Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Crunchyroll hand picked this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pewdiepie posted:

She’s aged up but still has the mind of a child. I’m only on chapter 8 but sounds like it gets even worse.

sounds like something to definitely continue reading

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Junpei Hyde posted:

Crunchyroll hand picked this poo poo

I checked out a random ninja series on Crunchyroll and all the ninjas got naked, so I'm unsure what the gently caress is going on with the service.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

sounds like something to definitely continue reading

I'll keep you posted.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LorneReams posted:

I checked out a random ninja series on Crunchyroll and all the ninjas got naked, so I'm unsure what the gently caress is going on with the service.

Making your clothes invisible is an extremely advanced ninja technique.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a thread for disrespecting the bad MRA show, leave the tiddy ninjas alone.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Julias posted:

You really shouldn't-although I don't know all the details, he often times gets paid to advertise stuff from Crunchyroll, and considering how hard CR is trying to push the series, and his status as an influencer, I can almost guarantee you he was cut a check to shill it.

Alternatively he just has poo poo tastes :v:

The thing is, he doesn't mostly; shill or not (and at times he is very shill-y), his stuff is mostly good and comes from an understandable place. I like to have it on in the background at work sometimes when I need help staying awake and music isn't cutting it.

Which leads me to an interesting place: do I write this off as more shilling by a soulless company, or do I think he means it, and check back periodically to see how his... opinion develops? :unsmigghh: Because while I don't like this show, I do like schadenfreude...

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

LorneReams posted:

I have a friend who keeps bugging me to ask what that series is. Could you let me know so I can let him know?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Cephas posted:

name a single japanese video game where equipping a shield is a high level strategy

you can't

that's because japan didn't use shields

dark souls :twisted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

I have a friend who keeps bugging me to ask what that series is. Could you let me know so I can let him know?

Senran Kagura? We've got a semi-regular poster here who's completely obsessed with it (unless he got banned for oversharing again).

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Haha oh wow... This adaptation.

People think I'm an rapist. But I want to stay at this inn with this little scared looking girl I bought.
But she's having awful night terrors. How should I approach this situation?

I GOT IT!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

TBH any random ninja anime has a high chance of stripping.

My guess is Senran Kagura.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

The thing is, he doesn't mostly; shill or not (and at times he is very shill-y), his stuff is mostly good and comes from an understandable place. I like to have it on in the background at work sometimes when I need help staying awake and music isn't cutting it.

Which leads me to an interesting place: do I write this off as more shilling by a soulless company, or do I think he means it, and check back periodically to see how his... opinion develops? :unsmigghh: Because while I don't like this show, I do like schadenfreude...

Was it Mother's Basement who sometimes got weird about underaged stuff, or was that another anime youtuber?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Darth Walrus posted:

Was it Mother's Basement who sometimes got weird about underaged stuff, or was that another anime youtuber?

Huh? Not to my knowledge... Sure you're not thinking of Gigguk, or something?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Darth Walrus posted:

Senran Kagura? We've got a semi-regular poster here who's completely obsessed with it (unless he got banned for oversharing again).

he tortures us daily in the DBZ thread now

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

This is a thread for disrespecting the bad MRA show, leave the tiddy ninjas alone.

It's quarantine until wark gets round to banning everyone who posts within

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

he tortures us daily in the DBZ thread now

Shield Hero GT was the best one

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

That's Digibro, who's probably a pedophile (and just a creep in general)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

also apparently the series has really high production values which is a real bummer that so much effort is being wasted on such a trash series

*shrug* Even if it's a series I don't care about, I'd prefer this since it means the staff is probably dying a little less than the alternative.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LorneReams posted:

Sounds like the system works OP

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Julias posted:

That's Digibro, who's probably a pedophile (and just a creep in general)

Seriously? Somebody just recommended his "why Log Horizon is good" series to me, kinda glad I decided to wait and see what he actually has to say about it before passing it along.

YamiB.
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/G0ffThew/status/1081809305647472640

I expect Mother's Basement might change tune about this show after it goes for a bit. I do recall him complaining about Isekai shows making excuses for slavery in the past.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

You can’t blame the guy for not knowing spoilers about stuff that happens later in the novel/manga. I went into the first episode blind like he did and had basically the same reaction as him.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ill blame anybody for whatever i want to.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pinning unsolved murders on random youtubers is my day job.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I originally thought the overall story was going to be about Shield Hero letting go of anger, since that IS a theme in the story. At first I didn't think it was particularly misogynistic, because every human except the blacksmith was awful to Shield Hero so I figured it was misanthropic since EVERYONE was awful. The slave thing seemed like Shield Hero was against it at first and it irked me when he kept it going, and the sudden aging up of his demihuman party member was weird as hell and made me think it was going to get gross, but Shield Hero never showed any lecherous tendencies as far as I read in the manga, and it avoided fanservice. But then Shield Hero puts a slave tattoo on his other party members (all girls), and I realized that every female character was either completely subservient to Shield Hero or was trying to manipulate or destroy him. Also he really focuses on the evil princess over the evil king when he gets his revenge, even though the king would be way more responsible for everything going on. Then I heard of stuff from the LN that hadn't happened in the manga yet and it was even worse so I stopped.

