Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Also I'd like it if the arrows on item cards were a different colour or look to the arrows on chain cards - I bought an item and got super frustrated trying to get it to work in the chain, as I looked at the three-way arrow and intuitively decided that that meant it was for forking chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Merijn posted:

Started up shs's efurtw, and so far it looks less confusing then NGU.

:psyduck:

idk, the game feels like it dumps you at the point NGU reaches after several months of steady gameplay, systems-wise, except nothing has been obsoleted and you're expected to figure out what needs prioritizing and what not from a massive list of options you can't evaluate properly. It would be a lot better if stuff was introduced gradually as it became relevant, heck even ghosting out currencies and systems before people should be bothering to look at them would be a massive step forward.

The core, as other posters have said, is solid; the grid system and the fact that you need to hook up A to B is great and easy to grasp. The problem is that everything else feels like I'm deep-diving into a mobile card/gatcha game that has been active for a year or more.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Well, like someone posted earlier, the base mechanic of 'make a chain of cards to attack' is pretty easy to grasp. Everything beyond that is just words. But I would probably get stuck very soon if I were to continue playing. :shobon:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I found the concept pretty clear, but much like the other EFU games, you get a very large pile of stats that isn't really clear how they interact. I think part of the problem is when you have fifteen components that make up your stats, a small upgrade here or there doesn't make a noticeable difference.

One suggestion is make the link arrows on items a different color so it's more clear that they can't be part of a chain. Took me a reread of the help section to figure that out. I initially thought they let you branch our chain out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

shs posted:

I'm making a new thing. It's an idle game with a collectible card theme (crossing the streams :cthulhu:)

play it here

I'm going to open and say I really enjoy the core gameplay so far. There's a ton of tutorial issues and some UI stuff that's going to hold you back, but that's why you asked for play testing. Honestly you have the right info it's just being shown at the wrong time or too much at once. It's long, but that's because I like to explain why and suggest improvements.

This seems pretty functional, I'm testing with an RDP session into a VM and forcing 1392x783 (If you can make a game work with this it'll work everywhere) Trying to scale it down makes things go out of the window (hold control and scroll), you need a lower res option it's really hard to play in just above 720p mostly due to the site having a massive top header that is eating a ton of screen space for no reason. Without supporting 720 you are going to cut out an entire section of the idle game community, and they will happily rate a game a 1 if they can't fit it on their tiny rear end screen. (the playing at school / work crowd, but also the more casual using a cheap laptop and can't run real game). reference image

The core seems good I was very confusing putting cards down the arrow is in the stats. Remove the stats entirely until you kill your first enemy. Have the arrow displayed over the card portrait by default with a check box to turn it off that is shown after you get the stats page up. I feel it will be very important to see the arrow before even clicking a card. It even seems this way during the tutorial screen which adds to the confusion!

I don't think the game is flawed nor is this abnormal for an early release, you know how it works so you don't need as many hints on getting it rolling.

The blurb on cloud save about a previous game is bad, it makes it seem like you can import old data and that I should play that first, then it says don't use the same account. Fix it so you can use the same account, if the old game is no longer hosted just delete the saves from the server. It just looks bad and makes it seem like you don't care too much about the game being smooth. If this is a beta only thing you should mark that after launch this will be fixed and it's to save costs on the testing.

The game advice that pops up after awhile is way too big, you need to break that down into multiple lessons. If a game throws that at me I'm just going to close it most of the time unless people are really raving about it. I got about half way before I really couldn't be assed and said I'll figure it out myself. (this is bad).

You mention weapons armor shields and gems aid what they point to instead, this seems interesting but how do I know what is one? It's not clear, can you make the arrows a different color? Maybe a different style? Again these need to be over the picture that information is critical. Exactly how you have it in the prompt is how it should look in game, there should also be a toggle so you can actually look at the art since that's always nice.

farm / progress mode mostly made sense from the drop down I found early on, with only 2 options unless more are planned a drop down is awkward to switch. Defaulting to farm mode and a button that is "rush bosses until you die" then return to farm mode would probably be better. Then when you leave the mode or die you put the cooldown timer on the button. Allow the player to leave Boss mode early. If you are planning on many other modes the drop down is fine you should foreshadow the other modes though with ???? as an unselectable option or something.

