Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RE3 annoyed me because the difficulty options were Easy or Hard :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I haven't been this psyched for a game in a while. Probably not since the Arkham games.

I never buy new releases but I'm considering breaking my rule for this one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sakurazuka posted:

REmake2 will only have Legend and Dickhead difficulty.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The first time I played through RE3 with a friend we did it on Easy and still ran out of ammo and has to restart.

I need you to mull that over a little because that is downright embarassing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That makes feel less bad about playing on hard then running out of items and restarting on easy first time I guess.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't been this psyched for a game in a while. Probably not since the Arkham games.

I never buy new releases but I'm considering breaking my rule for this one.

I already broke it for Ace Combat 7 and I don’t want to do it again but I may have to!

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I got RE3 for Christmas when it came out and I think I only played on Easy. At the time my buddies and I were more stoked for more time in Raccoon City and the fact that you got to start with a loving assault rifle. Nemesis was legitimately terrifying too. It’s funny because I hated the direction RE4 took with being focused on action, but I was in such awe seeing all the explosions and destruction in RE3.

Favorite area was probably the dead factory, not necessarily for the gameplay but the environment itself was so unnerving to me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ulio posted:

Crowbcat made a video on RE2 Remake. Just some fun experimenting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPul1ZjnwFI

That zombie tripping lol

some really cool details there. the only things that seem iffy are no shooting through those glass parts, being invincible while doing a puzzle, and pallets being kind of safe zones (though I doubt many pallets will be around often)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fosson posted:

I got RE3 for Christmas when it came out and I think I only played on Easy. At the time my buddies and I were more stoked for more time in Raccoon City and the fact that you got to start with a loving assault rifle. Nemesis was legitimately terrifying too. It’s funny because I hated the direction RE4 took with being focused on action, but I was in such awe seeing all the explosions and destruction in RE3.

Favorite area was probably the dead factory, not necessarily for the gameplay but the environment itself was so unnerving to me.

Dead Factory is probably the only RE3 location that you're in long enough for it to really build an atmosphere. I love the music track too, all combined it creates the best sort of miserable environment.

I'm not really sure why RE3 gets so much stick, now that I think about it. Always preferred it over CV. At least RE3, for all its faults, gives reasons to replay it by choice. CV on the other hand makes you replay several loving things during one loving playthrough.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
RE3's Operation Mad Jackal is still my favorite of the Mercenary game modes even though I was terrible at it and was only able to get through it with Mikhail.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Embarrassingly, I thought until pretty much right now today that Code Veronica was like a directors cut style port of 3. 2 is the only RE I ever beat and it brings back some memories to see this new one in action. Looking forward to it.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 16, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

:eng101: the coat keeps them from going all super tyrant mutant mode

the hat however is for show

Makes sense, they don't want to damage the sweet coat so they generally don't flip out until something damages it anyway. Fashion sense should have been engineered into all Umbrella products.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I played 1, 2, and 3 religiously with a buddy of mine and we were so obsessed with the atmosphere and story. Most of that poo poo was done without a memory card so it made every run even more intense. Code Veronica was on his Dreamcast and we were so excited for the 3D environments and story possibilities. I recall we maybe saved or didn’t have a save when it came to the dreaded cargo plane part and that was a massive roadblock. Like we didn’t have enough ammo on us when we saved or something.

Years later I picked up CVX on PS2 and prepped. That game to me was so loving stressful, but worth it.

So many memories with this series. I remember we were such fans of Barry that every release we would speculate on whether he would show up to kick rear end. Had to texf this buddy a year or two ago to tell him that Barry was finally playable in a campaign in Rev 2.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I never got more than 20-60 minutes into RE3. I kept running out of ammo or dying until I just shelved it forever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do remember the beginning of RE3 being fairly difficult compared to 1 and 2 if you didn't start with the assault rifle. I seem to recall you don't really get enough ammo to deal with most things in your way so you have to make really good use of the dodge.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
From what I remember, RE3 has a lot of ammo... but it's either hidden or relies on you using the gunpowder just right. Just off the top of my head, the first two proper ammo drops are hidden, and if you're new you might be using gunpowder individually for fifteen bullets or seven shells each. In fact... thinking back, the first obvious open ammo drop that isn't out of the way is probably thirty pistol bullets on the police station desk (roughly eight rooms of monsters and an optional Nemesis fight away from the start of the game), and the next is a fair distance away. There's ammo around... but again, not counting gunpowder, they're hidden or out of the way or on dead bodies, which surprisingly enough a lot of people I watch play don't check.

