Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ill Wind sounded more interesting than how I remember AMSP sounding, though it has been a while since I listened to all of AMSP. Is there more like this on there? Should I listen to the album again?

I just don't think AMSP made much of an impression on me. It kinda came and went in my mind. Nothing on that album was as exciting to me as anything on In Rainbows or The Eraser or Hail to the Thief or Amnesiac or Kid A etc.

Yes, I count The Eraser as a canon Radiohead album. The songs on it are way tighter than anything on TKOL or AMSP, even 13 years later.

so many opinions packed into this post about an album it sounds like you listened to once. lol just listen to AMSP again it's good i promise (I Promise is not a good song but luckily it is not on AMSP, which is good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thom and the Heads posted:

so many opinions packed into this post about an album it sounds like you listened to once. lol just listen to AMSP again it's good i promise (I Promise is not a good song but luckily it is not on AMSP, which is good)
I've listened to AMSP in full a few times, it's just that each time I listen to it, nothing from it sticks with me at all haha

I'll give it another shot, I've just not gotten anything out of it in the past :shobon:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Present Tense is probably the best song they've done since like 2006 or whenever In Rainbows was released.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Agree probably though I love decks dark or whatever it's called

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Present Tense is probably the best song they've done since like 2006 or whenever In Rainbows was released.

It's certainly the best track off AMSP

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ful Stop is my jam to blast on my commute home from work

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Ful Stop is my jam to blast on my commute home from work

I'm totally fine with the tracklist being alphabetical (especially as that accommodates the bonus tracks perfectly), but the irrational part of me thinks the album would've worked perfectly if Ful Stop and Burn The Witch switched places.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
AMSP is one of their best probably. Amok is pretty good but the title track has some percussive sound that's mixed so outrageously loud that it completely ruins the song for me

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
AMSP is an album that I went from thinking was kind of a snoozer to heartbreaking once I learned what it was actually about.

But either way TKOL is still better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm listening to AMSP again right now. It...doesn't sound like a Radiohead album for the most part. It sounds more like a film score, or an experimental Thom solo project, or Thom appearing on another artist's music. The Eraser sounds more like a Radiohead album. It would make sense that it would sound like a film score, considering both Jonny and Thom have done film scores, but still, that ain't Radiohead.

Not that every Radiohead album has to sound the same. They absolutely do not, and I appreciate them for that. But this just doesn't have what I listen to Radiohead for. The framework of their previous albums seems largely absent here.

It sounds like the Radiohead I know and love on tracks like Decks Dark, Ful Stop and Identikit, but the entire album doesn't keep up that spirit unfortunately. Had it just been an EP with all the non-Radiohead sounding stuff trimmed off, I probably would've enjoyed it far more. But unfortunately it's less than a handful of great tracks with a bunch more snoozers.

TKOL is absolutely better. I'm not crazy about a lot of TKOL either, but if given the choice between listening to TKOL or AMSP again, I'd choose TKOL no question.

e: Listening to Ill Wind immediately after AMSP, I honestly believe this one track is better than that whole album. I mean goddamn, at least it sounds like Radiohead. The bassline, the creepy haunting synth, the drumming, Thom's voice just melting into the instruments...it's all there.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 14, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'd say that the Radiohead moniker has largely been used over recent albums to foreground particular member's visions.

It's not really a slight to say that AMSP is like a Johnny Greenwood soundtrack (even though the group itself has always flirted with soundtrack ideas)

And it's not a slight to say that TKOL is a Phil Selway percussion opera.

TKOL is definitely the most carefully constructed album the band has made since Amnesiac, their 'jazz' album, (which it feels like a sequel to)...and I'd put it in their top 3 maybe tied for 2nd with HTTT but below Amnesiac.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
TKOL is horribly underrated but I'm not really sure how AMSP doesn't sound like Radiohead

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TKOL is very aggressively it’s own thing. It’s “we’re Radiohead, this is what we’re doing at the moment, listen for 38 minutes or gently caress off, bye”. And it’s better for it.

I think it’s hilarious its conception was basically them not knowing what to do next after IR, and it just cuts to The Gang Becomes DJs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hughesta posted:

TKOL is horribly underrated but I'm not really sure how AMSP doesn't sound like Radiohead
It's like too orchestral lol

Even though Radiohead has used orchestral elements here and there in their music for like 20 years, as BeanpolePeckerwood said:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's not really a slight to say that AMSP is like a Johnny Greenwood soundtrack (even though the group itself has always flirted with soundtrack ideas)
It just leans too heavily in that direction, I feel, and foregoes a lot of the more traditional Radiohead instrumentation in favor of that outside of a few songs.