Link Boost and Link Null are slightly unclear, what DOES it boost? You just say "value" say what that is global multiplier, stat multiplier, or card wide stat multiplier. I ran out of focus to read the rest of the stuff and would probably close the game at this point. It's information overload. You don't even need to know all of this yet. Hide it in other tutorial sections so someone can keep reading if they want to, but you should also popup with "did you know?" on certain zones boss kills whatever.

Most game devs are poo poo at explaining things so this is all fine and expected. You go into a ton of detail on some things and almost none on others. Formula's are great but they should be in a section, see how NGU does the WTF do I do? blurbs that open up tutorial screens and you can freely browse them. Like the entire experience and upgrade scale chart, that is completely worthless early on since I'm basically forced into whatever cards I have. It's good to know it's there but that is something for min/maxing not critical. Think about starting a new game you are a bit confused and trying to figure out how to play. The average is 4-5 hours of a first play of an idle game. You want the tutorial to stick to simple stupid for the first 4-5 hours of gameplay if it's light on active. If it's very heavy on active you can expect less play time average and adjust accordingly.

I'm going to see if any other issues crop up while I mostly idle it for the day and see what happens. I want to like this it reminds me of FFIX card game, and I really loved the card game in FFVIII (I have 2 full physical sets in a binder someplace, I don't think they'll ever see play again) which evolved into a game I really couldn't fully understand in IX at the time because it wasn't explained well in game and I didn't have internet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

shs posted:

I'm making a new thing. It's an idle game with a collectible card theme (crossing the streams :cthulhu:)

play it here

If possible, left justify stat words and right justify numbers. With the cartoony fonts and rainbow of colors, everything is way too mashed together to even be readable.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pixaal posted:

This seems pretty functional, I'm testing with an RDP session into a VM and forcing 1392x783 (If you can make a game work with this it'll work everywhere) Trying to scale it down makes things go out of the window (hold control and scroll), you need a lower res option it's really hard to play in just above 720p mostly due to the site having a massive top header that is eating a ton of screen space for no reason. Without supporting 720 you are going to cut out an entire section of the idle game community, and they will happily rate a game a 1 if they can't fit it on their tiny rear end screen. (the playing at school / work crowd, but also the more casual using a cheap laptop and can't run real game). reference image

+1 to everything pixaal said, it's a great analysis, but this paragraph in particular is right on the nail. I ended up suppressing the top header via uBlock Origin's element picker but that's hardly a good solution and the game still had bits that didn't fit to my screen.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I was in such a rush to update the game last night that I didn't properly test the new game help boxes. If you play the current build b35, the game shouldn't get stuck anywhere. If it does, feel free to complain at me.

If you have issues updating or loading the page, you'll need to clear your cache.

same link as before

If anyone feels brave enough to restart, I added some a lot more guidance at the beginning. Some other little things were changed as well.

pixaal posted:

I'm going to open and say I really enjoy the core gameplay so far. There's a ton of tutorial issues and some UI stuff that's going to hold you back, but that's why you asked for play testing. Honestly you have the right info it's just being shown at the wrong time or too much at once. It's long, but that's because I like to explain why and suggest improvements.

You wrote a lot of words, and I appreciate that.

When you say the game advice is way too big, do you mean that large page with all the images? I can attempt to cut it into multi parts if it's an issue.

I've already changed the item card arrows to blue. Hopefully that will make it clear that they work slightly differently than the other cards.

If you go to Grid View then Stat Chain Arrow (Toggle), you can view all the chain arrows or all the chain stats (or arrows and stats together). Having the arrows on by default isn't something I thought about before, but I'll probably make that change.

I'll probably add something like what Rimworld has, where there's some little snippets of help in the upper right corner (or some other corner) of the screen.

For the resolution / window issues, the host I'm using (Wix) is being colossal poo poo and not letting me put the game's cloudfront url directly into an iframe (the game files are hosted on Amazon), so I had to do some weird gimmicky things to make it work. Ideally I'll find a way to fix that.

The card game from Final Fantasy 9 wasn't my main influence, but I did borrow some ideas from it.

KazigluBey posted:

The problem is that everything else feels like I'm deep-diving into a mobile card/gatcha game that has been active for a year or more.

