Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

man i remember when steve announced a major osx version release and was like "and you can upgrade to it without having to restart" and everyone was like whoa no loving way and that was a cool thing and then they never did that again so now i have to restart my mac like some kind of windows using chump when updating.

lol that literally never happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
also, for a while there nvidia was making and shipping their own macOS drivers, but stopped last year for whatever reason.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

i want to put the caveat in that it works fine in windows because windows doesn’t understand that it’s a removable device. bad things happen if you remove an external pcie enclosure while windows is running. well, by bad things I mean an immediate bsod

osx will see the thunderbolt enclosures as a removable device and requires special drivers to work.

Windows absolutely does understand external eGPU enclosures are removable devices. Are you still on XP or something?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ctp/status/1083848174740004864

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

one weird trick: fill your Trash Can Pro with coffee grounds and watch your CPU/GPU efficiency rocket up to 1000%!!!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Binary Badger posted:

one weird trick: fill your Trash Can Pro with coffee grounds and watch your CPU/GPU efficiency rocket up to 1000%!!!

Fill your trash can Pro with literal feces and mail it to Jony Ive

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Fill your trash can Pro with literal feces and mail it to Jony Ive

don't give him any free design help ideas!!!!!!!@!@!!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
ios doesn't let you download large apps unless you're on wifi? what the gently caress lmao

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

man i remember when steve announced a major osx version release and was like "and you can upgrade to it without having to restart" and everyone was like whoa no loving way and that was a cool thing and then they never did that again so now i have to restart my mac like some kind of windows using chump when updating.

wtf are these imaginary keynotes people are posting

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i have this full size poster printed on heavy stock from macworld 96 (96?)

power computing gave them away on the last day

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
macworld 97 i won a $3000 motorola starmax

they shipped it two day. ups went on strike the next day. lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

"tap to click" on a trackpad is one of the worst ideas ever conceived

agreed

push to click on magic trackpad is godlike

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
power tower 4 lyfe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
maybe apple should reconsider licenseing clone manufacturers. I'm pretty sure I've got the fax number for UMAX somewhere around here.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Chris Knight posted:

power tower 4 lyfe

they had a BIG floor presence right at the entrance from with big screens and good hype people

POWER TOWER PROOOOOOOOOOOO TWO TWENTY FIIIIIVE

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm all for it if it means licensing MacOS to other less incompetent hardware vendors

lol can you even imagine the guy who made this?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rotor posted:

maybe apple should reconsider licenseing clone manufacturers. I'm pretty sure I've got the fax number for UMAX somewhere around here.

oh cool, rotors back, wb rotor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

oh cool, rotors back, wb rotor

hi thanks

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

macworld 97 i won a $3000 motorola starmax

they shipped it two day. ups went on strike the next day. lol

...did you ever receive it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
even arse technical is getting some kicks in on the shitshow that is the appletv remote

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Doc Block posted:

also, for a while there nvidia was making and shipping their own macOS drivers, but stopped last year for whatever reason.
these are the drivers at issue (nvidia web driver) in the cheesegrater/egpu/hackintosh use cases. they claim to have made the driver but that apple won’t approve it, or that they arent supporting cuda or something. in the meantime the old web driver works fine with high sierra and pascal in my hackintosh

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

I spent five minutes one night just trying to plug a Lightning cable into the IR output jack.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ive used the new apple tv remote for a couple of years without issue? maybe tehy're holding it wrong?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

in their defense, it is very easy to hold wrong.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
...almost like it's poorly designed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm definitely not one of the people arguing that it's not.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

a bit late to rag on it, I mean they should’ve said it was bad when it came out not this long after the fact

unless it’s only now become acceptable to call apple bad when it’s the case, which the last couple of years it’s often been

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shifty Pony posted:

thinking about this a bit more: Apple is near the limits of the "raise prices to compensate for flagging unit sales growth" phase of the tech company cycle and is probably going to find that the only portions of the services market that will support their desired profit margins are those where they have complete lock-in.

won't be too awful long before the cost cutting phase kicks into gear and "lets eliminate the unnecessary redundancy in our dev teams by using Marzipan as much as possible on macOS" is going to be tempting Tim in a big way. mobile safari on the desktop here we come!

Hoping Apple engineers are looking at the 200 billion dollar pile of cash, their unrealistic and increasingly stupid development schedules, and start overthrowing management.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Hoping Apple engineers are looking at the 200 billion dollar pile of cash, their unrealistic and increasingly stupid development schedules, and start overthrowing management.

same but all workers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

lol can you even imagine the guy who made this?

i used to work with a guy who sincerely thought apple hosed up by moving off of powerpc.

like, he was saying this in 2012

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the touch-sensitive atv remote is god-loving awful and it's why i have a roku instead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

git loving gud lmao

that article is a hilarious self own

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

does this apple product suffer from poor design? no, it is the customers who are wrong

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rotor posted:

the touch-sensitive atv remote is god-loving awful and it's why i have a roku instead
:shepface:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i don’t have any problems with the stock remote. now iphone app that doesn’t allow you to change tv volume :thunk:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:stare:

Goddamn, how long do you have to have been twating for to have a three-letter handle?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

rotor posted:

Why has no-one copied the headphone port in the remote idea, that always seemed amazing

Best remote = TiVo remote tho

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i used to work with a guy who sincerely thought apple hosed up by moving off of powerpc.

like, he was saying this in 2012

"No IBM throwing Apple the tablescraps of their server processor development program that were barely viable in a desktop and absolutely unusable for mobile was good because uh....

.... microsoft is evil."

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

reminder that the g5 was so bad for mobile that apple was considering dual-processor powerbook g4s in 2005.

reminder that this was also untenable and the last powerbook g4 at 1.67 ghz competed with early core duo systems at 2ghz+
it is the only case I can think of where the GPU (Radeon 9700) actually outperforms the dogshit CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

also every moron rear end in a top hat that insists on running an enormous noisy heat engine of a G5 actively and not just as a toy to mess with now and then in 2018 is expanding their carbon footprint for no reason and should be imprisoned.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 13, 2019