Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Artificer posted:

Does the standard Highlander have the weight to carry both LRMs and a Gauss Rifle? I forget.

I got a King Crab and turned it into th3_B33F special with AC20 and srm 20 eith a huge massive right dead side.

I don't know if the one you get in the campaign is special, I have my Highlander with the gauss rifle and two LRM-20s as my long range headshotter. Close to max armor, way more ammo than it needs, no heatsinks needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The welfare Highlander is indeed special: it has 65 tons available (as much as an Atlas or King Crab) instead of the 60.5 on the HGN-733 and HGN-733P.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah. The star league highlander had an endo steel chassis.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if the one you get in the campaign is special, I have my Highlander with the gauss rifle and two LRM-20s as my long range headshotter. Close to max armor, way more ammo than it needs, no heatsinks needed.

I just built one for myself with 3 JJs, 2 medium lasers, 1 srm 6, gauss rifle, and lrm20. Whats your ammo looking like with your build?

Oh wait you answered that question

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 12, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think I have 720 missiles and have never gotten close to emptying it. You could swap one LRM-20 for a 15 and carry a little less ammo and still have quite the sniper.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there a goon recommended site for mech loadouts? I'd like to check my loadouts as I progress through the campaign against some authoritative source.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is there a goon recommended site for mech loadouts? I'd like to check my loadouts as I progress through the campaign against some authoritative source.

No; just post them here or on the discord.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

All my compositions seen to fall into 2 categories: lrm boats with a gauss rifle possibly, srm wielding brawlers. And thats it.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Artificer posted:

All my compositions seen to fall into 2 categories: lrm boats with a gauss rifle possibly, srm wielding brawlers. And thats it.

That's because the changes to how missile hit works made them the best weapons, especially since 95% hit rates are common. Plus, the improved versions gain more than the improved versions of other weapons (SRM6s get +24 damage and LRM20s get +40) which is icing on the cake.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I dont have anyone with lrms as a supplement either. Its either srms and medium lasers and friends, or lrms. I guess hyperspecializing makes sense here just like in mwo. Plus 270m optimal weapons are just so weight efficient.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grand Fromage posted:

I agree that reinforcements would be more interesting as an occasional holy gently caress rather than just going in with the assumption you're going to be fighting at least eight mechs/tanks. I suppose they do it that way since the AI isn't able to put up as much of a fight so they compensate with numbers.

AI also doesn't get custom tuned mechs, which is a pretty huge difference even before you add upgraded weapons.

But I really don't think a hypothetical human-quality AI would make things more fun. A good AI would be all about focusing your mechs down and making good decisions about which targets are vulnerable. You'd expect to lose a mech in every fight. A good AI wouldn't move into your sight radius and let you take the first shot, they'd make *you* move into *them*.

My only beef with the 'reinforcements' is the way they're presented to the player. I think that in missions where an extra lance starts on the map, they shouldn't try to conceal them. Just have Darius tell me he's detected an additional lance, somewhere over there (vague indicator marker).

The surprise only works once. After the first time you get sandwiched by going straight at an objective, you will never let that happen again. Every mission after you spend an extra 10 minutes scouting out the reinforcements first, or walking wide circles around the map looking for them, and it's just tedious in a game that doesn't need more down time. It's not worth it. Mark them early and let the player be more aggressive in how they approach 2v1 odds.

Actual reinforcements that come from off-map, which plenty of missions have, are fine. You get more warning and it makes logical sense that you couldn't have known about them in advance.

quote:

Withdrawal is weird too, I've had a few times where it hit me with bad faith withdrawal that made no sense. One where I killed the assassination target then bounced, another when I killed 3/4 of the target lance before running. I thought you were supposed to get a good faith if you achieved any part of the mission objectives before escaping.

