Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I remember seeing Messenger look like this for about half a day a few months back. Looks like it’s finally been rolled out for everyone!

Since it just happened without an app update, I’m guessing a fair bit of Messenger is actually just HTML that the app is a wrapper for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question Mark Mound posted:

I remember seeing Messenger look like this for about half a day a few months back. Looks like it’s finally been rolled out for everyone!

Since it just happened without an app update, I’m guessing a fair bit of Messenger is actually just HTML that the app is a wrapper for?
They reeeeeeeeeally should have thought this through more :cripes:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Question Mark Mound posted:

The native code for it was likely there ages ago, and the experiment either ended or more people are in the experiment bucket rather than the control bucket now. I highly doubt any of it is HTML.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love that every app has weekly updates now that don’t state what changed in the changelogs. Awesome design.:thumbsup:

Just don't update.
Especially for Facebook and Messenger, but it works in general as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So what are you guys talking about? My messenger app looks like this

And has looked like that since as long as I can remember.

Yay a/b testing?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what are you guys talking about? My messenger app looks like this

And has looked like that since as long as I can remember.

Yay a/b testing?

It's tough showing it in a screenshot where I'm blocking out all the names/faces, but yeah.

Everything's bigger now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It’s similar to how the default iOS messenger looks now I guess. Hasn’t rolled out to me yet.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love that every app has weekly updates now that don’t state what changed in the changelogs. Awesome design.:thumbsup:

They've probably stopped caring since "Install app updates automatically" became a thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thwomp posted:

They've probably stopped caring since "Install app updates automatically" became a thing.

It’s even better when it’s some lame joke instead of a generic “general bug fixes”.:rolleyes:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like the preview of about 3 words you get now in the messenger view. Like, why bother at all.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Agreed on the new Messenger. I wish I could purge all Facebook apps from my life but I just can’t.

Unrelated, does anyone have issues with notifications with the Outlook app? Notifications are spotty (sometimes just stop for no apparent reason) and I have to reset my account every couple of days to fix it. It also doesn’t seem to update in the background which is ridiculous for a mail app....

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh goddamnit, it looks like Spotify hosed with their design and made it worse too :cripes:

Everything's been enlarged and thrown out of chronological order and it all goes under Popular Releases now. There are no longer separate sections for latest release and albums and singles/EPs unless you go to See Discography, and only then are releases shown in chronological order.

I swear to god, between this and the Messenger redesign, some UX designers really need to be fired lol. Change isn't always bad, but they're changing poo poo that didn't need to be changed and making things less streamlined.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's tough showing it in a screenshot where I'm blocking out all the names/faces, but yeah.

Everything's bigger now.

Huh, looks like i just got hit with this too. Honestly though everything looks like the same size as the old version in the picture I posted, except the colors are more bland.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh goddamnit, it looks like Spotify hosed with their design and made it worse too :cripes:

Just to be sure: do you have a subscription to Spotify or do you have a free account at the moment? I found out that there is a big difference between how the app functions if you are premium or not. But yeah, either way the app is terrible for actually managing playlists or adding new music to listen to (so I just use the desktop app for that). It's like we somehow didn't have a decade of touchscreen based mobile phones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My Spotify also updated this morning but it looks exactly the same as it did yesterday. I think the reason they never do real patch notes is that app updates and feature rollouts are completely disconnected from each other.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mierenneuker posted:

Just to be sure: do you have a subscription to Spotify or do you have a free account at the moment? I found out that there is a big difference between how the app functions if you are premium or not. But yeah, either way the app is terrible for actually managing playlists or adding new music to listen to (so I just use the desktop app for that). It's like we somehow didn't have a decade of touchscreen based mobile phones.
I've got Premium. Still annoyed that I pay for Premium and I can't add any new songs to my library because of a 10,000 song limit that I hit a long time ago, but I guess it's not that big a deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So all this talk with poo poo getting bigger and Gmail made everything smaller lol!

It’s almost too small? Also I honestly can’t find a way to make it bigger so I guess it’s stuck like this?? I can’t imagine old people are in for a good time haha.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MarcusSA posted:

So all this talk with poo poo getting bigger and Gmail made everything smaller lol!

It’s almost too small? Also I honestly can’t find a way to make it bigger so I guess it’s stuck like this?? I can’t imagine old people are in for a good time haha.
I'd rather poo poo get smaller than bigger! Haha at least olds have the ability to crank up the text size system-wide. I have it as small as it will go and I like it like that, so all this big poo poo I can't customize to be smaller looks ugly as hell to me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any good iPad apps for clipping, editing and merging GoPro videos?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Any good iPad apps for clipping, editing and merging GoPro videos?

I thought GoPro had one that was pretty good.

There’s also iMovie.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

tuyop posted:

I thought GoPro had one that was pretty good.

There’s also iMovie.

I’m new to their app but I did just find a button that brings up an AppStore link to Quik, a separate GoPro made app for editing. I’ll try it out.

