Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ad090 posted:

Another problem I see often in ME is the "good" races are a lot of the time at war with each other for some reason, while the vamps/delfs/greenskins/norscans ally up and pick off the good guys.
Art imitates reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Anyone else had Vortex campaign Skaven not being able to progress with rituals? It's my second campaign with Vortex ritual faction and I don't think I had anyone else fail a ritual without my intervention.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I've tried out ME post-Vamps with both Allarielle and Karl Franz and yeah, I agree with that sentiment.

Ulthuan is super-boring in general and the Old World gets eaten by Vampires.

It was fun as the Empire at least, but the Empire is always fun to play and feels under siege, having Saltspite coming from the south (in addition to the Greenskins!) and the grey tide from the west add to the difficulty, but yeah, I think Bretonnia in particular is too passive against their outside threats and the Empire provinces are very vulnerable to other factions since the whole region is under siege by everything and there's only one LL with an improved autoresolve. It' a shame neither survives past the mid-game without player intervention.

One easy improvement would be for Noctilus to start at war with Yvresse in the ME campaign too, which would add some variety to boring island and relieve a bit of the pressure on Estalia/Bretonnia. The Lizardrat DLC in late 2019 should help with the situation in the Old World (assuming Clan Skyre is the DLC faction), by offering a foil to Vampirates and adding another contender for the thunderdome and the Lizardman Lord in Itza (I assume that ten-slot city is for someone) should challenge Luthor Harkon. If a Lizardman FreeLC lord is being added to Albion like people are speculating that should actually help the Empire and the main Bretonnia faction, since they'd give Norsca a hard time.

Anyways, I do think there will still be too many vampires just from factions with Legendary Lords having autoresolve bonuses. Between VC and VC there are seven start positions, humans get four (3 in Bret, 1 in Empire), Dwarfs have 3, Elves have 8 (and they dominate the north and west of the map), Chaos has 4 (Beastmen, Norsca and WoC), Greenskins have 3 (and are a hug-box), Tomb Kings have four (so 11 for undead as a set), Skaven have 3 (and terrible autoresolve) and Lizardmen only get 2.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just had a norscan army walk right through Phoenix Gate into Avelorn what the fuuuuuck

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I just had a norscan army walk right through Phoenix Gate into Avelorn what the fuuuuuck

Sorry that was me my bad, gotta clean out this elf infestation.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
In my last beastmen game the followers of Nagash were allied with Khemri. I had to do a double-take at the diplomacy screen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

peer posted:

if you want to make a vampires/kemmler campaign more interesting and flavourful, get the "Bloodlines: Rare Vampires" mod which disables recruitment of generic (ie, non-bloodline) vampire lords

This is probably a very good idea and gives you a reason to ever hire necromancer lords

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I've finished Aranessa to my satisfaction and decided to install SFO since everyone sings its praises and I've done 250 hours of vanilla, done every campaign but Skaven and Lizards so I figured it would be a good alternative. Maybe I'm just frustrated in general by other things today but my initial reaction is that it seems like the modders took inspiration from the worst parts of Attila by adding shitloads of buildings with various +3% to x improvements and overlapping functions, along with kind of opaque mechanics (like why do orks need greentide when they already have fightiness)? I just sort of quit because I didn't feel like relearning all the systems, but am I being unfair? How intrusive are they? I'm interested in the new units and stuff but like, starting out as Azhag, I have Black Crag with 10 building slots and seventeen possible buildings, some of which have seemingly arbitrary negative traits attached to them, and I'm getting giant penalties for not being greentide enough.

are all the factions like this? I played Empire a lot in SFO, either in an earlier version or for WH1 (can't remember) and I recall enjoying it a lot, but for one of the easiest starts with the easiest factions there is a shitload of stuff happening around black rock.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did something happen with CeltiK? I heard he pulled all his mods and has gone radio silent.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Arglebargle III posted:

Unless you're at war with the Elves, pretty sure those gates don't stop you from moving across them. You can also siege them with one army and walk everyone else through them, even if you're at war with the owner. They are really badly implemented.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What Skaven ability lets the AI spawn a new unit of Clanrats out of the ground every 5-10 seconds over the course of a whole battle?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What Skaven ability lets the AI spawn a new unit of Clanrats out of the ground every 5-10 seconds over the course of a whole battle?