Good faith needs any of the 'primary' objectives complete, the bonus objectives don't count. On assassination missions the bodyguards are a bonus.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I think the game needs more eye-in-the-sky tactical options to balance "four mechs is very easy on account of the AI is stupid" and "eight-12 mechs is hard because of the sheer volume of fire"

Like, there's one tundra map that I hate where you start on a small hill with a road in a valley in front of you and a mountain in front of that. One lance is always on top of that mountain and will have bonus to-hits over you unless you charge everyone up it immediately, but that's a tough sell because reinforcements always come in from the east. Staying on top of your original hill is rough because tree cover is kinda limited, so you have to do some metagaming and creep around the edges of the map a bit, and that's kinda tedious.

What would make that easier would be the ability to choose where the Leopard drops you off, maybe with additional costs based on perceived advantageousness or the like? Being able to choose your extraction zone should at least be a thing, because "lol we don't know where you're gonna have to go to escape but it's definitely going to be THROUGH the enemy assault lance" feels like very poor planning on Darius' part.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Has anyone made a mod yet to randomize the starting mechs on career mode? About to start my third go, and having the same ones every time gets boring...

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Search for random career start on nexus.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
RogueTech also partially randomizes your starting lance. I believe you get one mech that's always the same which is tied to your starting location and the other five are random lights/mediums, which means sometimes you get a lance of face-smashers and other times you gotta make do with a "Rocket Launcher and Light Gauss" pirate centurion

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

New ModTek 5.0 just came out, adds a lot of features requested by modders, so expect a lot of mods to update and require this in the next week or so. For my mods, the new ability to merge arrays is a massive time saver and the "Optionally Depends On" means I can force Better AI to load after cFixes automatically.

https://github.com/BattletechModders/ModTek/releases

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Amechwarrior posted:

New ModTek 5.0 just came out, adds a lot of features requested by modders, so expect a lot of mods to update and require this in the next week or so. For my mods, the new ability to merge arrays is a massive time saver and the "Optionally Depends On" means I can force Better AI to load after cFixes automatically.

https://github.com/BattletechModders/ModTek/releases

As someone playing with a few mods (including yours!) I really appreciate your updates about what's going on the mod scene. Nice to see the progress and know about what's coming up!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Could somebody with more modding tell me how to add GR ammo to shops, or direct me to a mod that does so (that works). I just want to make GR ammo always available whenever other ammo is available.

I've made .json file edit mods already, so I know the basics. I can't figure out why my changes to shopdef_Ammo_all.json isn't working. I added the following block to the file:

quote:

{
"ID" : "Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_GAUSS",
"Type" : "AmmunitionBox",
"DiscountModifier" : 1.0,
"Count" : 0
},

This block is between the blocks for LRM ammo and MG ammo. I load up the game, travel to another planet, and it isn't there. I still see unlimited MG and LRM ammo, so its not some kind of syntax error. I've tried editing the Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_GAUSS.json in addition to this file to set rarity to 0 and remove the BLACKLISTED and lostech tags. Still doesn't show up when I travel to a new system.

Any suggestions?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I always laugh at how rare gauss rifle ammo is in this game. It's literally just a big blob of ferrous metal. LIke, I"m sure it's precision machined or cast or something to make it feed right and not gently caress up the gun, but it's orders of magnitude simpler than the guided missiles that are routinely available by the ton. If Yang can just magic armor out of thin air he ought to be able to cast some glorified cannon balls in his spare time.

poo poo, there's a canonical instance of someone shoving an I-beam into one and it firing. It hosed the gun up, it was a one-off thing to keep Mary Sue-Liao alive for the next book, but it still happened in-universe.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I always laugh at how rare gauss rifle ammo is in this game. It's literally just a big blob of ferrous metal. LIke, I"m sure it's precision machined or cast or something to make it feed right and not gently caress up the gun, but it's orders of magnitude simpler than the guided missiles that are routinely available by the ton. If Yang can just magic armor out of thin air he ought to be able to cast some glorified cannon balls in his spare time.

poo poo, there's a canonical instance of someone shoving an I-beam into one and it firing. It hosed the gun up, it was a one-off thing to keep Mary Sue-Liao alive for the next book, but it still happened in-universe.

