Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
That's simply highway robbery for an equity trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Subjunctive posted:

Depends a lot on the AUM, I guess.
(I meant AUA, sorry about that... AUM almost surely can just have a standard fee applied, AUA includes things like non-adviser-controlled 401k's etc.)

I pay $0 for my management fees. So anything higher than that feels like highway robbery. Self administered FTW.

I don't think an AUA fee can be charged for 401k or IRA's, so the manager needs to make it up somewhere else - I assume that posters manager has a set fee schedule to make up for it. Sure sounds like it. Highway robbery IMO. Especially if you're contributing 12-26x/yr!

Help: Marrying someone with bad debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/afhewt/help_marrying_someone_with_bad_debt/

quote:

Hi there...please help me relax. I just discovered the following about my fiancé:

$1K in collections from past credit cards.

A horrible $12K auto loan at 22% APR. 60mo term.

Credit score 464.

I am mostly worried about the first point... If she never pays those debts, what will happen to me, to her? Will I be liable for all of this? FYI We will get married in Oregon. Then plan to move to Arizona in a few years.

Please help. I am worried.

quote:

I pulled the credit report. This is all that is going on. Honestly, I want to know that I don’t need to be liable for this. I want to know that in theory, we will be ok if we just keep things separate, being that the debt is all in her name, not ours. She has closed all her credit cards and is on time with her car payments. I just want to know if it’s possible to not be liable for this even after marriage?
They had a kid together, and she apparently really doesn't have other debts. The guy really doesn't seem to want to help clear the $13k in collections + predatory loans. Or I'm just not reading his tone right...

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 13, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

r/askcarsales can be really good to read through every once in a while:

quote:

I literally got an email from a guy once who is $25k upside down on a Toyota Yaris. “Please let me trade my car” I laughed really hard but deep down it broke my tiny black heart.

Don’t read the posts from car sales people complaining about not wanting to pay loads of fees or way above msrp though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Not putting money in index funds is bwm

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1084534980582277120

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

brugroffil posted:

Not putting money in index funds is bwm

your index funds had positive returns in 2018?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Devonaut posted:

your index funds had positive returns in 2018?

My index fund definitely didn't drop by 28 loving percent.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah but my Congressman Company Relationship Hedge Fund is different!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Yeah no poo poo.

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a70779055/government-shutdown-emergency-fund?cpg=1

This lady's husband is a federal employee, she is a stay at home mom, they have 3 kids, 1 on the way, and they only had a $1000 emergency fund :psypop:

Later in the comments she said he missed one paycheck and she's already signed up for WIC and they went to a food bank.

It's about to get real bad. As in they're trying to pay the federal WIC fudning for February out to the States early because their mandate for funding ends 31 Jan and they're positive the government isn't going to be back operating in time.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Liquid Communism posted:

It's about to get real bad. As in they're trying to pay the federal WIC fudning for February out to the States early because their mandate for funding ends 31 Jan and they're positive the government isn't going to be back operating in time.
The Dear Leader said it could be years, he really wants Mexico to give him his precast reinforced concrete wall.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
So with Trump losing support in the polls its unlikely that the Dems are going to back down. So who thinks Trump will (is even capable) of backing down?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BattleMoose posted:

So with Trump losing support in the polls its unlikely that the Dems are going to back down. So who thinks Trump will (is even capable) of backing down?

The second the government reopens the headlines will be around the Mueller report. It is not at all a coincidence that this sudden border "emergency" is timed along with when that report is due to come out. There is no backing down on the budget because this isn't about the budget.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Did you buy that house or not? I need to know which direction to post about it in here.

House bought. :ohdear:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 14, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

House bought. :ohdear:

BWM: not fleecing your Comcast exec previous owner for $15k more.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I'm no legal scholar but why doesn't Trump just declare a national emergency to fund the wall and then Congress can re-open the government? Ultimately, funding the wall via national emergency will get blocked by the courts and will never be built. Government gets to re-open and Trump can kick the can / shift blame for it not being built to the courts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sock The Great posted:

I'm no legal scholar but why doesn't Trump just declare a national emergency to fund the wall and then Congress can re-open the government? Ultimately, funding the wall via national emergency will get blocked by the courts and will never be built. Government gets to re-open and Trump can kick the can / shift blame for it not being built to the courts.

That's a big loving can of worms and despite the outward appearance of him just doing whatever he wants he's been more successful than not of knowing which lines to cross and which ones to respect. Having precedent set from the courts on limits on National Emergencies is not something anyone is super keen on doing, which is why his advisers have been telling him not to do it.

Some Content

Just lost more than $225 dollars because I didnt know tap was usimg my savings account.

quote:

Anything I can do about this? My bank recently implemented a $25 service charge every time you do a transaction with your savings account. I've been against tap for a long time but recently gave in and got a new debit card. No one told me that the tap uses your savings account and I've been just using it willy nilly for coffee and gas etc. I was looking over my spending in the last month and noticed a $225 dollar service charge that ,I had no idea about. Checked my transactions and sure enough they'd all been going through my savings. Any way I can get the bank to reverse it?

