Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

incels interlinked posted:

I had one of these, it was not a good car

I had a 98 SHO for a few years. Many of them blew their engines from faulty camshafts but mine succumbed to extreme body, subframe, brake line rust. What an odd car. 3.4L 32v V8 with V6 horsepower that made a lovely sound bolted to a slow 4 speed automatic. Extremely expensive ZF sourced power steering rack that would probably shame most electric assists today. Electrically adjustable dampers that when working made for an excellent ride. And that goddamn football center stack that made it impossible to install an aftermarket radio.

Since the engine was duratec based it also had the alternator located near the firewall at the bottom of the engine bay making it impossible to change without removing a wheel, tie rod, and dropping the subframe. Mine seized up with the engine running one time and began burning the belt. Also coil-on-plug ignition was still relatively new to Ford in the mid 90's, and the V8 SHO's would fry the ones on the rear bank from excess heat, usually causing the engine to dump fuel into one of the catalytic converters. Got a flashing CEL (misfire) in northern michigan on vacation one year and by the time I could pull off the road the cat was glowing red. Had to be replaced.

poo poo, no wonder I really like leasing a cheap appliance cars these day.

E: New car chat. Some very blurry photos of the upcoming C8 interior

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Early 80's cars sucked until fuel injection came along, to me that's the point where everything started improving for the better. 70's cars were awful besides the few cool muscle cars from that era.

Interesting in retrospect that Saab had both distributorless coil-on-plug and brake-by-wire w/ ABS in 1988, plus Audi, Porsche, and Nissan having computer-controlled locking diffs in 1989. Mercedes started using modern airbags around this time as well.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 12, 2019

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Driver's seat outfitted like an intercontinental business class seat with a big armrest covered in a zillion fiddly little controls and a wall to isolate you from the passenger, who gets the equivalent of a regional jet window seat.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Am I alone in not giving a gently caress about the C8 corvette?
I think the Corvette peaked for me with the C6 Z06 with Z07 package. Those were loving gorgeous and had way more than most people would need power and handling wise.
The C8 is going to be priced insane, no manual most likely, loving terrible rear visibility, and you lose all the storage from the last few Corvette generations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

You are not alone.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Storage: The one thing all Corvette buyers are really looking for.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

It gets 28 MPG on the highway!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m getting vertigo trying to understand what the hell I’m looking at. The angle of the seat compared to the steering wheel is positively Lovecraftian

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

david_a posted:

I’m getting vertigo trying to understand what the hell I’m looking at. The angle of the seat compared to the steering wheel is positively Lovecraftian

Framing that didn't care about level horizon.
I think there's some perspective distortion from the lens:

The wheel being turned to the left doesn't help.

My guess is that the wheel is in the full tilted up position.

e: I get that having a tunnel can stiffen the chassis, but that one seems excessively sized.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Franco Caution posted:

Am I alone in not giving a gently caress about the C8 corvette?
I think the Corvette peaked for me with the C6 Z06 with Z07 package. Those were loving gorgeous and had way more than most people would need power and handling wise.
The C8 is going to be priced insane, no manual most likely, loving terrible rear visibility, and you lose all the storage from the last few Corvette generations.
Nope. The C7 is marginally too much race car-ish, but the C8? gently caress is just can't bring myself to care at all.

MrYenko posted:

Lots of Corvettes get used as GT cars.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 12, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Not sure about all of you but MPG and storage are my top two items for a sports car. If it can’t fit a full sized 22” 305 spare and 4 suitcases for a weekend trip then I’m not interested.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
When the C6 Z06 was my only car, the big hatch came in handy plenty of times. It was a real plus. I think it only makes C6s better options in the used market.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

MrYenko posted:

It gets 28 MPG on the highway!

I moved from CO to FL in a C5. Yeah later, I moved from FL back to CO in a C6.
Both times it was great being able to take pretty much everything I needed for day to day life with me in the back.
A lot of people use the storage in the vette to hold golf clubs and luggage. It will be interesting to see how the C8 deals with this.

It also did not hurt one bit getting amazing gas mileage both trips.

