Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm imagining doing online stranger missions in a private server and thinking how little payoff there is for taking on the AI enemies in them.

I just want to play cowboys with my friends and hunt rabbits and look at birds and see if we can make our horses kiss each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
can't wait for these private servers to roll out and all the new money making methods being locked behind open servers. Much like gta online side businesses and car stealing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zooted heh posted:

can't wait for these private servers to roll out and all the new money making methods being locked behind open servers. Much like gta online side businesses and car stealing.

I’d be curious to know what % of players cheese the system to lag out and play solo in public servers, and if it’s big enough for r* to say “I guess people want to do that” and just make it a feature

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd prefer private servers just cause I wanna go fishin' with my friend.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish they'd turn up the spawn rate on things like bandit ambushes and hideouts, because those are fun surprises and I want to do them more often.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly all I want right now is invite only servers so my friends and I can just relax in this really pretty word and hunt and fish and do the odd stranger job. New content would be nice (provided it's not like GTA Online where the majority is PvP focused), but we burned out on getting griefed non stop really loving fast.

If you're playing with two or more friends, take turns looking out for each other and checking the map. If you see dots making a beeline for you, fire a warning shot into the air. All of you should, it will give them messages saying that these players may attack if approached. A lot of times, they'll turn around because they were just trying to sneak up on somebody. If they keep coming, hunker down, and fire your weapons at them. Maybe have the posse leader split off to another session to see if it's chill.

And you probably are already, but I would suggest always getting posse'd up. Friendly fire disabled, your dots are blue, it's good.

Once r* introduce the parley changes and proximity-based player blips, it should be more chill

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
also:

HORMELCHILI posted:

Youre a loving Bitch-rear end Pussy! Play another game or loving get good or stick to single player you loving Coward

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

AxeManiac posted:

I just want to play cowboys with my friends and hunt rabbits and look at birds and see if we can make our horses kiss each other.

marshmallow creep posted:

I wish they'd turn up the spawn rate on things like bandit ambushes and hideouts, because those are fun surprises and I want to do them more often.

Agreed on both counts.

Hugh Malone posted:

If you're playing with two or more friends, take turns looking out for each other and checking the map. If you see dots making a beeline for you, fire a warning shot into the air. All of you should, it will give them messages saying that these players may attack if approached. A lot of times, they'll turn around because they were just trying to sneak up on somebody. If they keep coming, hunker down, and fire your weapons at them. Maybe have the posse leader split off to another session to see if it's chill.

And you probably are already, but I would suggest always getting posse'd up. Friendly fire disabled, your dots are blue, it's good.

Once r* introduce the parley changes and proximity-based player blips, it should be more chill

Oh we posse up, but it still happens to us fairly often. The best was last week where the same bunch followed us across five different servers. Truly riveting gameplay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Capn Beeb posted:

Agreed on both counts.

Oh we posse up, but it still happens to us fairly often. The best was last week where the same bunch followed us across five different servers. Truly riveting gameplay.

How is that even possible? Did they friend someone in your posse so they could join them? Or did they just keep hopping until they saw you. That's dedication.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Capn Beeb posted:

The best was last week where the same bunch followed us across five different servers. Truly riveting gameplay.

that's weird, one of your friends was probably friends with one of them, and joining your servers over and over lol

do y'all ever try and give them any smoke at all? it's funny how often so-called try hards actually don't try very hard

this one guy was running around St. Denis all lvl99 and ability carded up, murderknifing everyone. it was fun trying to get him, even though we got stabbed a lot, like some impromptu hunt-the-beast mode mini-game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still haven't finished my first playthrough, though I suspect I'm at the last mission of the epilogue (John just asked Abigail to marry him and they shared a blissfully happy moment so I assume poo poo is about to go south), so I was clearing up a few last outstanding things like the dinosaur bones/cigarette cards etc. While going through my wardrobe I spotted that I now have the Legend of the East outfit? I thought you only got that for 100% completion? Mine is still on something like 92%

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah I actually had a mildly interesting time today doing something similar. I was doing a rescue and this guy just came at me with a shotgun with slugs, taking us both out. This led us to having a few fire fights in Rhodes and I got pretty good at feeling out where he was going to go and how to take off his head with the Volcanic.

