Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ok so I’m Austria and HRE and religious leagues have activated. On the Protestant side basically every single major power aside from me and all the little Catholic principalities across the HRE have formed together to make it absolutely impossible for me to win a war against them all. I’ve actually been doing a great job since the Reformation kicked off at keeping the Empire in order and there are currently only 4 heretic principalities. But with the religious leagues it’s me vs France, Castille, Great Britain, Ottomans, Denmark, none of whom are actually Protestant btw. They have like 350k troops combined. What can I do to chip away at this because I’m not sure where to go from here. The year is 1570 if that matters at all.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Just turn protestant?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Just turn protestant?

I’m HRE and have spent the last 50 years going full on Defender of the True Faith pushing all the heretics poo poo in over and over again. That would completely defeat the whole purpose. Can the HRE even convert?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m HRE and have spent the last 50 years going full on Defender of the True Faith pushing all the heretics poo poo in over and over again. That would completely defeat the whole purpose. Can the HRE even convert?

From my understanding basically you'd immediately lose the emperor title, then could join on Protestant side and hope they declare. Alternately if they do declare and you want to stay Catholic you may be able to immediately peace out for a rollback of one reform, which would cause peace of Westphalia to trigger. That's a 100% war score peace deal so they will likely take it.

Only other thing i can think of would be to ally some of the larger folks, get in a war with them on your side then trigger a religious war against the rest.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The goal as Austria->HRE should be to make sure electors don’t convert to Prot so that the leagues never fire to begin with (or if you’re super hardcore, getting Erbkaisertum before 1550 will have the same effect). With such bad leagues, you might just be in an unsalvageable position — I find a bad league war to be the hardest thing in the game since all the usual scummy tricks to win unfavorable wars are useless to protect your chump allied minors.

However, if the league war itself is never declared, you still get the same result as Catholic League victory. If the PL isn’t powerful enough that it fancies declaring war, you can just wait them out. Obviously not ideal since it means a lot more members will convert and you basically can’t risk fighting any other wars for the next few decades, but that may be easier than fighting every other great power.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How long do I have to wait them out? Does the Protestant League need to declare religious war by a certain date or it gets disbanded and I win?

Edit: oh I see it’s 30 years after the league forms then it’ll trigger. Fine I’ll just wait it out then.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 12, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

30 years + MTTH of 5 years, conditional on being at peace and not in regency.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

So how best do you manage attrition/manpower? I'm trying to finally finish a WC (did one in EU3, and had two runs early in EUIV that trailed off) and I'm not totally sure if I'll be able to make it, but one big problem I've had is my manpower always tanks. I generally have half or more of my losses in every war to attrition. And I've tried moving toward merc infantry/regular cannons, but it seems all the attrition still comes directly from the cannons, which causes my manpower to tank regardless. Are there any ways to make it so the attrition losses come from the infantry first?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Attrition should affect all units at the same rate, if you see your artillery on lower health than the infantry that means you didn't have enough infantry to cover the entire combat width and some arty got sent to the front rows, where it's super bad.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Attrition should affect all units at the same rate, if you see your artillery on lower health than the infantry that means you didn't have enough infantry to cover the entire combat width and some arty got sent to the front rows, where it's super bad.

In battle it seems to work fine, it's just out of battle when I'm moving units/during sieges where I'm taking a beating. Like I've even tried moving the infantry stacks on the fort first followed by the cannon, but all attrition still seems to be coming from the cannons.

Although thinking about it, maybe it's because mercs replenish from money/outside the manpower pool? So it's just a matter of always having them full since they're getting refilled, but the cannons taking longer since I'm out of manpower?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Yes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

alansmithee posted:

Although thinking about it, maybe it's because mercs replenish from money/outside the manpower pool? So it's just a matter of always having them full since they're getting refilled, but the cannons taking longer since I'm out of manpower?
This is definitely it.

I'm guessing you already have the Manpower buildings everywhere that matters? Can you get chunks from Professionalism or your estates? You can also split your armies when they are marching but it is a huge hassle, especially when attempting a WC.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

alansmithee posted:

So how best do you manage attrition/manpower? I'm trying to finally finish a WC (did one in EU3, and had two runs early in EUIV that trailed off) and I'm not totally sure if I'll be able to make it, but one big problem I've had is my manpower always tanks. I generally have half or more of my losses in every war to attrition. And I've tried moving toward merc infantry/regular cannons, but it seems all the attrition still comes directly from the cannons, which causes my manpower to tank regardless. Are there any ways to make it so the attrition losses come from the infantry first?

Your cannon shouldn't really be taking damage from battles unless you're getting routed or you have incorrectly composed armies. Only front line troops take damage in a battle that you win. In fact, if you think you're going to lose the battle and you start seeing cannon on the front line, retreat from the battle.

