Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm surprised that Hakumei & Mikochi didn't get more support, I know the manga was well-received and the show is very well put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A lot of people dismissed it because they thought the manga looked too good for an adaptation to be worthwhile. It seemed like an odd reason to me but that plus bad subs meant I basically didn't hear about it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
H&M is lower on my list than some of the others because I'm not certain it really elevates itself above its source material in the way that either Lion (Shaft predictably injected a lot of great style and art direction into it, as showcased by some .gifs in this thread) and Yuru Camp (which I'd call a straight up improvement over the crosshatching in the manga). I love how the manga for H&M looks and the anime feels a little sanitized in some ways. It's still very good though, and Mayumi Shintani as Jada is a particularly great casting that of course you would not have in the manga.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

kater posted:

In case I forget but I probably won’t but since I’m doing this I probably won’t change it

Bloom into you
Place further than the universe
Adopted mob psychic homeless orphan school kid bartender thing I’m sorry I tried to change this to the real name but I just can’t hinamatsuri?
Himote house
March comes in like a lion

I made this list on my phone at 3am after drinking it obviously doesn't count. Also I was obviously swayed by what was the best anime of 2018, that isn't important for... oh thats the thread title huh. Like it isn't fair that A Place Further Than The Universe is so good. It really just isn't.

Top 5. Let's go.

1. March Comes In Like A Lion. I guess I am completely incapable of saying something else. gently caress.
2. I dunno... Tie between like thirty shows? I thought twenty but then I counted and no like thirty. At least. Maybe forty. 2018 loving ruled yall. So I guess the list is fine. No matter what it's all picking babies not to drown.

ToxicToast posted:

2. High Score Girl - Just finished watching this and probably would have never watched it period if it was not on Netflix. I remember hearing about it and being interested in the setting but hated the art style and character looks. I'm glad I gave it a chance though because this was the biggest shot of memeber berries I have had this entire year. I feel like this this is a show that does better as an anime than a manga because hearing all those classic video game sounds and the Playstation start up really had me going. The main girl being completely silent and only really seeing her feelings through her face and video game playing was an interesting concept. Also loved spirit guide Guile. The ending was also such a cliff hanger it me want to go straight into the manga, something few anime do.

Forgetting about High Score Girl is what made me want to redo my list. That show was brilliant. I feel like I've crossed the rubicon on dismissing cheap CGI shows. Between Kemono Friends, Himote House, Hi Score Girl, and now Kemurikusa like... they just look good to me. I can objectively understand that it is budgety and could be better. And I can see when it is actually really good like in Land of the Lustrous. But I guess it just works as a style for me now. There's nothing worse about it than something like Anima Yell!, which also wasn't bad looking despite obviously being bad looking. I don't know. Anyways High Score Girl was great and definitely should be watched more. There's going to be OVAs sometime this year to finish it up too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

I thought Violet Evergarden looked kind of bad. KyoAni's strength has always been character animation and all the overexposed bloom hid the subtle character expressions and didn't look that good to me. Like objectively the art quality is always insanely high but i'm not a fan of the direction they took that art in at all.

:psyduck:

I seriously don't understand. Every opinion stated about VE so far has been the exact opposite of mine. Am I the odd one out here?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it takes all kinds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

:psyduck:

I seriously don't understand. Every opinion stated about VE so far has been the exact opposite of mine. Am I the odd one out here?
sometimes people have different opinions

and obviously plenty of people, both here and elsewhere, dig evergarden

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Every year I watch less and less currently airing anime. This is a trend that I can only see continuing for the foreseeable future. Alas, I did barely squeeze in enough shows in order to make a top 5 list.

5. MHA s3: I remember being pretty disappointed in the slow pace of the first season of MHA. Thankfully it picked up in the second season and the faster pace carries on into the third. It has a lot of likable characters and I hope the show continues to be good for a while.

4.Megalobox: In this show a man proves the dominance of the human body and spirit by beating up a bunch of cyborg cucks with his bare hands. The only show this year where I was glued to the screen the entire time wanting to know what happens next. I'm only a little familiar with the ashita no joe manga but I think its a good re-imagining of the source characters at least.

3. A Place Further than the Universe: I was really pleasantly surprised by this show. It's not a show I would normally watch but my interest was piqued by the overwhelming and very positive word of mouth for it. The character writing in it is really good in how it is presented, with a certain subtlety that I find to be rare in anime. It is beautifully directed and I love that opening.

