Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Wulfrik is the true Everchosen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Venom Snake posted:

Huh I didn’t even know TWH had mods. Also i think this campaign as bretonnia might be hosed because the vampire coast had already destroyed all the kingdoms south of me. Should be fun tho.

there are few id consider necessary but many that improve the game.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I was a firm user of "no AI agent actions" mods in previous games, but in TW2 I feel less need for it. AI is more likely to keep agents in armies than constantly screw up all your drat cities. You sometimes get hit by one, but it's far from "all my family members got assassinated by those completely foreign culture assassins".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gejnor posted:

They are not, and the AI cheats like crazy when it comes to confederations (and everything else).

HAPPY CHAOS PAGE THREAD!

To elaborate, the AI receives a massive bonus to the success of confederations and completely ignores the diplomatic situation, i.e. you will frequently see a tiny single province Greenskin faction confederate a giant Bloody Spearz, for example. They also don't have any cooldown on multiple confederations, and are not subject to tech limitations or anything(wood elves can confederate immediately as AI, for example).

It's why if you're trying to get rid of the greenskins in the badlands you absolutely have to destroy Grimgor and Wurrzag ASAP, because they can confederate a deathball even if you're whomping the various orc minors.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I can't imagine playing without aggressive agents. I LOVE doing hostile actions all game long with my heroes, getting them ahead of the curve in levels early is IMO the key to snowballing hard in a campaign, especially in SFO. Losing a hero on turn 3 to a super low chance assassination does indeed suck, but being able to do the same to the AI all game long seems like something that would be too hard to give up.

Does that mod prevent you from using the other aggressive actions or is it just assassinate? IE block army, attack units/garrison? I wouldn't give up block army for all the teeth in the world.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

fargom posted:

I can't imagine playing without aggressive agents. I LOVE doing hostile actions all game long with my heroes, getting them ahead of the curve in levels early is IMO the key to snowballing hard in a campaign, especially in SFO. Losing a hero on turn 3 to a super low chance assassination does indeed suck, but being able to do the same to the AI all game long seems like something that would be too hard to give up.

Does that mod prevent you from using the other aggressive actions or is it just assassinate? IE block army, attack units/garrison? I wouldn't give up block army for all the teeth in the world.

The mod just stops the AI from using aggressive actions, you can still do the actions to your hearts' content. That said, only time I've ever had the agent actions get really annoying is when the trait "Unlucky" pops up on a lord and then cascades to the -3 tier and leads to one of your lords getting perpetually sabotaged/slowed. For some reason the Dark Elves seem to be the worst in this regard.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Is the bug where -% chance to assassinate rolls over to 100% fixed? If no, that’s a pretty good reason to run with that mod.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Frog Act posted:

I played a vanilla campaign of them ages ago and don't remember it being quite as punishing as SFO has been so far with regular infantry units, but it seems to value heroes a lot, and holy poo poo, it lets you abuse auto-resolve. I only managed to take it on turn 13ish because I abused the poo poo out of repeatedly sacking the first place for exp until my lord and heroes were level 7ish, then lured the enemy out and autoresolve abused, which allowed my LL to kill 300 orks, the slayer to do 250, and the runelord 200, which I could never do in a regular battle lmao

yeah, my plan is to confederate Zhufbar asap, they're barely holding on against the Vampire Counts, and then from there I'll be able to build up for awhile until I can confederate the dwarfs because you're basically up fart creek as the Dwarfs in general without Karaz-a-Karak. I'm remembering the post you made about having money troubles, which totally makes sense if you're playing as KK instead of just the regular Dwarfs, since without that gem mine and ten slots in Karaz-a-Karak you have to allot tons more space just to being able to build a basic roster. starting with a small city with just slayers available for recruitment is economically very precarious and not how you'd normally start a Dwarfs game at all

I can't quite decide if I like all these new buildings in SFO but I think I do, like the Construction Site one that I'm using while I build stuff but plan to demolish later is pretty neat, and I like that some add skaven corruption and stuff. its all very on-the-nose lorewise

ed: wow Zhufbar was willing to confederate on turn 23 without me using my cheesy diplomacy cheat, which I only discovered because the Dwarfs snapped them up and I was all "oh poo poo no I need those" and went back a turn to do it. how did the AI dwarfs do that, anyway, if the player cant because of grudges? is AI not subject to grudge mechanics?
Ahh didnt realize you were using a mod. Still seems like it is still similar enough. I wanted to get those four cities under control ASAP so I recruited a second lord and had him siege their last town, then put my main army in Ambush stance in support range.

