as a permament pera yes if pm selfies of themself to pera or something stupid like that

No because then scum have 5 days and 5 nights of guaranteed Pera fuckery

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I don't care about them.

-CPig, Lime scooter enthusiast

In Florida "works" means it is enclosed and has ac, try again.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CapitalistPig posted:

In Florida "works" means it is enclosed and has ac, try again.

I was in Florida in like February and it was hell.

I was there over a summer more than a decade ago, and it was the surface of the sun.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Snooze Cruise posted:

i don't like them because they are basically design to kill pedestrians did u know that the pedistrain death toll is going up not because of hearsay where people say its cause of cell phones but its actually the booming popularity of suvs and if you get hit by a suv you are pretty much just dead

really makes you think.

Azurelana
Nov 6, 2018

Too cute to function
Ah okay.

I think that makes things easier to predict?

The last game I played had 20 people and 5 scum as I recall?

So let's say 23 gives 6 scum.

That means there's 17 town nos.

Which means if we counter every rule then we run out of our excess on the night of day 4?

The game seems to turn the screws more later on so wouldn't it not be in our best interests to use up our entire excess so quickly?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hi i skipped all of the 200 posts how is it going

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im the best role btw

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Azurelana posted:

Ah okay.

I think that makes things easier to predict?

The last game I played had 20 people and 5 scum as I recall?

So let's say 23 gives 6 scum.

That means there's 17 town nos.

Which means if we counter every rule then we run out of our excess on the night of day 4?

The game seems to turn the screws more later on so wouldn't it not be in our best interests to use up our entire excess so quickly?

Anything pro-scum should probably be no'd because scum is gonna be killing us off too

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

flerp posted:

hi i skipped all of the 200 posts how is it going

Am I gonna make it through the night flerp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i must consult the oracle