2. Devilman Crybaby: I love how divisive this show is. It certainly appears to be a love it or hate kind of thing and I definitely fall into the love camp. I watched Cryman at the start of the year and it is one of the few anime that I still catch myself regularly thinking about. I understand a lot of the criticisms for it but I absolutely do not give a gently caress. I was 100% into what Devilbaby was putting down. The Devilman manga ending is a classic and I'm glad that they represented it in the anime as well as adding the battle between Satan and the Crymen army. That was cool as gently caress.

1. March Comes in like a Lion s2: March Lion is so goddamn good I don't think I can say anything about it that hasn't already been said. Shaft does a fantastic job with it and Rie's journey is enthralling and I find myself cheering him on constantly. I need more of this.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

H&M is lower on my list than some of the others because I'm not certain it really elevates itself above its source material in the way that either Lion (Shaft predictably injected a lot of great style and art direction into it, as showcased by some .gifs in this thread) and Yuru Camp (which I'd call a straight up improvement over the crosshatching in the manga). I love how the manga for H&M looks and the anime feels a little sanitized in some ways. It's still very good though, and Mayumi Shintani as Jada is a particularly great casting that of course you would not have in the manga.

I've only read some of the manga, but the timing, voice acting, and music in the show were all great. The ED is an amazing journey through planning a picnic that sounds like a feast from Redwall.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
5. today's menu for the emiya family
for best use of lancer

4. akanesasu shoujo

For musical album art of the year.

3. Revue Starlight
This is

2. A Place Further than the Universe
For best post credits after singer

1. ssss Gridman
For character I related to most in an anime this year, Akane, which probably means I have some problems oh well it was a great show, made me laugh and made me cry. one thumb up, i can only give one thumb up because i only got one thumb!! that is a lie

honorable mention:
devilman crybaby - for show that made me cry the most but still wasn't good enough to get on my list

e: hinamatsuri - was pretty funny but i will never forgive the show for not including Hina's actress arc

ee: oh yeah liz and the blue bird was a good movie

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 13, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

updated top 5 because i watched himote house

1. aikatsu stars
2. akanesasu shoujo
3. a place further than the universe
4. ssss gridman
5. himote house

sorry to revue, which is still a show i really dug. and also planet with which i considered bumping gridman out for upon rethinking this but i didnt wanna make two changes so

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Snooze Cruise posted:

3. Revue Starlight
This is

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Homura and Sickle posted:

This was such an insanely strong year for anime this list was honestly hard to compile. I ended up ultimately leaning heavily on comedies because this year was chock full of them and honestly there usually aren't that many great anime comedies, usually only good at best ones. I tried to pick from all seasons to avoid recency bias.

1. A Place Further Than The Universe
This is pretty much a perfect show, beautiful, funny, melancholy all at the same time. The characters are all insanely endearing and the central story about Shirase is heartbreaking in the best possible way for entertainment. Also the one rare good opinion piece by New York Times named this one of the best shows of the year and it's nice to agree with the paper of record for once.

2. Zombieland Saga
This was only narrowly edged out by Antarctica for a couple episodes that weren't purely amazing but this show is probably the most memorable of all of 2018. Incredible combination of genuinely touching pathos and over the top comedy that can only come from pure commitment to very stupid jokes, Zombieland Saga is a treasure I will never forget and look forward to a second season immensely.

3. Hinamatsuri
I'm a huge fan of dry comedy and Hinamatsuri delivered that in witty spades. Easily the funniest anime this year and one of the funniest I have ever seen, this show's great characters and masterful performances have etched a place in my heart.

4. Pop Team Epic
One of the most artistically interesting and audacious anime in years, this reminded me of the brilliance and magic of Space Dandy. Just letting young, talented creators do whatever the gently caress they want with material can be a perfect recipe for success (or disaster, e.g. most episodes of 18if, which did have flashes of brilliance). This daring, incredibly stupid anime is a remarkable and probably impossible to reproduce experiment that I will love always. Also very funny.

5. Asobi Asobase
Other than the terrible handling of a trans character, I loved the comedic sensibility in this anime. I don't have too much to say about this one other than it was incredibly funny, but it was the only one that was appointment viewing when it aired like the rest of my list.