I have a save from turn 8 and I may go back and gently caress with the VC some more to get my economy/lord levels off the ground via raiding/sacking and to give the 'Dwarfs' some time to get wrecked by Bloody Spearz/Greenskins so they will confederate at a reasonable time.

Rhjamiz posted:

I need to get a Norsca campaign along far enough to have Wulfric fight Archaeon.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I can't remember ever having had an agent assassinated. The chance is just so low once they get a few levels, and only one agent type per faction even can assassinate. Just roll with the risk, agents are always expendable anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eschatos posted:

I can't remember ever having had an agent assassinated. The chance is just so low once they get a few levels, and only one agent type per faction even can assassinate. Just roll with the risk, agents are always expendable anyway.

Only one agent per faction can assassinate, but literally every agent can make wound attempts, which might as well be the same goddamn thing since it deletes the hero for several turns and then spawns them at a random city in bumfuck nowhere 10 turns away from their home stack.

Being at war with like 4-5 people is great when you get the buzzing bee swarm of agents picking at your main stack constantly forever.

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

Chakan posted:

Is the bug where -% chance to assassinate rolls over to 100% fixed? If no, that’s a pretty good reason to run with that mod.

It's fixed in the Festag update that should release soon (or you can opt into the beta on Steam)

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would there be any interest in a tournament around the time Festag releases out of beta? Specifically going with "tabletop-rules" wherein folks make their army lists before matchmaking. I just bought TWW2 pretty recently and would love to get some more multiplayer in, and I like the idea of that setup rather than the more meta-heavy counter-play setup of building your army to your opponent.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Would there be any interest in a tournament around the time Festag releases out of beta? Specifically going with "tabletop-rules" wherein folks make their army lists before matchmaking. I just bought TWW2 pretty recently and would love to get some more multiplayer in, and I like the idea of that setup rather than the more meta-heavy counter-play setup of building your army to your opponent.

I'd be down, lose as I will

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd love that!

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Apparently if your waagh initiates the siege of K8P as skarsnik, you get the city but it doesn't count towards his campaign mechanic. So If I didn't have a copy of save from the previous day, I would of had to do an entire gobbo campaign with -14 disobedience in every province.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ad090 posted:

Apparently if your waagh initiates the siege of K8P as skarsnik, you get the city but it doesn't count towards his campaign mechanic. So If I didn't have a copy of save from the previous day, I would of had to do an entire gobbo campaign with -14 disobedience in every province.

waagh has always been a terrible mechanic and I hope it gets replaced by something in a greenskin update.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I decided to try a new idea for a Dwarf playthrough in SFO where I started as Karak Kadrin and confederated (via mods) Zhufbar and the regular Dwarfs on turn 1 before the AI gets to do anything with them at all. its like doing all the Dwarf starts at once and on hard its actually...pretty hard because you're going broke immediately and at war on four fronts trying to unite your separate regions

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

I have literally never played multi but I would be down to play

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright, my eye is twitching really bad:

That open lump in the middle of my glorious Karak Kadrin empire is 'Dwarfs' and they refuse to Confederate. Considering how it is acknowledged that the Confederation mechanic can be clunky, is there a mod I can download to help me fix this? Or some sort of console command? Something?

Also I have 400 relations with them and I am the #1 faction strength, though they are somehow #5 faction strength.
... probably because everyone else is a disorganized mess right now. The Empire only owns 3 cities but Talabacland owns 11, Brettonia is a mess, ect.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 16, 2019

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Easier Confederation is, I think, still the go to mod. It's on the workshop and savegame compatible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Electronico6 posted:

Easier Confederation is, I think, still the go to mod. It's on the workshop and savegame compatible.
You're a hero, thank you.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That open lump in the middle of my glorious Karak Kadrin empire is 'Dwarfs' and they refuse to Confederate. Considering how it is acknowledged that the Confederation mechanic can be clunky, is there a mod I can download to help me fix this? Or some sort of console command? Something?