That was also explicitly a feature of that model of railgun. I remember that from devouring every battletech novel I could find as a teenager.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gauss rifles being LosTech in general was always weird. It's not that complex a piece of technology, we already have (bad) ones. I guess it's an 80s artifact like Space Japan.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Organ Fiend posted:

Could somebody with more modding tell me how to add GR ammo to shops, or direct me to a mod that does so (that works). I just want to make GR ammo always available whenever other ammo is available.

I've made .json file edit mods already, so I know the basics. I can't figure out why my changes to shopdef_Ammo_all.json isn't working. I added the following block to the file:

This block is between the blocks for LRM ammo and MG ammo. I load up the game, travel to another planet, and it isn't there. I still see unlimited MG and LRM ammo, so its not some kind of syntax error. I've tried editing the Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_GAUSS.json in addition to this file to set rarity to 0 and remove the BLACKLISTED and lostech tags. Still doesn't show up when I travel to a new system.

Any suggestions?

That should work. My bet is that it didn't show up because you haven't actually generated a new shop inventory.

You need to go to a new system that you haven't been to in the last 14 days -- shops are persistent if you go back quick enough. Also the shop selection is generated when you jump in, so you can't speed up testing by using a save from just before you arrived at the planet. Move along to another planet and I bet it'll be there.

On tags:
Blacklisted controls whether things show up in skirmish, so that doesn't matter. Lostech means it won't be show up in a random loot roll in the salvage screen. (So both of those have no effect on stores.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Bourbon and Battlemechs" is going really well, I thought. These ramshackle griffins can't do poo poo! Look, the Banshee just punched all the weapons off that one! Wait, what's it doing?

Where's that foot going

No gently caress you not again

RIP Tiny. Lasted twenty hours then got kicked in the head to instantly die, a feat Tiny himself never accomplished (though he tore out plenty of cores). At least it doesn't mean I instantly lose the campaign like when some lovely little mech did that to my royal highlander in the main story.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 14, 2019

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Gauss rifles being LosTech in general was always weird. It's not that complex a piece of technology, we already have (bad) ones. I guess it's an 80s artifact like Space Japan.

Well, maybe it's an issue of a rail gun compact enough yet also powerful enough to be useful. Cutting edge capacitors and batteries or whatever that give it enough juice to lob a slug absurdly fast with a gun this small. Without those things you could still build a rail gun, it'd just fire much slower projectiles that'd be stopped by any half decent armor or only be able to charge up a shot every half hour so nobody bothers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how every single flashpoint has given me a full urbie as a reward.

e: I still haven't seen a single target acquisition

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 14, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Warbadger posted:

Well, maybe it's an issue of a rail gun compact enough yet also powerful enough to be useful. Cutting edge capacitors and batteries or whatever that give it enough juice to lob a slug absurdly fast with a gun this small. Without those things you could still build a rail gun, it'd just fire much slower projectiles that'd be stopped by any half decent armor or only be able to charge up a shot every half hour so nobody bothers.

Yet PPCs exist and are common.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"such and such weapon is lostech" was a fig leaf from decades ago that didn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny at the time, either. it's just a thin justification for retconning a bunch of new weapons into Battletech.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just got the new event where you meet Morgan Kell and he gives you some DHS. I like the subtle inference that he found a
Null Signature System or something like it while tooling around the periphery.

And people say this game breaks canon, pah! Daisy chained docking collars are a small price to pay for stamping out the weird mystical junk.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Capellan Confederates hate my rear end to -96 and won't let me use their stores or hiring halls. Okay, fine, thats fine I guess.

But I also can't use the blackmarkets either, which seems like something that should be corrected. Seems like that is the entire point of a black market.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wrr posted:

Capellan Confederates hate my rear end to -96 and won't let me use their stores or hiring halls. Okay, fine, thats fine I guess.

But I also can't use the blackmarkets either, which seems like something that should be corrected. Seems like that is the entire point of a black market.

Even if the pirates loving hate you you will eventually (probably) get an event to give you access to them. It just comes quicker, and cheaper, if the pirates like you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd really like to stop fighting a dozen demolishers and trebuchets at a time now and fight literally anything else so I can stop losing all my weapons to a dozen demolishers and trebuchets :argh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yet PPCs exist and are common.