It gets the blood pumping to do those engagements, though; more so than doing story missions, certainly. When I'm playing to chill, PvP is not usually my thing.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
the only gripe I have with pvp is spawning the pubs right behind me, and being able to shoot while invincible for a moment upon respawning

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

marshmallow creep posted:

How is that even possible? Did they friend someone in your posse so they could join them? Or did they just keep hopping until they saw you. That's dedication.

Hugh Malone posted:

that's weird, one of your friends was probably friends with one of them, and joining your servers over and over lol

None of us were friends with them and we figured they just browsed recent players and joined our session. We shot back but it just got really tedious really fast. Would be nice if there was some reward for killing grifers instead of being punished for it cause uh oh here come the cops now. It was really lovely for my friends who are all still pretty low level and couldn't make any progress towards leveling up.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Capn Beeb posted:

we figured they just browsed recent players and joined our session

loving genius

thank you for the cool trick warning

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jerusalem posted:

I still haven't finished my first playthrough, though I suspect I'm at the last mission of the epilogue (John just asked Abigail to marry him and they shared a blissfully happy moment so I assume poo poo is about to go south), so I was clearing up a few last outstanding things like the dinosaur bones/cigarette cards etc. While going through my wardrobe I spotted that I now have the Legend of the East outfit? I thought you only got that for 100% completion? Mine is still on something like 92%

It’s for all challenges

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Butch Otter posted:

but they're lazy

should have worked through christmas

Edit: Rockstar are already under the microscope for a culture of crunch, so are probably taking it easy on their workers for now.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 11, 2019

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I don't think that post was serious

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
This game's controls have got to be some of the worst in modern gaming.

Game forces you to go through thousands of loving button presses and holds for the simplest poo poo, has different buttons for the same action in separate situations, and I constantly get hosed by the still incomprehensible "Aim" R2 prompt that has you shooting people as soon as you do press it. Hilariously, even now that I know it happens, when I try the usual L1 to equip the revolver it doesnt do it as long as the R2 prompt is up.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Kawabata posted:

This game's controls have got to be some of the worst in modern gaming.

Game forces you to go through thousands of loving button presses and holds for the simplest poo poo, has different buttons for the same action in separate situations, and I constantly get hosed by the still incomprehensible "Aim" R2 prompt that has you shooting people as soon as you do press it. Hilariously, even now that I know it happens, when I try the usual L1 to equip the revolver it doesnt do it as long as the R2 prompt is up.

It works if you juust tap it, and depressing it slowly actually let's you quick draw whenever you want. I think it's what you're supposed to do in situations where someone is holding a gun on you but I haven't made that connection in the moment yet

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can do it at any time, it just makes the most sense to do it when there's a dude aiming at you. Otherwise you are drawing and shooting at random poo poo.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You can do it at any time, it just makes the most sense to do it when there's a dude aiming at you. Otherwise you are drawing and shooting at random poo poo.

But it doesn't happen only when people are aiming at you, it happens in random different situations. Last time for example it happened to me in that mission where you have to free the dude tied to the bed in the firearm seller's basement. No one is pointing a gun at me there. I'd love to use L1 all the time but it's like sometimes it doesn't register. Or Arthur unequips it immediately for some reason. I don't know how you gently caress controls up so bad in such a big AAA game but here we are.

Oh and don't start me on the pure hell of endless wheel menus and submenus. Sometimes I just don't want to use items to spare me the hassle.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
R2 is basically just hip firing. If you tap it slowly, you go into deadeye mode to shoot what you want, but if you just hit it you quick draw and blast whatever.

