Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Try to make a Mount Rushmore exclusively with wrestlers who aren't/weren't at some point pieces of poo poo. There's a challenge for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

Try to make a Mount Rushmore exclusively with wrestlers who aren't/weren't at some point pieces of poo poo. There's a challenge for ya

Roman Reigns, Roman Reigns, Roman Reigns, and Roman Reigns

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

Unfair, even the regular Mount Rushmore isn't held to this standard.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

extradite THIS! posted:

Molly Holly, Kairi Sane, John Tenta, Okada

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Smoking Crow posted:

How can you say Terry Funk isn't the greatest when he called Jerry Lawler a pedophile and beat up Mel Philips

This, plus threatening to beat the poo poo out of a horse after it kicked him in the head during a match on Nitro.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TL posted:

Similarly, the Raw that had the hour long Michaels-Cena match was also advertising a Randy Orton-Edge match that never happened as the previous match “ran long”. I love the rare occasions they do that, it helps with the presentation of it as an actual sport.

I think I remember Edge and Orton then using that as storyline motivation to put on a pretty great match the next week(?) which wouldn't have made as much sense otherwise since they were buddies at the time and didn't really have any incentive to go all-out against each other until HBK/Cena got everybody fired up.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Tato posted:

Are the tape libraries for USWA Memphis still in legal limbo? I know it's a complete mess since there were so many ownership shares in the company that changed hands so many times as well as some bankruptcies in there.
Sort of. As best as I can deduce it:

Memphis TV never ran with a copyright notice at the end of shows, and Jarrett never registered the shows with the U.S. copyright office. That means that everything before March 1, 1989 is public domain: https://copyright.cornell.edu/publicdomain

This is why Lawler, despite his recurring claims to the contrary, has no chance of selling anything to WWE: Not only would they be purchasing no copyright to the best stuff, but there's no real master library to go with it. Even the tapes that Lawler saved over the years is pretty minimal and eventually ended up in the hands of a picker in Jonesboro after Randy Hales got rid of them.

For March '89 through the end, it's trickier. WWE appears to own the rights of Jarrett-era Dallas footage and the Tennessee/Kentucky tapings they did while out of Dallas in late 1990, though it's unclear who they bought that and the GWF footage from. (There was no announcement publicly, nor a note in the WWE SEC filings.) For the main Memphis shows, that's where everything is really in limbo, especially from January 1990-on when they used the USWA name. There's a belief that Lawler only sold "the USWA" to the Selkers, but I dunno if that's true. And whoever put USWA era stuff on Amazon Prime Video appears to just be a random who got it past their screening. As for master tapes, Bill Behrens has some from that era as well as safety copies since he syndicated the TV, and that may be all that's out there.

Basically, pre-March '89 you can do whatever you want without restriction, and from then on you probably wouldn't be bothered by anyone but someone still may own the rights. And if you're selling stuff at a show where Lawler is working, he'll probably get angry at you, especially if his picture is on the cover, but he's likely unable to actually do anything.

There's also the whole matter of the Highspots/Cory Maclin/Lawler thing, which...just read this: http://web.archive.org/web/20101227...stling-footage/

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

davidbix posted:

Memphis TV never ran with a copyright notice at the end of shows, and Jarrett never registered the shows with the U.S. copyright office. That means that everything before March 1, 1989 is public domain: https://copyright.cornell.edu/publicdomain

This is why Lawler, despite his recurring claims to the contrary, has no chance of selling anything to WWE: Not only would they be purchasing no copyright to the best stuff, but there's no real master library to go with it. Even the tapes that Lawler saved over the years is pretty minimal and eventually ended up in the hands of a picker in Jonesboro after Randy Hales got rid of them.

For March '89 through the end, it's trickier. WWE appears to own the rights of Jarrett-era Dallas footage and the Tennessee/Kentucky tapings they did while out of Dallas in late 1990, though it's unclear who they bought that and the GWF footage from. (There was no announcement publicly, nor a note in the WWE SEC filings.) For the main Memphis shows, that's where everything is really in limbo, especially from January 1990-on when they used the USWA name. There's a belief that Lawler only sold "the USWA" to the Selkers, but I dunno if that's true. And whoever put USWA era stuff on Amazon Prime Video appears to just be a random who got it past their screening. As for master tapes, Bill Behrens has some from that era as well as safety copies since he syndicated the TV, and that may be all that's out there.

Basically, pre-March '89 you can do whatever you want without restriction, and from then on you probably wouldn't be bothered by anyone but someone still may own the rights. And if you're selling stuff at a show where Lawler is working, he'll probably get angry at you, especially if his picture is on the cover, but he's likely unable to actually do anything.

There's also the whole matter of the Highspots/Cory Maclin/Lawler thing, which...just read this: http://web.archive.org/web/20101227...stling-footage/

what does this mean for the copyright status of the New Generation video

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So has Lawler just always been a scumbag? The more time goes on, it seems all he ever had going for him was the Kaufman feud and his initial run with JR on commentary.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

jerry lawler had sex with some kids but he's also one of the greatest territorial babyfaces ever

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Smoking Crow posted:

jerry lawler had sex with some kids but he's also one of the greatest territorial babyfaces ever
Good summary.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lawler was a great wrestler who worked a limited style to great effect for a long time, and he has also always been a scumbag.

