Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Replicas was pretty dope. Sort of a sleeker but lower budget Chappie vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Now you’re just killing my hype

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

21 Muns posted:

Given the reputation Aquaman used to have as a superhero, I think it's pretty funny that Aquaman is the first DCEU movie to break a billion dollars at the box office.

It's also the second highest grossing DC movie ever (after DK Rises)

got any sevens posted:

Literally saw the first trailer for this on Friday.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

It's also the second highest grossing DC movie ever (after DK Rises)

Given Aquaman's current trajectory, I would be surprised if it didn't ultimately wind up passing TDKR, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

got any sevens posted:

It's nowhere near as good as Chappie, what the gently caress hahaha

Chappie is a legit great movie. Replicas is hilarious but because of how bafflingly terrible it is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd it going to outgross the fictional Entourage version?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

21 Muns posted:

Given the reputation Aquaman used to have as a superhero, I think it's pretty funny that Aquaman is the first DCEU movie to break a billion dollars at the box office.

Aquaman being lame is such a Boomer/Gen X thing because it's based almost entirely on the 70s Superfriends show. The version of him from the Justice League cartoon most milennials grew up with is almost 20 years old at this point, and he's very much cut from the same cloth of being conspicuously badass.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Aquaman being lame is such a Boomer/Gen X thing because it's based almost entirely on the 70s Superfriends show. The version of him from the Justice League cartoon most milennials grew up with is almost 20 years old at this point, and he's very much cut from the same cloth of being conspicuously badass.

There was a big rewrite of the character in the '90s under Peter David that the Justice League cartoon took it's impression off of, namely the Hamlet stuff going on his kingdom and him losing a hand and becoming a hook-handed beardo (because maintaining a clean-shaven look was difficult with one hand).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

There was a big rewrite of the character in the '90s under Peter David that the Justice League cartoon took it's impression off of, namely the Hamlet stuff going on his kingdom and him losing a hand and becoming a hook-handed beardo (because maintaining a clean-shaven look was difficult with one hand).

If he was so badass, he should have shaved with his harpoon hand.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's nowhere near as good as Chappie, what the gently caress hahaha

Chappie is a legit great movie. Replicas is hilarious but because of how bafflingly terrible it is.

Would you say Replicas would have been an improvement with the addition of an evil shorts-wearing Hugh Jackman? Or maybe Keanu messed up and his family accidentally came out of the cloning machine as Die Antwoord.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Or maybe Keanu messed up and his family accidentally came out of the cloning machine as Die Antwoord.
loving SOLD

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
There used to be running joke of Cameron making an Aquaman movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Mann posted:

And the one in Brave and the Bold which the movie Aquaman seems to take the most influence from isn't much younger. (the ridiculously hammy one. And the one that did this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixXnzefsBA )

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FYI, the Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart movie The Upside (remake of French movie The Intouchables) has dethroned Aquaman as the no. 1 movie in the US this week.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

FYI, the Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart movie The Upside (remake of French movie The Intouchables) has dethroned Aquaman as the no. 1 movie in the US this week.

i went in to work Thursday night and my manager pop-quizzed me on which movie got the highest ticket sales at our theater that evening and I guessed pretty much every other movie we had showing that night before I guessed that one

looks like the Oscars are gonna be kicking themselves for not ignoring his dipshit (un)apologies and keeping him as host!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
In that bizarre way things happen, The Upside is actually the third remake of The Intouchables made in the last three years, with an Indian and an Argentine remake both coming out in 2016.

The only reason it wasn't released sooner after premiering in fall of 2017 at TIFF is because it was being distributed by the Weinstein Company, and then the scandal broke out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The MSJ posted:

I don't know why the keep going to Kevin Hart as the black actor but there we go

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This one also had people attacking Cranston for not actually being disabled so it was getting blasted on both sides

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DC Murderverse posted:

looks like the Oscars are gonna be kicking themselves for not ignoring his dipshit (un)apologies and keeping him as host!

