Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1084645686476365824

So bayonetta is gonna appear in the shin megami tensei mobile game.

I hope she appears in smt5.

More bayonetta collaborations please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Over There posted:

More bayonetta collaborations please

Yeah like Bayonetta and a kitchen trash can.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Bayonetta bread

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Okami would be a way better game if they had some kind of text-speed option. Getting two lines at a time drip-fed to you over the course of 5-10 minute cutscenes is brutal.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I can't wait for SMTV

I also wish atlus gave us quick n dirty ports of smtiv and smtiva...

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

LethalGeek posted:

My GF has had some similar :rant: at the lack of complete control over little bits of the system. You more a PC person too? Like you she is loving her new toy so much after adjusting to some console realities.

I play on both. In Nintendo's defense, I mis-remembered about being able to move software on the playstation 4 from internal to external harddrive as this is not possible. However I'm pretty sure you can select what the default download destination is without having to unplug the external drive. So that part about being annoyed with having to remove the sd card still stands. Exacerbated by the fact that the kickstand on mine is nigh impossible to open due to my trimmed nails :v:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I love to support indy developers or near indy developers, but I have never played a NMH title and the new one looks kind of disjointed and bad. I know it has a strong cult following but are these good games? Do the controls feel good, is the music good? I've never seen games have 9/10 reviews and 3/10 reviews from major outlets.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KingSlime posted:

I can't wait for SMTV

There’s a new SMash TV?!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Shammypants posted:

I love to support indy developers or near indy developers, but I have never played a NMH title and the new one looks kind of disjointed and bad. I know it has a strong cult following but are these good games? Do the controls feel good, is the music good? I've never seen games have 9/10 reviews and 3/10 reviews from major outlets.

I don't know of a single suda51 game that can claim this. Especially the "good" ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shammypants posted:

I really like No More Heroes 1 and 2 and to answer you question, no, they do not feel good to play and are basically art and style slathered ontop of extremely simplistic and often unfun game mechanics to make a video game about fighting people to the death.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

She would definitely fit right in, just like Dante in SMT3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KingSlime posted:

I can't wait for SMTV

I've been really hoping we would hear something more about Shin Megami Tensei V soon. All we've gotten so far is the announcement trailer on October 23, 2017 and then complete silence. It's even more painful because there won't be a world wide release at first, whatever date we get will be for Japan only and then who knows how long it'll take for an english release.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm really enjoying NSMBUD, except that the save system loving sucks. Just let me do a full save at any time!

Otherwise it's a very fun multi-player game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bayonetta's in everything these days.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Just a heads up, if anyone is interested in Inti-Creates "Dragon: Marked For Death", It appears pre-loading it gets you both versions of characters? (Citation Needed)

Basically, its a class-based multiplayer Megaman Zero-ish game. They're selling two versions of the game (Each 14.99), with 2 characters each, 2 "Beginner" types and 2 "Advanced" types. Leaving the opposite games characters purchasable via DLC (Which are 14.99)

Currently, I bought the "Beginner" characters, which locked out purchasing the other game. I honestly can't tell if I got the full character roster for pre-ordering, but I'd like to hope?? Cause the game kind of looks amazing.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bayonetta's in everything these days.

I'd buy NSMBUD if they added a Bayonetta mode

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Just a heads up, if anyone is interested in Inti-Creates "Dragon: Marked For Death", It appears pre-loading it gets you both versions of characters? (Citation Needed)

Basically, its a class-based multiplayer Megaman Zero-ish game. They're selling two versions of the game (Each 14.99), with 2 characters each, 2 "Beginner" types and 2 "Advanced" types. Leaving the opposite games characters purchasable via DLC (Which are 14.99)

Currently, I bought the "Beginner" characters, which locked out purchasing the other game. I honestly can't tell if I got the full character roster for pre-ordering, but I'd like to hope?? Cause the game kind of looks amazing.

Oh wow that game comes out on the 31st?? I love inti, this is a must buy for me.

