Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a friend with the uuni. I've eaten some fine pizzas from it, but it seems fiddly. I don't have experience with any of the others to compare to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I couldn't get a sack of my regular type 00 flour at the supermarket right before Thanksgiving. I guess everybody else had the same idea. Even the bulk bin was pretty well cleaned out. I had a backup sack at home but drat.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Having done the 70-75% hydration recipes a few times, I think the general consensus here is that people don't really like it. The result is kind of soggy and floppy in something getting fired in the 700-900F range. So I wind up having to keep the pies towards the mouth of the oven to in effect dry out and get a little more structure. It isn't quite like this with 55% hydration, so I think I'll roll it back.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Hey pizza thread, I've dipped my toes back into the pizzaiolo world recently after I got a Pizzaque PC6500 propane-powered oven recently as a gift. I've been using this Tony Gemignani dough recipe that someone in this thread recommended and it works great. I made two batches today. Question: If I want to freeze a few of the dough balls, should I wait 36-48 hours for them to cold ferment and then freeze, or is it better to freeze earlier since they'll need to defrost 8-12 hours in the fridge?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i usually freeze before the cold ferment. however that does mean you have to wait several days after you pull it out of the freezer before you use it (if you want it cold fermented)

i have no evidence about which way is better

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Cross-post from the what did you make last night thread. Kenji's Detroit-style pizza. So drat good.

In the pan

Out of the pan

A big-rear end slice

Crust shot

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
God drat that looks just like perfect textbook right there.

I got the cookbook from Emily in NY (https://www.pizzalovesemily.com/ ) and took it as an excuse to work on my dough skills a bit more, and try out some new pie combos.

Dough stretching: still, eh, not quiiite round

Red sauce (I typically use that Detroit style sauce recipe from Kenji because I loving love it and would drink that sauce), Fresh mozz, percorino romano, pepperoni, pickled jalapenos, and a drizzle of honey after it comes out of the oven:

This combo was holy poo poo good. I'm never going back to plain ole hot pepper flakes for my heat on pizza needs again.

Sausage, pesto, goat cheese, pecorino and red sauce:

Longtime favorite of mine!

I was really happy with the crusts though:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

blixa posted:

Cross-post from the what did you make last night thread. Kenji's Detroit-style pizza. So drat good.

In the pan

Out of the pan

A big-rear end slice

Crust shot

Wanna eat that pie.

I’ve been doing a pizza every Monday for the last few months so here’s me committing to documenting it and showing y’all this time.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

blixa posted:

In the pan

Out of the pan

A big-rear end slice

Crust shot

No complaints. Agreed on the pepperoni but what a small note. Looks incredible.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can anyone diagnose how come my dough comes out like this? I used Kenji's Sicilian pizza dough recipe with a food processor and about a four hour rise.

Link to recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/spicy-spring-sicilian-pizza-recipe.html

Link to my pizza:
http://imgur.com/a/ctP7PkN

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
What's your gripe with it? From looking at it, looks a little dense and dry/crackery.

I'd up the dough hydration a % or 2, use a good bit more oil in the bottom of the pan, and give it another 10-15 minutes to rise in the pan before baking.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

It's too dense and a little dry. I was hoping for bigger bubbles. I'll try a little more water and oil in the pan next time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What kind of flour did you end up using? Hydration %, hydration method, flour type, and flour quality are related to each other.

Generally, a poorer flour quality or inappropriate flour type will require either more hydration or more tricks to improve hydration (bigas and other presoaking methods).

I ask disregarding what was put in the recipe since some people blow that off, use AP with gluten, use generic flour, go for type 00, and sometimes go for a real high-end bread flour. It's very volatile. The other problem with this is you can say what you used, but the recipe doesn't. It just instructs to use bread flour. The hydration comparing raw ounces was about 60% in the recipe, which I believe is the low end for bread flour hydration.

I previously posted I'm rolling back my hydration but that's also because I'm using type 00 at 900 degrees for one minute. I'd get a soggy strip through the pizza. Type 00 for that quick of a cook traditionally calls for ~55% hydration. A low-quality or inappropriate class of flour would take 70+ percent hydration to behave well.