It's not terrible, but like I said, it's not what I listen to Radiohead for either. If I wanted to listen to a film score, there are other film scores I'd rather listen to instead.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I don't understand the orchestral part on The Numbers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think time has been kind to TKOL. It was hard to overcome the initial feeling of "That's it?" when it came out and was only 8 tracks. They just had to wait for Kanye to do it first I guess. Now short albums are cool again. (Well, maybe. Kanye isn't cool anymore.)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If any album represents an orchestral epoch for the band, it's In Rainbows, not AMSP. The amount and impact of orchestration on AMSP always seems to be overblown. The two lead singles being orchestra-heavy might have something to do with it. AMSP only has five songs out of eleven with any orchestration at all: Burn the Witch, Daydreaming, Glass Eyes, The Numbers, and Tinker Tailor. The latter two use the orchestra for flourish in the second half of the song, and are otherwise standard Radiohead songs. To compare, In Rainbows has six songs out of ten with orchestration: Nude, All I Need, Faust Arp, Reckoner, House of Cards, Jigsaw Falling Into Place. And let's not forget that Weird Fishes was debuted as an orchestral number as well. Burn The Witch was also part of the In Rainbows sessions, and Thom specifically called it out as an orchestral tune in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUzmhztxWdc&t=20s

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volte posted:

To compare, In Rainbows has six songs out of ten with orchestration: Nude, All I Need, Faust Arp, Reckoner, House of Cards, Jigsaw Falling Into Place. And let's not forget that Weird Fishes was debuted as an orchestral number as well.

To be fair though, you can easily miss the orchestral parts in All I Need and House of Cards. They basically just fatten up the mix a little, they're not featured. And something like Jigsaw, which does have an obvious orchestral part, also has a lot of other stuff going on too, much more of what is typically considered a "classic" Radiohead sound, whereas The Numbers... not so much. It's more like 5 of the 11 songs are Faust Arp.

I'm not criticizing AMSP for it, personally. Just saying.

I'm totally fine with the tracklist being alphabetical (especially as that accommodates the bonus tracks perfectly), but the irrational part of me thinks the album would've worked perfectly if Ful Stop and Burn The Witch switched places.

I like to do that as well as switching Identikit and The Numbers. I like the one-two punch of Glass Eyes and The Numbers as a resting spot between the more upbeat Burn The Witch and Identikit.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 14, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sir Lemming posted:

To be fair though, you can easily miss the orchestral parts in All I Need and House of Cards. They basically just fatten up the mix a little, they're not featured. And something like Jigsaw, which does have an obvious orchestral part, also has a lot of other stuff going on too, much more of what is typically considered a "classic" Radiohead sound, whereas "The Numbers"... not so much. It's more like 5 of the 11 songs are Faust Arp.

I'm not criticizing AMSP for it. Just saying.
I disagree about All I Need - I think the orchestra is the main reason that song sounds so huge. It sounds empty live by comparison. The "in your face" melodic strings on AMSP harken more to 60s and 70s soul music to me than movie soundtracks like some have been saying. Daydreaming and Glass Eyes are really the only songs that sound overtly theatrical to me. v:shobon:v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFdR2LLM3bY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVHZFDs68w

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think I need to rank RH albums agaoin, good idea? y/n?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I think I need to rank RH albums agaoin, good idea? y/n?

Good idea yes

1. TKOL
2. Amnesiac
3. IR
4. AMSP
5. HTTT
6. Kid A
7. OKC
8. The Bends
9. PH

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
Younger me hates this, but:
1. IR
2. HTTT
3. AMSP
4. Kid A
5. Amnesiac
6. OKC
7. The Bends
8. TKOL
9. PH

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1. AMNES
2. TKOL
3. HTTT
4. OKC
5. IR
6. AMSP
7. KIDA
8. BENDS
9. PH

Happy to ruin the thread once more

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
1. Amnesiac
2. AMSP
3. Kid A
4. OKC
5. IR
6. HTTT
7. Bends
8. TKOL
9. PH

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
1. Kid A
2. In Rainbows
3. OKC
4. Amnesiac
5. TKOL
6. HTTT
7. The Bends
8. AMSP
9. PH

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ooh, been a while since I did one of these!