The Tides Below. Skaven generally have 3 or so uses of it, increasing for the amount of Skaven Corruption in the area

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Tides Below. Skaven generally have 3 or so uses of it, increasing for the amount of Skaven Corruption in the area

And the amount of food they pump into it pre-battle I believe. I imagine the AI doesn't skimp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rhjamiz posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

And the amount of food they pump into it pre-battle I believe. I imagine the AI doesn't skimp.
Well whatever they did to prepare they created at least half an army of extra clanrats. I killed 12 spawns in my backline, at least. I lost count after 7 or 8. It made what should have been an easy to win battle a Close Victory and completely ruined my plans. Oh and the city I was sieging, that sallied, showed no losses to their garrison :thumbsup:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Well whatever they did to prepare they created at least half an army of extra clanrats. I killed 12 spawns in my backline, at least. I lost count after 7 or 8. It made what should have been an easy to win battle a Close Victory and completely ruined my plans. Oh and the city I was sieging, that sallied, showed no losses to their garrison :thumbsup:

Oh yeah if you were fighting Skaven on their own turf then that will equal a lot of extra summons. Also were you fighting Queek, he gets extra uses. The Skaven Casters also have spells that can summon extra rats.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 14, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh yeah if you were fighting Skaven on their own turf then that will equal a lot of extra summons. Also were you fighting Queek, he gets extra uses. The Skaven Casters also have spells that can summon extra rats.
Wow, thank you for the info - Yes I am fighting Queek. I think I'm just going to withdraw from this area of the map, its just not worth the headache. I'm playing as Karak Kadrin but I'm all the way down in the "Charnel Valley" searching for Karak Zorn while I try to help my ally The Last Defenders against Queek.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost because this is funny after the Vampire discussion on this page:

Yes that is Kemmler in Eilhart and Grunburg, with VC in Averheim and Crooked Moon in Wissenburg.

Also here is my Karak Kadrin after 73 turns:

I finally finished off the Greenskins so no more loving Wurzag Da Great Green Prophet or whatever his poison name is, but now I get some event about an Orcish migration happening?

loving 'Dwarfs' wont Confederate. Should I consider breaking all of my agreements with them so I can just eat them? I am tired of waiting and I heard their Legendary Lord has some good buffs, but this is getting ridiculous. The first Chaos events just started, maybe that will change their tune?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 14, 2019

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

loving 'Dwarfs' wont Confederate. Should I consider breaking all of my agreements with them so I can just eat them? I am tired of waiting and I heard their Legendary Lord has some good buffs, but this is getting ridiculous. The first Chaos events just started, maybe that will change their tune?

Yeah once you start loving up Chaos everyone will love you.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

No matter how much a faction likes you, they will not confederate if they are not threatened by an enemy. It's stupid and creates a lot of perverse incentives to not help allies.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I dont know posted:

No matter how much a faction likes you, they will not confederate if they are not threatened by an enemy. It's stupid and creates a lot of perverse incentives to not help allies.

The system in general is pretty bad and yeah, there are a few exceptions.

Wood Elves will only be open to confederation after the Oak of Ages is upgraded to a certain level, no matter their threat level.

Norcans offer confederation if you beat their leader in battle.

Bretonnians confederate from technology as soon as it is researched.

Tomb Kings and Zombie Pirates don't confederate at all in an unmodded game.

Might be confirmation bias, but I've found that when the big Chaos Invasion triggers (the one with Archaon, Kholek, Sigvald and Big Bird) minor factions become much more pliable to confederation. Maybe it's just that the Warriors of Chaos faction declares war on all the order factions with backing of everything Norsca and Beastmen, so all those factions feel very threatened from the power factor alone instead of a specific script to make them willing to confederate.

Anyways, I think the other factions could do with having special rules for their confederations like the ones above.

Drunk Flamingo's Empire of Man mod adds a loyalty system to the Empire (and adds a bunch of events that let you influence loyalties), giving you automatic confederations once it reaches a certain level, it feels like a pretty great mini-expansion for the faction, specially combined with Mixu's Lords of the Old World that introduces all the electors.

Greenskins should just copy and paste the system from Norsca, there's a mod that does that for them and hopefully that's implemented when they get their game 2 rework.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I dont know posted:

It’s a crappy solution that requires restraint which can be hard for me, but I use a mod that allows you to cheese diplomacy by offering money to guarantee an automatic yes to anything, and only turn it on to confederate rump kingdoms when they’re not threatened enough despite being one besieged region or something

WH2 is easily my favorite TW besides maybe medieval 2 but lol it kinda needs a lot of mods to be really good. Just like M2

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If you want people to confederate with you then send them gifts and don't ever get into an alliance with them. Confederation takes power into account and being allies means your power counts as their power as well. I have never allied people I wanted to confed with as Dwarves and Elves and never had an issue as long as they were in the +200 relationship territory with me.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Norsca or Beastmen or Kemmler if I want to burn Ulthuan to the ground?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Devorum posted:

Norsca or Beastmen or Kemmler if I want to burn Ulthuan to the ground?