I built the core of the game in 4 weeks, then spent another 4 weeks balancing it. If it feels like it's been active for more than a year, I consider that an accomplishment.

I might not respond, but I read everything that everyone writes. I plan to make some more updates before the game is released. Your suffering will not be in vain.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

In Squid Ink, in my first run through, what am I supposed to be doing to best increase my Blue Ink production? It seems to be my main limiting factor, and I'm stuck where upgrading the Blue Squid doesn't seem to really do anything, upgrading the Clown Squid is very expensive, and buying the Sir Cephalopod to get to the next Mixer tier is wildly outside of my production levels.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Wix is a terrible platform. They use a ton of scripts to make the page even render. They don't like it when you use something that isn't from their site builder tools. I'd seriously avoid them, why not host on Armor or Kong, which wont charge you a hosting fee and get you more players? Most people are going to find the game searching a game site not google or finding it from reddit or this thread. Look at how much larger NGU Realm Grinder and Trimps are than say Cookie Clicker which has it's own site.

A self hosted site isn't a bad thing, but why pay the bandwidth since you need to pay someone to process a credit card might as well be someone who will get you players too.

The company I worked for had a site on Wix, it gave us a ton of trouble and cost way more than a proper host. We used it because the CEO's wife thought she could do better for less than the other company we had farmed it out to. It was a real poo poo show. They broke it off after I stopped working there, but it was due to Wix claiming the site was using too much bandwidth and to reduce it because it's effecting other people and you need to think of them, or find a provider with a dedicated host.

It's for new sites and low traffic sites, an idle game probably qualifies but you have no little control and Wix is really expensive for what it is.

edit: game advice is this screen

It works when you click it for looking something up, but one of the New Game popups directs you here, and in a way that you go okay I need to read all of this to know how to play. You should break it into sections you have headers, they should be some kind of tab or link from a glossary.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 14, 2019

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Hey, just a heads up to you guys that ngu's online saves are down, there's apparently a ddos attack happening on the server. joy.

Update: aaand back up already. ok then!

something fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 14, 2019

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

something posted:

Hey, just a heads up to you guys that ngu's online saves are down, there's apparently a ddos attack happening on the server. joy.

At least you cashed out on the "include your name in ITOPOD" money before the dynasty imploded.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

Wix is a terrible platform. They use a ton of scripts to make the page even render. They don't like it when you use something that isn't from their site builder tools. I'd seriously avoid them, why not host on Armor or Kong, which wont charge you a hosting fee and get you more players? Most people are going to find the game searching a game site not google or finding it from reddit or this thread. Look at how much larger NGU Realm Grinder and Trimps are than say Cookie Clicker which has it's own site.

A self hosted site isn't a bad thing, but why pay the bandwidth since you need to pay someone to process a credit card might as well be someone who will get you players too.

The company I worked for had a site on Wix, it gave us a ton of trouble and cost way more than a proper host. We used it because the CEO's wife thought she could do better for less than the other company we had farmed it out to. It was a real poo poo show. They broke it off after I stopped working there, but it was due to Wix claiming the site was using too much bandwidth and to reduce it because it's effecting other people and you need to think of them, or find a provider with a dedicated host.

It's for new sites and low traffic sites, an idle game probably qualifies but you have no little control and Wix is really expensive for what it is.

edit: game advice is this screen

It works when you click it for looking something up, but one of the New Game popups directs you here, and in a way that you go okay I need to read all of this to know how to play. You should break it into sections you have headers, they should be some kind of tab or link from a glossary.

Alternately aren't a lot of folks hosting on github.io? Not sure if it works for the more graphical ones or not because I'm not a dev.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Virigoth posted:

At least you cashed out on the "include your name in ITOPOD" money before the dynasty imploded.

This could be the cause too, there may be a large percentage of players updating the game and grabbing this list, which may look like a lovely one and a host might freak out. NGU is also popular and it wouldn't be the first Idle game to get a DDOS. Someone may have gotten really butthurt about something really dumb. Maybe the stretch of no new end game content, even though this break is really good since under 0.1% of players are even at Nerd v3/v4. Let them catch up a bit. Nerd-v4 feels really REALLY well balanced. It's hard to reach the numbers required so it's a good goal to stretch for at the far end of progression and gives access to a very small number of items. As long as progression builds off v1/v2 or even v3 it should feel fine during a natural progression.

