Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The timing on that video is amazing. I wonder how long it took them to get that thing unstuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

AFewBricksShy posted:

The timing on that video is amazing. I wonder how long it took them to get that thing unstuck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AFewBricksShy posted:

No kidding. How would you unfuck that thing?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

No kidding. How would you unfuck that thing?
Tow strap or push bumper would unfuck it in a hurry. The latter in more of a hurry, of course.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively or in conjunction with putting the wheels on dollies.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Day Man posted:

There's no way that the guy was smart enough to understand what you were trying to teach, sorry.
I agree but I had spare time that morning and I was more curious to see if the guy was actually saving time or not. At the very least, it will make his story better when he tells his bros about how he flipped me off a second time at the stop light.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wonder if there's enough space front/rear for the lean when you jack it up..

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

IOwnCalculus posted:

No need for that. 2 guys, one on each front or rear wheel arch. Bounce the car in unison. After a couple bounces, they will be able to move it laterally on the up bounce a few inches.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I just find the whole mess fascinating. The car is a perfect fit. Like how the moon perfectly eclipses the sun. An astronomical anomaly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Roundabout question for those more experienced.

In a 2 lane roundabout, the signs clearly show the right lane can turn right or go straight, and the left lane can go straight or turn left.

This morning a dude entered in the right lane and just followed it all the way around to turn left, crossing in front of me. I wasn't next to him, I was going the opposite direction and had not yet entered the circle. But I almost did, because the lane he was in required him to exit the circle and he didn't.

I'm guessing I still have to yield to him because he's in the circle, even though he's turning from the wrong lane, right? I still honked at him for turning from the wrong lane and he got all mad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I had a foreign lorry driver do that on front of me at about 40mph, the correct thing to do is not get killed and swear loudly inside your car for about 20 minutes, them clean your seat.

E: we entered the circle together, I was in the inside lane, him outside, expecting both to go on, I had to panic swerve when he continued across the front of me.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

LloydDobler posted:

Roundabout question for those more experienced.

In a 2 lane roundabout, the signs clearly show the right lane can turn right or go straight, and the left lane can go straight or turn left.

This morning a dude entered in the right lane and just followed it all the way around to turn left, crossing in front of me. I wasn't next to him, I was going the opposite direction and had not yet entered the circle. But I almost did, because the lane he was in required him to exit the circle and he didn't.

I'm guessing I still have to yield to him because he's in the circle, even though he's turning from the wrong lane, right? I still honked at him for turning from the wrong lane and he got all mad.

Sideswipe is a pretty common accident in those types of roundabouts where people don't know what they're doing. That said, it's preferable to a 4-way or 2-way stop where the physical penalties you pay for being an idiot are much harsher.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I love roundabouts. I do not like folks driving in roundabouts.

There's one in a shopping center right next to my house. 2 lane roundabout. Outer lane is always a right turn at the next exit, inner lane is if you're going straight or taking a left.

It's signed very well.

People still gently caress it up.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There's a rotary near where I work where a major 2 lane road with a 40 mph speed limit feeds into it coming downhill off a bridge. Invariably the people on that road enter the rotary at 30+mph and don't yield. I've had to brake to avoid being hit by someone entering so many times I do it automatically now. I always honk at the fuckers though, it doesn't help but it makes me feel better.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Once again I'm here to bitch about oblivious people not accelerating to get onto the highway.

Traveling down the highway I notice someone's in the weave lane cruising at an absolutely blistering 40 MPH compared to the highway's stated 65 MPH, signalling that he wants to enter the highway. Again I'm in the outside lane so I have to deal with him. My options are slam on the brakes or accelerate. Since I don't feel like screeching to a full and complete halt on the highway I put on a little gas to pass him.

Idiot continues to be oblivious and tries to merge into me, forcing me to swerve to avoid him and nearly slam into the landscaping truck on the other side of me.

I can't win with these chucklefucks. I slow down to let them on and they brake harder to let me pass. I try to pass them and they try to slam into me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Protocol7 posted:

There's one in a shopping center right next to my house. 2 lane roundabout. Outer lane is always a right turn at the next exit, inner lane is if you're going straight or taking a left.

It's signed very well.

What, you expect people to read SIGNS?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmwbCXMRsg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is the content I crave.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can just hear the cop that got ran into....SERIOUSLY ERNIE WHAT THE gently caress YOU MORON

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guarantee that black car got dinged for not yielding to an emergency vehicle or something.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Protocol7 posted:

It's signed very well.

The lane shift on the east side of this one is always fun, especially when the person next to you decides they don’t want to go straight east anymore

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh gently caress. That is treacherous. Whoever designed that has way more faith in the average driver than I do.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

Guarantee that black car got dinged for not yielding to an emergency vehicle or something.

