Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
If you don't care about the 10 key, the Massdrop CTRL drop is ending (tonight, I think) with immediate shipping, and you could just buy Light Grey switches and pop them in easily. Lighting on it works great, and the configuration is easy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

G-Prime posted:

If you don't care about the 10 key, the Massdrop CTRL drop is ending (tonight, I think) with immediate shipping, and you could just buy Light Grey switches and pop them in easily. Lighting on it works great, and the configuration is easy enough.

I suppose I left that information out; I think I'd want the 10-key. I don't use it a TON, but there are times when it's nice.

I hadn't considered going the swappable switch route, so that's interesting (and opens up some possibilities).

A question about that QMK firmware: how does that work with the backlighting? Because it'd be my work keyboard, I probably couldn't install any sort of software on the computer. I know there are some keyboards out there that let you let up the backlight info, then save the customization to the board itself. Is this one of those?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Yeah, it's fully programmed to the board. For example,
code:
led_setup_t leds_laser[] = {
    { .hs = 0, .he = 100, .rs = 255, .re = 255, .gs = 8, .ge = 8, .bs = 157, .be = 157, .ef = EF_NONE },
    { .end = 1 },
};
provides the lighting I have in the below image:

They ship it with the following pre-defined
code:
//Teal <-> Salmon
//Yellow
//Off
//Red
//Green
//Blue
//White
//White with moving red stripe
//Black with moving red stripe
//Rainbow no scrolling
//Rainbow scrolling

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Today I flashed my Tada68 with a proper DFU bootloader and it is so much better than the crappy mass storage one the Tada ships with.

My keyboard just seemed like it was slowly degrading more and more when I would try out new keymaps. First macros stopped working, and then new versions of QMK just wouldn't work with it at all, and then it just essentially bricked and stopped mounting as a mass storage drive when I put it in programming mode. After initial panic I read that it was possible to unbrick the thing by fixing the bootloader using a USBasb programmer and some bread board jumper cables.

I essentially just followed this nerd60 tutorial with some information from this tutorial using this programmer.

It ended up being sooo worth it and I'm actually happy that I bricked the drat thing because it's so much easier to mess with keymaps now. I really love the Tada68 and if I ever get another one I will do this immediately.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Wait your keyboard mounts as a mass storage drive? Man, 2019 is nuts.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Wait your keyboard mounts as a mass storage drive? Man, 2019 is nuts.

Yeah it would appear as a drive and you copy over a FLASH.bin to change the keymap, but it was super buggy. If you unplugged or even ejected it without hitting esc to exit programming mode it could corrupt the bootloader. I would also have to clean the "drive" every time I mounted it because of the extra crap macOS adds to folders when you open them in finder. The new DFU bootloader just uses QMK Toolbox to flash new firmwares and it's faster and safer.

Programmable keyboards are a wonderful rabbit hole. :)

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

I got me some DSA milkshake keycaps for my CTRL and now it's my favorite keyboard. Esp with the outemu blue switches on it which are sooo clicky.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Milkshake is such a neat design. Too bad my dumb fingers don't like DSA :(

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Those glyphs are incredibly unique, and I'd love to see them used elsewhere.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I wish that I'd had the cash for DSA Milkshake when it was available. It'd be fun to put on one of my boards.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So it was a year or two ago when I last thought about replacing my keyboard, and when I looked then everything was either a $10 plastic piece of poo poo or some $200 niche eXXXtreme gaming thing with artsinally sourced mechanical blah blah

What's the go-to nowadays for something in the $60 range, like how the Logitech G11 and G110 were years ago?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Get the Corsair K70 Lux. It's single color LED (blue or red) that you can dim or turn off, you can get it in brown switches, and it has all the stuff you need and none that you don't. They're on sale for $90.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kefkafloyd posted:

Get the Corsair K70 Lux. It's single color LED (blue or red) that you can dim or turn off, you can get it in brown switches, and it has all the stuff you need and none that you don't. They're on sale for $90.

Looked at that, and immediately saw recommended the Corsair K55 for $46 or the Logitech G213 for $44. Thinking about going with one of those instead of paying more for fewer buttons. What would be the benefit of the K70?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Addamere posted:

Looked at that, and immediately saw recommended the Corsair K55 for $46 or the Logitech G213 for $44. Thinking about going with one of those instead of paying more for fewer buttons. What would be the benefit of the K70?
Those are rubber dome keyboards, the K70 is mechanical. Though there are mechanical keyboards in this price range as well.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Llamadeus posted:

Those are rubber dome keyboards, the K70 is mechanical. Though there are mechanical keyboards in this price range as well.

