Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Inspector 34 posted:

Like, just any whiskey as long as it's not Scotch?

I hate that one of my peeves is people not specifying what kind of whiskey they actually mean. I just assume at this point that people mean Jack Daniels, but it seems like usually they're talking about bourbon.

Canadian whiskey or non-decent bourbon.

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is a weird hang-up. Are you saying you wouldn’t put Laphroaig 10 in a cocktail? What about Speyburn 10? What about Johnnie Walker Black Label? What about Great King Street, which is meant for mixing?

Not sure if it's a hang-up rather than a preference. I'm not exactly wealthy so when I buy a Scotch, I buy it to enjoy it for it's own qualities. I don't typically do mixed drinks. I enjoy an Old Fashioned but I can't really justify throwing something nice in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The strong flavors in Scotch are better alone IMO. Bourbon is great for cocktails and cooking because it's sweet and more balanced.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

wormil posted:

The strong flavors in Scotch are better alone IMO. Bourbon is great for cocktails and cooking because it's sweet and more balanced.

Even the Kirkland Scotch doesn't go in mixed drinks.

It goes into my goddamn mouth, sans backup, and friendless to meet it's maker. :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only Scotch cocktail that comes to mind is the Blood and Sand, and a lot of people hate it. (I say it's good with a small amount of fresh squeezed blood orange juice.)

Laphroiag is one of those things I'd only use a spoonful of. It's like absinthe or chartreuse.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is a weird hang-up. Are you saying you wouldn’t put Laphroaig 10 in a cocktail? What about Speyburn 10? What about Johnnie Walker Black Label? What about Great King Street, which is meant for mixing?

Great King Street isn't meant for mixing, specifically. It's absolutely good enough to be sipped.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Halloween Jack posted:

The only Scotch cocktail that comes to mind is the Blood and Sand, and a lot of people hate it. (I say it's good with a small amount of fresh squeezed blood orange juice.)

Laphroiag is one of those things I'd only use a spoonful of. It's like absinthe or chartreuse.

Penicillin and variants are pretty popular.

When it comes to Blood & Sand, I'm with you on the fresh juice, though I think it's actually better with mezcal than with scotch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

One of the better cocktails I've had was very simple, it was fever tree cola with lagavulin 16 and a bit of maraschino cherry syrup.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Cadenhead is my new kink.

I knew nothing about the shop. It was recommended by my buddy. I have since looked into it. Here's a brief summary:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/icons-of-whiskey-retailin_b_11004776

The stuff these guys have selected and bottled has been some of the tastiest I have ever tried.

I walked out with the 12yr Blended and the 9yr Islay, as well as a 250ml Lowland bottle.

I traded the 250ml lowland bottle for a fifth of The Dalmore (which is simply delightful) and we had a nice tasting of each.

Scotland treated me kindly drink-wise.

Anyone else mess around with The Dalmore? The most startling thing I noticed was how the nose was all honey, but the last of the taste remained peaty. Top notch, checks off all my slow sippin-whiskey boxes.

gently caress Monkey Shoulder though. I can't believe people drink that swill.

Never had Dalmore, although I've heard good things. Cadenhead's is truly excellent. I went to Edinburgh a couple of years back and I had a bottle filled from the live 1842 Islay cask, and a bottle of Longrow - which is peaty yet custard-y in flavour. I went to the London shop a fortnight ago and picked up another 1842 Islay cask (they bottle it in Edinburgh and send it down), and a cask-strength Miltonduff.

I've been struggling a bit to know which direction to go in next, because although I'd say that the big peat smoke flavours of Islay are my favourites, I like distilleries from all over. I've always enjoyed Island and some Highland, but I've been moving more towards Speyside of late (hence the Miltonduff).

After opting for a Mortlach the other week, I decided to do an inventory - I figured I could use tasting notes online and try and work out possibilities for my next purchase. But by doing an inventory, I realised I had 40something bottles of scotch...and all I concluded was that I probably shouldn't buy any for a good while...

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Dewar's White Label is my ultimate mixing scotch. But yeah I don't really mix scotch that often. I have done the splash of Laphroaig thing and it's great where appropriate.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I found an awesome shop near me with a great selection of whiskeys. I was talking to the owner and he said they sell limited edition and allocated stuff for MSRP with no premiums but the highly allocated stuff is reserved for regulars so I'll be definitely be making that my regular shop. They also do tastings.