The game forces you into the mode a time or two, but you can just be out in the world and decide to quick draw anytime you want. If you want to hit a specific spot or person, slowly push R2. If you just wanna blast poo poo, slam it down. It just makes way more sense to use that when you are being held at gunpoint instead of just plugging some random dude in town.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The game forces you into the mode a time or two, but you can just be out in the world and decide to quick draw anytime you want. If you want to hit a specific spot or person, slowly push R2. If you just wanna blast poo poo, slam it down. It just makes way more sense to use that when you are being held at gunpoint instead of just plugging some random dude in town.

I'll try that, thanks!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Finally finished the main game so I jumped into the online and I can see how it was the potential to be really great. Although I only have one IRL friend who plays it and I think he was pretty jack of it by the end of single player so I don't know how keen he'll be.

Played my first round of the new battle royale, completely out of my depth, and it's definitely an eerie experience to be stalked through the St Denis plantation with creepy music playing while the only two remaining players, who are in cahoots with each other for the XP, discuss their stalking of you over the chat.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I hope at some point in 2019 RDO gets purchasable residences and illicit businesses. Old rickety mountain cabins, upscale St. Denis apartments, moonshine operations, Guarma mercenary missions where you can smuggle rum or explosives, or do fort defense where you & your posse help the Guarmans fend off increasingly difficult, randomized attacks by Cuban NPCs. Not to mention bank, train, and industrial heists, etc.

And a real long shot: side activities like horseshoes, darts, or dominoes that you can't bet on, just win a decent chunk of XP.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It’s for all challenges

Well that makes more sense!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I swear a played a game mode really early on where the gameplay area would keep shrinking and the last person alive wins. Is that not what Battle Royale is? What's different about the thing they added?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I swear a played a game mode really early on where the gameplay area would keep shrinking and the last person alive wins. Is that not what Battle Royale is? What's different about the thing they added?

Gun Rush you scavenge for weapons in a 32 player game

Make It Count you are locked to one standard weapon in a 12 player game

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Dick Jones posted:

I hope at some point in 2019 RDO gets purchasable residences and illicit businesses. Old rickety mountain cabins, upscale St. Denis apartments, moonshine operations, Guarma mercenary missions where you can smuggle rum or explosives, or do fort defense where you & your posse help the Guarmans fend off increasingly difficult, randomized attacks by Cuban NPCs. Not to mention bank, train, and industrial heists, etc.

And a real long shot: side activities like horseshoes, darts, or dominoes that you can't bet on, just win a decent chunk of XP.

It will have none of these things. You're going to get sucked into this idea that RDO is a property that is perfectly set up for rich and immersive gameplay on par or eventually exceeding the single player experience. Disabuse yourself of this as soon as possible.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Tercio posted:

It will have none of these things. You're going to get sucked into this idea that RDO is a property that is perfectly set up for rich and immersive gameplay on par or eventually exceeding the single player experience. Disabuse yourself of this as soon as possible.

Of course its gonna add all of those things if you go by the GTAO model, they're just gonna cost you a $20 shark card or 100 hours of grinding apiece and they'll come out years apart

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Aren't you boys just so woke

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Zigmidge posted:

Aren't you boys just so woke

HEY THERE PARDNER

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dick Jones posted:

More missions where you kill strike breakers and pinkertons, please

Edit:

Missions where your gang runs guns to the workers

Beeb fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 11, 2019

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
MOAR TRAIN STUFF

all kinds :quagmire:

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Man that lead up to the Dutch&Micah confrontation before the big fight starts was something.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So how exactly does one reach the ocean from the port of Saint Denis? The geography of this game bothers me.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Of course a straight up regular black jacket isn’t available until the epilogue :mad:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

dublish posted:

So how exactly does one reach the ocean from the port of Saint Denis? The geography of this game bothers me.

Don’t all port cities lead to ocean :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dublish posted:

Very carefully.

I would imagine it's modeled after New Orleans, which has a bunch of really hosed up ways to reach the ocean.

Most of their shipping is done on the Mississippi. if you go on sattelite view you can see all kinds of big-rear end ships all up on it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 12, 2019