My current keyboard, a Logitech G110, is from before the hype train for mechanical keyboards left the station. I guess this will be my first dive into mechanical. The media keys I want are present on the K70, and tbh I've only a handful of times ever used the macro keys on the Logitech keyboards so I'm fine with that being omitted. I guess if there's some less fancy version, I'd be cool with that. I'm a long-time Logitech customer: have had the same standalone desktop microphone since 2001, am on my second or third Logitech headset, my second set of desktop speakers, am back to Logitech mice after giving Razer a try in the early 10's, and in general what I'm trying to communicate is Logitech just *felt* right for so long having a Corsair peripheral in the mix is itself a new and scary thought.

Another question here is "why mechanical"? I've read the OP, and I get the keystrokes thing. But you know what's finally failing on my G110? It's not the keys. It's the USB connector or firmware or whatever, causing it to sometimes randomly disconnect/reconnect to Windows. Troubleshooting has isolated it to the keyboard, not to the specific machine or USB port. So when there's this noise about how a mechanical keyboard will last longer than bubble dome, I'm kind of like meh whatever? If that makes sense.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 21, 2019

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

"why mechanical" because typing on most rubber domes makes me physically ill

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Addamere posted:

My current keyboard, a Logitech G110, is from before the hype train for mechanical keyboards left the station. I guess this will be my first dive into mechanical. The media keys I want are present on the K70, and tbh I've only a handful of times ever used the macro keys on the Logitech keyboards so I'm fine with that being omitted. I guess if there's some less fancy version, I'd be cool with that. I'm a long-time Logitech customer: have had the same standalone desktop microphone since 2001, am on my second or third Logitech headset, my second set of desktop speakers, am back to Logitech mice after giving Razer a try in the early 10's, and in general what I'm trying to communicate is Logitech just *felt* right for so long having a Corsair peripheral in the mix is itself a new and scary thought.

Another question here is "why mechanical"? I've read the OP, and I get the keystrokes thing. But you know what's finally failing on my G110? It's not the keys. It's the USB connector or firmware or whatever, causing it to sometimes randomly disconnect/reconnect to Windows. Troubleshooting has isolated it to the keyboard, not to the specific machine or USB port. So when there's this noise about how a mechanical keyboard will last longer than bubble dome, I'm kind of like meh whatever? If that makes sense.

Typing on a mechanical has a different tactile sensation and feels a lot nicer in general; typing on membrane keyboards tend to feel mushy, whereas mechanical keyboards can feel smooth (or crunchy if you want) and have that “clack”. I guess a sort of analogy would be if you’ve ever had a pen that has a really nice click or snap when you put the cap back on vs one of those bank pens, except you spend a lot of time typing on your keyboard and hopefully not clicking a pen cap over and over because of ocd. If you prefer Logitech keyboards and want to stick with them, that’s fine, but “having a Corsair peripheral in the mix is itself a new and scary thought.” I’m sorry but this is loving dumb unless you’re dependent on running macros or something with their software.

The longevity thing also means that the mechanical keyboard is less likely to fail over the years, where membrane keyboards can start to degrade and have keys start sticking or getting stiff, which was my experience with the otherwise excellent Microsoft 4000 ergonomic keyboard.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Addamere posted:

Eh, I'm inclined to agree. Something is only as reliable and sturdy as as its weakest link. Kinda reminds me of when I bought a $70 logitech mouse rated for a zillion clicks but had to toss it because the cord became damaged over time which made the rest of the mouse build quality irrelevant. If you're buying mechanical for sake of longevity or perceived savings, you're probably not going to get a return on investment unless you keep the thing for a few decades. Or worse, you'll do what some of us do and buy multiple mechanical keyboards because of brain worms. You'll probably never beat the value of buying a $8 Verbatim Slimline Keyboard every 5 years.

I think most folks here are hooked on the typing feel though. And if you're spending $100-200 on something that by and large operates the same as a $8 device, build quality will likely be a bit better, yeah. At that price point, there will probably be a few features that will be uniquely useful to yourself, which might make you want to hold onto the keyboard as long as possible. Like the OP also says: you use it literally all the time, why not invest a little? Some of the mechanical keyboards out now include a removable USB cord which removes a failure point. Definitely a fan of that new trend.