I think the most important tip is to learn the proper size army to siege each fort level most efficiently. Maximize the bonus from cannons (and then don't use more units than that). The wiki has the info on how many units per fort level. You want the max bonus so that you get the siege over with as quickly as possible. Have a general on the roster with some siege and maneuver pips for leading sieges. When get to a fort, drop a siege stack with a siege leader on it and then just have the rest of the troops occupy the neighboring provinces.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

alansmithee posted:

So how best do you manage attrition/manpower? I'm trying to finally finish a WC (did one in EU3, and had two runs early in EUIV that trailed off) and I'm not totally sure if I'll be able to make it, but one big problem I've had is my manpower always tanks. I generally have half or more of my losses in every war to attrition.

If you don't have Quantity ideas yet, definitely go for that, since I'm pretty sure it's all but mandatory for a WC. Might also be worth going Offensive for the siege ability. Artillery barrages, while costly, will also save you quite a bit and are worth it way more often than you'd think, particularly in the late game. A vassal or two set to aggressive can also work wonders when it comes to carpeting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Family Values posted:

Your cannon shouldn't really be taking damage from battles unless you're getting routed or you have incorrectly composed armies. Only front line troops take damage in a battle that you win. In fact, if you think you're going to lose the battle and you start seeing cannon on the front line, retreat from the battle.

I think the most important tip is to learn the proper size army to siege each fort level most efficiently. Maximize the bonus from cannons (and then don't use more units than that). The wiki has the info on how many units per fort level. You want the max bonus so that you get the siege over with as quickly as possible. Have a general on the roster with some siege and maneuver pips for leading sieges. When get to a fort, drop a siege stack with a siege leader on it and then just have the rest of the troops occupy the neighboring provinces.

His cannons are probably taking damage because they're suffering from attrition and he doesn't have enough monthly manpower gain to cover the manpower losses. He can hover over the manpower value on the top to see the specifics.

The game itself should be listing how many units you need to siege a fort. The general rule of thumb is that number +1, the +1 being there to absorb losses from disease outbreaks (10% loss). You may need +2 for the big daddy late game forts instead.

This goes for sieging down unfortified provinces too. Simply being in enemy territory gives you 5% attrition. Don't use entire stacks to capture rinky dink middle-of-nowhere provinces. Keep your proper stacks nearby in occupied territory and have a series of 1-or-2-unit groups moving around to do the actual territory capturing. Doing it this way instead of having 100,000 men march around in the enemy's land the whole war will reduce attrition quite a bit.

The rest of attrition avoidance comes down to being aware of supply limits and splitting your stacks to avoid attrition and/or keeping them in high-limit provinces.

Alternatively, go Quantity and choose to ignore all of this.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 15, 2019

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The OP clearly says the problem is attrition and a lot of ya'll's responses are talking about combat damage.

Dr. Video Games 0031 gives good advice.

Generally speaking, you want to be aware of what provinces can handle and then split your army into stacks that are smaller than that. There's a max combat width. I generally make doctrines that are just over half that size and move them in pairs. You sweep around with them next to one another, and only pile them up when it comes time to actually go into a fight.

When you start a siege, you drop off the units that you need to usefully siege and then protect them with a nearby couple of doom stacks, so that not everyone is taking the siege damage.

Having even smaller 1k stacks as guerrillas to capture individual territories is smart.

It ends up meaning that there's a lot more micromanaging to the army compositions than I'd like, with units splitting up and coming together and merging down and whatnot during a protracted campaign. But it avoids the worst of attrition, which means you can afford to have a protracted campaign.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Hi my name is Detheros and of my 1930 hours in this game a good 900 or so are as The Papal State.

I like doing stupid things as them.

Really stupid things :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's certainly one way to deal with Great Britain: build a cornwall and shove them into Ireland to stew.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Detheros posted:

Hi my name is Detheros and of my 1930 hours in this game a good 900 or so are as The Papal State.

I've never played one game as them. What makes them so fun to play? Besides Deus Vult and all

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You'll be Papal controller for most of the game, which lets you declare a lot of excommunications for almost AE free (25%?) land.
Never ever use the decision to form the Kingdom of Heaven or whatever it's called, that's a trap decision.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Could give the Papal States a lot more fun toys to play with though

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Detheros posted:

I like doing stupid things as them.

Really stupid things :v:
I strongly approve, because I also love doing stupid things. :v:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

I think it'd be a good start if the nation forming decision wasn't a downgrade. Last time I used that one I lost the pope mechanics and rage quit.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Hoping the new big dlc gives more fun to Catholicism. I always bail on it asap. Picking custom buffs with the other religions is just too nice.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Hoping the new big dlc gives more fun to Catholicism. I always bail on it asap. Picking custom buffs with the other religions is just too nice.

