Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah it's never explained, which is the best way to do it IMO. I don't think they could come up with something that would live up to the consequences TNO faces for doing it, so it's best left to our imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone remember what TNO’s original crime was? It’s been a while for me. I thought it was finding a way to escape the Blood war which had some weird consequences but I could be wrong.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:vince:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

an eternity in the blood war isnt enough

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glimpse posted:

I don’t actually remember the dialogue about planes dying, but the game spends a lot of time talking about the blood war, a spreading conflict that is consuming entire planes (that TNO must eventually face), so a lot of people think it’s related to that.

The Blood War is a dangerous conflict, but ultimately the Blood War is largely a good thing, as it makes the fiends focus on fighting each other rather everyone else. The only real issue with it is the collateral damage it causes.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah it's never explained, which is the best way to do it IMO. I don't think they could come up with something that would live up to the consequences TNO faces for doing it, so it's best left to our imagination.

Leaving it open to our own interpretation is really the best.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

The real Torment.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alright I have a question that has been bugging me for literally more than 10 years. In BG1/2, Full Plate has an AC of 1 (-3 slashing, -2 piercing and missile). So basically it's only got an AC of 1 against blunt damage, and it's "average" AC (mean, median AND mode) is -2, or close to it. So why on earth does it say AC 1?

This is a thing with a bunch of armour, there are plenty where it goes the other way and only offers the main reported AC against like one type of damage and significantly worse protection against others.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lol

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Glimpse posted:

I don’t actually remember the dialogue about planes dying, but the game spends a lot of time talking about the blood war, a spreading conflict that is consuming entire planes (that TNO must eventually face), so a lot of people think it’s related to that.

For some reason, and keep in mind that I haven't played Torment in about 14 years, I thought that the crime of Nameless was that he was personally responsible for the Blood War beginning. I must have conflated ideas somehow but, to be fair, that is the sort of sin for which one could spend eternity trying to atone.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Come, little one, there is a great deal to do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bike tory posted:

Alright I have a question that has been bugging me for literally more than 10 years. In BG1/2, Full Plate has an AC of 1 (-3 slashing, -2 piercing and missile). So basically it's only got an AC of 1 against blunt damage, and it's "average" AC (mean, median AND mode) is -2, or close to it. So why on earth does it say AC 1?

This is a thing with a bunch of armour, there are plenty where it goes the other way and only offers the main reported AC against like one type of damage and significantly worse protection against others.

Because it’s not an average. It’s just the base AC as determined in relation to other armors and then the other systems are just modifiers on top of that. Baldur’s Gate is built off of late 2e AD&D rules, so basically layers upon layers of ideas heaped on top of each other for like 25 years and don’t touch any of it or the whole thing falls over and explodes.

Like Bioware did an incredible job putting things together and making a coherent game out of the rules they had to work with. Stuff like BG2’s mage duels are an incredible distillation of a bunch of different books never designed to work with each other.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 13, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Decrepus posted:

Come, little one, there is a great deal to do.

I was one of the proofreaders for that mod, way back when. In my innocence, I thought the mod would take the obvious tack of emphasizing that you're not really siblings.

Oh how long ago that innocence was.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JustJeff88 posted:

For some reason, and keep in mind that I haven't played Torment in about 14 years, I thought that the crime of Nameless was that he was personally responsible for the Blood War beginning. I must have conflated ideas somehow but, to be fair, that is the sort of sin for which one could spend eternity trying to atone.

That is actually something the Heavens would be giving him medals for if he did that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So once I finish BG2 and TOB I want to play Torment EE because the setting seems really rad.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

KKKLIP ART posted:

So once I finish BG2 and TOB I want to play Torment EE because the setting seems really rad.

This is a good idea. There isn’t a single bad infinity engine game and I’d also recommend both Icewind Dales.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Then you can move onto arcanum and toee

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Add Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire to the list if you want a modern take on the engine/genre.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I “game” on an XPS13 so if it can’t run on Intel hd it ain’t for me :v: but I really want to eventually play the Pillars games too.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

KKKLIP ART posted:

I “game” on an XPS13 so if it can’t run on Intel hd it ain’t for me :v: but I really want to eventually play the Pillars games too.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/560130/discussions/0/1696046342873942861/#c1744478429682028507

See last couple posts in thread for another guy with XPS13 reporting config/FPS.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pmchem posted:

Add Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire to the list if you want a modern take on the engine/genre.

If you want to get into pillars I’d start with POE1 and white March. Awesome game and you can import your character and choices into Deadfire. But yea, PoE is amazing poo poo.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

If you want to get into pillars I’d start with POE1 and white March. Awesome game and you can import your character and choices into Deadfire. But yea, PoE is amazing poo poo.

I liked POE2 *much* more and it can be played without POE1, but yeah, if you’ve got the time, play both.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
POE1 runs fine on integrated Intel graphics

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alright I did a bit of digging and comparison and it looks like the stated AC for every armour set is vs blunt damage. IMO it would've made more sense to list the modal AC, but whatevs, I guess thats another way to do it.

Is blunt the most common damage type or something?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I was one of the proofreaders for that mod, way back when. In my innocence, I thought the mod would take the obvious tack of emphasizing that you're not really siblings.