Anywho, I came back to the thread to talk about my Vortex Race 3. I think it's been a month of ownership now? I love it to bits. I'm still pretty shocked that I ended up preferring the cherry reds over clears. Oddly, I feel like I type quieter and bottom out less on linear keys. I was easily louder on my old Das Keyboard with cherry browns because I kept trying to hit the actuation bump but not bottom out. But yeah, this keyboard is a joy to type on. Smooth keystrokes, the nicely textured caps, whisper silent typing, lovely weighted feel with no frame flex. Totally good purchase.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VostokProgram posted:

"why mechanical" because typing on most rubber domes makes me physically ill

im sure you were bedridden every day of your life before the mechanical keyboard fad took off :jerkbag:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I've come to the conclusion that you actually dont give a poo poo so buy whatever keyboard you want and ignore everyone's advice.

buglord posted:

Anywho, I came back to the thread to talk about my Vortex Race 3. I think it's been a month of ownership now? I love it to bits. I'm still pretty shocked that I ended up preferring the cherry reds over clears. Oddly, I feel like I type quieter and bottom out less on linear keys. I was easily louder on my old Das Keyboard with cherry browns because I kept trying to hit the actuation bump but not bottom out. But yeah, this keyboard is a joy to type on. Smooth keystrokes, the nicely textured caps, whisper silent typing, lovely weighted feel with no frame flex. Totally good purchase.

The Race 3 is a nice looking board that I have come close to getting a couple times. I'm just not sure about the big escape key.

I've never actually tried linear switches, just progressively more tactile ones, but I have a big order of switches coming to test. Excited to test them out because the linear crowd seems to be just as vocal as the tactile and clicky crowds about their superiority.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 21, 2019

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

CRAYON posted:

I've come to the conclusion that you actually dont give a poo poo so buy whatever keyboard you want and ignore everyone's advice.

This. I've only owned Logitech keyboards since the 90s, the only differences between them are extra keys, looks, and how cheap the case feels. I ditched them for mechanical ones almost a decade ago but I doubt much has changed in rubber dome designs since then.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CRAYON posted:

The Race 3 is a nice looking board that I have come close to getting a couple times. I'm just not sure about the big escape key.

I've never actually tried linear switches, just progressively more tactile ones, but I have a big order of switches coming to test. Excited to test them out because the linear crowd seems to be just as vocal as the tactile and clicky crowds about their superiority.

I think other posters are right regarding the odd escape key size (and I think delete being longer too). I don't really intend to replace the keycaps soon so that won't be a huge deal for me, but I get where others might be concerned if planning to switch them out. The only thing I dislike about the keycaps are the F and J keys having too subtle of a difference. Maybe I'll be able to feel in a few year's time, but I'm still putting my fingers on the wrong keys every now and then.

Liking the linears was a huge surprise for me. 2011 me liked loud, forceful, and stiff, whereas 2019 me prefers just the opposite.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Addamere posted:

Mechanical keyboards are half truth and half gear wank.

They feel better on average, though many dome keyboards aren't particularly bad either. The feel is enhanced by them often having a satisfying sound. They generally look nicer and you can spend a bazillion bucks on tweaking and customising them. I'd argue half the fun is actually building stuff yourself, like ordering a plate, switches, a controller, and get cracking. It's a diy electronics hobby with a reasonably low threshold in terms of skill.

In my opinion that combination of swank, diy geeking, and the better feel are what made small communities push for small series production of keycaps, special boards and kits, and so on. Those in terms fuel demand and now we have a healthy market for people with too much money on their hands.

Oh yes and a big part is also the tendency of people to defend their purchases. Having bought something makes it instantly 5x as cool because otherwise you might regret spending 300 bucks on parts for.... A keyboard.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CRAYON posted:

Counterpoint, the big delete key is very satisfying.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think a big part of it too is that mechanical keyboards are basically alone in the premium desktop keyboard space and if you want something without a lot of extraneous styling or buttons it's the only way to go. I just bought WASD CODE 104-key one day because it is "a nice keyboard without a lot of extra buttons or logos" and haven't really regretted it or made a hobby of mechanical keyboards. I don't even remember what switches I have tbqh. (I looked it up - Cherry MX Brown).

