Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://pellsson.github.io/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

florida lan posted:

staring at modern webapps (including ours) saddens me.

i have fond memories of a time long long ago when i was briefly employed as a web dev, and in absence of any actual education or training from my employer on how to do web dev, watching some nice video made by google engineers about how html provided the content, css provided formatting, and javascript provided dynamic modifications of the other two based on user action. it was such a beautiful separation of concerns.

now html is a stub document with a bunch of script tags and a splash logo to display while said scripts construct a document with actual content and styling using some nonsense involving 14 layers of functions with single-character names.

i have become angry outdated old so much sooner than i thought.

Yes it turns out that a document typesetting system makes a poor user interface toolkit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

florida lan posted:

i have fond memories of a time long long ago when i was briefly employed as a web dev, and in absence of any actual education or training from my employer on how to do web dev, watching some nice video made by google engineers about how html provided the content, css provided formatting, and javascript provided dynamic modifications of the other two based on user action. it was such a beautiful separation of concerns.

now html is a stub document with a bunch of script tags and a splash logo to display while said scripts construct a document with actual content and styling using some nonsense involving 14 layers of functions with single-character names.

does the back button work on your site because if not im going to ban you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

florida lan posted:

it wouldn't be bad if the client language was c# instead of javascript.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

it wouldn't be bad if the client language was c# instead of javascript.

then go back in time and kill brendan eich cause otherwise that horse left the barn years ago

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

florida lan posted:

new thread title

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

then go back in time and kill brendan eich cause otherwise that horse left the barn years ago

yeah netscape and mozilla pretty much destroyed the internet

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
modern javascript is fine as a language although the stdlib is tiny because browsers

the ecosystem that came up because of the tiny stdlib, the lack of standardized build targets, and the entire thing running on the client is javascript's shame

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol no. javascript is a horrible, horrible language and all the tooling in the world cant fix it. also all the tooling is terrible

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah netscape and mozilla pretty much destroyed the internet

lmao sure it's not microsoft refusing to follow the w3c or anything

the browser wars were microsoft's fault and we've all suffered for it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mozilla should have accepted microsofts superior technology but instead they promoted what was the worst possible option

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

lol no. javascript is a horrible, horrible language and all the tooling in the world cant fix it. also all the tooling is terrible

i know i'm being shaggared but i'm sincerely curious as to why you think es6 is a horrible language

don't compare it to c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like it really cant be overstated just how bad javascript is and how terrible of a choice it was.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

es6 not what you remember of javascript from 1998

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you show an es6 to a shaggar, they will refuse its existence

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

i know i'm being shaggared but i'm sincerely curious as to why you think es6 is a horrible language

don't compare it to c#

idk why we would exclude good languages from consideration, but javascripts core problem is its comedy type system. every problem it has comes from the terrible decision to not really have types but then also have 2 different flavors of null. it makes it awful to use as a human, but it also makes it impossible to create good runtimes or tools.

it should be compared to c# and java which are much better languages and were an option at the time javascript really started to become a problem.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Blinkz0rz posted:

modern javascript is fine as a language although the stdlib is tiny because browsers

Do you prefer substr or substring?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Js even has actual integers now although obviously there are limits to how well you can retrofit this sort of thing

(Bigints. Stick n on the end of a number literal to make it a bigint)

It still isn't a particularly great language but at least it is no longer an awful one now that es6 classes and triple equals and iterables and the module system exist.

Like it or not we are all stuck in this loveless marriage and we have to make it work somehow, to the wider ecosystem's credit they're not doing a terrible job.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if es6 had eliminated prototype inheritance and dynamic types it would have been a good step forward

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

Js even has actual integers now although obviously there are limits to how well you can retrofit this sort of thing

(Bigints. Stick n on the end of a number literal to make it a bigint)

It still isn't a particularly great language but at least it is no longer an awful one now that es6 classes and triple equals and iterables and the module system exist.

