Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lancemantis posted:

don't most US companies just keep a dirt list so they can always fire you with cause?

if your state is right to work (an Orwellian term if ever) then they won't need to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's almost always two weeks paid, because even in the united states, firing employees without cause is a very bad idea

(if you gave three months notice, you would probably get three months paid. but two weeks is traditional.)

haha when I gave notice at my job (literally the one I got 3 months ago, what a loving mistake that was). My boss's boss gave me a hard pitch to stay: cooler work is coming up, blah blah... that was it basically, he clearly wanted to keep me but didn't have much in the way of things he could offer.

Anyway, i told him sorry no thanks and while amicable to my face, literally 5 minutes later my boss wants to chat: he heard my decision hadn't changed and they wanted to move my 2 weeks down to something shorter... like 3 days. They were afraid I'd get "bored".

But whatever, I wanted a break and I got one, my next job will almost certainly be at a big company, I need a big name on my resume and they weren't it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

if your state is right to work (an Orwellian term if ever) then they won't need to

they still need to, whether your state is "right to work" or not. "Right to work" just means you will have a hard time forming a union.

there are still very good reasons to avoid firing an employee without cause. it's a legal hassle. unemployment insurance ain't free. etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

don't most US companies just keep a dirt list so they can always fire you with cause?

if your employer has begun collecting dirt on you in order to fire you with cause, they generally inform you of that fact with the orwellian "performance improvement plan"

it's easier for them if you leave of your own free will, rather than them being forced to fire you

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ADINSX posted:

haha when I gave notice at my job (literally the one I got 3 months ago, what a loving mistake that was). My boss's boss gave me a hard pitch to stay: cooler work is coming up, blah blah... that was it basically, he clearly wanted to keep me but didn't have much in the way of things he could offer.

Anyway, i told him sorry no thanks and while amicable to my face, literally 5 minutes later my boss wants to chat: he heard my decision hadn't changed and they wanted to move my 2 weeks down to something shorter... like 3 days. They were afraid I'd get "bored".

But whatever, I wanted a break and I got one, my next job will almost certainly be at a big company, I need a big name on my resume and they weren't it.

I legit hope this happens when I give notice in a week. I'd relish the extra time off and tbh I'd probably make the lost wages back on my first paycheck.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ADINSX posted:

they were bluffing

if you'd twisted their arms you coulda got more money

qhat posted:

I legit hope this happens when I give notice in a week. I'd relish the extra time off and tbh I'd probably make the lost wages back on my first paycheck.

if they offer to move up your end date, inform your boss that you would be more than happy to take the balance of your two weeks as pto ;)

i mean, seriously, you do your employer a big favor by offering two weeks of notice.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they still need to, whether your state is "right to work" or not. "Right to work" just means you will have a hard time forming a union.

there are still very good reasons to avoid firing an employee without cause. it's a legal hassle. unemployment insurance ain't free. etc

He meant at-will

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they were bluffing

if you'd twisted their arms you coulda got more money

The main reason I took the job is because a friend worked there, it was already weird enough as it is leaving after 3 months because the job was awful. I didn't wanna make things more awkward.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ratbert90 posted:

He meant at-will

i did

and probably outed myself as not american

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Boiled Water posted:

i did

and probably outed myself as not american

most Americans confuse them

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

raminasi posted:

most Americans confuse them

poo poo what’s difference

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

He meant at-will

42 states are at-will employment. even in at-will employment states, your employer has extremely good reasons not to fire you without cause

your employer has three good ways to get rid of you:
  • convincing you to leave
    (this could, technically, become "constructive dismissal" if they go too far. but it still beats being fired without cause.)

• layoffs
    (if you lay people off in bulk, technically they're not being fired for cause! they could come back.)

• firing you for cause
    this involves laying a long rear end paper trail, and making sure you know full well why you are being fired

if you part from a job that isn't one of these three, you might claim unemployment or sue the company. and they really don't want that to happen

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

how many are needed for layoffs? is there a set number?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

how many are needed for layoffs? is there a set number?

for reporting requirements, maybe

the important thing about a layoff is that you are being fired because they have no money to pay you, or your job is no longer consistent with their goals

so you can claim unemployment, but you won't (probably) have grounds to sue them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the point is even without special laws to protect you, the incentives don't line up

only crazy assholes at very small businesses fire people without cause at the drop of a hat

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the point is even without special laws to protect you, the incentives don't line up

only crazy assholes at very small businesses fire people without cause at the drop of a hat

in which case theyre usually doing you a favor in the long run

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if they offer to move up your end date, inform your boss that you would be more than happy to take the balance of your two weeks as pto ;)

i mean, seriously, you do your employer a big favor by offering two weeks of notice.

