Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
today in apple leaks: we're just going to keep adding cameras to the iphone, why not? it works for android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if i can contribute to that in some way i will

i've been using goddamned VLC for music because itunes is that bad, and i am not gonna start command line poo poo for music

music on a hard drive in 2019, i know

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ah yes feature parity with huawei trash phones :hmmyes:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"three > two, that will give people a reason to upgrade! we'll dedicate five minutes of the keynote to some AR gimmick, how could people resist?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Finster Dexter posted:

lmbo

dehumanize and face to brand destruction

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

i thought battery time was removed because a previous bug that decimated battery life

The first gen Touch Bar MacBooks had a bad sensor or something and the batter remaining meter would vary wildly. Which is a trivial fix.

instead they just removed that feature

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
nokia 10 will have 5 cameras! what now?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I heard that motherfucker had like...30 goddamned dicks

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
nokia still exists?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
sure, the nokia brand still exists

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DELETE CASCADE posted:

nokia still exists?

i guess nokia sold its phone business to microsoft, microsoft sold it off and it became "hmd global", and is now licensing the nokia brand to make phones

i've got a nokia 7.1, it's nice and reasonably priced

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

SRQ posted:

we removed time remaining for no reason.

lmao, forgot about that one

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

in the next version of os x maybe apple will have the courage to remove time remaining information from all dialogs

"you don't need to know when this file upload is complete, just trust us"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
nokia still makes cell tower equipment as the original company too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

in the next version of os x maybe apple will have the courage to remove time remaining information from all dialogs

"you don't need to know when this file upload is complete, just trust us"

this is basically the direction they've gone with every other status indicator. is it still animating? then something's happening, just shut up and be patient.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Wheany posted:

I heard that motherfucker had like...30 goddamned dicks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i guess nokia sold its phone business to microsoft, microsoft sold it off and it became "hmd global", and is now licensing the nokia brand to make phones

i've got a nokia 7.1, it's nice and reasonably priced

hmd is also across the street from the nokia headquarters, in a building previously part of the nokia campus, so it is pretty "real"

the only substantial good thing about their phones is that they are all on android one, but otoh lollol if you buy an android phone not on android one (first of the lol's for buying an android phone at all of course)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember in OS X 10.9 or something where they dedicated part of the announcement to talking about how they redid the status dots on the dock into being likes and then turned off all the lines by default

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hmd is also across the street from the nokia headquarters, in a building previously part of the nokia campus, so it is pretty "real"

the only substantial good thing about their phones is that they are all on android one, but otoh lollol if you buy an android phone not on android one (first of the lol's for buying an android phone at all of course)

the throwback one they put out is a good phone for olds who dont want all that smart crap, only small buttons as the negative

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

apple's courage strikes again

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1082990164794925056

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

it's why new versions of their software have fewer features than the ones they're replacing (iphoto to photos, quicktime 7 to quicktime x)

oh hey, another example

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/01/09/no-nvidia-drivers-for-mojave/

quote:

Developers using Macs with NVIDIA graphics cards are reporting that after upgrading from 10.13 to 10.14 (Mojave) they are experiencing rendering regressions and slow performance.

Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. Unfortunately, NVIDIA currently cannot release a driver unless it is approved by Apple.

quote:

“Not allowing NVIDIA to put out drivers for OSX 10.14 hurts my business. We depend on NVIDIA drivers to keep our Macs flying through apps like Creative Cloud, Resolve and RED Workflows. We NEED these drivers to keep our pipelines from impacting our clients.”, said Jason.

macs are great if you only need to use onenote in your college lecture hall (edit: unless you get a crumb in your keyboard, lol) but they're not suitable for professional work

A Wheezy Steampunk fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 11, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

oh hey, another example

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/01/09/no-nvidia-drivers-for-mojave/

macs are great if you only need to use onenote in your college lecture hall but they're not suitable for professional work

why the gently caress did they upgrade off 10.13 without testing compatibility when its still supported

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was browsing on an iPad, got a message, switched over to reply, hit that stupid “back to safari” link by the clock and safari slid in from the right in some kind of tiny phone view. What the gently caress is going on.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

why the gently caress did they upgrade off 10.13 without testing compatibility when its still supported