So basically Shield Hero is decent at hiding a misogynistic theme behind a misanthropic theme. If you're as dumb as I am anyway.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I originally thought the overall story was going to be about Shield Hero letting go of anger, since that IS a theme in the story. At first I didn't think it was particularly misogynistic, because every human except the blacksmith was awful to Shield Hero so I figured it was misanthropic since EVERYONE was awful. The slave thing seemed like Shield Hero was against it at first and it irked me when he kept it going, and the sudden aging up of his demihuman party member was weird as hell and made me think it was going to get gross, but Shield Hero never showed any lecherous tendencies as far as I read in the manga, and it avoided fanservice. But then Shield Hero puts a slave tattoo on his other party members (all girls), and I realized that every female character was either completely subservient to Shield Hero or was trying to manipulate or destroy him. Also he really focuses on the evil princess over the evil king when he gets his revenge, even though the king would be way more responsible for everything going on. Then I heard of stuff from the LN that hadn't happened in the manga yet and it was even worse so I stopped.

So basically Shield Hero is decent at hiding a misogynistic theme behind a misanthropic theme. If you're as dumb as I am anyway.

Im worried about you.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

i love all the people on twitter using “well the author contrived the situation that makes the main character committing horrible acts x, y and z necessary, so what do you expect him to do” like it’s some kind of defense of the work

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i love using twitter and not seeing any of those people

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

Shousetsuka ni Narou generates a ton of content, of which pretty much anything that updates regularly and makes the ranking gets a print version. If you walk into a bookstore and look at a LN shelf these days a significant chunk of what you see started on Narou or one of its few competitors.

If you scour Narou you can find maybe a handful of series that are honestly pretty good- the aforementioned Re:Zero, Slime, Konosuba, Log Horizon, and Bakarina, for instance. I might add a few more like I'm a Spider So What, Sword Dad, Bookworm, Death Mage, Kenkyo Kenjitsu, and Make My Abilities Average that don't have an anime or so much hype around them yet, but that you can expect to see in the future. Stuff on this level is good enough that you can at least recommend it to someone without it being awkward.

Then you have the biggest group, the stuff that is generally enjoyable, but that has some sort of problematic...issue about them that make things uncomfortable. Last Season's Goblin Slayer, though it didn't start on Narou, is an example of this. So is Death March, Gate, or this summer's Arifureta. They might be fine most of the time, but have just a little bit of rape/slavery apologism/underaged love interests/uncomfortable nationalism/etc that ruins it.

Then you have the absolute garbage, where I'd be uncomfortable being in the same room as the author. Shield Hero goes here.

No idea why they thought this would be a good idea to adapt.

Gonna give some contrarian opinions about this.

Enjoying a lot of the stuff you listed is heavily dependent upon the person, for whatever reason, being capable of enjoying your average isekai tropes. If they don't find the premise of someone gaining a bunch of overpowered skills in a fantasy world to be inherently interesting/enjoyable, they're probably not going to enjoy about half of these titles. I would trim the list significantly if you actually wanted to narrow it down to stuff that meets the standard of "roughly as good as decent non-WN (or LN original) content that actually feels like a proper professional product people who aren't specifically into isekai might enjoy." So in case anyone tries something from this list and bounces off of it, I'd say the most decent among series you listed are:

- Re: Zero (unique setting and has a good sense for drama and crafting compelling scenes)
- Konosuba (good humor)
- I'm a Spider So What (I'd add a qualifier that the parts that follow the main character are kinda eh, but it at least has a coherent overarching plot that doesn't feel like the author's making it up as they go along; if it solely focused on the main protagonist, I'd rank it among the stuff I'm not listing here).
- Kenkyo Kenjitsu/Bakarina (good humor, though I enjoy the "reincarnated as villainess in an otome game/manga" genre considerably more than power fantasy isekai)
- Bookworm (up until a point; later it falls into some more typical problems with the genre, though it's still better than most and probably the best example of the "uses modern technology in fantasy setting" isekai sub-genre)
- Can't speak to Log Horizon; I found it boring, but I also didn't react to it poorly so I don't have any actual negative opinions about it and wouldn't directly discourage anyone from checking it out

Death March, Gate, and Arifureta are pretty trashy and very characteristic of a Typical Isekai Web Novel, even if they aren't outright offensive to human sensibilities like Shield Hero or other stuff with slaves. They play the power fantasy/wish fulfillment angles very straight. Stuff like Slime or Sword Dad is a bit better than those, but still leaves me with the constant unshakable feeling of "this is the uninspired work of a complete amateur who is just making stuff up as they go along."