For a long time a lot of people who didn't like rubber domes went with vintage buckling spring boards that literally littered university and business trashcans for years, but now that those cost more than "I found one in a box"...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

unrelated and sorry in advance for the weirdness, but are you in archaeology/CRM? your username and all.

e: sorry to hear man. my buddies are going through that same trajectory right now. good money for me while I was working between semesters, but yikes otherwise.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 21, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

unrelated and sorry in advance for the weirdness, but are you in archaeology/CRM? your username and all.

oh yeah I used to be, then like everyone else I bailed when it was "get a master's that because of the nature of the field could take infinity years and never pay for itself" or "bail". all the exposure to oilfield workers who made 3x my wage to hold the STOP/SLOW sign kinda sealed the deal

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone looking to dump a 40/60% board? I'm interested most in the Vortex CORE or the Planck, but those also seem to be the only real 40% boards out there

e:

ColHannibal posted:

I got a HHKB2 pro in black/black

Sorry, should have specified, looking for more for mechanical and ~$100, the HHKB seems a bit out of my price range even used.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2019

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Anyone looking to dump a 40/60% board? I'm interested most in the Vortex CORE or the Planck, but those also seem to be the only real 40% boards out there

I got a HHKB2 pro in black/black

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Stimperor posted:

Mechanical keyboards are half truth and half gear wank.

They feel better on average, though many dome keyboards aren't particularly bad either. The feel is enhanced by them often having a satisfying sound. They generally look nicer and you can spend a bazillion bucks on tweaking and customising them. I'd argue half the fun is actually building stuff yourself, like ordering a plate, switches, a controller, and get cracking. It's a diy electronics hobby with a reasonably low threshold in terms of skill.

In my opinion that combination of swank, diy geeking, and the better feel are what made small communities push for small series production of keycaps, special boards and kits, and so on. Those in terms fuel demand and now we have a healthy market for people with too much money on their hands.

Oh yes and a big part is also the tendency of people to defend their purchases. Having bought something makes it instantly 5x as cool because otherwise you might regret spending 300 bucks on parts for.... A keyboard.

yeah this is the feeling I get from reading peoples' posts about it, like I'm not looking for a hobby I'm looking for a keyboard that'll last 5-10 years or ideally more and which doesn't have the gummy feeling of $10 cheap pieces of poo poo. Like, the immediate response from the mechanical keyboard crowd is "every non-mechanical will be like that", and they are lying because neither my G11 nor my G110 are/were like that. There's a distinct difference between the lovely gummy feeling of the super-cheap ones and the mid-range and higher ones. As it happens it's looking like a mechanical keyboard without too much frills costs about the same as a membrane one nowadays, so I might take the dive on that recommended Corsair K70 Lux. Not because it's mechanical, but because apparently the mid-range membrane keyboard has become an extinct animal.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 22, 2019

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Just buy a new Logitech K480. It sounds like it'll be adequate to your purpose.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 22, 2019

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

e:

Sorry, should have specified, looking for more for mechanical and ~$100, the HHKB seems a bit out of my price range even used.

I have one of the massdrop 75 key orthos (Idobo) with QMK on it and gateron browns that I don't think I'm going to end up using.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/75keys-aluminum-mechanical-keyboard-kit

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Just buy a new Logitech K480. It sounds like it'll be adequate to your purpose.

looks weird, is wireless, nah

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Burno posted:

I have one of the massdrop 75 key orthos (Idobo) with QMK on it and gateron browns that I don't think I'm going to end up using.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/75keys-aluminum-mechanical-keyboard-kit

This seems right up my alley. Sent you a PM

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Addamere posted:

I'm not looking for a hobby I'm looking for a keyboard that'll last 5-10 years or ideally more and which doesn't have the gummy feeling of $10 cheap pieces of poo poo.

I like this Kensington slim keyboard.

Full size but a bit smaller footprint than most full-size keyboards. It has dedicated volume control keys, but the multimedia controls are on the Fn layer of some of the F-keys, which isn't quite the same as the Corsair you're looking at.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

e:

I can toss you one of my kits for about $80 shipped. Only thing you'll need is caps and switches, kit will have a plate, PCB, mounting hardware, case and diodes.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
If you don't care about mechanical, then the Logitech G213 at that sale price is decent enough. At least you don't have to deal with Corsair's poo poo software.

If you still want to go mechanical, then watch out for CoolerMaster MasterKeys on sale on whatever size / LED variant you want to go with.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Constellation I posted:

If you don't care about mechanical, then the Logitech G213 at that sale price is decent enough. At least you don't have to deal with Corsair's poo poo software.

If you still want to go mechanical, then watch out for CoolerMaster MasterKeys on sale on whatever size / LED variant you want to go with.

Can you expand on Corsair's "poo poo software"?

This is part of why I'm so tempted to stick with Logitech: you can just plug-and-play without issue, and their expanded software is great if you want to use it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The K70lux doesn't require any software as it doesn't have RGB or macro keys and ergo doesn't need programmability. You only need the software with the RGB keyboards, and even then it'll still work without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Corsair has not had poo poo software in years, when they first launched their egg boards it was clunky and unintuitive as hell but now it’s fine.