Idle games, especially one with an active and responsive dev, are going to pick up people that just want to be catered to and will throw a tantrum when things don't go their way. You are also going to get jealous devs from other idle games doing dumb stuff because people are petty. There's a bunch of stuff you can do, but the number one thing is it's only cloud saves, and it's probably costing them way more than you'd stand to make. A DDOS attack is about $30-100/hr, I know what your using for a host, so I'm going to assume the lower end. You only host save files (and now tower names) so there's no reason to have beefy hardware. Just be sure your host isn't seeing a traffic increase and confusing it with a DDOS.

saw the edit: DDOS are normally sold by the hour, if it was shorter than an hour it was either a demonstration, a probe, or not a DDOS. That or someone wanted to DDOS another site but only for say 2h40m because that's when something ended so they had 20 minutes of "free" DDOS time and chose you.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 14, 2019

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
To clarify the DDOS was targetted at multiple servers that my provider has and one of then happened to be the vps node that contains ngu's stuff, so i dont think ths was a "gently caress ngu" attack. At least thos is how it was explained when i called to ask if ngu was part of the outage related to this DDOS.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

something posted:

Update: aaand back up already. ok then!

Congration, you've officially made it. This reminds me I should manually save when I get home.

To check in on non endgame: the stretch between beast and chocolate actually feels really good. I feel like I'm making meaningful progress with tree, pp is coming in fast enough that I'm getting some nice secondary purchases, and exp is coming in fast enough that ngus feel like they're speeding up rather than slowing down.

Macguffins feel completely useless to me, though, and I have a few slotted but I can't get most of the things that might help them drop/level until evil so as is they just kind of sit in my inventory and eat up slots that could be more cube boosts or Titan drops.

I'm just now hitting v2 beast at around 8 hours into a run, I might see how this one looks at 24 and opt to stretch out to get chocolate gear, which has the added benefit of letting me blast some pp/digger levels/giant pills

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

Alternately aren't a lot of folks hosting on github.io? Not sure if it works for the more graphical ones or not because I'm not a dev.

Github is for source code, that should only work with .js games because you can just run that in the browser. I haven't really looked into it but there is https://itch.io/ which is for hosting browser or download indie games (this should qualify). It's still way less popular than other sites. I strongly recommend anyone with an idle game has a copy on Kong because that is where most idle game players check for new stuff. I know this thread hates Kong, and I hate it too. But it's where pubbies go, and you want a wider audience.

Anyway now I understand the actual mechanics better. The game needs a tutorial that actually shows you how chaining works. Maybe have it popup at the 1h mark, have one for switching regions that plays first, if you can't switch regions yet because you haven't killed a boss show the chain tutorial then go into having the player kill the boss and then reset. This is going to be a lot more involved since you will need to highlight cards and explain as you go. Make sure you include a skip button because some people really hate tutorials.

It's very confusing with words only, I think I understand.

So if a card has Link Boost and the card after it has the same stat in the top section the link boost is added to it (I think) you should show a +x in red link boost color on the card if it got one. (Is link boost added to other link boosts if you chain the same link boost?) If you hit the NULL boost it should put a strike through that entire line. This is something that can be pushed until a later test but it really should be in before launch. It would make the game so much less confusing if the card showed the stats it's actually contributing to the chain when you click it. The final link should have a summary of every stat that reached the end so you have an easy comparison. If this is burred in a menu someplace it should be front and center as well. The "Grid view" seems to be able to do this but that is never given to the player and it's only 1 stat at a time. I don't think I'd ever focus solely on a single stat, it's way too many clicks to go through all of them. It seems more like a debug feature than an actual in game feature that you are going to use all the time.

I know all the stats are listed in the help but they are still rather unclear what I should focus on, my chain seems mostly dictated by what cards have what arrow at first. The card feeding is also confusing on why I want to do it. This needs a preview and not just eat this card here's the XP, you should show how much XP you are going to gain and how many levels it will give (if any).

shs
Feb 14, 2012

pixaal posted:

Falcon2001 posted:

I plan to put the game on Kongregate once the start of the game has been smoothed out, and some other little things have been fixed. People on that website tend to expect a game to be release ready or close to it (even if it's in beta) and don't take kindly to imperfections. If you get a poor rating then you're basically stuffed into a dark hole in the ground and left to die and there's zero way to recover.