I'd just monkey with the water first before playing with oil particularly because you're hoping for bigger bubbles. It would also be useful to know how hard it was to work with the dough, if you had to beat the poo poo out of it with a rolling pin, then it was probably too dry--if it wasn't just cold or not rested.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would absolutely say that that particular recipe does well with a shitload of oil in the pan itself though- More than adding extra oil to the dough when mixing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I previously posted I'm rolling back my hydration but that's also because I'm using type 00 at 900 degrees for one minute. I'd get a soggy strip through the pizza. Type 00 for that quick of a cook traditionally calls for ~55% hydration. A low-quality or inappropriate class of flour would take 70+ percent hydration to behave well.

What kind of pizza are you trying to make? From the 900 degrees for one minute, and using 00 flour, it sounds like Neapolitan, but 55% is bone dry for a Neapolitan. I typically run 61%-64% depending on the weather and that's still on the very low end. Most places in Naples are going 68%+.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I used King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour.

The dough went straight from the food processor onto the baking sheet at room temperature. I stretched it out very gently to about the size of a dinner plate and after a few hours at room temp I easily stretched it out to the edges of the pan (and it could have gone even larger) and let it rise for another hour.

As for the oil in the bottom of the pan, Kenji uses a full 1/4 cup but I think he tends to go crazy with the oil sometimes so I just eyeballed a couple good sized glugs into the bottom.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

The dough went straight from the food processor onto the baking sheet at room temperature. I stretched it out very gently to about the size of a dinner plate and after a few hours at room temp I easily stretched it out to the edges of the pan (and it could have gone even larger) and let it rise for another hour.

As for the oil in the bottom of the pan, Kenji uses a full 1/4 cup but I think he tends to go crazy with the oil sometimes so I just eyeballed a couple good sized glugs into the bottom.

You didn't let it rise before you attempted to stretch it?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Maybe "shaped" it is a better word.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I got a pizza stone for christmas. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos on pizza making and been making a pizza or two a day for the past few days. I had some fuckups early on but the last 2 pies have turned out great, with the newer one I did today tasting nearly restaurant-quality.

Second one is the one I made today. The dough was pretty much perfectly cooked. It all had the light and fresh taste I was going for that I like from my local favorite pizzaria I get this kind of pizza from.

But yeah I'm just getting started on my pizza-making adventures. Planning on making a pie nearly every day and trying different kinds of pies. I want to make a square-cut grandma pizza later for practice too so I can make pizza over at friends/relatives houses even without a stone.

Also I'm using a simple formula for making good pizza sauce of canned peeled san marzano tomatos that I crush by hand, add salt & pepper, and then add anything else I want. Tasting the sauce as I go to get a feel for the right amount of flavor every time I do it. (Was already doing this for pasta sauce before I started getting into pizzas too.) Some of the extra stuff I have added at whatever i feel like includes; olive oil, red wine, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, dry minced onions, and bay leaf. But apparently you can *literally* add anything you want to this simple sauce formula so you can experiment a lot.

Oh and as I get more used to this, the prep and cook time involved is getting much easier. The simpler tomatoes-moz-and-basil-leaves one I did today was so easy I could do that during a lunch break at a workplace with an oven-equipped kitchen if I take the dough out to warm up a half hour before I start. I'm sure my coworkers would like free fresh pizza too.

Tomorrow I'm actually going down to my city's Little Italy and pick up some semolina, pizzaria dough, cheeses that i'll try samples of to find out what I'd really like to add to my pizza palate, and rainbow cookies. Also fresh tomatoes if they have a specialty grocer with some flavorful ones I can find. I will also be checking out any pizzarias there that give tours or tips to tourists, or even let me back in the kitchen to watch them make pies or ask questions.

Also I'm gonna be trying out Pizza Al Taglio when I'm there. That kind of pizza is fascinating to me and there's a place that I'm going to that makes it in the Rome style big long loaves, as seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GajbZY0l7oY

The other two types of pizza that currently fascinate me; ice cube pizza (also seen in the above video) and detroit pizza with itty bitty pepperonis where you add the sauce after you make it. I definitely want to try making both of those. In fact I will be seeing if I can get some of the type of cheese used in the ice cube pizza tomorrow. I also want to try making cheeseless sicillian style pizza that's just the sauce & crust in the future.