I don't think Catholicism is the most powerful religion but you do have some flexibility if you're earning a lot of papal influence (from converting colonized land, probably). A few of the papal actions are pretty good deals.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pope powers are cool and good. I like how Catholicism gets more attractive the bigger you are. Papal controller system is blah, if you’re lucky enough to get it (after blowing all your influence on it) you can maybe excommunicate somebody (if you can find any catholic who the pope isn’t in love with) or maybe crusade someone (if you have a heathen handy to scrap with), but probably not both, and probably not more than once before you have to do the whole thing all over again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the pope gets super good events that give until end of game bonii too

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oddium posted:

the pope gets super good events that give until end of game bonii too

p sure these got nerfed because a dev mp happened

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

skasion posted:

Papal controller system is blah, if you’re lucky enough to get it (after blowing all your influence on it) you can maybe excommunicate somebody (if you can find any catholic who the pope isn’t in love with) or maybe crusade someone (if you have a heathen handy to scrap with), but probably not both, and probably not more than once before you have to do the whole thing all over again.

Yeah, agreed. I always invest at least some influence if I'm Catholic but the randomness is a pain. It'd be cool if it was a bit more deterministic while still being competitive.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Did you know that if you somehow obtain a stupidly high number of vassals the furthest east will stop showing up in the list when you attempt to change ownership of provinces to them during battle?

And also that interface loving sucks when you have more than 5 and want to expand one particular vassal while participating in overlapping wars (so give province in the subject tab is disabled until you are finally at peace)?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Did you know that if you somehow obtain a stupidly high number of vassals the furthest east will stop showing up in the list when you attempt to change ownership of provinces to them during battle?

And also that interface loving sucks when you have more than 5 and want to expand one particular vassal while participating in overlapping wars (so give province in the subject tab is disabled until you are finally at peace)?

Really need a macro-builder mode for assigning occupations to war participants.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
What's the thread consensus on Dharma (or can someone link me to the posts where that's already been discussed? I looked a bit but not very hard.)

I'm thinking of starting a run as one of the merchant countries (Venice, Netherlands, England) and it seems like there's a lot of good trade stuff in the expansion?

E: And I guess Rule Britannia & Golden Century? I played the game a ton a year ago and haven't been keeping up with it since.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 15, 2019

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dharma good, the other two less so IMO

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Much like Third Rome, they're only worth it if you really like playing as the areas they are for (Russia, Britannia, or Iberia). Or if you want to play as a pirate.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I tried playing this game for the first time just now. I picked France because they seemed powerful and I screwed around for a little while with no clue what I was doing. Then I declared war on the English to try to kick them off the continent but failed spectacularly in doing so.

I might have to start somewhere else I guess. :ohdear:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

The Ottomans are generally considered the easiest nation to play, though Spain is a popular first nation as long as you restart until France is friendly with you at the start.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I tried playing this game for the first time just now. I picked France because they seemed powerful and I screwed around for a little while with no clue what I was doing. Then I declared war on the English to try to kick them off the continent but failed spectacularly in doing so.

I might have to start somewhere else I guess. :ohdear:

Don't declare on England yourself, the Surrender of Maine event will fire and either you get free land or it'll trigger a war where they can't call any allies that's significantly easier.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Don't declare on England yourself, the Surrender of Maine event will fire and either you get free land or it'll trigger a war where they can't call any allies that's significantly easier.

I did get that event and it gave me that province and then a truce with England for five years, so I waited until the truce ended and then tried invading Normandy, but couldn't beat them plus all their allies together. Also for some reason the pope excommunicated me instantly at the start of the game.

Ah gently caress the pope. Maybe the Ottomans would be the way to go

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

As someone coming back from a long layoff to the game and relearning everything, I'd say France is very powerful but also has a lot more difficulty compared to the Ottomans. Castille just seems seriously powerful now, at least with the new mission tree from the DLC.

Along with that, thanks for the advice everybody. I was doing fine in battles, it was just attrition chewing through. I've known about supply limits, stack splitting and the like although partially due to tedium and partially due to always having some 10/15 stack show up from nowhere and snipe all my little pieces I typically only will split off a few guys from my main doom stacks to take over non-fort lands. I had already planned on grabbing Quantity next, and I'm happy to report that even without the tree full that seems to have made my manpower issues largely disappear. Fought a war against basically the HRE minus Austria and my manpower was actually growing, even though I wasn't being particularly careful about stack splitting. Still not sure if I'm gonna be able to finish though, as the grind is really getting a bit tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Looking to get this game what with my birthday coming up and all. Just one question: I've been reading the wiki, and the tech groups (is that the right term?) seems to heavily favour Europeans, which sucks, especially since I want to import my CK2 India game. Is there any way to easily mod this out? How much does it matter in the grand scheme of things?