Homura and Sickle posted:

I really dug akanesasu shoujo but I'm honestly surprised it's on so many best of lists

so sorry to vote counters but i finished the last 2 episodes of akanesasu shoujo and retract this statement. that ending was extremely good. new top 5:

2. Zombieland Saga
3. Hinamatsuri
4. Pop Team Epic
5. Akanesasu Shoujo

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I guess I'll throw together a list before the deadline hits.

5) Bloom Into You - I might have skipped out on this one otherwise, but I used it as an excuse to check out Sentai's new dub casts after VRV added HiDive to their lineup. Both the show and the dub were excellent.

4) Teasing Master Takagi-San - Sometimes you just need a :3: show, and this fit that nicely. I saw some people say they avoided this one because it sounded like a bullying show, but it wasn't really. It's really just pre-teens awkwardly crushing on one another and it's very sweet and adorable.

3) Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - Full disclosure: I still need to finish this one but unless it really shits the bed hard in the last two episodes I think it belongs here. Great characters in this one, especially the lead couple.

2) A Place Further Than the Universe - This is going to be the overall #1 and it totally deserves it for its wonderful characters and story, but I just had to put the next show at the top of my own list.

1) Asobi Asobase - This was the only show I made sure to watch as soon as an episode was released. This is probably the most consistently funny anime comedy I have ever seen with each episode delivering multiple belly laughs. I loved these little monsters and I hope we see another season.

Honorable mentions go to High Score, Lupin Part 5, Hanebado, Gridman and Zombie Land Saga. My watch list also includes Devilman Crybaby, Violet Evergarden, Steins;Gate 0 and Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory but those will have to wait until whenever I get around to them.

Rheya
Mar 30, 2010
I mostly just lurk here but well, I did write this apparently.

I guess I'm just echoing a lot of sentiments here but I do feel that this show really deserves all the praise. I did not expect how grounded and believable a show about high schoolers going to Antarctica could feel but this really knocked it out of the park in pretty much every way. Wonderful characters with incredibly fun and interesting dynamics between them, great emotional payoff, queer moms, etc. Initially I found the characters a bit glossy-looking but ended up really loving the animation as well.

2. Bloom Into You
This was the first time for me that I watched an anime with prior knowledge of the manga and I was pretty skeptical of this adaptation. I had a hard time imagining a good ending point because it's a slowly unfolding story that doesn't really divide neatly into arcs. It also took me some time to warm up and get invested in the manga itself (though it has become one of my favorites by now) so I wasn't sure about how just the earlier parts would play.
In the end, from the first episode on, I found this to be an incredibly faithful adaptation of the material that through consistently amazing voice acting by the two leads really elevated many of the scenes for me. The anime made me appreciate Yuu as a character a lot more because I got a much better sense of her development and her feelings whereas in the manga I ended up being more fascinated by Touko. I loved the OP/ED as well as their coupling tracks, too. Best close-up shots of eyes of the year.

3. Aikatsu Stars!
I got pretty into idol stuff over the course of 2018 and eventually also landed on this franchise. I chose to watch this because it had a slightly less intimidating episode count than original Aikatsu and I saw some pictures from it that made me curious.
This show ended up starting pretty strong (Rock! Rock Girls! is like episode 6 and still one of my faves) and only got better over time as characters were fleshed out more and new ones were introduced that I for the most part ended up liking a lot. There was a real joyous quality to watching this and so many episodes felt genuinely fun and creative and utilized the potential of the setting in inventive ways as well as being incredibly funny. I also ended up liking a pretty decent number of the songs.

4. citrus
I avoided watching this for a while because most of the discourse surrounding it that reached me cast it in a pretty negative light but I'm glad I ended up giving it a chance. It definitely has issues and I wouldn't begrudge anyone bouncing off of it from some of the uncomfortable early scenes. For me, I ended up becoming completely invested in the melodrama in a way I did not at all expect as well as utterly loving Yuzu as a character. It was great to have a femme/gyaru protag in a lesbian romance story and I enjoyed her determination and active approach. I had not been exposed to much lesbian anime or manga before watching citrus in early 2018 so it ended up being pretty meaningful for me in a representation sense. After finishing the show, I got into the manga and then into all kinds of other yuri manga from there (I wasn't much of a manga reader before) so it ended up having a noticeable impact on my 2018.