The game will also be on Steam 2 or 3 months after the web release. I actually have the Steam api 100% integrated and do all of my testing with that version, but expectations are even higher over there. I also need to make a trailer for a primarily menu based game which I'm not looking forward to.

People also get burned out easily by rough versions of games, so for now I'm trying to limit how many people are exposed to it.

pixaal posted:

So if a card has Link Boost and the card after it has the same stat in the top section the link boost is added to it (I think) you should show a +x in red link boost color on the card if it got one. (Is link boost added to other link boosts if you chain the same link boost?) If you hit the NULL boost it should put a strike through that entire line. This is something that can be pushed until a later test but it really should be in before launch. It would make the game so much less confusing if the card showed the stats it's actually contributing to the chain when you click it. The final link should have a summary of every stat that reached the end so you have an easy comparison. If this is burred in a menu someplace it should be front and center as well. The "Grid view" seems to be able to do this but that is never given to the player and it's only 1 stat at a time. I don't think I'd ever focus solely on a single stat, it's way too many clicks to go through all of them. It seems more like a debug feature than an actual in game feature that you are going to use all the time.

If a card has a 20% attack link boost, and the next card in the chain has 10 attack, then you'll end up gaining 12 attack. If you have a link null attack instead, then that 10 attack will be ignored. You can see the stat values with Grid View then Attack Chain (replace attack with the stat in question).

Adding a visual is a good idea. I'll probably put a green arrow (boost), a gray arrow (nothing) or a red arrow (null) in between the cards.

The experience menu can probably be improved. Something like, "You'll gain 125 rank experience (56%)"

Increasing a card's rank gives it a big stat boost, and it also means that all newly drawn cards can appear at that rank. I usually wait until I have a full grid, then fuse everything into my Hero or Foundation card until I get a rank increase.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Eldercain posted:

Congration, you've officially made it. This reminds me I should manually save when I get home.

To check in on non endgame: the stretch between beast and chocolate actually feels really good. I feel like I'm making meaningful progress with tree, pp is coming in fast enough that I'm getting some nice secondary purchases, and exp is coming in fast enough that ngus feel like they're speeding up rather than slowing down.

Macguffins feel completely useless to me, though, and I have a few slotted but I can't get most of the things that might help them drop/level until evil so as is they just kind of sit in my inventory and eat up slots that could be more cube boosts or Titan drops.

I'm just now hitting v2 beast at around 8 hours into a run, I might see how this one looks at 24 and opt to stretch out to get chocolate gear, which has the added benefit of letting me blast some pp/digger levels/giant pills

Last we talked we were fairly close in XP but your NGUs/Ygg were wayyy more updated than mine. How many NGUs did you net during your move? I have most of mine up to about 300k now which is I think about where you were when you shipped it.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Virigoth posted:

Last we talked we were fairly close in XP but your NGUs/Ygg were wayyy more updated than mine. How many NGUs did you net during your move? I have most of mine up to about 300k now which is I think about where you were when you shipped it.

I'll check when I get home, but energy is just about done getting to 400k. My ygg ngu really blew up though so now I'm trying to get the other magic ngus caught up. I should be hitting pom 23 tonight when I harvest, and I spent my ~million exp mostly on energy stats since I was a bit magic heavy. The most noticable bank was pp, I've almost finished gold drops, thinking wandoos next and after I get that maxed I'll try switching to xl since meh is getting capped really easily/cheaply. I can also pretty handily cap second to last blood ritual without gimping ngu, which nets me around 10k/12 hours in stats.

I can ship over some more screens if you like.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

shs posted:

I plan to put the game on Kongregate once the start of the game has been smoothed out, and some other little things have been fixed. People on that website tend to expect a game to be release ready or close to it (even if it's in beta) and don't take kindly to imperfections. If you get a poor rating then you're basically stuffed into a dark hole in the ground and left to die and there's zero way to recover.