Hopefully it doesn't end up mediocre or too grindy, inti does love unnecessary grind in their games and "class based multiplayer" almost always means "run through the same five levels over and over again, isn't this fun??"

still, I'm down to pick it up unless it bombs exceptionally hard

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Oh wow that game comes out on the 31st?? I love inti, this is a must buy for me.

Hopefully it doesn't end up mediocre or too grindy, inti does love unnecessary grind in their games and "class based multiplayer" almost always means "run through the same five levels over and over again, isn't this fun??"

still, I'm down to pick it up unless it bombs exceptionally hard

I'd say 14.99 is about a good enough threshold for me to say "Well this is worth trying out!"

I saw some gameplay when I was at MAGFest and was pretty pumped about it, didnt Megaman Zero have a similar quest system, just without Multiplayer?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Fancy Hat! posted:

Oh wow I just looked up the trailer and it looks like a lot of fun. I'll probably wait for the reviews, though; I'm looking around and can't find anything to support the idea that you get them all for preloading one game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
So getting all the classes etc runs $30? Sounds reasonable given that that's what a mega Man zero game ran for. Provided that there is enough content to support that price tag of course.

For reference mega Man zero games usually have 13-16 stages, and while they do have sidequests etc the main game structure was your typical defeat bosses, go through mid game level, defeat more bosses, proceed to 3-4 castle stages format with the obligatory boss rush

They sometimes reused assets or levels, yeah, but usually each mission was different enough and there was always a unique boss. It wasn't until gunvolt that inti leaned hard on "replay the stages over and over again for loot." Though grinding crystals to level up elfs could get annoying, and having to level up your weapons in z1 and z2 was a total misstep that they corrected in the later games.

You couldn't even charge up the saber until you leveled it up to like lv 3 or 4, it was dumb. Anyways this game isn't mega Man zero or anything like that, so we'll see what's up. I'm cautiously optimistic

E: this write up made me reminisce on the zero games...they were so, so, so good. Peak mega Man imo, I say that as a huge fan of the classic and x series. They ain't got poo poo on zero

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 14, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was thinking it looked more like ZX

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
ZX and ZXA were a very respectable follow up, not quite as good as the zero games but still very competent and very fun mega man-likes. Lengthwise they stack up about the same as the zero games, and ZXA lets you straight up transform into the bosses themselves rather than just giving you their weapon. Muy cool.

They also used the phrase Mega Men on a regular basis to describe protagonists/bosses which adds bonus points imo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So in NSMBUD I watched a video or two featuring Mario riding Yoshi. This is cool. How often does he show up in the new game? Is he a gimmick that only shows up once or twice throughout the game or is he a regular here?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

So in NSMBUD I watched a video or two featuring Mario riding Yoshi. This is cool. How often does he show up in the new game? Is he a gimmick that only shows up once or twice throughout the game or is he a regular here?

Normal Yoshi shows up, as well as different types of Baby Yoshis, Im currently aware of the Yellow Type that Glows in the Dark, and a Purple Type that blows up like a balloon in more vertical stages.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't know of a single suda51 game that can claim this. Especially the "good" ones.

Suda51 really needs to team up with Platinum.

That said: I fuckin loved NMH1 and 2 and I have pre-ordered Travis Strikes Back so that we can maybe have a NMH3

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

GreatGreen posted:

I'm not super far in but I'd say he's in like ~10-15% of the levels so far. When you finish a level with him you don't get to bring him along to the next one in like SMW.

Fancy Hat! posted:

Normal Yoshi shows up, as well as different types of Baby Yoshis, Im currently aware of the Yellow Type that Glows in the Dark, and a Purple Type that blows up like a balloon in more vertical stages.

yeah more like 20% maybe if you count the baby yoshis. they never grow into an "adult" one but they have unique powers that the levels are designed around, it's neat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what suda51 should really do is escape from grasshopper entirely, go into the mountains for five years and emerge with a new name and face to make bizarre budget mobile titles or something

the games industry utterly destroyed the man and while i'd like for him to try and stage some sort of comeback i'm not hopeful

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

By the way, if you guys want an in-depth Dragon Marked For Death quicklook, Inti-Creates gave a MAGFest Stream an early copy to show off for about 2 hours. They show off single & multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE1LhuCrlso

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Suda51 really needs to team up with Platinum.