5. Yuru Camp
For me, this ended up being a bit hit-and-miss.
Anything involving Rin by herself and the duo of Rin and Nadeshiko was incredibly well done and some of my favorite anime content of the year but most of the stuff involving the club, group camping and other characters did not click with me nearly as much and I ended up wishing the show had been made up of just the former.

Some Honorable Mentions:

Liz and the Blue Bird - I'm not sure if movies are eligible for votes but this completely blew me away. So much is communicated through body language, music and sounds. Pretty much everything about the feel and vibe of this movie clicked for me and I was absolutely absorbed in those long dialogue-free sequences and wanted to rewatch them immediately after it was over. Really loved the updated Hibike character designs, too.

Harukana Receive & Hanebado! - I always want more sports shows about women and both of these ended up being pretty enjoyable to me. Harukana was pretty solid throughout whereas it took me a while to get into the serious tone of Hanebado but the final match there featured some really evocative and fascinating visuals that I didn't expect from the show at all. It also played its part in motivating me to go back to playing badminton myself, so hey, neat.

BanG Dream! Garupa Pico - I liked how absurd and silly some of the episodes got but it ended up leaning too much into the "killing off" characters gimmick in the end.

Comic Girls - I loved how this looked and some of the early episodes about Koyume's feelings or Ruki's audience made me hopeful the show would explore those aspects more but it never really returned to any of the stuff I found most interesting and a lot of the comedy also ended up feeling pretty generic and like it stood in the way of actual character development.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rheya posted:

I mostly just lurk here but well, I did write this apparently.

Please post more often!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

from yuri manga you should start reading yuri doujins

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

Please post more often!

:yeah:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If there's one thing that Violet Evergarden does do well, it is eyeballs. Not sure there is a clear winner.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
1. A Place Further Than The Universe - I did not expect a series about 4 girls going to Antarctica to be this great. The main characters are extremely compelling, with every one having great personalities and stories to tell. Not only that, but all the side character are great as well.
The music and direction are extremely well done, and each insert song is used very well. Not to mention the insert song at the end of episode 12, which slayed me.
This came out of nowhere to be my one of my favorite series of all time. Might be even the top.

2. Zombieland Saga - Extremely interesting combo of genres and shouldn't have worked so well. The first episodes sold the series hard with the different music genres, with the character's stories being the main focus afterwards. Episode 8 was great, and it's nice to see a trans character being accepted as matter of fact in Japanese media.
Kotaro's voice work was amazing and also really added to the series. Can't wait for season 2. (Okabe LOL)

3. Hinamatsuri - One of the the funniest series of the year. A great adaptation of the manga that really sold the deadpan humor not really found other anime. Too bad a lot of the other materials were skipped, but what was adapted worked really well.

4. Asobi Asobase - The other funniest show. It's just fun watching the character be extreme assholes to each other. Has the best closing.

5. Harukana Receive - Sports anime of the year. This was done very competently, and really got me into Beach Volleyball. Each pair of players are great in their own way, and Kanata's story really got me into the show.

Honorable mentions:
Hanebado! - Great animation but a little too drama heavy. Glad the best character won in the end, unlike the manga

Planet With - Everything done well, with a nice twist, but didn't catch me as well as my top 5.

Disappointment of the year:
Amanchu! Advance - Boring and invalidated the character dynamic of the first season. This basically doesn't exist for me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
2018 was a pretty good year for Anime releases, so much so that I regret not being able to give enough of the standout shows enough time to watch them fully and form a proper opinion of them all.

I can't exactly say I'm satisfied, having some significant gaps in my viewing list, but I felt that I should still give mention to the top shows that I watched.

Honorable mentions go to March comes in like a lion, which for the second year in a row, probably would have made my top list if I had fully committed to it, and similarly, Planet With, which would probably have made the top list as well.

I also want to give a shoutout to Hugtto Precure. While disqualified despite 95% of the show airing in 2018, it was was one of the most enjoyable shows that I watched this year-from the lighthearted and goofy comedy, to the occasionally well-directed episodes and action scenes, to the actual tender moments of earnest love depicted between characters and the struggles we face as we work towards an uncertain future. There's a possible chance this will go onto my AOTY 2019 list, and I want more people to be aware of how good and meaningful shows can be, even if they're longrunning children's shows.