I didn't see any mention that you were planning to launch on other platforms. You seem to understand perfectly why you want it hidden if you beta on these sites, so no need to go over it. It's still something you might want to communicate on the Wix page under the game window or something "look for other platforms and portals to be announced closer to launch we'll let you know when the ink is dry" It's probably a bad idea to list a bunch of examples if you haven't signed anything. I'm unsure of any legal issues but ignoring them players will get upset if their favorite portal declines or wants a larger cut than you are willing to give them and you have to back out after listing it for the entire beta. So only include that you are going to launch other places, if asked by someone name dropping the major places you are going to ask is fine just don't publicly list until it's a sure thing.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i've been playing idle skilling for the past couple days. some okay ideas in here but make sure you play it on chrome because using firefox ate my save when i closed the page and came back to it.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Checking back in after a while, any new hotness games out recently, or are RG/NGU still the go-tos?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Aurora posted:

i've been playing idle skilling for the past couple days. some okay ideas in here but make sure you play it on chrome because using firefox ate my save when i closed the page and came back to it.

The first thing you should do these days if you try out an idle game is immediately check whether the save function works before you waste a day on it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

The first thing you should do these days if you try out an idle game is immediately check whether the save function works before you waste a day on it.

it autosaves and there's no manual save button which is a really bad design choice but it works fine on chrome, i guess

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I guess after I finish the Badly Drawn set I should start trying to kill the beast and do a lot of challenges.
How am I supposed to get the hints for the beast?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I'm finally able to idle in The Chocolate World and I got two drops in my first hour (0.58% drop rate). I might have stockholm syndrome because I feel spoiled by this.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Jade Rider posted:

Checking back in after a while, any new hotness games out recently, or are RG/NGU still the go-tos?

Squid Ink is actually really good. It's kinda Clicker Heroes-esque but there are a bunch more mechanics that blend well together

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
SHS: This is sort of a core example problem I've had with this games (and your other games) that really separates it from what I consider to be a "complete" game.

I wanted to know about factions. The Game Guide in help basically says nothing, except that there's some tokens and they are multiplied by a thing (it very much says "token value and some other things"), for those not familiar, I'm not being obtuse.

So, go to the factions screen, and I get this enormous window of big fonts with everything sort of haphazardly arranged and the important bits sort of strewn about (why is the important stuff down the bottom below the flavor text?).
The 2 views should really be consolidated and all the info for each faction should be on 1 page. Also, the select faction button should give the indication it is a dropdown (all your dropdowns should, that's just UI basics).

This page tells me that each active card is "1 point". Then it tells me that the number of tokens earned is equal to my number of active point bonuses, which is apparently different from my number of active "points". Why are Active Cards called "Points" when you use "Points" as a different terminology altogether. You need to take a hacksaw to every explanation that you have, reduce things to just what needs to be said, and make sure when you use a term, that there's a specific meaning to it and that it's consistent between items. It wasn't until I was typing this up and re-reading it for like the 10th time that I realized why I had factions with active cards that I wasn't getting any progression for.

Also, terms need to be more indicative of what they do. "Faction token value" should really be "Faction token multiplier" or "Base faction tokens", because "Faction token value" doesn't really have a meaning. And, really, there's no reason to repeat things like "Faction Reward X" over an over.

Here's a lovely MSPaint of what I'd like to see:

See how much more info you get with less real estate, just by reducing the clutter? Personally, I find that immediately more explanatory.

And I'm not trying to poo poo on your or armchair quarterback, I'm just telling you what I see when I look at this game. Way too much text, overloading my ability to quickly read and process it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Trip report: Took me just over 6 days to get and fully power up the Evil set (Lv.100+fully boosting secondary stats), not including the double-boots special item because lol gently caress grinding for ultra-rare drops with marginal gains when you could just be working on the next set. If they had a nice Lv.100 bonus it'd be a different story, or if the "maxed items" counter mattered in some way, but alas. Blew through my stack of 12-hour x2 drop charms I'd gotten over time from the wheel rewards tables, had about 4. Did leave the game on overnight like twice in those six days.