E: Yeah this’ll work!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 13, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m really getting fed up with Twitter’s insistence on showing me things I don’t care about and making the things I do care about more annoying to see. I understand that Tweetbot is generally considered the best third-party Twitter app, but I also know that Twitter likes to gently caress around with third-party apps and make it harder for them to function. Are there any user-facing annoyances or limitations I should expect if I switch over to Tweetbot?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Third-party apps are barely useful for displaying the timeline anymore since they have to load and are put behind the official app and website and can be way behind current. Twitter did a good job of crippling them.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i still just use tweetbot for everything except polls and group DMs

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
If your main use case is “reading my timeline“, Tweetbot is perfect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW I did like Twitteriffic more than Tweetbot for no reason other than that it's not developed by libertarian assholes. In terms of capability, they're pretty much the same.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How do you guys even use Twitter? I’m 31 so it should come natural to me or whatever but even following 40 people my timeline is a mess and I have no idea what’s new. I can’t imagine people following 100+ accounts.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do you guys even use Twitter? I’m 31 so it should come natural to me or whatever but even following 40 people my timeline is a mess and I have no idea what’s new. I can’t imagine people following 100+ accounts.

Every official Twitter client, app or web, is a total dumperfuck clusterfire and the only way it’s even vaguely usable is via third-party clients that ignore all the algorithmic timeline garbage, don’t show “promoted” tweets, give you a linear timeline, and remember your place in that timeline

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lists. I never look at the basic timeline. It's also a great way to avoid promoted content in the official clients.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm 28 and following like 350 accounts. I use Tweetbot and have for years. It gives me a chronological view/number of new tweets since I last checked. Yes, it can take up a good deal of time, but it's pretty much the only social network I use on a regular basis nowadays. I stopped using Instagram, Tumblr and Snapchat completely years ago and I still have my Facebook but don't use it anywhere near as much as I used to and mostly just keep it around for talking to certain people through Messenger.

I get the majority of my news through Twitter too, so I'm not watching the news on TV or reading a newspaper every day or reading through all the new updates on Facebook. Twitter is covering most of those bases for me, so I no longer have a need for the rest which can take up a similar amount of time per day as I spend on Twitter.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The official app seems fine to me. They recently reintroduced the option to see your timeline in linear fashion again.

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW I did like Twitteriffic more than Tweetbot for no reason other than that it's not developed by libertarian assholes. In terms of capability, they're pretty much the same.

Not trying to be snarky but pretty much every app is made by libertarian assholes unfortunately.:v:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah official app user too, it’s not so bad. And when you change it to ‘latest tweets’ it tells you at the top of the screen that’s the mode you’re in, so you know they’ve not messed you around.

My advice is to mainly follow people that make you laugh.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And just knowing you won’t see every tweet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m 30 as well and never understood the appeal of twitter. I just use Feedly to subscribe to the RSS feeds of blogs and news sites I want to read. :shrug:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The official app seems fine to me. They recently reintroduced the option to see your timeline in linear fashion again.

You have to re-enable that setting every few hours because they periodically switch it back to the default “what the gently caress ever” order. It’s not like it’s a huge deal to switch it to latest but the fact that I have to do it every goddamn day annoys the poo poo out of me.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Goodnotes 5 is out for all you ipad note takers like me.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodnotes-5/id1444383602?mt=8

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I moved from Android to an iPhone XS back in October, and I've had other iOS devices for years and years, so it wasn't exactly some foreign leap, but I'd never used one as my primary device and run into this. I wouldn't have thought the app I missed most would be simple little AMDroid.

I would like an alarm that can be dismissed from the lock screen (is this even possible on iOS?), can have different alarms and schedules for different days of the week, doesn't try to blast me out of the bed with the loudest possible sound, and can skip the next alarm if I wake up before it without having to turn it off then back on again.

I've simulated most of these things with an arcane combination of settings. I have DND scheduled for work night timing with enable bedtime during DND. I use Bedtime within Clock.app to extend DND past that time for weekends, but with a silent alarm, because I can't seem to use my own music for an alarm sound in that part of the app, making me have to end the alarm twice on weekends. Then, of course, there are multiple alarms set in the main part of Clock and, despite using ffmpeg to make a version of my preferred wake-up songs with 10% volume and a 30-second fade-in, it somehow still plays them far louder than it should.

It doesn't feel like what I want out of an alarm clock is particularly strange, either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sleep Cycle is the only thing I know of that comes close to that list. You don't lock your phone though, you turn the alarm on, plug the phone in, and put it face down on your nightstand. It doesn't really have schedules either, you just select the time you want when turning the alarm on. The wake up schedule is nice though, it starts chiming a configurable amount of time before your must-be-up time and you can snooze by tapping the phone.

I don't know what "blaring" is to you but it's not too loud for me either.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

xzzy posted:

Sleep Cycle is the only thing I know of that comes close to that list. You don't lock your phone though, you turn the alarm on, plug the phone in, and put it face down on your nightstand. It doesn't really have schedules either, you just select the time you want when turning the alarm on. The wake up schedule is nice though, it starts chiming a configurable amount of time before your must-be-up time and you can snooze by tapping the phone.

I don't know what "blaring" is to you but it's not too loud for me either.

I think I've tried that. Blaring, in this case, is the strange disconnect between choosing my modified song in the list and hearing it play with a nice, quiet fade-in, and what it actually plays as the alarm, which is far louder than the preview was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Luceo posted:

I would like an alarm that can be dismissed from the lock screen (is this even possible on iOS?), can have different alarms and schedules for different days of the week, doesn't try to blast me out of the bed with the loudest possible sound, and can skip the next alarm if I wake up before it without having to turn it off then back on again.

Everything except the skip alarm is pretty standard... how are you dismissing the alarm if not from the lock screen? It goes off, and two options appear asking whether to kill it or sleep (if enabled). The days of the week are all selected from the Repeat option (just pick the days), and volume is the set from Ringers and Alerts in the Sound menu.