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I was so disappointed in Arifureta, start of the LN is a blacksmith getting poo poo on because it's an LN, and then instead of crafting his way into onipotence like I'd been hoping; it's just another story about a dude eating progressivly bigger and bigger monsters to gain their power.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Gonna give some contrarian opinions about this.

Enjoying a lot of the stuff you listed is heavily dependent upon the person, for whatever reason, being capable of enjoying your average isekai tropes. If they don't find the premise of someone gaining a bunch of overpowered skills in a fantasy world to be inherently interesting/enjoyable, they're probably not going to enjoy about half of these titles. I would trim the list significantly if you actually wanted to narrow it down to stuff that meets the standard of "roughly as good as decent non-WN (or LN original) content that actually feels like a proper professional product people who aren't specifically into isekai might enjoy." So in case anyone tries something from this list and bounces off of it, I'd say the most decent among series you listed are:

- Re: Zero (unique setting and has a good sense for drama and crafting compelling scenes)
- Konosuba (good humor)
- I'm a Spider So What (I'd add a qualifier that the parts that follow the main character are kinda eh, but it at least has a coherent overarching plot that doesn't feel like the author's making it up as they go along; if it solely focused on the main protagonist, I'd rank it among the stuff I'm not listing here).
- Kenkyo Kenjitsu/Bakarina (good humor, though I enjoy the "reincarnated as villainess in an otome game/manga" genre considerably more than power fantasy isekai)
- Bookworm (up until a point; later it falls into some more typical problems with the genre, though it's still better than most and probably the best example of the "uses modern technology in fantasy setting" isekai sub-genre)
- Can't speak to Log Horizon; I found it boring, but I also didn't react to it poorly so I don't have any actual negative opinions about it and wouldn't directly discourage anyone from checking it out

Death March, Gate, and Arifureta are pretty trashy and very characteristic of a Typical Isekai Web Novel, even if they aren't outright offensive to human sensibilities like Shield Hero or other stuff with slaves. They play the power fantasy/wish fulfillment angles very straight. Stuff like Slime or Sword Dad is a bit better than those, but still leaves me with the constant unshakable feeling of "this is the uninspired work of a complete amateur who is just making stuff up as they go along."

Yeah, I was meaning more along the lines of them being inoffensive and enjoyable if you’re the type of person who enjoys this type of stuff. If I were having to limit it to stuff to recommend to people who usually don’t enjoy isekai stuff is probably limit the list to Konosuba, Bookworm, and Spider, maybe? They’re all stuff that is good in spite of being isekai or are the best examples of it.

I don’t disagree with much of what you said, but I will say that having read all of bookworm the translation hasn’t gotten anywhere near what I’d consider “the good part”. Sword Dad and Slime aren’t exactly amazing pieces of writing but they’re light, fun, and easy to read. They read like amateur works with no long term planning because that’s what Narou stuff IS, for the most part.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Man I was pumped when I first heard about an isekai series with a cool premise that didn't involve being in an MMO. Then I learned more and god, I'm never going to get my hopes up for like the next ten years. :negative:

I can't help but think that, with a different writer, the same story would make a great "normal guy becomes a horrifying villain" story.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

was based specifically on western medieval fantasy, which has many shields.

The show can't decide if Naofumi is a grim antihero or a misunderstood sweetheart because he keeps switching off both sides. Like one moment he's using the slave magic to force the slave girl to stab a thing under pain of torture, the next he's buying her a nice lunch. None of his characterization makes much rational sense... unless he's just being disgustingly manipulative.

The thing I hate most about this show is that it could be a good show. I think there are ways to play the story so you have the same general plot beats but without any of the hosed up statements or implications the show makes.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 17, 2019

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

You can’t blame the guy for not knowing spoilers about stuff that happens later in the novel/manga. I went into the first episode blind like he did and had basically the same reaction as him.

i feel like if your day job is being a professional anime opinion haver i can blame you for not doing proper research

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So is this good to laugh at or is it just irredeemable?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

You'll hate yourself for liking parts of it. There's enough here that there could have been something decent without the misogyny, but it's there and it taints everything.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

drilldo squirt posted:

It's really not. It's boring generic Isekai poo poo you've seen a million times before, only with unlikable characters.
It's not even that offensive except for a few moments (though those moments can really impact how you view the series as a whole)
Good production values and an amazing soundtrack are all it has going for it.

It's not a glorious trainwreck that's fun to watch with friends or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't know about the print versions, but my boyfriend and I picked this as our cringe of the season and we dropped it after the first episode because it was so dull. The first episode was double-length but didn't show or say anything that couldn't have been fit into a standard-length episode. Also the whole thing gave off the vibes of a school shooter's manifesto and was more uncomfortable than entertaining.

edit: I'm not even sure that most of the unironic fans even enjoy it, just that there's a form of wingnut welfare going on where CHUDs think that they're sticking it to "SJWs" by watching it, and Crunchyroll is pushing it so hard because they know their audience really well

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 17, 2019