Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

Every NSMB game has looked and sounded like poo poo since day one. It's one of the few Nintendo properties that just fails completely in that area.

One of my biggest gaming disappointments in recent memory was playing the absolute poo poo out of Super Mario 3D Land, loving every minute, going “more Mario please!”, and buying New Super Mario Bros. 2. What a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Weedle posted:

One of my biggest gaming disappointments in recent memory was playing the absolute poo poo out of Super Mario 3D Land, loving every minute, going “more Mario please!”, and buying New Super Mario Bros. 2. What a letdown.

Haha I have the exact same memory and I still fell for this one again.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I never played Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 or Super Mario 3D World so I'm really hoping we get some more ports soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Over There posted:

I never played Super Mario Galaxy 1.

I just started playing this on my Wii and it is extremely good. It holds up really well graphically, if they did absolutely nothing to the assets and just ran it at 1080p on the switch it would look amazing

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Over There posted:

I never played Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 or Super Mario 3D World so I'm really hoping we get some more ports soon.

Same. Galaxy 1+2 HD would be great, and I never played 3D World. Looking forward to more Wii U owners bitching about "having to pay $59.99 again", too, because the thought they just could just... not... is apparently crazy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Over There posted:

You should download Dolphin and :filez: SMG1+2 and play them at 1080p. They're some of the best 3D Mario games ever.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

American McGay posted:

You should download Dolphin and :filez: SMG1+2 and play them at 1080p. They're some of the best 3D Mario games ever.

Never tried with Wii games. Is it difficult to implement with the motion controls?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RandomFerret posted:

I love the megaman series but you have to admit a lot of it is bullshit.

This was never okay

Isn't the block above you going to disappear first? That area is bullshit and the jet exists to cheese it similar to how doing quickman's stage without time stop was real drat hard.

HMS Beagle posted:

The boss you have to use Clash Bombs on might be my least favorite moment in gaming.

This, on the other hand, was outright stupid bullshit because you couldn't do anything to win if you didn't have enough energy to use the weapon enough times.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

What are you using wood for before that? I've started 3 different runs, and never needed more than like 6 pieces, since you never use wood for anything else.

Nothing. And I also never took time to collect it before starting that dumb quest.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Over There posted:

Never tried with Wii games. Is it difficult to implement with the motion controls?
I've always just used real Wiimotes with it since it supports bluetooth pairing them. I dunno how other control schemes are handled.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I didn’t even know you could chop down trees and hack up the trunks for wood until I had already collected the first batch. I just wandered around stables and towns picking up pre-cut wood wherever I could find it. I’m a certified genius.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
drat, now that's environmentally friendly

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Over There posted:

fuckkk

those are my favorite Marios

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Over There posted:

Motion controls can be mapped to buttons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is it true that NSMBUD lets you do that air twirl by pressing the jump button in air? That sounds kinda lovely if you’re used to the original game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

eonwe posted:

fuckkk

those are my favorite Marios

I'm very excited to eventually play them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1083918065891389440?s=19

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So what's the whole "deal" with Mario Bros U Deluxe?

Is it just a bog standard platformer with a Mario skin or is there some cool hook to it that makes it its own unique thing?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

GreatGreen posted:

Is it just a bog standard platformer with a Mario skin or is there some cool hook to it that makes it its own unique thing?

On the wii u, it had one of the best forms of co-op, but on the switch it's just a well made Mario.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

a cool hook like good level design

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Looper posted:

a cool hook like good level design

How would it rank among the rest of the 2D Mario platformers?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Imagined posted:

Retronauts listener?

Expect one about a year after the Switch Too comes out.

Sup, fellow Retronauts fan? :respek:

I really want them to finish their end of year retrospective from each decade.

Also, Wario Ware Smooth Moves was my favourite :colbert:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Tutorials and manuals honestly shouldn't be needed. If your AAA big budget game requires a tutorial then you should rethink your game play mechanics in my opinion. The starting level of Mega Man X is still the gold standard for how you introduce someone to a game.

that level doesn't tell you to go to chill penguin next so it's garbage

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GreatGreen posted:

It's a 2D Mario game. It doesn't need a hook.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

better than the other New games, SMB1, and SMB2. it just looks super bland

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tutorials are important to any game especially since games have added mechanics and such over the years.

Making them optional is the better tactic.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looper posted:

that level doesn't tell you to go to chill penguin next so it's garbage

No, that's the job of his dumb, smug face on the level select screen

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Looper posted:

better than the other New games, SMB1, and SMB2. it just looks super bland

I think that's what's making me 2nd-guess buying it. I know Mario is all about mechanics but this game looks... like it's got a particularly apparent case of that weird kind of bland, emotionally empty look you tended to see in quite a few mid-3D games from years ago and it's kind of off-putting.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 12, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

RandomFerret posted:

No, that's the job of his dumb, smug face on the level select screen

I never realized this before, but you're completely right and that is some brilliant design.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yea so will probably buy Vesperia instead. Symphonia is the only Tales game I have played and liked it, so might as well as get the supposed best one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I double dipped and ordered the physical Danmaku Unlimited. Probably also going to get Iconoclasts since that's coming. Really hoping for a physical Momodora.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hand Row posted:

Yea so will probably buy Vesperia instead. Symphonia is the only Tales game I have played and liked it, so might as well as get the supposed best one.

I mean Berseria is the best one but it ain’t on the switch.....yet.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Berseria is so refreshing a story to come from a Tales game of all things. A woman is turned into a monster and instead of lamenting her fate she leans into it hard and makes no bones about being out for revenge and is so single minded about it the whole time. It's great.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't the block above you going to disappear first? That area is bullshit and the jet exists to cheese it similar to how doing quickman's stage without time stop was real drat hard.

This, on the other hand, was outright stupid bullshit because you couldn't do anything to win if you didn't have enough energy to use the weapon enough times.

Final boss of 2 is also utter crap.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just started playing this on my Wii and it is extremely good. It holds up really well graphically, if they did absolutely nothing to the assets and just ran it at 1080p on the switch it would look amazing

I just played through both Galaxy games on dolphin for the first time at 1440 and they look incredible with a simple up-rez. And they are the two best 3D Mario games, imo.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Over There posted:

I played them with an xbone controller. This is better in some ways (mapping a button to shake is a huge quality of life improvement), and worse in others (the pointer is a bit awkward, but not terribly so).

I think I still have the controller profiles for SMG1 saved on my PC if you're interested in them. They needed a slight modification for some of SMG2's gimmick levels but it wasn't hard to figure out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

It's very good, I'd say in the same neighborhood as 3 and World.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Midjack posted:

Mega Man 3 > Mega Man 2

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Midjack posted:

i like the final boss of mega man 2 because i'm good at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Mega Man 3 > Mega Man 2

True. I love 2 but there are a lot of dick moves in it, even by Mega Man standards.