Edit: Had a $60 charge from the previous month as well. Shouldn't they notify you when they are charging you like this?

Banks are the loving worst

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

Some Content

Just lost more than $225 dollars because I didnt know tap was usimg my savings account.

Banks are the loving worst

If this is in the US then he's likely hit the federal rule that transactions in excess of 6 per month in a "savings" account must incur a fee. It was made way back in the day to encourage not tapping into your savings.

Super dumb that his bank let him do that but still likely on him.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't sound like he's talking about withdrawals from savings, but certain types of electronic transactions. I remember once we had an issue where we were letting customers withdraw too much from savings accounts and corporate got freaked out and added a bunch of stricter rules. The amount banks have to keep in reserve is more for savings than checking, so letting people use their savings as a checking can really gently caress up your balance sheets.

Or maybe the bank had a smaller fee structure and people were still making too many withdrawals. It's easier to get a savings account if you are a bad credit risk so people have tried to use them as pseudo-checking accounts. Still sounds like he should get a new bank (right after he gets them to refund as many of those fees as possible).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm confused by the line, "I've been against tap for a long time but recently gave in and got a new debit card." That makes it sound like tap (which I guess is a tap-to-pay thing?) was hooked up to the savings account from the start. Additionally, where did OP think the money was coming from?

Yeah, $25 per transaction is a lot, but to me it sounds like OP should have been paying more attention.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

~~Tale as old as time~~

I'm impressed at my friends stupidity

quote:

I got a friend in the Army, I tried to help him buy a car. But he as a FICO of 450 and an avg daily balance in his checking account of negative $205. He says its ok because his bank allows him to go as much as $300 negative...he's also a PFC and makes like $2,000 a month.

Anyway he tried to buy a Journey, he has nothing to put down. Had he even been approved he would have needed the dealer to front his downpayment on his insurance would have been like $150

He just texted me that he's put down a $500 non refundable deposit on a 2005 Maserati Quattroporte with over 125,000 miles.

To say I'm impressed with his stupidity is an understatement.

He's 20 yrs old.

Even if some bank decides to finance a guy that makes $2k a month on a 100k+ mile 14 yr old Maserati the insurance alone will destroy him. And even if he's able to get past that, the very first repair bill will destroy him. He showed me his bank account (he only has one) he's CONSTANTLY carrying a negative balance in his checking account.

He asked me whats going happen. I told him he's going get declined on financing and the dealer is going keep his $500

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Some 20 year old army guy buying a 2005 Maserati with 125k miles on it? Stop I can only get so erect.

I wonder if any bank would finance that.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I'm honestly surprised he is being allowed to carry a constant negative balance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Some 20 year old army guy buying a 2005 Maserati with 125k miles on it? Stop I can only get so erect.

I wonder if any bank would finance that.

Military guarantees you will pay your loans as I recall. It's paperwork they hand to your CO once you don't make a payment and it comes straight out of your paycheck.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I'm honestly surprised he is being allowed to carry a constant negative balance.

It likely goes briefly positive when he gets paid, then it goes negative when he hits the bars.

That being said this is amazing. It's so much better in every way than an old (or new) mustang.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
at least a mustang is reliable god drat

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Kind of surprised a 2006 Quattroporte with 125k miles can’t be bought outright for $500, because seriously that’s about all it’s worth at this point.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Guinness posted:

Kind of surprised a 2006 Quattroporte with 125k miles can’t be bought outright for $500, because seriously that’s about all it’s worth at this point.

I bet the salesman’s eyes changed to $$ in a cartoonish way when he found out that this idiot was in the Army and made up a price. “Yeah, it’ll be $2500, oh, plus $500”

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

Military guarantees you will pay your loans as I recall. It's paperwork they hand to your CO once you don't make a payment and it comes straight out of your paycheck.

It likely goes briefly positive when he gets paid, then it goes negative when he hits the bars.

That being said this is amazing. It's so much better in every way than an old (or new) mustang.

That isn't how it works. How it works is, double-jeopardy doesn't apply to service members, meaning both civilian law AND the UCMJ are in force, and you can (and people do) get turbo-hosed by both.

A common example is drunk driving: Should you be the unfortunate soul who gets a DWI off base, local/state courts has a crack at you first, and then the UCMJ comes behind them and rams the stick further up your rear end in military court.

For debts, the UCMJ is an easy and clear cut path to getting money back from otherwise recalcitrant privates. It's not a loan guarantee - the government isn't going to pay for it, other than by taking it from what they are already paying Pvt. Shitbag, and if Pvt. Shitbag is chaptered out before the debt is paid off Uncle Sam doesn't make up the difference.