I bought one of his last 2 bottles of ECBP B517. I also bought a Heaven Hill American Whiskey Tasting Experience sample set. It has 100 ml samples of Bernheim, Larceny, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Small Batch and Pikesville Straight Rye. I wanted to try the Bernheim, Larceny and Pikesville btu didn't want full bottles so this is perfect. I also bought a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye as a mixer.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 17, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Dewar's White Label is my ultimate mixing scotch. But yeah I don't really mix scotch that often. I have done the splash of Laphroaig thing and it's great where appropriate.

I'm partial to Teacher's myself. It has a nice subtle peatiness.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The only Scotch under $40 I drink is JB. I buy it about once a year.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

wormil posted:

Johnny Walker Black?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Johnny Walker Black?

No, J&B.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I heartily recommend Teacher's Highland Cream btw as an excellent value blended whisky. Here I can get a liter bottle for like €14.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Any love for Grand Old Parr 12? That's what I've got stocked as a "mixing" scotch, though it's plenty good enough to drink on it's own. Runs $25 at TW, it drinks well and has a little bit of peat in the finish. Also a unique bottle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Johnny Walker Black?

J&B, left out the ampersand. I used to buy JWB but it's now over $40 bottle and it isn't worth it, not to me. In that price range you're into outstanding bourbons like Baker's, Rare Breed, 4R Single B, Russell's Reserve. Liquor here is sold by the state so our prices are higher than most places, especially for lower end scotch. Tends to skew me toward bourbon since it's an excellent value compared to Scotch, rum, or tequila.

spankmeister posted:

I heartily recommend Teacher's Highland Cream btw as an excellent value blended whisky. Here I can get a liter bottle for like €14.

$20/.75L here. I've never had it. Same situation as above where it's in the same price range as better choices so there is no incentive to buy it. But if I catch it on sale I'll pick up a bottle.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

wormil posted:

That's the only Scotch I use to destroy Chess Wizards.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 17, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Odd Mutant posted:

That's the only Scotch I use to destroy Chess Wizards.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Yeah this is my go-to for scotches to use in cocktails/recipes. On its own it's fine, but I wouldn't bother with scotch altogether if I wanted something to sip for cheap.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spankmeister posted:

I'm partial to Teacher's myself. It has a nice subtle peatiness.

I use Teachers for scotch and soda. If I really want a cocktail like a rob roy or blood and sand, I'll take out the Old Smuggler.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

I found an awesome shop near me with a great selection of whiskeys. I was talking to the owner and he said they sell limited edition and allocated stuff for MSRP with no premiums but the highly allocated stuff is reserved for regulars so I'll be definitely be making that my regular shop. They also do tastings.

I bought one of his last 2 bottles of ECBP B517. I also bought a Heaven Hill American Whiskey Tasting Experience sample set. It has 100 ml samples of Bernheim, Larceny, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Small Batch and Pikesville Straight Rye. I wanted to try the Bernheim, Larceny and Pikesville btu didn't want full bottles so this is perfect. I also bought a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye as a mixer.

Those are all pretty good. Pikesville can be a standout if you're into high proof ryes, though it doesn't have the herbal kick of a 90-100% rye mashbill. IMO, ECBP is the best thing Heaven Hill makes, but Rittenhouse is their best value (setting aside the ever stalwart Mellow Corn).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Do you know if this bottle is still available? After trying Aberlour A’bunadh I’m totally craving some more cask strength options and this sounds right up my alley.

K&L still has it if you're in CA. I'm sure various other places have it in stock but I don't see it too often. Should be ~$65 if stocked somewhere.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've always preferred Whyte & Mackay and Famous Grouse to Teachers but they are all in that same strata of blends. The one I can't stand is Bells, it gives me an enormous metallic 'clang' on the tastebuds and I think it's pretty trashy. The Malt that is supposedly the core of Bells is Blair Athol and it's really nice. I guess by 'core' of Bells they mean <2% by Volume as I can't discern anything 'Blair Atholl-y' about Bells.

It looks like Baillie Nicol Jarvie has disappeared which is a shame as that was a very good blend and not too pricey.