No, they tried to call it a hit and run
https://www.nbcdfw.com/traffic/stories/2-Irving-Motorcycle-Officers-Car-Collide-Shutting-Down-Texas-161-504377151.html

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
https://www.kmov.com/news/instant-karma-driver-tries-to-destroy-giant-snowman-hits-tree/article_0f3cca64-e64c-5f6d-b914-3ea0c404eb91.html

Truck tries to plow through a giant snowman, not knowing that it was built over a giant tree stump.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SimonCat posted:

https://www.kmov.com/news/instant-karma-driver-tries-to-destroy-giant-snowman-hits-tree/article_0f3cca64-e64c-5f6d-b914-3ea0c404eb91.html

Truck tries to plow through a giant snowman, not knowing that it was built over a giant tree stump.

God, I wish there was video.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

nm posted:

God, I wish there was video.

Even just audio would be enough.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

What a surprise.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

Oh gently caress. That is treacherous. Whoever designed that has way more faith in the average driver than I do.

yeah that specific one is awesome. also this one in the middle of the valley about an hour away from that one:

its not even loving marked and all the feeder streets are two lane! I had to use this one every day for about 5 years, good luck! :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

carry on then posted:

The lane shift on the east side of this one is always fun, especially when the person next to you decides they don’t want to go straight east anymore

Turbo Roundabout! Kind of a standard thing, although they have some extra design considerations compared to single-lane roundabouts

Maker Of Shoes posted:

yeah that specific one is awesome. also this one in the middle of the valley about an hour away from that one:

its not even loving marked and all the feeder streets are two lane! I had to use this one every day for about 5 years, good luck! :v:

This must not have any serious accidents on record because this is basically malpractice for the DOT that maintains it, and the first serious injury or death would lead to a lawsuit that would have it fixed pretty quickly

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Devor posted:

This must not have any serious accidents on record because this is basically malpractice for the DOT that maintains it, and the first serious injury or death would lead to a lawsuit that would have it fixed pretty quickly

Tons of accidents!.....buuuuuuuuuuut nobody wants to do anything about it because technically the feeder roads in the north of the picture are private and owned by the resort just out of the shot and the southern feeder roads are owned by the city/sate. this doesn't matter to normal people who use the entire stretch of it to bypass I-10 traffic jams that runs N/S along side this monstrosity.

Fun story: one year a major water main that runs underneath it failed and caused the entire roundabout to collapse about 2 feet. neither party offered to fix it. month later someone living in the apartments just to the south of this picture rented a bobcat and did the world's worst "there, i fixed it" just to get traffic moving since the jams cut off the apartments entirely from any entry or exit.

red tape :allears:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What's exciting is that both the roundabouts at that I-17/Happy Valley interchange are going to be completely ripped out in favor of a diverging diamond!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

carry on then posted:

What's exciting is that both the roundabouts at that I-17/Happy Valley interchange are going to be completely ripped out in favor of a diverging diamond!

of loving course.

lmao, just lmao

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got our first diverging diamond a few years ago, it's actually pretty cool.

Except they didn't have the room to realign the local road so it makes an annoying S bend and you can't really keep speed through it. The first couple weeks after opening it was posted at 45 mph, then suddenly 35 mph signs were slapped in. :downs:

A second one has construction spinning up that has even less space to fit into.

https://patch.com/illinois/romeoville/construction-begins-i-55-weber-road

lol at that sine wave and unbalanced lane counts

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
yeah I don't dislike the format, just that the area has to be ripped up. again.

e: also this vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 19, 2019

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's a doomed road anyway. All the people live on one side and all the nearby shops/restaurants/jobs are on the other due to brilliantly short sighted planning so every day it's a nightmare after 2.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
We have one DDI here, it was a solution in search of a problem and everyone hates it.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Just chiming in to say that ADOT is a brain-damaged collective and more than half of the freeway interchanges in the Phoenix metro almost seem to be designed to point drivers the wrong way.

Also, in Arizona, road-worthiness is an afterthought. I had to dodge a guy on Camelback once because he had probably completely *lost* a tie-rod end and was still driving on it, going somewhat straight but with his front left wheel pointed completely sideways.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Farmdizzle posted:

I had to dodge a guy on Camelback once because he had probably completely *lost* a tie-rod end and was still driving on it, going somewhat straight but with his front left wheel pointed completely sideways.

Where are the tie-rod ends located on a camel?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

There's a rotary near where I work where a major 2 lane road with a 40 mph speed limit feeds into it coming downhill off a bridge. Invariably the people on that road enter the rotary at 30+mph and don't yield. I've had to brake to avoid being hit by someone entering so many times I do it automatically now. I always honk at the fuckers though, it doesn't help but it makes me feel better.

Here's the rotary in question. The idiots mentioned above are entering from the bottom right lanes.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

This quote especially stuck out to me:

quote:

"However, we are still looking to interview someone who may have witnessed the incident but left prior to giving their statement to responding officers."

If that's not blatant "we're looking for a scapegoat for our dumbass officers", I dunno what is, holy poo poo