Yeah

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I will say from experience if your going to burn ulthuan as norsca you'll be in for a rough time as your beefy shirtless berserkers get to meet all the varieties of archers and your big monsters aren't well armored either and are going against all spearmen/archer armies.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I will say from experience if your going to burn ulthuan as norsca you'll be in for a rough time as your beefy shirtless berserkers get to meet all the varieties of archers and your big monsters aren't well armored either and are going against all spearmen/archer armies.

doggos to the rescue

you're right though in my norsca game my campaign ground to halt against some seriously powerful HE armies, including tyrion with the sword. just shattered me. thankfully the AI can't plan, rebuild, or expand its armies in a cogent manner so i ground him down

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Suddenly I'm reminded how much I hate the Beastmen's slooooow horde mechanic. Seems like forever before I can field a decent army.

Maybe I'll try Kemmler's new start.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

It's easier to burn Ulthuan to the ground as Norsca if we just make nice with all the vampires and Maliketh at least. Stomp around Kislev and Bretonnia for a bit and they'll happily follow you to Ulthuan. Or at least they did in my game. After I landed on their shores, my ally Maliketh came in with like, four or five armies and him and Kemmler just carved a path of ruin across the place while I made for the capital.

The wood elves are worse. So much worse.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Frog Act posted:

so I've finished Aranessa to my satisfaction and decided to install SFO since everyone sings its praises and I've done 250 hours of vanilla, done every campaign but Skaven and Lizards so I figured it would be a good alternative. Maybe I'm just frustrated in general by other things today but my initial reaction is that it seems like the modders took inspiration from the worst parts of Attila by adding shitloads of buildings with various +3% to x improvements and overlapping functions, along with kind of opaque mechanics (like why do orks need greentide when they already have fightiness)? I just sort of quit because I didn't feel like relearning all the systems, but am I being unfair? How intrusive are they? I'm interested in the new units and stuff but like, starting out as Azhag, I have Black Crag with 10 building slots and seventeen possible buildings, some of which have seemingly arbitrary negative traits attached to them, and I'm getting giant penalties for not being greentide enough.

are all the factions like this? I played Empire a lot in SFO, either in an earlier version or for WH1 (can't remember) and I recall enjoying it a lot, but for one of the easiest starts with the easiest factions there is a shitload of stuff happening around black rock.

Give it a fair go, IMO. Most of the systems I've seen (mainly as Dwarfs) are there to add more depth to the very shallow strategic game of vanilla WH1/2, as opposed to being necessary to learn like in Attila or RTW2.

Panfilo posted:

Did something happen with CeltiK? I heard he pulled all his mods and has gone radio silent.

Burnout from modding. He says he'll be back eventually.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rhjamiz posted:

The wood elves are worse. So much worse.

loving wood elves are why I gave up my Kemmler run. The only way to win any fight against them reliably was to bring multiple armies of zombies to just eat all their arrows and eventually bog them down. 76 stacks of zombies, 4 necromancers for cheap horde spam, in 4 armies was the minimum to reliably win a fight with a single full elf army. Anything aside from armoured shielded cavalry is either too squishy or too slow to deal with them worth a drat.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MohawkSatan posted:

loving wood elves are why I gave up my Kemmler run. The only way to win any fight against them reliably was to bring multiple armies of zombies to just eat all their arrows and eventually bog them down. 76 stacks of zombies, 4 necromancers for cheap horde spam, in 4 armies was the minimum to reliably win a fight with a single full elf army. Anything aside from armoured shielded cavalry is either too squishy or too slow to deal with them worth a drat.

I feel like you shouldn't be using zombies at all as kemmler. Those things cost money!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

kidkissinger posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be using zombies at all as kemmler. Those things cost money!

Barely. Really, after taking almost all of Brettonia (vampirates snatched up one area before I did), I was able to afford to raise 100 stacks worth of zombies a turn. Basically 5 armies worth, every loving turn. There was a nonstop train of zombies wearing down the elves by attrition, but with needing to fight every battle manually because of how much value autoresolve gave wood elves vs fuckin anything, and dealing with at least four 45 minutes slogs every turn, it wasn't worth bothering anymore.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
A 'stack' is an army, not a unit. smh at this faux pas.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A stack is the thing denoted by a lord on the campaign map. 20 cards (aka units) to a single stack.