Oh how long ago that innocence was.

To be fair, the gods of forgotten realms are pretty Greek mythos inspired and that kind of stuff fits right into that just like bestiality fits in with Norse mythology.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Washout posted:

Leaving it open to our own interpretation is really the best.
I like the theory that TNO is Zerthimon but it’s definitely not the right scale

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The zerth interpretation is good. I also remember a fan theory that TNO's sin had to do with coaxmetal and the heat death of the universe.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's been forever since I played Torment and I'm not sure how consistent this is with the text, but I kind of like the idea that TNO's great sin was something unremarakble in the cosmic sense but something he felt tremendously guilty about. Like he thinks he's the greatest monster ever but the planes wouldn't have batted an eye had he not gone to such extraordinary lengths to avoid the consequences.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ahahahahha

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The zerth interpretation is good. I also remember a fan theory that TNO's sin had to do with coaxmetal and the heat death of the universe.

On a gut reaction, that would... Make sense. I remember thinking it had to be more than merely, say, mass murder - there are plenty of evil deities in the planes that would high five TNO for that. Something that fucks up the fundaments of the system. Something to do with multiverse-destroying entropy would fit the bill. Isn't giving Coaxmetal the Modron Cube to escape one of the most evil acts in the game according to the hidden alignment numbers (as already stated, being evil isn't enough to be anathema to the planes in itself, but being evil in a way that leaves nothing might be evil in the right way)? I know the Doomguard are nihilistic and might be into this, but maybe TNO just did what they want to do more effectively. Not that we'll ever know but that's a fun idea.

Also since people are plugging PoE I'm going to throw out a forlorn recommendation for Torment Tides of Numenera. Its themes and plot aren't as cohesive and well thought-out, but the world is fantastically rich and the character and plot writing are still good, if not quite as good as Planescape. Dying Earth settings are rarely done in games and I think they did it well. The combat is... Well, no worse than the original Torment...

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Neurosis posted:

Also since people are plugging PoE I'm going to throw out a forlorn recommendation for Torment Tides of Numenera. Its themes and plot aren't as cohesive and well thought-out, but the world is fantastically rich and the character and plot writing are still good, if not quite as good as Planescape. Dying Earth settings are rarely done in games and I think they did it well. The combat is... Well, no worse than the original Torment...

I believe quite strongly that if Torment Tides of Numenera was just called Tides of Numenera and its marketing hadn't been so aggressive in its comparisons to Planescape Torment it'd be much liked in a much more uncontroversial way.

It's a fairly cool game it just doesn't help itself with comparisons to a game people have put on a pedestal for as long as its been out.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

docbeard posted:

It's been forever since I played Torment and I'm not sure how consistent this is with the text, but I kind of like the idea that TNO's great sin was something unremarakble in the cosmic sense but something he felt tremendously guilty about. Like he thinks he's the greatest monster ever but the planes wouldn't have batted an eye had he not gone to such extraordinary lengths to avoid the consequences.

Maybe he came up with pineapple on pizza

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

docbeard posted:

See that was always my thought. That his actions in attempting to avoid penance were the greater offense in the grand scheme of things.

TheHoosier posted:

This is what sparked the Blood Wars.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheHoosier posted:

See and my theory was comic sans.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

See and my theory was comic sans.

That fateful night waking at the morgue, Morte neglects to mention that your back tattoos are carved in comic sans.

No ever one says anything because somewhere deep down they all know that you deserve it.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Working my way through BG1 again, this time as a half-elf ranger/cleric. This is a pretty fun combo, dual wielding hammers and flails after buffing the hell out of myself. Adding general cc spells and no need to scribe scrolls, and this feels really powerful. I’m with Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, and Neera. I’ll pick up Coran later on for my full party.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lucas Archer posted:

Working my way through BG1 again, this time as a half-elf ranger/cleric. This is a pretty fun combo, dual wielding hammers and flails after buffing the hell out of myself. Adding general cc spells and no need to scribe scrolls, and this feels really powerful. I’m with Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, and Neera. I’ll pick up Coran later on for my full party.

This was the character race/class I just used to beat the trilogy last time I played. Basically a superpriest who can do anything. I was dual wielding cromfaeyr and some other neato thing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

chaosapiant posted:

This was the character race/class I just used to beat the trilogy last time I played. Basically a superpriest who can do anything. I was dual wielding cromfaeyr and some other neato thing.

Flail of Ages main hand, Defender of Easthaven off-hand for survivability or Crom Faeyr for big hits.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sebzilla posted:

Flail of Ages main hand, Defender of Easthaven off-hand for survivability or Crom Faeyr for big hits.

That’s what it was! Flail of Ages and Crom Fayr. Super fun character. My current character is a female fighter/mage who I’m playing as neutral evil.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Stupidifier is the most powerful weapon in BG1. With the exception that you can't kill that werewolf king or the other giant demon at the end of the quest either. But for everything else it just wrecks them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Washout posted:

Stupidifier is the most powerful weapon in BG1. With the exception that you can't kill that werewolf king or the other giant demon at the end of the quest either. But for everything else it just wrecks them.

I seriously didn’t know that was a thing in BG1 until last night when I had Imoen burglering random Beregost inns.