Highlighted another oddity of how this part of the game is balanced: There is no reason to scrape for boosts from a given zone, struggling against bad drop %s and obsoleted values like 200/500 Boosts when the ITOPOD drops 1K Boosts at an always-reliable 16% drop rate from the very easy to grind 451+ range, which you should have been able to 1-hit-kill for a while now. Unless Adventure drop %s improve in the future for boosts at least, or unless adventure zones further into Evil preempt the ITOPOD for the next Boost past 1K there's no reason to grind Boosts in Adventure Mode over the ITOPOD. In fact I'm pretty sure I boosted both the Slime and Chocolate sets via the ITOPOD as well, and that was a while back in terms of progression, so you should be able to farm 451+ fairly quick compared to Boost quality and drop rate in Adventure Mode.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 15, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Post poste posted:

I guess after I finish the Badly Drawn set I should start trying to kill the beast and do a lot of challenges.
You unlock him on Adventure then go there and you'll fight a skeleton guardian who will drop the hint book.

KazigluBey posted:

Highlighted another oddity of how this part of the game is balanced: There is no reason to scrape for boosts from a given zone, struggling against bad drop %s and obsoleted values like 200/500 Boosts when the ITOPOD drops 1K Boosts at an always-reliable 16% drop rate from the very easy to grind 451+ range
You say "a given zone", but you mostly just mean "chocolate zone", because I'm still on Earth building the Slime set and the choice is between 100 boosts and PP or 200/500 boosts and RNG, which is a decent trade-off. It's probably easily fixable just by making 1k boosts drop in Chocolate so you're choosing between whether or not your drop rate is above 16% and whether you want PP or amulets.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a list anywhere of good sets or equipment I should be using while working my way through NGU? I usually upgrade to whatever the new set is for the next area I make it to and generally trash the old stuff (except for accessories for the most part, I have lots of slots) but was looking for suggestions of STUFF TO NEVER TRASH NO MATTER WHAT that might not stand out.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ghostlight posted:

You say "a given zone", but you mostly just mean "chocolate zone", because I'm still on Earth building the Slime set and the choice is between 100 boosts and PP or 200/500 boosts and RNG, which is a decent trade-off. It's probably easily fixable just by making 1k boosts drop in Chocolate so you're choosing between whether or not your drop rate is above 16% and whether you want PP or amulets.

It's still really bad when you hit Evil, I had no reason to grind for Boosts in Adventure over ITOPOD. I thiiiiiink I did the earlier less-efficient version of this back in Boring-rear end Earth as well, wasn't one-shotting at 451 but I was working them down. In the very least this does apply fully for both Chocolate and Evil.

The worst part really is BAE-Chocolate-Evil all being 200/500 when 1000 really needed to kick in there at some point to justify the worse %s over ITOPOD.

Wiki doesn't say, do 1k Boosts drop in the PPP zone?

explosivo posted:

Is there a list anywhere of good sets or equipment I should be using while working my way through NGU? I usually upgrade to whatever the new set is for the next area I make it to and generally trash the old stuff (except for accessories for the most part, I have lots of slots) but was looking for suggestions of STUFF TO NEVER TRASH NO MATTER WHAT that might not stand out.

Some people suggest keeping that weapon that has a bonus to NGU speed for Evil Mode but honestly I never used it and I don't feel the need. I'm pretty much doing exactly what you said, trashing old sets as soon as I have new ones fully online only keeping accessories, although I've trashed a few accessories as well once I had a clear upgrade available in terms of secondary stats.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 15, 2019

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Post poste posted:

I found is you could get bdw, you can get bae with a bit of advanced and it's easy to hit beast after that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
PPP does drop 1k boosts! I don't recommend farming them there as your ITOPOD should be dropping them far earlier and far more frequently than that!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Later zones may as well not even drop boosts, you get so much from the ITOPOD.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Garfu posted:

Squid Ink is actually really good. It's kinda Clicker Heroes-esque but there are a bunch more mechanics that blend well together

Squid Ink has the most infuriatingly unintuitive piece of poo poo interface i have ever used, in any software, on any device.

There is so much wasted space, so much chaff and detailing on each button, such a poo poo font, so many menus to click to get to where you want i couldn't stand playing it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ineptitude posted:

Squid Ink has the most infuriatingly unintuitive piece of poo poo interface i have ever used, in any software, on any device.

There is so much wasted space, so much chaff and detailing on each button, such a poo poo font, so many menus to click to get to where you want i couldn't stand playing it.