It is, however, much easier to collect, and has the benefit of getting the debtor in deep poo poo with their command, which helps goad things along even further.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I'd be real surprised if he's been doing this more than a month or two. They'll wait until it goes positive again, take the money to cover the fees/overage, then immediately cut him off from overdraws and/or close the account. My guess is 90 days at most.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Guinness posted:

Cacafuego posted:

I bet the salesman’s eyes changed to $$ in a cartoonish way when he found out that this idiot was in the Army and made up a price. “Yeah, it’ll be $2500, oh, plus $500”

This may be the saving grace, he might have only spent a couple grand on a poo poo care rather than 40 grand on a Truck. On the scales of PFC-spending-habits this might actually be above median.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lockback posted:

This may be the saving grace, he might have only spent a couple grand on a poo poo care rather than 40 grand on a Truck. On the scales of PFC-spending-habits this might actually be above median.

I just took a look out of grim curiosity and it looks like they run in the mid-teens used.

Anyone like gambling?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Guinness posted:

i would buy a 2006 quattroporte with 125k miles for $500, that's probably GWM at that price

It looks like a well-maintained low mileage GT-S with the good ZF transmission is like $23K, so he'll be max in the hole like, $10,000 - only 6 mos pay (at 27.9% interest!)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I’m 26 and I make six figures a year. My girlfriend and I have been seriously considering quitting our jobs and living in a van. Am I insane?

quote:

Recently my girlfriend and I have been seriously considering leaving our well paying jobs in order to take a shot at this whole van life thing.

We both are really into the outdoors.. camping, backpacking, etc. We already live pretty minimally in an 800 sq ft apartment and don’t foresee the limited space being an issue.

Ive been a software engineer for a year professionally now and I am planning on leaving my current position in April due to a few reasons. I don’t feel like I’m growing, poor management and immature coworkers to make a few.

My biggest concern doing this is putting a setback in my professional life and getting in a bad financial situation.

My current financials are: 92.5k salary ~10k in savings ~7k in retirement $20k debt - all student loans that are <5% interest, I will get several bonuses by April so I plan to have this all paid off before we leave, possible with some leftover.

I plan on working another month or so after April and saving an extra 5-7k for the van.

We are looking to buy and build out a van that would end up costing ~10k each when all is said and done.

There is a good chance I will be able to find part time remote work that should be enough for daily expenses. We haven’t really discussed how long we plan on living in the van, but we both have intentions of “coming back” in a not so long amount of time. (Max 1 year?)

It’s super exciting but I still have anxiety that this is a pipe dream and it would screw me over.

Am I crazy?

TLDR: I make 92.5k a year at a job I’m checked out of, should be debt free by time of departure, ~10k in savings. Am I totally screwing myself over by quitting my job and living in a van?
Bolded part makes me roll my eyes pretty hard. "I've been a software engineer for a year. I can find remote jobs now, right?"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i'm spending only $10k for the van

edit: i'm also the 92.5k = six figgies math

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I love it when people assume bonuses will always be there for them.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i'm spending only $10k for the van

edit: i'm also the 92.5k = six figgies math

He also is rounding up on his employment time, he apparently started in February, so not even a year.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
If only there was some sort of middle ground between his $92,500/year job and being homeless.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Easychair Bootson posted:

If only there was some sort of middle ground between his $92,500/year job and being homeless.
Impossible. He is 26. Full of dreams. Unshackled. Uncontained. There cannot and never will be a soul freer than his. He must fly. He must live in a van for two months until his girlfriend gets really sick of him and disappears on their pit stop through Boulder, taking their petty cash with her. He works remotely, you understand. Like the wind.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"We already live pretty minimally in an 800 sq ft apartment and don’t foresee the limited space being an issue."

Does this guy know vans are like 60sf??

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

I'd be real surprised if he's been doing this more than a month or two. They'll wait until it goes positive again, take the money to cover the fees/overage, then immediately cut him off from overdraws and/or close the account. My guess is 90 days at most.

Why would they do that? You allow three figures in overdraft privilege, collect ~$100 in fees every month... locking him out of that would be very BWM on the bank's part, especially since they probably know he's in the military and they can always go to his CO if he stops paying.

Hoodwinker posted:

Impossible. He is 26. Full of dreams. Unshackled. Uncontained. There cannot and never will be a soul freer than his. He must fly. He must live in a van for two months until his girlfriend gets really sick of him and disappears on their pit stop through Boulder, taking their petty cash with her. He works remotely, you understand. Like the wind.

FW:RE: A ticket came in: Please give The Wind VPN access

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had friends who did a fairly similar thing but they both put in a lot more time at their jobs, made more money and stashed more of it away, had a real plan of how to make money, and also spent like $35K on an upfit ProMaster with good creature comforts.

They also tried out RVing for a couple weeks first to make sure they liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I worked with a guy who rocketed to the top of our department, blew up at some people in a public meeting, and then "quit" to travel the country in his van. The van broke down like a month later.

basically icarus