The best whisky cocktail is a Rusty Nail, made with Bowmore 12 :colbert:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Thanks gents.

I'm learning a lot about whiskey, but sometimes it still feels like I've walked into an unlabeled Indian lunch buffet.

Yes, I want to try it all, no I don't know quite what that is/meant.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

After hearing about Old Forester 1920 here and reading up on it, it seemed like the big budget step up from Old Grand Dad 114 that I wanted. So I picked up a bottle and boy, boy oh boy, it is a very very good whiskey and exactly what I wanted.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Yes it's very good. I'd buy it more often if it was around $50.

Also I won a Weller 12 1.75L lottery this week for $25. I'm going to make sure that one lasts.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Inventory of my growing whiskey (largely bourbon) collection

EH Taylor Straight Rye, Stagg Jr (batch 10), George T Stagg 2018, 4 Roses Single Barrel, Old Weller Antique 107 (store pick), Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (B517 and C917), Elijah Craig Small Batch (store pick), Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye, Woodford Reserve Batch Proof, Macallan 12 Year (2004 bottling), Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 Proof, Nikka from the Barrel, Makers Mark Cask Strength, Old Forester 1920, Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select, and Rittenhouse Rye. Heaven Hill sample set with Bernheim, Larceny, Evan Wialliams, Elijah Craig and Pikesville Rye. Not pictured Barrell Craft Spirits bourbon 15 year.

I'm a drinker not a collector but I wanted to try stuff out and see what I liked. My prior go to bourbons were Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Woodford Reserve.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 19, 2019

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
How's the Barrell 15yr?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Gravitee posted:

How's the Barrell 15yr?
Very good. It's among my favorites but I'm not sure it's worth the $250 MSRP. My tasting notes say super pleasant nose - vanilla, ripe stone fruit and it's sweet with a caramel undertone.

All the bottles I've had are pretty good but the stand outs for me are OF 1920, GTS 2018, Barrell 15 year and ECBP C917 (haven't opened B517 yet). OF 1920 is the cheapest and easiest to get of those and so good.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 19, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Is OF 1920 a limited release? I keep seeing people buying multiple bottles of the stuff. It's $60 at my local Woodman's so I'm not really in any hurry to buy more of the stuff but I'd be bummed if it's suddenly gone.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I want to also give a shout out to Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky. It's a rush of sweet, syrupy, and buttery flavors. Sometimes maybe too sweet, it's a whiskey you need to be in a certain mood for but when you're in that mood it's just the greatest. Also when you're drunk as hell it smells how I imagine the afterlife smells.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts!

My Woodman's had four bottles of it for $53 as some black friday event thing and after I bought and tried the first bottle I went back and bought two more. The only other place I saw it in my area was selling a single bottle of it for $85 (but this is the same store that sells ODG 114 for $29, so...) I wish I bought the fourth bottle, honestly!

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 20, 2019

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Favorite sipping bourbon around $50 or less?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mentalcontempt posted:

4Roses single barrel.
Baker's. Although last bottle I bought seemed lesser than previous bottles.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I've been enjoying the woodinville straight bourbon. Otherwise the only other sub-50 (post-tax) bourbon I've had in recent history is OGD114 and I think I like the woodinville more. Not sure what the pricing/availability is since it's locally produced

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So I hear the TTB is also shutdown. What does this mean for distilleries? No new label approvals means no new products? What about inspections etc.?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mentalcontempt posted:

Hudson Baby Bourbon has been filling that role for me lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mentalcontempt posted:

Four roses single barrel is a great choice, Russell’s reserve single barrel or Russel’s reserve 10 year are also high on my list.

I need to try some of the Old Forester whiskey row series that are all in that general price range, but I’ve heard good things about a lot of those.

I picked up a bottle of makers mark cask strength that I’ll report back on.

If you like sweeter/lighter, angel’s envy is a very easy drinking bourbon. Not terribly complex, but it’s a very pleasant drink.

I’d be wary of a lot of ‘craft’ distillery products though, a lot of them come in at that $40-$60 price point near me but most are not worth the price at this point. I’m excited for some of these distilleries to push out longer aged products of their own juice, but seems like a lot are in that 3-4 year range at this point.