I agree. It also took me a few minutes to figure out how to actually collect my squid ink since it wasn't pointed out in the tutorial until way later.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

EF Beta

I'm really starting to get how things interact and how addictive combining cards is going to be. It's really hard to find menus though, any chance you could make it so you can click the token counts in the top and get a drop down of every menu that you spend them in? Some are going to require a card and probably not be possible to directly link to.

There is a lot going on. Some way to easily estimate DPS would be lovely in one of the stat panels (maybe I missed it). There is a lot to unpack with how stats work to make an optimal strategy I'm going to dig into that more. The depth is a very good thing.

Drawing lots of cards is really slow, when you open a pack it should reveal all 9 cards and you can hover over them like the card inventory screen. I woke up to a pile of draw coins and a massively reduced cost and it took a long time to open them all. You are going to live and die by how good your filters are and how easy it is to quickly find good cards and process "bad cards" out.

When placing cards early on I really want a filter for "main unit" (Human / monster) and "buff" (everything else) since I normally just need something that goes left, or something that will buff left maybe filtering for a specific stat. I think each buff has it's own stat groups which is good, but it's a bit of a guess.

I think an optimal strategy might be Human > Monster > Human > Monster ... since Monsters get double stats according to some screen, I kind of wantt to get a bunch of monsters with crit and attack and humans with crit / attack boost and chain that for massive damage. Of course the buff cards add to wanting a block of 3 cards that all benefit from the buff. Optimal layout will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shs
Feb 14, 2012
New build b36 is available (as of ~10 hours ago). Some changes:

The great text leviathan has been slain, its carcass divided into multiple menus
Battle grid arrows are on by default and are color coded to signify a neutral/boosted/null/item card link. If you're color blind... well, sorry.
An advice window will sometimes appear along the bottom of the screen. Most of the advice comes from the help section. A few have links that open the help section.
Popups at the start of the game are less intrusive.

the link

Toshimo posted:

SHS: This is sort of a core example problem I've had with this games (and your other games) that really separates it from what I consider to be a "complete" game.

I changed the faction menu layout.

I don't really how the Region Select menu is setup. If you want to help fix that one as well, I can probably find a way to make it worth your time later :wink:

pixaal posted:

EF Beta

I'm really starting to get how things interact and how addictive combining cards is going to be. It's really hard to find menus though, any chance you could make it so you can click the token counts in the top and get a drop down of every menu that you spend them in? Some are going to require a card and probably not be possible to directly link to.

There is a lot going on. Some way to easily estimate DPS would be lovely in one of the stat panels (maybe I missed it). There is a lot to unpack with how stats work to make an optimal strategy I'm going to dig into that more. The depth is a very good thing.

Drawing lots of cards is really slow, when you open a pack it should reveal all 9 cards and you can hover over them like the card inventory screen. I woke up to a pile of draw coins and a massively reduced cost and it took a long time to open them all. You are going to live and die by how good your filters are and how easy it is to quickly find good cards and process "bad cards" out.

When placing cards early on I really want a filter for "main unit" (Human / monster) and "buff" (everything else) since I normally just need something that goes left, or something that will buff left maybe filtering for a specific stat. I think each buff has it's own stat groups which is good, but it's a bit of a guess.

I think an optimal strategy might be Human > Monster > Human > Monster ... since Monsters get double stats according to some screen, I kind of wantt to get a bunch of monsters with crit and attack and humans with crit / attack boost and chain that for massive damage. Of course the buff cards add to wanting a block of 3 cards that all benefit from the buff. Optimal layout will

I can add something like: if you click on one of the currencies at the top of the screen, the new advice box will appear and list how to earn that currency and where it's spent. And/or a red exclamation mark is temporary added to the specific menus.

A dps estimate might happen but that's pretty difficult. The best you can do right now is to open the small stat summary panel and move it to the side of the screen.

A Support&Monster filter is something I've been meaning to add. Expect that to appear soon.

Strategy wise, I usually try to have setups like this:

1. A support card with some link boost, let's say attack
2. A monster card with attack, ideally boosted by an item card with attack
3. A support card that isn't effected by the monster card's null
4. A monster that benefits from card 3's link boost, also receives an item boost if possible
Repeat

Of course that requires a lot of very specific cards.