The C7 made some good improvements, but I wasnt a fan of how it lost some of the rear visibility of the previous generations.
Plus the cost. The C7 Z06 is easily 100k with options, and the ZR1 is even above that. Im curious in a 'gently caress no' kinda way at where GM is going to price the C8.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the mid-engine Corvette For Real this time?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've read speculation that they are going to price it starting around $10,000 higher than the C7 all the way up to $100K more than the C7. If it's the former I'd potentially be in the market but not sure where I could put my dog.

Franco Caution posted:

The C7 made some good improvements, but I wasnt a fan of how it lost some of the rear visibility of the previous generations.
Plus the cost. The C7 Z06 is easily 100k with options, and the ZR1 is even above that. Im curious in a 'gently caress no' kinda way at where GM is going to price the C8.

There were multiple new C7 Z06s marked down to the low $80,000 range (for 2LZ) and high $70,000s for 1LZ at the dealership I was at this past week, not cheap by any means but that is a hell of a lot of vehicle for the money.

I'd still rather pick up one lightly used for <$60,000 since so many of them are garage queens that have barely been driven

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 12, 2019

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsUWV7NoxA

There was a video leak of the new supra.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Solus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsUWV7NoxA

There was a video leak of the new supra.

gently caress ugly.

Change my mind. :colbert:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Can’t wait to troll new Supras in my FoRS.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Keyser_Soze posted:

This is what we need!

Pretty much just the new A-Class interior:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I like it dead on from the front and side but there's something off about the 3/4 view both front and rear.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Jalopnik/status/1084252485408182277

Expensive, ugly, with Japanese styling and German parts

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's $5k more than the M240i

only $1400 less than the 440i

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://twitter.com/Jalopnik/status/1084252485408182277

Expensive, ugly, with Japanese styling and German parts

Ya, methinks the legend of Supra might suffer a little with this one, no matter how good the car is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

*$50,000 340hp supra fails*

I guess people just don't want sports cars :shrug:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Honda now is when you unleash the Prelude on people as the peoples fun car

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Honda now is when you unleash the Prelude on people as the peoples fun car

I mean what would be an equivalent Prelude these days? People poo poo on the Civic Type R for being too expensive and too gaudy, but anything less than 300hp gets poo poo on for not having enough power.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

uh, 4ws and being cool, obviously

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

I mean what would be an equivalent Prelude these days? People poo poo on the Civic Type R for being too expensive and too gaudy, but anything less than 300hp gets poo poo on for not having enough power.

The Civic Si coupe?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AggressivelyStupid posted:

uh, 4ws and being cool, obviously

Pop. Up. Headlights.

EZ $$ automotive press blowies

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

*$50,000 340hp supra fails*

I guess people just don't want sports cars :shrug:

70k/60k/50k sales for Mustang/Challenger/Camaro last year.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I hate the fact that the mechanicals in the Supra are all BMW.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well I like this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Username checks out

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I like the body; I don't like the drive train.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Yeah, bring back the B8444S

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

KakerMix posted:

Pop. Up. Headlights.

EZ $$ automotive press blowies

If you added radar sensors to make the lights snap down out of the way right before you hit the pedestrian I bet popups could pass modern safety standards

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

70k/60k/50k sales for Mustang/Challenger/Camaro last year.

For the price of a Supra you can get a competitor with well over 400 reliable horsepower (and 4 doors in the case of the Charger)? What point are you trying to make

If the Supra weighs like 3400lb it will be reasonably quick I guess but I don't get who their audience is

I'm anticipating the $50,000 Supra vs. Mustang GT Track Pack vs Camaro SS 1LE where the Supra finishes dead last in all objective metrics but wins for 'gotta have it factor'

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I test drove a V90 (it was even brown!) when they came out and it was amazing except for the lackluster drivetrain. Shame, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

bull3964 posted:

My bet is the i6 starts at about $58k.

This car isn't going to be cheap. It's almost certainly going to command a premium over the Kia Stinger.

I mean, the turbo had a $50k MSRP back in 1996. Sub $60k would be a bargain compared to inflation.

I say starting at $42k, top spec trim is about $58k, and then upwards for special editions.

Just quoting myself. I even UNDERSHOT and everyone was telling me it was a high estimate.