Common everywhere but Marik space, where they were virtually Lostech. There's a reason most BattleMechs with a -M Marik variant swap out PPCs for Large Lasers until their alliance with the Draconis Combine in the 3030 let them buy some of the Combine's overstock.

PPCs are interesting because the Draconis Combine definitely has the most and the best (which is why they were able to slap two on a Catapult to make the -K2) while the nations furthest from the Combine (the FWL and CapCon) have the fewest.

Edit: Every nation has weird preferences for their standardized "custom" 'Mech modifications.
- House Kurita -K variants usually strip weapons to add armor or heat sinks or jump jets
- House Davion -D variants usually strip armor to add weapons and/or jump jets
- House Steiner -S variants tends to drop speed and/or armor to add more guns and then strip small guns to add more big guns (and then strip more anything to add more Gauss Rifles)
- House Marik's -M variants swap every PPC they can for large lasers so they'll have enough PPCs to keep building Awesomes
- House Liao's -L variants swap whatever the gently caress they feel they need to at a given moment to better counter House Davion slapping an extra SRM-2 into something "for added close-range punch." They tend to sacrifice heat efficiency for versatility.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 14, 2019

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Organ Fiend posted:

Any suggestions?

Thanks for that, I'm going to try and mod my game to add that as well. For some reason I only have one ammo box, and I'm not sure what happened to the other.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Even if the pirates loving hate you you will eventually (probably) get an event to give you access to them. It just comes quicker, and cheaper, if the pirates like you.

Yeah the pirates loathe me and I was able to pay a cool 2.5 mil for access. Wish I hadn't skipped it earlier when it was 500k but that's merc lyfe I guess.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Every nation has weird preferences for their standardized "custom" 'Mech modifications.
- House Steiner -S variants tends to drop speed and/or armor to add more guns and then strip small guns to add more big guns (and then strip more anything to add more Gauss Rifles)

The correct answer. If it the number of Gauss Rifles on a mech is less than two, then it needs more Gauss Rifles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They then strip even Gauss Rifles to add more Gauss Rifle to their Gauss Rifles (in the form of the Heavy Gauss Rifle). The Fafnir is the Steiner ideal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man these new events are really good btw. After nearly getting annihilated in the Orion a mechwarrior walked up to the mechbay, stared at it in the shop, and started sobbing. I shared a personal story about how the same thing happened to me (apparently every month based on these headshots) and how we're probably the good guys and she's Dependable now.

We've been getting owned a lot lately. :haw:

e: stop loving shooting my mechwarrior in the head holy poo poo every single mission

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 14, 2019

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

PoptartsNinja posted:

- House Kurita -K variants usually strip weapons to add armor or heat sinks or jump jets
- House Davion -D variants usually strip armor to add weapons and/or jump jets
- House Marik's -M variants swap every PPC they can for large lasers so they'll have enough PPCs to keep building Awesomes
- House Liao's -L variants swap whatever the gently caress they feel they need to at a given moment to better counter House Davion slapping an extra SRM-2 into something "for added close-range punch." They tend to sacrifice heat efficiency for versatility.

:aaa:

I had no idea. Does this extend in general to what you can get in salvage? Like pirates in Davion space will tend to have Davion variants? Or would I have to fight Davion forces?

Skippy McPants posted:

He just talking about setting fluff, not anything in the game.

:argh:

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 14, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He just talking about setting fluff, not anything in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

No see the pirates love me (in the 80s~) and I have access to the blackmarket everywhere else. The Capellans hate me so I don't have access to any stores in the sectors, which include the black markets. As in, usually when I click on the menu labelled Argo usually the Store and Hiring Hall sub menus pop out, and after clicking on store I can access the black market through its tab in the store interface. Right now no submenus appear after I click on the Argo section. The entire store is disabled. Since they added the blackmarket as a component of the store instead of a separate thing I end up not being able to access it.

Not the end of the world but still annoying.