That said: I fuckin loved NMH1 and 2 and I have pre-ordered Travis Strikes Back so that we can maybe have a NMH3

Yoko Taro is kind of similar to Suda51 i.e. artsy madman who crafts bizarre loving games. The difference is Yoko Taro finally got to work with a developer like Platinum so for once he made a game that was legit playable and not outright clunky. As others have said, Killer7 and the NMH games have some weirdass design decisions that would have gone better with a stronger team.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GreatGreen posted:

A very important point about the baby Yoshis: they sing along with the background music and it is super adorable.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Fancy Hat! posted:

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm not super far in but I'd say he's in like ~10-15% of the levels so far. When you finish a level with him you don't get to bring him along to the next one in like SMW.

yeah more like 20% maybe if you count the baby yoshis. they never grow into an "adult" one but they have unique powers that the levels are designed around, it's neat

Silver Falcon posted:

A very important point about the baby Yoshis: they sing along with the background music and it is super adorable.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Powerups have always been the highlight of Mario games to me (the physics aside) and Yoshi has always been kind of the ultimate Mario powerup. I didn't notice him in promo videos so it's good to know he's still around.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm going to beat the poo poo out of a Arch Tempered Great Jagras one day with Bayonetta.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Shammypants posted:

Grasshopper mfg's motto, "punks not dead", appears on the logo when their games boot up. And yeah its fitting, they make "punk" video games inasmuch as the games are rough around the edges but you can tell there's passion behind it all. Gameplay is adequate but the charm/personality of the games are what really make them worthwhile, imo.

Music is often bizarre but usually a high point of the games. Controls are usually adequate but there are often issues (anyone remember jumping as shinobu in NMH2??). I mean there are times you have to outright power through a bad section of the games. Having said all that, NMH and NMH2 are 2 of the most memorable games I've ever played, and for my money that really stands for something.

I liked shadows of the damned and killer 7. Never played that chainsaw lollipop game.

As for travis strikes back...I havent seen anything that really interests me in the game, but I might check it out anyway just due to...loyalty? I guess?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lollipop Chainsaw comes from Suda's dark age where people (mostly Western studios) just wanted his "wacky" brand post-NMH. I don't like much of any of the new stuff he did between NMH2 and LET IT DIE. For as much as I waffle on NMH: TSA, at least he hasn't skipped a beat when it comes to art direction and has evolved further thanks to LID's live action influence!

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

I didn't think I was squeezing that hard :(

Here's a weird question. There was a shrine where you had to gyro control a ball through a maze, and I could not finesse that at all, so instead i flipped the whole maze upside down and when the ball fell i just used the upside down maze as a pinball flipper to shoot the ball where it was supposed to go. does this make me an idiot or a genius?

I think this is how it was meant to be solved based on how satisfying it is every time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

I didn't think I was squeezing that hard :(

Here's a weird question. There was a shrine where you had to gyro control a ball through a maze, and I could not finesse that at all, so instead i flipped the whole maze upside down and when the ball fell i just used the upside down maze as a pinball flipper to shoot the ball where it was supposed to go. does this make me an idiot or a genius?

I did it your way, then handed it to my wife and watched her do it on the SIDE of the thing, like grinding the rail on its edge, and she didn't even have to pinball flip the ball over, it just rolled straight off naturally.

Honestly, the most memorable part of the whole game for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zibidibodel posted:

I think this is how it was meant to be solved based on how satisfying it is every time.

I would bet a poll would make it 50/50, yeah. Or at least 66/33

there was no loving way I was going to try to navigate that maze when the game already taught me I could abuse physics to play pinball :colbert:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

I'm going to beat the poo poo out of a Arch Tempered Great Jagras one day with Bayonetta.

clobberin' Xenojiva with my fortnite frying pan and my good pals Bayonetta and Geralt

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Grasshopper games are a lot like punk records in that there have only been two good ones in the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Weedle posted:

Grasshopper games are a lot like punk records in that there have only been two good ones in the last decade.

but green day has released like 5 albums this decade??