Anyways, onto my top 5

5. Agrettsuko (ONA): A show about women finding the power to get through everyday-while the beats can be pretty hit or miss, I did empathize with the titular character strongly, and It helped put my own life and happiness in perspective a little bit.

4..SSSS.Gridman: Not only is this a love letter to the tokusatsu medium, it's also a redemption story for our villain, which is always one of my favorite kind of stories. There's a lot to say about this show and not much time, so I'll just say that this is an excellent introduction to the medium, has great music and fun action scenes, plus a lot of subtle details to look for.

3.Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight: This show has a fantastic aesthetic, and while I felt some of the character arcs dropped the ball, the main characters all performed their role in this stage performance admirably, and I enjoyed the songs and action choreography thoroughly.

2.Asobi Asobase: While a lot of the humor can be mean spirited, the comedy in this show was excellent save for a small handful of skits, and Episode 4 was the hardest I think that i've ever laughed at an Anime comedy. A lot of these scenes will be stuck in my head for years to come, and will help cheer me up a bit whenever I need a good laugh.

1.A Place Further than the Universe: This may be the stereotypical top pick of ADTRW, but for very good reason-this show has fantastic directing, animation, comedy, attention to detail, and is just a refreshing breath of fresh air in comparison to many other shows that wind up falling into a mold, a sea of similar shows that don't stand out from the pack. The character moments were especially touching, and the double whammy of episodes 11 and 12 cemented this show as a favorite of mine for years to come.

Julias fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 13, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cutoff post.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://enquete.nicovideo.jp/result/170

NicoNico has the results of their survey for best anime of the year.

10: Bloom into You (3.73%)
9: Asobase (4.17%)
8: Jojo Part 5 (4.84%)
7: Goblin Slayer (5.93%)
6: pop team epic (6.90%)
5: Cells at Work (7.42%)
4: Yuru Camp (8.64%)
3: Antarctica (8.96%)
2: Gridman (8.98%)
1: Zombieland (13.33%)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

https://enquete.nicovideo.jp/result/170

NicoNico has the results of their survey for best anime of the year.

10: Bloom into You (3.73%)
9: Asobase (4.17%)
8: Jojo Part 5 (4.84%)
7: Goblin Slayer (5.93%)
6: pop team epic (6.90%)
5: Cells at Work (7.42%)
4: Yuru Camp (8.64%)
3: Antarctica (8.96%)
2: Gridman (8.98%)
1: Zombieland (13.33%)

Pretty strong list, I'd say.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gender breakdown is also interesting.
Men:
10: Umamusume (3.77%)
9: Asobase (4.10%)
8: Jojo (4.18%)
7: Cells at Work (4.45%)
6: Pop Team Epic (5.16%)
5: Goblin Slayer (6.75%)
4: Yuru Camp (10.09%)
3: Gridman (10.13%)
2: Antartica (10.28%)
1: Zombieland Saga (14.20%)

Women:
10: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (4.21%)
9: Antartica (4.28%)
8: Attack on Titan (4.37%)
7: Asobase (4.43%)
6: Gridman (4.94%)
5: Golden Kamuy (5.83%)
4: Jojo (7.17%)
3: Zombieland Saga (10.27%)
2: Pop Team Epic (13.05%)
1: Cells at Work (17.91%)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Little surprised that Antarctica is so much higher on the men's list than the women's. Also interesting seeing Slime sneak on to the women's list.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Little surprised that Antarctica is so much higher on the men's list than the women's. Also interesting seeing Slime sneak on to the women's list.

Everybody wants to hold the slime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I didn't put in the vote weights at time of first recording the votes, so I'm working on that but in the meantime the unweighted top 10 is:

10. Megalobox with 13 votes

9. Bloom Into You with 15 votes

8. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai with 18 votes

7. Pop Team Epic with 19 votes

6. March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season with 21 votes

5. Zombieland Saga with 23 votes

4. Hinamatsuri & Devilman Crybaby both with 26 votes

3. Yuru Camp with 33 votes

2. SSSS.Gridman with 37 votes

1. A Place Further Than The Universe with 52 votes

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

That's a pretty good list.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
somehow doesn't have niconico's #7 anime of the year GOBLIN SLAYER on it, that's weird

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd switch Megalobox or Hakumei & Mikocchi for Goblin Slayer there, but yeah, NicoNico has a pretty strong list.