Rule 1 of the 2010s
Big in the 70s? Probably a sex pest.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I wasn't even watching at the time but every time I see reference to the HHH/Booker T feud for WMXIX I get upset all over again. Has whoever was responsible for writing Booker to lose that match (I assume Hunter, given the time period) expressed regret about it in interviews in the years since?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

TriffTshngo posted:

I wasn't even watching at the time but every time I see reference to the HHH/Booker T feud for WMXIX I get upset all over again. Has whoever was responsible for writing Booker to lose that match (I assume Hunter, given the time period) expressed regret about it in interviews in the years since?

I can't remember if Prichard was on the creative team at the time but he expressed no regrets on the Conrad podcast. Also argued that HHH's promos weren't racist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TriffTshngo posted:

No, no, no! It wasn't Hunter! He's explicitly said that while he was in the ROOM while they were booking that match, he didn't say anything!!

Meanwhile, Booker wasn't allowed to sit in.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why did David Arquette decide to get back into wrestling and take it seriously?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's legitimately a big fan. But honestly, his biggest and most successful role was Never Been Kissed with Drew Barrymore, and he's probably better remembered by wrestling fans than by anybody else. Doing some indie matches and podcast interviews is probably not a waste of time for him as far as publicity is concerned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's probably better remembered for marrying Courtney Cox than anything he did.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

He's remembered by me for making a bunch of middle aged Courtney Cox fans learn what a deathmatch is and who "The King" Nick F'n Gage mdk is

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

davidbix posted:

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all the information. I've been reading more and more stuff about USWA and am interested in them since they lasted so long, even though the last few years of flea market shows was really sad. I guess I'll just go watch on Youtube and Amazon Prime, was hoping some good quality master tapes had a chance of getting preserved on the Network. Alas.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

He's legitimately a big fan. But honestly, his biggest and most successful role was Never Been Kissed with Drew Barrymore, and he's probably better remembered by wrestling fans than by anybody else. Doing some indie matches and podcast interviews is probably not a waste of time for him as far as publicity is concerned.

he was Deputy Dewey in all of the Scream movies

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
He's also made enough money that he can go and do whatever he wants.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Andre have a bunch of extra teeth?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

No his teeth were thumb sized but also laid out like a sharks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He's probably better remembered for marrying Courtney Cox than anything he did.

Eight-Legged Freaks is pretty good.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sodomy Hussein posted:

:emptyquote:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sodomy Hussein posted:

He was also in Airheads, another great movie.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CombineThresher posted:

He was also in Airheads, another great movie.

Man, Airheads is great. Love that movie. '

"I filled them with hot sauce."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Do your favorite wrestlers actually like each other or did they like each other(if they're dead)?

All the people I know and like hate each other's guts.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Halloween Jack posted:

it's wild how we as a society have forgotten the scream films. not singling you out, but honestly, that ghost face mask was the most common Halloween item for a decade and when is the last time you heard someone mention any of those movies?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

shiksa posted:

it's wild how we as a society have forgotten the scream films. not singling you out, but honestly, that ghost face mask was the most common Halloween item for a decade and when is the last time you heard someone mention any of those movies?

I'm glad for this, because the sheer volume of saturation at the time was unbearable. You can lump into that the Wayans parodies.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I think I mostly remember Arquette from the 1800-CALL-ATT commercials

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

shiksa posted:

Didn't they make like a TV show sometime in the last couple of years, or was that just a weird dream I had?

Haha holy poo poo, no. They did :stare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_(TV_series)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was Hasbro pissed off at WWF for Slaughter turning heel and an Iraqi sympathizer during the Gulf War because they had figures and commercials and episodes featuring him?

I asked this a few days ago, I figured MRT would have some sort of an answer. I’m really interested because, from what I read, he originally left WWF because of the Hasbro GI Joe deal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shiksa posted:

I originally typed all 3 Scream movies and then remembered there was a 4th

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The fourth movie almost had a really cool ending, then it kept going and wasn't

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://twitter.com/DavidArquette/status/1021448437558996992

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I asked this a few days ago, I figured MRT would have some sort of an answer. I’m really interested because, from what I read, he originally left WWF because of the Hasbro GI Joe deal.

I honestly don't know a lot about it. The rumor is that Slaughter lost the GI Joe deal because of that angle, but I've never heard him say that in an interview. He's definitely said he left because of the GI Joe deal. He appeared in episodes after he turned heel, but they may have been in the can before the turn. I believe all he's said is he lost it when he returned to the WWF for the same reasons he left when he got it.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 16, 2019

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Do your favorite wrestlers actually like each other or did they like each other(if they're dead)?

All the people I know and like hate each other's guts.

Three of my favorite wrestlers are AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Christopher Daniels, and they're apparently lifelong best friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

MassRafTer posted:

I honestly don't know a lot about it. The rumor is that Slaughter lost the GI Joe deal because of that angle, but I've never heard him say that in an interview. He's definitely said he left because of the GI Joe deal. He appeared in episodes after he turned heel, but they may have been in the can before the turn. I believe all he's said is he lost it when he returned to the WWF for the same reasons he left when he got it.

If Slaughter lost the deal when he returned in 1990, I'm assuming the toyline was kind of waning in popularity as well at that point. I wonder if they also might have wanted to save money at Hasbro at the time because of that so letting him go was a smarter decision than keeping him on.