1. In Rainbows
2. The King of Limbs
3. Kid A
4. OK Computer
5. Amnesiac
6. A Moon Shaped Pool
7.Hail to the Thief
8. The Bends
9. Pablo Honey

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

1) Kid A
2) OK Computer
3) In Rainbows
4) HTTT
5) Amnesiac
6) TKOL
7) The Bends
8) Pablo Honey
9) AMSP

Honestly I'm really not sure about a few of these. I know Kid A is my favorite and AMSP is my least favorite, but I've never really thought about how some of the others would rank.

I don't revisit some of these albums often at all anymore, like TKOL, The Bends and Pablo Honey.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Jesus Christ make it stop.

Anyways, yes, I fully agree with Volte’s post - I genuinely don’t know how AMSP got to be known as their “orchestral” album. It’s definitely their most melancholy-sounding which makes sense given its subject matter.

I want to emphasize that when I say it’s not as good as TKOL, that’s not to say that AMSP is that bad, it’s to say that TKOL is that good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pirate Jet posted:

Anyways, yes, I fully agree with Volte’s post - I genuinely don’t know how AMSP got to be known as their “orchestral” album.
Because the strings/orchestral arrangements are loving all over that album lol

Yes, they've appeared in their other work dating back a couple decades, but not quite to the degree that they show up in AMSP.

Idk if y'all listen to post-rock, but one of my favorite post-rock bands is Mono. They've been around since the early 2000s, and strings have appeared in their music for years and years, but that's not the main focus of their music or anything. Then I think it was their album For My Parents that came out and the strings were in full force, taking a larger role in the music than they ever had before and seeming to take precedence over the type of instrumentation I know and love them for. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't what I wanted out of a Mono album and I almost never revisit that album anymore because of it.

I feel similarly about AMSP.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There are two do-it-yourself EPs embedded right in there:

AMSP I (28 mins):
Decks Dark
Desert Island Disk
Ful Stop
Identikit
Present Tense
True Love Waits

AMSP II (23 mins):
Burn the Witch
Daydreaming
Glass Eyes
The Numbers
Tinker Tailor

If you can strip out every song that has any orchestra and still end up with over half the album -- almost an LP's length in its own right -- it seems absurd to call it an orchestral album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think "lush" is the word we're looking for. AMSP definitely has the most lush orchestration on any Radiohead album.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm serious you fucks, don't list the tracks of AMSP any more unless Spectre and Ill Wind are in there. They are part of that album. I don't give af where you put them order wise, but if you leave them out of the tracklist I will box your motherfucking ears, this has been a warning.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The only bad thing about AMSP to me is that in "Daydreaming" when Thom says "beyond the point" you can hear he's got his lips pressed right up against the mic on the p in "point" and i can't not notice it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Daydreaming and Burn The Witch are perfect responses to the times we live in.

One of the many things I like about Radiohead is that they're really good at translating the zeitgeist into their music

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Daydreaming and Burn The Witch are perfect responses to the times we live in.

One of the many things I like about Radiohead is that they're really good at translating the zeitgeist into their music

Yeah, this is why I love HTTT so much, and love that they just smashed it out without refinement, it fits the time. When it was released I felt like there were very few artists who had the balls to speak up in such a blunt manner about the crimes of those in power. Everything felt dark as hell and life was moving so quickly.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Even from a purely musical sense, I think one of HTTT’s strengths is that it’s long and not fussed over. Just a band getting together for two weeks and banging out an album. Compare that with the Kid A/Amnesiac and In Rainbows sessions being over two years each.

All of them are excellent for different reasons, but HTTT does have a sense of carefree fun about it, despite the dark subject matter

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HTTT loving rules and I've loved that album ever since I first heard it in 2003. There's just so much great, creepy atmosphere going on in it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HTTT has the best opening 20 minute run of RH's entire career.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HTTT has the best opening 20 minute run of RH's entire career.
2+2=5 into Sit Down Stand Up is seriously one of the best combinations of opening tracks I've ever heard on any album ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

2+2=5 into Sit Down Stand Up is seriously one of the best combinations of opening tracks I've ever heard on any album ever

I'm with you there.