Was also told about swedish-turkish kebab pizza by a swedish friend, and viking pizza. (The latter of which is kebab pizza served in a viking-longboat-shaped crust.) I dunno if I want to make it, but if I can find a good place that serves it around here I want to try it. Kebab pizza is apparently super-popular in sweden for some reason. I'd be interested in finding out the culinary history of how that happened.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 8, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Doom Rooster posted:

What kind of pizza are you trying to make? From the 900 degrees for one minute, and using 00 flour, it sounds like Neapolitan, but 55% is bone dry for a Neapolitan. I typically run 61%-64% depending on the weather and that's still on the very low end. Most places in Naples are going 68%+.

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/disciplinare%202008%20UK.pdf

I calculate around 57% for that, I guess, so I am advocating a little lower than normal, but 68%+ is too high for tradition and :toughguy: EU regulation :toughguy:. I thought it was in this thread itself where there was some talk about everybody starting to diverge and go wetter. Well, I tried it myself and I wind up with floppy pizzas with a wet strip inside. Our guests generally have responded better to the dryer crust too. It has more structure for the size. If I were baking for longer, I could understand going for a wetter crust because there's a bit more time for the water to do something during the bake.

If I go for something more like a New York pizza that runs a few minutes more at the 600-degree range, then that kind of hydration does make a little more sense. I have to usually position those towards the front because I've usually get the whole mess running at incineration temperature.

Human Tornada posted:

I remember some people on the Forno Bravo forums years ago--back when that place was active--poking around with King Arthur's bread flour and they all thought it worked pretty well, but they all did end up hydrating it more than using type 00. I kind of a did a similar thing and found that I could even use lovely supermarket AP flour with some extra gluten if I created a biga and started the previous day to hydrate the dough. So that meant mixing all my water with a fraction of the flour the night before. The weather had to be warm and humid to help in the handling of the dough though, and I didn't get as good of a membrane on the stretch test. I also risked the pizzas sticking to the peel, and ultimately got more semolina stuck on their bottoms to compensate. So you see me rambling about 55% or whatever, but you're probably in that 60-65+% place everybody else is talking, but mixing technique would also matter. You could lose some of your water if you didn't cover the pizza with a wet cloth while it was proofing in particular. I ultimately wound up finding a crazy-rear end mixer on Craigslist that could crush my arm to mix things so I've lost that skill.

I'm also obsessing over hydration but it could have been an issue with overproofing. When you say it was so easy to stretch, it makes me think that was possible. Generally, overproofed breads will have smaller bubbles.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I like SOME bubbles so I have started leaving a few in. As long as it's not bubbles that will completely destroy your topping landscape, some are cool by me.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Human Tornada posted:

Can anyone diagnose how come my dough comes out like this? I used Kenji's Sicilian pizza dough recipe with a food processor and about a four hour rise.

Link to recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/spicy-spring-sicilian-pizza-recipe.html

Link to my pizza:
http://imgur.com/a/ctP7PkN

So I've made Kenji's older Sicilian crust recipe many times, and it turns out great: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-square-pan-pizza-dough-recipe-sicilian-recipe.html

Interestingly, it's almost exactly the same ingredients as the one you used, but a slightly higher hydration and with twice the amount of olive oil in the pan. Your 4-hour rise might be too long. Once the dough pile reaches the edges of the pan, it should be stretched to fit. And then topped and baked pretty quickly. That second added rise after stretching is something he added in your recipe that's not in the old one. Perhaps that's leading to your over rise that would cause it to collapse while baking.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

No pics cause I forgot but I put capers on a pizza and am now annoyed I never thought of it before.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

A Sometimes Food posted:

No pics cause I forgot but I put capers on a pizza and am now annoyed I never thought of it before.

Capers, the gross booger version of anchovy.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Hey pizza thread, I've dipped my toes back into the pizzaiolo world recently after I got a Pizzaque PC6500 propane-powered oven recently as a gift. I've been using this Tony Gemignani dough recipe that someone in this thread recommended and it works great. I made two batches today. Question: If I want to freeze a few of the dough balls, should I wait 36-48 hours for them to cold ferment and then freeze, or is it better to freeze earlier since they'll need to defrost 8-12 hours in the fridge?

To provide an update, I should have done this:

BraveUlysses posted:

i usually freeze before the cold ferment.