dogsicle posted:

I didn't put in the vote weights at time of first recording the votes, so I'm working on that but in the meantime the unweighted top 10 is:
  • 10. Megalobox with 13 votes
  • 9. Bloom Into You with 15 votes
  • 8. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai with 18 votes
  • 7. Pop Team Epic with 19 votes
  • 6. March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season with 21 votes
  • 5. Zombieland Saga with 23 votes
  • 4. Hinamatsuri & Devilman Crybaby both with 26 votes
  • 3. Yuru Camp with 33 votes
  • 2. SSSS.Gridman with 37 votes
  • 1. A Place Further Than The Universe with 52 votes
That's a drat strong, golden-nugget year if you ask me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The niconico list is funny because the older you got the more you appreciated A place further than the universe. Zombies were too powerful though, winning all age groups except for people 50+

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Antarctica is definitely a show for older, more 'normal' people. This is also probably why it was higher in the guys poll, I have an easier time imagining 40-50 year old dudes still using niconico than 40-50 year old women.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I have an easier time imagining 40-50 year old dudes still using niconico than 40-50 year old women.

Ah, yeah, I hadn't thought of this but it makes sense.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I hope someone makes that chart from last year that put eveyone who voted on a chart based on what they voted for, it was neat to see who your tastes aligned with

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Expect My Mom posted:

I hope someone makes that chart from last year that put eveyone who voted on a chart based on what they voted for, it was neat to see who your tastes aligned with

e: Whoops. Didnt realize there was even a cutoff for this. Lol. Oh well, read my boring poo poo anyway

Oh that sounds cool so I better get off my rear end and write up my favs

1.) Hinamatsuri - Charming, funny and touches your heart from time to time. The full package. Im in love with the comic so I went in thinking that even if it was just a basic adaptation it would be AOTY but we ended up getting something wonderful.

2.) Cells at Work - Im a big fan of edutainment and this does it well

3.) Tonegawa - Im a complete Fukumoto-head and I was dying to watch this since scans of the comic died out after like chapter 4. It delivered!

4.) Dragon Ball Super - It took me a long time to finally start watching this, and it was alright. Hard to say more than that because for every gigantic peak there was a pretty boring valley.

Well, I didnt watch a heck of a lot of anime this year. I saw a LOT of episode 1s but I didnt stick with Lupin, Megalobox, Nu-LOGH, Asobi Asobase, Golden Kamuy or Darling in the Franxx for various reasons. I just didnt get invested in Lupin or Asobi, Megalobox looks great but Ill stash it away for when I want to scratch that particular itch, Franxx just seemed like it would go south and I guess it did, and Im already familiar with Kamuy and LOGH and the adaptations just didnt seem good enough to keep going when I already know the story.

I saw Grand Blue too, but that was so disappointing as an adaptation that I put it as my only vote in the worst anime thread.

Judging from everyones posts I really gotta watch A Place Further than the Universe. Ive always had a romantic view of Anartica so it sounds exactly up my alley

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 14, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Judging from everyones posts I really gotta watch A Place Further than the Universe. Ive always had a romantic view of Anartica so it sounds exactly up my alley

Odds on bet you'll like it.

You know, looking back, we should have seen this year being an absolute monster coming from the start. When the first show out of the gate is A Place Further than the Universe, everybody else really had to up their game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Expect My Mom posted:

I need the raw dataset

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
1. High Score Girl - Got me with the nostalgia, stayed for the characters who are all kinds of good. Really solid
2. Dragon Ball Super - The finale of the ToP arc was excellent.
3 Cells at work - Great and cute edutainment show.
4. Castlevania Season 2 - Solid all the way through. Really ramped up at the end.
5. Hinamatsuri- Absolutely hilarious. Had me laughing out loud for real at multiple moments.

Good but haven’t finished watching yet:
A place further than the universe, The ancient magus’s bride, Bloom into you, Mr Tonegawa, Bunny girl senpai, Yuru Camp, Emiya Gohan and Zombieland Saga,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fangz posted:

I need the raw dataset

Hopefully this works lol. I've been counting with the only piece from Anaconda's sheet I could get working on short notice

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pBef3e-EK2kk6r_6ll3UglwCYVVAWH0B7otH31utXhM/edit?usp=sharing