Also I have 400 relations with them and I am the #1 faction strength, though they are somehow #5 faction strength.
... probably because everyone else is a disorganized mess right now. The Empire only owns 3 cities but Talabacland owns 11, Brettonia is a mess, ect.

Also you could download Simple Diplomacy, makes the AI accept ANY agreement you put forth as long as you offer them 300g.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

I'm game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Azran posted:

Also you could download Simple Diplomacy, makes the AI accept ANY agreement you put forth as long as you offer them 300g.

I mean, once you start getting mods like that, why not just swap the game to Easy/Easy and enable infinite gold while your at it, it'll be about as challenging.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I mean, once you start getting mods like that, why not just swap the game to Easy/Easy and enable infinite gold while your at it, it'll be about as challenging.
Yeah I've waited hoping the game would let me do it but this is more about pretty borders and the fact that I have them 100% surrounded, so they should be willing, goddamnit. Otherwise I'll be turning the difficulty up with my next campaign, but for this I just want to Enable the mod => Confederate 'Dwarfs' => Disable mod.

edit: tl;dr:

Krazyface posted:

It's obviously only to be used in situations like this, where the AI is being a poo poo for no good reason.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's obviously only to be used in situations like this, where the AI is being a poo poo for no good reason.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

In this case I usually just attack them and take it. It's an offer they can't refuse

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's boring as hell if you use it all the time but if you want to just quickly confederate a faction, it's as painless as it gets. :shrug:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Or if you wanted to do gimmicks with the diplomacy like create unlikely coalitions and poo poo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sounds like you easy mode players just can't enjoy my unparalleled TW experience, with all of the core mechanics precisely as Creative Assembly intended them :smug:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So are any of the older Total War games worth dusting off? Last time I truly played was Medieval 2. Then Empire came and it just didn't click and I dropped the series for a long time. Tried Rome 2 at launch and it was a mess and haven't touched it since.

I hear Rome 2 is actually good now but I wonder just what that means, exactly.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
it means its fun but simply can't compare to the majesty of warhammer :O

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ammanas posted:

it means its fun but simply can't compare to the majesty of warhammer :O

I believe it. Warhammer was always meant to be a Total War game and I'm kind of glad they waited as long as they did. I assume it would have been less fun if they had made it back in like, 2005 anyway.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

By "they" I means GW obviously. And it wasn't so much waiting as it was "Well we killed off this setting, bideo games can have it now"

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

So are any of the older Total War games worth dusting off? Last time I truly played was Medieval 2. Then Empire came and it just didn't click and I dropped the series for a long time. Tried Rome 2 at launch and it was a mess and haven't touched it since.

Rome 2 battles are bland compared to Warhammer. Naval ones are frustrating mess. And building trees are screwed up for most minor factions, with many trap choices and useless progression. Either mod it (Divide et Impera is usually recommended) or get Shogun 2. S2 campaign is a lot more well designed, the only downside is everyone have the same units.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Rhjamiz posted:

Shogun 2 is a perfect game. Every unit has a place in the roster, especially the peasants, since the economy is incredibly tight. There's absolutely no filler. Everyone has roughly the same roster, but the unique units generally feel pivotal, as do the special provinces that buff the stats of units trained there. The naval battles are trash, I guess, but you can get decent results auto-resolving everything.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I wouldn't say Shogun 2 is perfect but it is very very good and definitely worth playing. It's ultra-polished and the atmosphere is top-notch. The naval battles - and especially the tendency for the AI to spam lots of tiny fleets everywhere which are a pain to hunt down - bring it all down a bit, and the Realm Divide mechanic is divisive but not a big issue if you're expecting it (everyone will turn on you after a certain point in the base campaign, even your staunchest allies). Very much worth your time though.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

toasterwarrior posted:

this might be the chaos page but archaon will always be a punk

Rhjamiz posted:

Archaon actually has armour-piercing on his sword now, though.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I just got finished loving up the world as spikebros and can confirm Archaon is pretty baller and Tyrion is a big dumb loser whose girlfriend I stole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This seems relevant to thread mood.