As it ended up, a ~48 hour cold ferment + freezing + 18 hour defrost gave me a dough with too little elasticity, and it ended up being too chewy and without a good oven spring. We still ate the hell out of it, but there was a definite drop in quality of the crust.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Anyone seen these before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RagtuOx5ygs

Apparently they go up to 400° (or 750°F). My little clamshell says it does 350° but I usually clock it around 320-330 or so on the stone after the thermostat keeps kicking in (I live in an apartment with no real outdoor space). They're expensive as hell though ($1000USD) and they don't seem to sell them in australia despite breville being an australian company and the oven being designed down here.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Anyone seen these before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RagtuOx5ygs

Apparently they go up to 400° (or 750°F). My little clamshell says it does 350° but I usually clock it around 320-330 or so on the stone after the thermostat keeps kicking in (I live in an apartment with no real outdoor space). They're expensive as hell though ($1000USD) and they don't seem to sell them in australia despite breville being an australian company and the oven being designed down here.

Remove the thermal limiter on your clamshell :devil:

The Breville looks pretty cool, but I can't imagine paying anywhere near $1000 for it. Their 90 second pizza doesn't look cooked enough in the middle sadly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

This one right here is basically the holy grail of food processors.

Months late, but...

Question: The product description says this processor doesn’t come with a dough blade. Is there a dough blade out there that works with it? Or if there isn’t, can it still be used to mix dough anyway?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

clockworx posted:

Remove the thermal limiter on your clamshell :devil:

I wish I knew how! I have no idea how to disassemble mine (breville crispycrust) or what to look for if I did get it apart. I've seen some videos of other clamshells where people pop off the plastic dial and adjust the potentiometer with a screwdriver, but my pot seems to be covered underneath the dial as well.

I currently just blowtorch the cornicione before/after though to get it where i want. it's ugly but it does an OK job

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I wish I knew how! I have no idea how to disassemble mine (breville crispycrust) or what to look for if I did get it apart. I've seen some videos of other clamshells where people pop off the plastic dial and adjust the potentiometer with a screwdriver, but my pot seems to be covered underneath the dial as well.

I currently just blowtorch the cornicione before/after though to get it where i want. it's ugly but it does an OK job

Ah gotcha. The Breville looked nice, but I never got one. I've gotten a whole bunch of other kinds though. The clamshells are pretty cheap - around $40 on eBay in the US if you can find the right deal, but checking out ebay AU they don't look to be as prevalent. (cheapest was around $200 AUD).

Edit: Found this, I'm guessing it would be modding the thermostat (if possible), which requires removing part of the the top:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/breville-bpz600xl-the-crispy-crust-pizza-oven-parts-c-116052_116057_290285.html

clockworx fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 16, 2019

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Catered a wedding in the pouring rain today! Bless 10x10 popups. Only managed to snap one shot during service.

Pepperoni Pizza!

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
Rain on a wedding day in the desert. Some odds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cointelprofessional posted:

They get a lot shorter when you arrange outdoor catering.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cointelprofessional posted:

Some odds - that's what Alanis Morisette should have called the song.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Jedit posted:

They get a lot shorter when you arrange outdoor catering.

The wedding party came from the UK, so they just drank more Boddington's and were generally cheerful about it all. I had a 900 degree oven to work in front of, wasn't a bad day compared to some windy/cold days I've had.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

I. M. Gei posted:

Months late, but...

Question: The product description says this processor doesn’t come with a dough blade. Is there a dough blade out there that works with it? Or if there isn’t, can it still be used to mix dough anyway?

I've used the metal blade for dough with no problems.

From what I've read the regular metal blades actually work better than a dedicated plastic dough blade, although I've never tested one myself.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

https://imgur.com/gallery/q64XyTt

It’s national pizza day!

And the awful app is not uploading pictures today!

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 10, 2019

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

made a pie

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

All these goons makin pizza is not helping my urge to get a pizza oven.

When I do, I’m definitely going to buy or make my own habanero honey to drizzle on top. The spice and sweetness takes a normal pizza over the top based on my experiences at restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Democratic Pirate posted:

All these goons makin pizza is not helping my urge to get a pizza oven.

When I do, I’m definitely going to buy or make my own habanero honey to drizzle on top. The spice and sweetness takes a normal pizza over the top based on my experiences at restaurants.

Just compromise with a baking steel and your wishes will all be answered. I'm definitely with you on the hot and sweet toppings though, the last pie I had with pickled jalapenos + the honey drizzle was completely loving awesome.