Like it or not we are all stuck in this loveless marriage and we have to make it work somehow, to the wider ecosystem's credit they're not doing a terrible job.

ah yes everything runs on node now so its all the same level of terrible instead of differently terrible based on which tool you're using.

I cant wait for webass to eliminate javascript from web development

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure you can judge javascript without considering the improvements using typescript brings.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Do you prefer substr or substring?

i'm aware of the gotcha you're trying to call out. i tend to use substring because mdn considers substr to be legacy

that said i haven't written an appreciable amount of javascript in a year and a bit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

I'm not sure you can judge javascript without considering the improvements using typescript brings.

having to install a bunch of javascript compiler tooling to go from typescript to javascript does not make javascript good. it just adds more headache to the development process when we could have just had something typescript like from the start.

like yeah we're stuck here and it sucks rear end, but there are people in this thread actually defending the state of web "development". these people are insane and we should do our best to prevent that from spreading.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

if es6 had eliminated prototype inheritance and dynamic types it would have been a good step forward

prototypical inheritance is fine it's not the language's fault you don't understand it

js type system could be better but typescript exists and tbh if you get into a place where you have questions about your types you're probably writing bad code anyway

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

when he’s right he’s right

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

javascript is bad

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i wonder what the overlap between people saying javascript is bad and people who write c is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're writing any javascript at all you're writing bad code, but I cant imagine a scenario where types aren't important. also prototype inheritance is dumb as gently caress and anyone promoting dynamic typing should be shot.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

AWWNAW posted:

javascript is bad

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

having to install a bunch of javascript compiler tooling to go from typescript to javascript does not make javascript good. it just adds more headache to the development process when we could have just had something typescript like from the start.

like yeah we're stuck here and it sucks rear end, but there are people in this thread actually defending the state of web "development". these people are insane and we should do our best to prevent that from spreading.

well it kind of does if your problem is things like a bad type system and doing those things makes that not a problem any more. javascript may be bad, but you're mostly complaining about solved problems because you refuse to consider the solution because using programming tools is "hard".

it's not like i can open up a .cs file in notepad and magic it to life without installing a bunch of tooling, it's literally how almost all programming languages work

i mean it's clear you have the luxury of not developing things in javascript but you're not going to convince me that you wouldn't use tools to solve your problems if you did

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I cannot imagine what it must be like to work somewhere that forces you to use JavaScript and you just have to make the best of a bad situation. nobody should have to live like that

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AWWNAW posted:

I cannot imagine what it must be like to work somewhere that forces you to use JavaScript and you just have to make the best of a bad situation. nobody should have to live like that

a lot of people chose to live like that

learn to love your chains and all that

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Blinkz0rz posted:

if you get into a place where you have questions about your types you're probably writing bad code anyway

:psyduck: I don't think I've ever seen this particular defense of dynamic typing before but here we are.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

the terrible programmers are coming from inside the thread

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Beamed posted:

:psyduck: I don't think I've ever seen this particular defense of dynamic typing before but here we are.

i can understand duck typing being ok as long as your project doesn't touch important things, but dynamic typing is just so out there

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AWWNAW posted:

i too struggle to understand where modern websites come from

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chalks posted:

i too struggle to understand where modern websites come from

they come straight from hell

next!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
on a different note, I'd forgotten how I struggled with timed programming tests, just did one for a job where my three solutions were 1) good, 2) correct but too slow, and 3) then right approach but not complete :(

tomorrow I need to do another one that includes some component of video recording of answers to questions which seems p bullshit, gotta keep that ability to surreptitiously check a candidate's skin colour i guess

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Beamed posted:

did you completely miss that 10 year period where everyone loved dynamic typing and thought that static types were just a legacy thing that used to be required for good performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

i wonder what the overlap between people saying javascript is bad and people who write c is

i write c, and while i can assure you that yes its nearly as bad as my posts, i dont ever want to touch the javascript again