2000 zombie cards/units is a lot of zombies.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Or you could get a hero, park rest of your units outside knife-ears range and do a "dodge a fuckton of arrows" dance with your hero. Then zombies eat them.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m confused as to why you’d stack zombies instead of skeleton warriors as kemmler? They cost the same upkeep (0) and skeleton warriors have shields + better melee attack. Seems better against wood elves.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ammanas posted:

Yeah once you start loving up Chaos everyone will love you.
Thanks... thats what I figured but I was worried that maybe the Dwarfs worked differently because even when they had 4 settlements, a tiny army, and two of their settlements were under siege they would not confederate. Then Karak Azul, while I had a Defensive Alliance with them, were willing to confederate. Then once I took Karak Eight Peaks the Dwarf guy who is the One True King of Karak Eight Peaks confederated and gave me all his money to do so..... so because of that stuff I was worried that there were triggers or something. Once I finish killing off the Border Princes they will only border me so if I break the defensive alliance maybe they will be willing once Chaos ramps up.

I dont know posted:

Yeah I learned that the hard way in my first ever game, as Empire. No Defensive Alliances, ever. I should have never bothered with Dwarfs, but when Karak Azul was willing while I had an alliance with them, I figured why not?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Give it a fair go, IMO. Most of the systems I've seen (mainly as Dwarfs) are there to add more depth to the very shallow strategic game of vanilla WH1/2, as opposed to being necessary to learn like in Attila or RTW2.

Burnout from modding. He says he'll be back eventually.

yeah I started a H/N Dwarf campaign after making that complainy post and it seems like an all-around improvement. Having one recruitment slot is lore-appropriate, the orks are more aggressive than they usually are in vanilla (raided me a few times, snuck under the mountains when Grombrindal was off fighting the first mission and taking gunbad, etc) so I'm looking forward to a good campaign. Dwarfs are always my favorite in this game, I always end up coming back to them for fun campaigns because I love the feeling of marching my badass, outrageously high-tech armies out of the mountains in order to intervene on behalf of the low-land people. SFO seems to make the battles meatier, too, like units break, retreat, and reform a lot more than they used to.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Frog Act posted:

yeah I started a H/N Dwarf campaign after making that complainy post and it seems like an all-around improvement. Having one recruitment slot is lore-appropriate, the orks are more aggressive than they usually are in vanilla (raided me a few times, snuck under the mountains when Grombrindal was off fighting the first mission and taking gunbad, etc) so I'm looking forward to a good campaign. Dwarfs are always my favorite in this game, I always end up coming back to them for fun campaigns because I love the feeling of marching my badass, outrageously high-tech armies out of the mountains in order to intervene on behalf of the low-land people. SFO seems to make the battles meatier, too, like units break, retreat, and reform a lot more than they used to.

Man, when you get access to those Dwarf Engineer squads, holy poo poo. If you thought SFO Irondrakes were impressive...

Addendum: SFO Dwarf Engineer squads are also another exhibit of the power of indirect fire in the Total War engine, except with explosive damage instead of AP damage (though they still do great AP damage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, when you get access to those Dwarf Engineer squads, holy poo poo. If you thought SFO Irondrakes were impressive...

Addendum: SFO Dwarf Engineer squads are also another exhibit of the power of indirect fire in the Total War engine, except with explosive damage instead of AP damage (though they still do great AP damage)

Yeah I'm pumped to try some of the small-count lore appropriate units and mess around with the changes they've made to Dwarfs in general. My throngs last a lot longer in SFO, it seems, where they'd do okay against Boyz in vanilla, in SFO a solid frontline of Dwarf Warriors was able to hold off a force twice its size with just a grudge thrower, two quarrelers, and irondrakes as backup. I've also rarely seen the AI bring a full stack into the Dwarf's starting hold this early so it was fun to rush down and take them on.

For buildings (I'm definitely not rolling in cash like vanilla Dwarfs) what do ya'll recommend I build in Karaz-a-Karak? I'm having public order problems, too, so I'm trying to decide between the mining chain and the toolmaker chain - it seems like the mining chain in Karaz for the gems, even with skaven corruption, and toolmakers elsewhere?

I guess I have to try to expand ASAP so I can start making more cash and just come up here and mop up rebellions when / if they happen.

ed: lol three turns after that first stack Grimgor himself has arrived with a WAAGH and a full stack himself right on the other side of the mountains in Karag Dron. uh oh

ed2: actually its a little frustrating that the WAAAGH spawns with these crazy elite tier units on turn 19 and immediately spawns a grudge even though there's like nothing I could do to beat them AND grimgor's enormous deathstack. add to that that Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin are getting utterly devastated by the VC, like mercilessly getting their poo poo kicked in, but I can't confederate because of this grudge mechanic even though they'd probably accept it

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 14, 2019