Yeah and it's been a known issue with 10.14 for like 4 months. They must have new versions of their production software that requires updating to 10.14 or something? idk

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if the application updated to require 10.14 while 10.11+ are still seeing regular updates then they should be calling for their vendor's head but I'm p.sure this is because they didn't bother testing and just like Mojave fly without validating

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mojave? mo problems!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
man i remember when steve announced a major osx version release and was like "and you can upgrade to it without having to restart" and everyone was like whoa no loving way and that was a cool thing and then they never did that again so now i have to restart my mac like some kind of windows using chump when updating.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
didn't it take like 11 month for nvidia cards to work when 10.13 came out? its expected behaviour

also I think they are delaying the drives until after the 2019 mac pro comes out, otherwise the mac mini with a 2080ti would crush it in benchmarks
you just know the mac pro will be crippled with amd graphics

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

man i remember when steve announced a major osx version release and was like "and you can upgrade to it without having to restart" and everyone was like whoa no loving way and that was a cool thing and then they never did that again so now i have to restart my mac like some kind of windows using chump when updating.

i wouldn't trust "you don't have to reboot it!" for anything with less than a 6 figure support contract

it can gently caress all sorts of things up in linux for example

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Finster Dexter posted:

wah way is kind of a big deal right now

seems like a good idea

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

thinking about this a bit more: Apple is near the limits of the "raise prices to compensate for flagging unit sales growth" phase of the tech company cycle and is probably going to find that the only portions of the services market that will support their desired profit margins are those where they have complete lock-in.

won't be too awful long before the cost cutting phase kicks into gear and "lets eliminate the unnecessary redundancy in our dev teams by using Marzipan as much as possible on macOS" is going to be tempting Tim in a big way. mobile safari on the desktop here we come!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if the application updated to require 10.14 while 10.11+ are still seeing regular updates then they should be calling for their vendor's head but I'm p.sure this is because they didn't bother testing and just like Mojave fly without validating

Also kind of weird because the only Macs that can take nVidia PCIe GPU cards are the old cheesegrater Pros, and if you try to run the Mojave updater in either app format or USB key, the first thing that will happen on those machines is that the installer will fail you out if you don't have a Metal compatible GPU installed. The only Metal compatible GPU card that Apple will approve of on Mojave made by nVidia is the GTX 680.

How did they upgrade, they made one master and cloned it off to every Mac?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Also kind of weird because the only Macs that can take nVidia PCIe GPU cards are the old cheesegrater Pros, and if you try to run the Mojave updater in either app format or USB key, the first thing that will happen on those machines is that the installer will fail you out if you don't have a Metal compatible GPU installed. The only Metal compatible GPU card that Apple will approve of on Mojave made by nVidia is the GTX 680.

How did they upgrade, they made one master and cloned it off to every Mac?

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html

you can put any gpu you want in one of these and use it on a macbook pro

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

dunno what you're talking about since Mac Pros (the cheesegrater desktops) have no Thunderbolt

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I bet they're running Hackintoshes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they must be either using hackintoshes or eGPUs, i'm going with eGPUs

incidentally eGPUs work fine in windows, windows just sees a pcie bus and doesn't care

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

i wouldn't trust "you don't have to reboot it!" for anything with less than a 6 figure support contract

it can gently caress all sorts of things up in linux for example

lol i remember years ago on another forum there was a linux nerd who was all "heh, restarting your computer? such a winblows mentality. why would you ever want to restart? you should just fix what's broken, you've got all the tools at your disposal."

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Not restarting on Linux simply means the old version keeps running until the service/program is killed/relaunched. It works fine.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html

you can put any gpu you want in one of these and use it on a macbook pro

do these actually work? what about in boot camp

e:

hobbesmaster posted:

they must be either using hackintoshes or eGPUs, i'm going with eGPUs

incidentally eGPUs work fine in windows, windows just sees a pcie bus and doesn't care
nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i want to put the caveat in that it works fine in windows because windows doesn’t understand that it’s a removable device. bad things happen if you remove an external pcie enclosure while windows is running. well, by bad things I mean an immediate bsod

osx will see the thunderbolt enclosures as a removable device and requires special drivers to work.