Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why is admitting that you were wrong and have grown as a person seen as a failing and a weakness in this country? It takes actual, real courage to admit that you hosed up and you recognize that error and you're trying to make amends.

It has nothing to do with actual courage. America loves a winner and hates a loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I never agreed with Patton on that

Wow that actually looks decent
I wonder if it inspired isle of dogs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
For the sake of argument is les Intouchables any good. It sounded like it was refreshing to French audiences precisely because its “white guys drive like THIS. Black guys drive like-“ schtick was so hollywood cliche

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hulu just got the drop on Netflix with a Fyre Festival documentary of their own.

And apparently one of the Fyre organizers is producing the Netflix doc?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah that movie looked like poo poo, seriously who went to see it.
I snuck into it the other night after seeing Ben Is Back just to kill some time. Kevin Hart is actively unfunny in it, but of course several people in my theater couldn't stop laughing when he said things. Cranston was alright I guess.

It's not the worst movie I've seen in a while but it's not good either. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It dethroning Aquaman at the box office is a shame, because even though I didn't like Aquaman that much, Aquaman was still more entertaining than The Upside.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why is admitting that you were wrong and have grown as a person seen as a failing and a weakness in this country?

I don't think it's just America, but it's likely because having the self-awareness to say "I did lovely things" is insanely, insanely rare and most people probably don't even understand the concept of it, and people don't generally deal well with personality traits they don't understand

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Honestly I feel like there needs to be some kind of cutoff date where we all agree that the poo poo we posted on the internet doesn't count, because the internet and society and social mores have all changed so much that even five years ago was a totally different world. Let alone when Hart's tweets were.

"I know better now and that is not OK" is a perfectly acceptable response, especially regarding something from Obama's first term.

Hart could have mindlessly repeated an apology written by his PR team a couple times and gotten the Oscars gig back. Bob Iger even came right out and said he’d be given the gig back so long as he apologized. Hart didn’t want the Oscars gig back at that point, either because he’s too proud to shut up and repeat rehearsed PR statements and/or because he realizes that hosting the Oscars really isn’t that great of a gig (which is why nobody else wants to do it) and it would just provide more opportunity for people to bash him. But walking away from the Oscars once this scandal blew up was essentially his choice.

And yeah, regardless of hosting the Oscars or not, Hart could have also sat down and listened to gay people who were hurt by his comments and had a thoughtful conversation about how they feel that comments like his further stigmatize and endanger gay people, but he apparently won’t cause he’s either still too homophobic to actually care, or too egotistical to admit having been wrong about something.

It ain’t gonna do anything to really hurt his career though. He’s a bankable star and I strongly doubt any studio’s gonna pass on casting him in anything at all because of this.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think there's a strong correlation between "being incapable of identifying and being ashamed of your poo poo behavior" and people who can push through the millions of stop signs on the way to worldwide fame

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ALFbrot posted:

I think there's a strong correlation between "being incapable of identifying and being ashamed of your poo poo behavior" and people who can push through the millions of stop signs on the way to worldwide fame

Especially in stand-up comedy, where 90% of the game is convincing people that you being a terrible person and/or literally insane is actually just a character you're playing or you being ironic and the other 10% is you punching upward which just happens to include anyone who would try to tell you you're wrong or ask for an apology.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Honestly I feel like there needs to be some kind of cutoff date where we all agree that the poo poo we posted on the internet doesn't count, because the internet and society and social mores have all changed so much that even five years ago was a totally different world. Let alone when Hart's tweets were.

"I know better now and that is not OK" is a perfectly acceptable response, especially regarding something from Obama's first term.

Yeah, seven years ago, beating your son because they played with a dolls house was fine, and not at all a horrifying sentiment. It was just a different time.

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't know why the keep going to Kevin Hart as the black actor but there we go

Hannibal Buress has other poo poo to do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sucrose posted:

Hart could have mindlessly repeated an apology written by his PR team a couple times and gotten the Oscars gig back. Bob Iger even came right out and said he’d be given the gig back so long as he apologized. Hart didn’t want the Oscars gig back at that point, either because he’s too proud to shut up and repeat rehearsed PR statements and/or because he realizes that hosting the Oscars really isn’t that great of a gig (which is why nobody else wants to do it) and it would just provide more opportunity for people to bash him. But walking away from the Oscars once this scandal blew up was essentially his choice.

And yeah, regardless of hosting the Oscars or not, Hart could have also sat down and listened to gay people who were hurt by his comments and had a thoughtful conversation about how they feel that comments like his further stigmatize and endanger gay people, but he apparently won’t cause he’s either still too homophobic to actually care, or too egotistical to admit having been wrong about something.

It ain’t gonna do anything to really hurt his career though. He’s a bankable star and I strongly doubt any studio’s gonna pass on casting him in anything at all because of this.

He probably remembers that Tracy Morgan said pretty much exactly the same things and had absolutely no harm come to his career so why bother apologizing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

McQuarrie just signed on for two more MI movies. I loved the last two, so this is fine by me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Enos Cabell posted:

McQuarrie just signed on for two more MI movies. I loved the last two, so this is fine by me.

Dude. It's not just two movies. He's filming them back to back. Release dates in 2021 and 2022. I'm fuckin stoked. I'm gonna guess they'll be direct sequels, like the first one will have a cliffhanger ending.