Honestly I feel like there needs to be some kind of cutoff date where we all agree that the poo poo we posted on the internet doesn't count, because the internet and society and social mores have all changed so much that even five years ago was a totally different world. Let alone when Hart's tweets were.

"I know better now and that is not OK" is a perfectly acceptable response, especially regarding something from Obama's first term.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Aquaman hung onto the #1 spot for 21 days, exactly the same as Avengers, Infinity War and Black Panther.

Note that Black Panther kept fighting its way back to the #1 spot for weeks afterwards, occasionally dipping down to #2 when a new release hit cinemas but then taking back the #1 spot again and again. Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle was swamped by Last Jedi during its first two weeks of release but then managed to hit the #1 spot and kept losing it and getting it back right up until it's 7th week.
It looks like The Upside could only manage two days as #1 before Aquaman took it back so we'll see how much longer it can keep it up.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Honestly I feel like there needs to be some kind of cutoff date where we all agree that the poo poo we posted on the internet doesn't count, because the internet and society and social mores have all changed so much that even five years ago was a totally different world. Let alone when Hart's tweets were.

"I know better now and that is not OK" is a perfectly acceptable response, especially regarding something from Obama's first term.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Hart hasn't done anything other than double down on those age-old comments ever since they got dug up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He's over it and that's what really matters. Not learning from it or anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEM5TKzUI8Q

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

K. Waste posted:

I think others have jokingly alluded to this, but the unwavering loyalty of the dog despite its suffering is a secular society's replacement for a figure of Christian martyrdom.

For all intents and purposes, the dog embodies every cliche of the oppressed and abject of our society: intrinsically homeless, without rights, but also incapable of evil, a perfectly sycophantic being that will never judge or blame you, or find complicity in your 'apolitical' participation in the state that keeps it disenfranchised and dependent. But by the same token, dogs are also race-less and class-less. They can not be inscribed with any historical or cultural prejudices. Even at their most base, the dog is simply funny. Its behaviors are never endemic of a 'subhuman' attribute. Indeed, the dog is more than human.

In this way, we can see the generic dog movie as basically being the ideological inversion of the alien monster movie. All of the things that make the xenomorph this abhorrent threat that destabilizes all conventional notions of what it means to be 'human' are reframed as a spiritual perfection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIGz2kyo26U

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I thought this was gonna be this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDrF9LFn_cc

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Tars Tarkas posted:

This one also had people attacking Cranston for not actually being disabled so it was getting blasted on both sides

And it still got pretty good BO despite being an all-around lovely movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that movie looked like poo poo, seriously who went to see it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah that movie looked like poo poo, seriously who went to see it.

Lots of people we'd probably never willingly associate with

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Lots of people we'd probably never willingly associate with

Yeah, our parents.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't the Wizard basically an ad for Super Mario Bros 3?

And isn't Illumination working on a Super Mario Bros movie? I do wonder if Wreck-It Ralph got them more confident in trusting Hollywood with their IP again. In contrast, the Sonic movie.

It’s been 25 years since Super Mario Bros, they probably figure it’s been enough time they can take a stab at it as long as they maintain some level of control. Illumination has a proven track record and will almost definitely print money.

Don’t forget that The Pokémon Company is also co-owned by Nintendo (along with Game Freak and Creatures, Inc.) and they’re dropping Detective Pikachu this year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They were also heavily involved with that film and I think it shows. I would predict it will be a billion dollar movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tino posted:

And it still got pretty good BO despite being an all-around lovely movie.

It looks like it made about $20 million on its opening weekend but it's almost impossible to predict how well it'll do in the end. Some recent films that had a similar opening only ended up making about $40m to $45m but then there were other films that had a similar opening that went on to make over $100m domestically like Pitch Perfect 3 or Baby Driver or Arrival.

Also it used to be pretty much an accepted fact that January/February was a dead zone and ticket sales would dry up (and if you had a film you werern't sure about you could dump in to cinemas here just to get it out of the way) but that's also been thrown up in the air in recent years.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I can’t imagine The Upside cost that much to make. Seems like it will be easy to stealth recoup its budget.