I mean I have to give thirty days because of my contract, and also it's the professional thing to do because I'm at the centre of some pretty critical projects so I'll need to train my replacement. But if they say they want me to end sooner then that's ok because I'm gonna take the severance they need to pay me and get the hell out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

I mean I have to give thirty days because of my contract, and also it's the professional thing to do because I'm at the centre of some pretty critical projects so I'll need to train my replacement. But if they say they want me to end sooner then that's ok because I'm gonna take the severance they need to pay me and get the hell out.

Lol. If they would be hosed because you left today, that's on them not you.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

Lol. If they would be hosed because you left today, that's on them not you.

True, it's a small world in Vancouver though and there are some people here that I wouldn't mind working with again, or at the very least not have them poison a future job application I make to another better company.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if i give you the courtesy of giving notice, all i expect is the reciprocal courtesy of getting paid for the time should you choose to frog-march me to the door

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
how long would you say is reasonable to spend on a take home test?

i've been asked to:

- put together a REST API in an unfamiliar MVC framework (Phalcon), including JWT auth)
- use mongo as the 'db'
- set up an asynchronous chat app that uses the API
- ensure full test coverage
- package it all up in a docker-compose.yml

which i think will take me at least a day to complete. am i right in thinking this is excessive? or is this normal?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Jimbola posted:

i've been asked to:

- put together a REST API in an unfamiliar MVC framework (Phalcon), including JWT auth)
- use mongo as the 'db'

which i think will take me at least a day to complete. am i right in thinking this is excessive? or is this normal?

please do not do this. send them back a contract with your hourly rate

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Jimbola posted:

i've been asked to:

- use mongo as the 'db'

tell em to gently caress off, thats absurd

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GenJoe posted:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I did a take home like that once, spent 8 hours on it, went in for the on site and still didn't get the job. So yeah gently caress it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jimbola posted:

i've been asked to:

- use mongo as the 'db'

what the gently caress

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GenJoe posted:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I've heard of companies trying to get free labor like this, I never really believed it but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what they're trying to do here... what kinda company is this? If its a contracting company it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had some brand new contract that needs these specific things.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

I've heard of companies trying to get free labor like this, I never really believed it but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what they're trying to do here... what kinda company is this? If its a contracting company it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had some brand new contract that needs these specific things.

it's a fintech company whose main product is a chat app thing. my sense is it's not 'free work' as such, just a massive waste of time.

thanks for confirming all, going to politely decline.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol, that absolutely is free work. Their chat app uses mongo and they are using docker-compose to manage micro-services. gently caress that poo poo.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i've had some pretty good and fun take-homes that took maybe 1-2 hours to complete, like a few exercises in the style of "write a simple RPN calculator" or "fetch a bunch of rss feeds, ignore the flaky ones that are timing out, get the first two articles from each source and sort the entire result by publication date descending". toy problems, but still enough meat to lead to some interesting and productive discussion about how to approach a problem and its corner cases, so both of you get some idea about how the other person thinks.

anyone who wants you to write more than 100 lines of code or spend more than two hours can gently caress right off, they're just jerking off to their own cleverness and are discriminating against people with families or other commitments.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 15, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
reason #12425293901 why tech recruiting is broken

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

quote:

[Phalcon is] A full-stack PHP framework delivered as a C-extension. Its innovative architecture makes Phalcon the fastest PHP framework ever built! See for yourself.

jesus christ

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

carry on then posted:

jesus christ

:yikes:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
php is immortal

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

jesus christ

what the gently caress!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anyway I have an interview tomorrow

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

TheFluff posted:

anyone who wants you to write more than 100 lines of code or spend more than two hours can gently caress right off, they're just jerking off to their own cleverness and are discriminating against people with families or other commitments.

I recently did one that ended up being ~700 lines (REST API + SQL DB & ORM + integration with an external API + unit and integration tests). I ended up doing it because the tech stack was sane and I really wanted the job, but it was about two evenings worth of work.

Incidentally I just gave notice today and feeling pretty loving good about it.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

for my current job i did a proof of concept solution on a problem they were working on. this took 3 days, but i did not work full time on it, and i really wanted the job. in retrospect this should have been one of the warning signs: the task was business related and not really bounded nicely (i.e. "show us how devoted you are")

during the current search i had two nice 1-2h coding exercises. and some AI startup wanted me to spend a month on re-implementing a science article which i politely told them is too much time, sorry

i would say spending more than 1-2h is only worth it if you really want the job. spending more than 1-2 days is probably a sign that a) you're doing it wrong or b) the exercise itself is badly set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Penisface posted:

during the current search i had two nice 1-2h coding exercises. and some AI startup wanted me to spend a month on re-implementing a science article which i politely told them is too much time, sorry

oh I think I stumbled on this one startup, I seriously considered doing it despite people on the yospos slack saying I shouldn't