I'm totally down for it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 15, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh nice, even better! Hopefully when Cruise dies from trying to land on the moon or whatever it doesn't delay them too much.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Tom Cruise actually going into outer space to film some action scenes would be the best thing to happen to cinema in decades.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Not only would Cruise go to space and skydive to Earth without a chute, he'd get implanted by aliens that would burst through his chest during a pivotal action scene and that would be the take they use in the movie

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

"I say, Tom, Tom, stop. We got the green screen. We can CGI in the sharks later. You don't have to do this.

'Course by then, he'd already jumped."

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Judging by the last movie, I’d say he makes wonderful, thrilling action sequences and absolutely nonsensical plots.

But then again I seem to be in the minority of people who weren’t super-impressed with MI 6. It did look fantastic on IMAX though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Tom Cruise actually going into outer space to film some action scenes would be the best thing to happen to cinema in decades.

Mission Impossible: Battlefield Earth

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/TomCruise/status/1084964387335618560

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sucrose posted:

Judging by the last movie, I’d say he makes wonderful, thrilling action sequences and absolutely nonsensical plots.

But then again I seem to be in the minority of people who weren’t super-impressed with MI 6. It did look fantastic on IMAX though.

They should adapt some Shane Schofield stories then, just turn the Scarecrow into ethan hunt. Area 7 is particularly bonkers

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am pleased with MI 7 and 8. I hope Tom Cruise does batshit insane fun stunts and everyone is safe and the movies turn out great.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm legitimately pumped for back-to-back Mission Impossible films.

Dunno who they're gonna try to set up as his replacement (lol remember when they tried to transition to Jeremy Renner?) but I have a feeling these will be Tom's last. He's not gonna be able to run like a madman forever!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

asecondduck posted:

Dunno who they're gonna try to set up as his replacement (lol remember when they tried to transition to Jeremy Renner?) but I have a feeling these will be Tom's last. He's not gonna be able to run like a madman forever!

He's on the all the HGH in the world, he'll be able to keep running.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Real Talk: When am I gonna get my Obi Wan movie with Ewan McGreggor? Can I get an Indy style movie with him at least? He's made for that kind of movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gatts posted:

Real Talk: When am I gonna get my Obi Wan movie with Ewan McGreggor? Can I get an Indy style movie with him at least? He's made for that kind of movie.

My guess is that they’re been running into continual contract negotiation stalemates. It’s definitely something that’s been kicked around in various states of discussion and preproduction for a while, but nothing solid ever seems to materialize. Neither side will commit to a definite ‘no’ yet so I assume it’ll happen eventually.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Into the Spider-Verse is actually doing better than Bumblebee and Mary Poppins in the US this week. It's at number 4 while the other two has left the top 5.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Into the Spider-Verse is actually doing better than Bumblebee and Mary Poppins in the US this week. It's at number 4 while the other two has left the top 5.
Good! It's a better movie than both!

Bumblebee's good but Spider-Verse is still better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

No surprise that the Spider-themed movie has legs :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

I thought they cancelled all the spin-off movies after Solo flopped. Even the Boba Fett one was cancelled and that one had Mangold announced to write and direct and everything.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

asecondduck posted:

Of course he will, that's the main perk of being an OT VII.

(Seriously, I've been saying for years that if the CoS REALLY wanted to take over the world, all they need is to put up posters of Tom Cruise with his birthdate underneath and the Church's logo.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought they cancelled all the spin-off movies after Solo flopped. Even the Boba Fett one was cancelled and that one had Mangold announced to write and direct and everything.

Poor ol' Boba just keeps getting killed off. :smith:

(They're going ahead with the Mandalorian TV series instead.)
Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BofTUzhBtrZ/

Edit 2:

Wait a second .....

They're adapting the Star Wars Holiday Special!!!! :stonk:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 15, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Wheat Loaf posted:

well let's not pretend it would have made more money than solo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Poor ol' Boba just keeps getting killed off. :smith:

(They're going ahead with the Mandalorian TV series instead.)
Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BofTUzhBtrZ/

Edit 2:

Wait a second .....

They're adapting the Star Wars Holiday Special!!!! :stonk:
:dogbutton:

WHO ASKED FOR THIS

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jose Oquendo posted:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

WHO ASKED FOR THIS

Me

Holiday special owns

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

K. Waste posted:

In that bizarre way things happen, The Upside is actually the third remake of The Intouchables made in the last three years, with an Indian and an Argentine remake both coming out in 2016.

The only reason it wasn't released sooner after premiering in fall of 2017 at TIFF is because it was being distributed by the Weinstein Company, and then the scandal broke out.

Weinstein also bought the rights to Perfect Strangers, which has been remade in 8 countries already since 2016 and, apparently, will be left without the English version

Alan Smithee posted:

well let's not pretend it would have made more money than solo

they managed to gently caress up a Han Solo movie, a movie without brand name recognition would've failed even more with that amount of production meddling

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

They weren’t cancelled, they were never announced or in any serious level of pre-production. FWIW, Mangold even denied ever being involved in such a project. The Mos Eisley/Boba Fett movie rumor was probably started by early news and set leaks of The Mandolorian.

Rian Johnson’s trilogy and the Weiss/Benioff duology are still happening after IX, though Iger indicated late last year that they’d be moving away from the ‘one film every year’ schedule.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rian Johnson’s trilogy and the Weiss/Benioff duology are still happening after IX

Depends on IX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

WHO ASKED FOR THIS

The last Star Wars movie referenced a horrible ps1 game so anything’s on the table at this point.