Then: The Upside Cinematic Universe kicks off in earnest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

I can’t imagine The Upside cost that much to make. Seems like it will be easy to stealth recoup its budget.

Then: The Upside Cinematic Universe kicks off in earnest.

It has a reported production budget of $37.5 million and I'm guessing that a large chunk of that must have been the salaries paid to Bryan Cranston, Kevin Hart and Nicole Kidman. Looks like it's gonna pay off, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Guy Mann posted:

his apologies weere just this side of "i apologize to anyone who felt offended, i guess i just need to adjust because everyone is so sensitive now" and not "hey maybe talking about slamming a dollhouse on my son's head so he won't be gay is a bad joke to make"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

yeah, I mean he basically apologized for... having to apologize? Like there was no serious depth to it. He didn’t really address the core of the issue, which wasn’t just the homophobia, but like the aggressiveness of a lot of the jokes. Whether part of an “act” or not, the jokes themselves have a lot of anger to them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why is admitting that you were wrong and have grown as a person seen as a failing and a weakness in this country? It takes actual, real courage to admit that you hosed up and you recognize that error and you're trying to make amends.

e: I guess in this instance it's because Hart doesn't give a gently caress and is actually just a homophobic rear end in a top hat who wants to brush this under the rug so it doesn't impact his ability to make millions, but I guess being rich is a good enough replacement to having a spine and some ability for self-reflection.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 14, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why is admitting that you were wrong and have grown as a person seen as a failing and a weakness in this country? It takes actual, real courage to admit that you hosed up and you recognize that error and you're trying to make amends.

I was just about to post the same thing: powerful assholes used to at least pretend to be sorry for their misdeeds. Now it seems even just saying "sorry", regardless if it's sincere or not, is something to be avoided at all costs. It's all either viscious counter attacks and/or "I'm sorry you're offended".

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 14, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I think a large part of that has to do with social media allowing for a smaller story loop than what there used to be. Back in the day a celebrity would issue a carefully crafted apology that was designed by committee and demanded by the studio so as to not rock the boat.

Now you can just post a half apology on instragram, where it’s much harder to hide the chip on your shoulder about being called out for lovely behavior. That “sorry not sorry” poo poo Hart posted was defensive as gently caress, and as a result didn’t really engage with the how’s and why’s of what is going on.

Edit: furthermore, most good comedy is built around the concept of punchhing up. A lot of comedians can’t deal with the fact that fame, fortune, and success puts them at a place of advantage. So when they get called out for embodying the very traits they built a career on rallying against, they get hyper defensive because threee is a dissonance and they don’t realize they’re coming from a different place now. So it’s not that they changed; it’s that the audience did.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 14, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
PR needs to evolve and basically tell celebs they'll get sued if they go off script like that.

That doesn't solve people being poo poo tho.

Hart could have taken the moment to have an honest discussion about how his background led him to the joke, or discuss it as a reflection of his own insecurities, or even some B.S. concern about the dangers his son would face.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think there's a difference between randomly dredging up somebody's years old comments that they've already apologized for versus using past behavior as context for new, current offenses. Like, if Kevin Hart says something homophobic in 2025, he can expect that yea his past homophobic comments are going to get brought up again and he will have to address it. If you keep loving up then you don't get judged individually just on each separate instance, people will recognize the pattern and rightfully call you out on it.

That's where I think some celebs get tripped up, after X number of years they think that their record should be totally expunged and the public should act like there isn't a history of similar offensive behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

e: I guess in this instance it's because Hart doesn't give a gently caress and is actually just a homophobic rear end in a top hat who wants to brush this under the rug so it doesn't impact his ability to make millions, but I guess being rich is a good enough replacement to having a spine and some ability for self-reflection.

Goes back to John Wayne movies in the 40s at least, probably earlier than that. It's a terrible sentiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hY4iqMfGU4&t=107s