Conversely, if you do know what you're doing, it's very easy to show up to the first Nemesis fight having found, started with, or made 90 pistol bullets and twenty seven shotgun shells. You can also keep most of it by dodging most of the fights and enemies (and I mean with footwork, not with the finicky dodge mechanic), as well as exploiting the barrel and the shotgun head shots or spread damage.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Just got a psvr super cheap in post Xmas sales and goddamn. RE7 in VR is something else. Horror games alone might justify VR's existence. That was probably the tensest a game has made me since I was a little kid. In a good way.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

codo27 posted:

I can't believe how little I remember about 3. I think I may have only beaten it the one time, literally 20 years ago (more like 19 okay). gently caress.

Same. I love resident evil. All of them. Except 5 and 6 which i never played and 3 is the least memorable to me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

RE3's gunpowder system really lended itself to replayability. Want to do a pistol run? Sure. Mix all your B powders into BBA gunpowder makes handgun bullets. Make enough handgun ammo and you'll start making enhanced ammo, which for the pistol will make even Nemesis flinch. You can do the opposite in a normal game to have more shotgun shells than you'll ever need. Enhanced SG shells are very powerful.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
And you had nemesis dropping cool weapons as well, so you could get the m37 lever action shotgun and such.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have been on media blackout for this to the degree that i dont even really want to run the demo. how does the game run on a base ps4? i'd prefer to get it for console since my pc time is super limited, but if its not running well on console i'll get it on pc.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

rabidsquid posted:

i have been on media blackout for this to the degree that i dont even really want to run the demo. how does the game run on a base ps4? i'd prefer to get it for console since my pc time is super limited, but if its not running well on console i'll get it on pc.

Demo ran at 40-50 fps on the base PS4 at 1080p.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

rabidsquid posted:

Played the demo a few times on a base PS4 and it ran well. Looks great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm one of the people who didn't get into RE until 4. I don't disagree that RE4 was a lot more action-oriented and gonzo, maybe too much so, but being able to aim your gun and do stuff besides shoot was just so much more engaging. But I didn't keep playing RE games after that because RE5's mandatory buddy system turned me all the way off.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Capcom knocked it out of the park with the zombie gore. I feel like they have some custom anatomy engine whereas most games go with waay lazier gore. That cop with the jaw almost torn off was gorgeous.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My wife (Borat) does makeup effects, and even she was impressed with the gore and the general zombie appearance.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
how hilarious is it going to be when you finish 4th survivor and hunk takes off his helmet and.... you know.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Vikar Jerome posted:

how hilarious is it going to be when you finish 4th survivor and hunk takes off his helmet and.... you know.

???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's Gritty?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

Capcom knocked it out of the park with the zombie gore. I feel like they have some custom anatomy engine whereas most games go with waay lazier gore. That cop with the jaw almost torn off was gorgeous.

Yeah it's impressive. The zombies aren't all samey-looking like they have been in past games, and the detail with which they degrade in response to damage is incredible. Never thought I'd be impressed with the beauty of mutilated corpses, but holy moly these undead look good.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The ones in the lab will probably look absolutely horrifying, since they'll have been infected a lot longer. Some of the dead bodies you stumble over like the licker victim in the demo will probably be pretty gross as well, like whoever ends up getting chestbursted or any spider victims. Goddamn looking forward to this game so much.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

acksplode posted:

Yeah it's impressive. The zombies aren't all samey-looking like they have been in past games, and the detail with which they degrade in response to damage is incredible. Never thought I'd be impressed with the beauty of mutilated corpses, but holy moly these undead look good.

When I played through the demo, I was at a t-shaped intersection (I think it was after climbing onto the pallet and climbing through the window). One cop zombie (police hat, short sleeves) stumbled into view, I shot him as he stumbled past, then a second later a second identical zombie came from the same exact side.

I wasn't sure if I just got two of the same zombie model, or the game accidentally spawned the one zombie a second time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

Hunk's identity has been known for years, he's just a normal white guy with blonde hair. I doubt that will be retconned into Chris Redfield if that's what you're insinuating though I admit it would be hilarious

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does REmake 2 do 4K/60FPS on Xbox One X?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
perfect opportunity.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does REmake 2 do 4K/60FPS on Xbox One X?

No. It seems to be closer to 1620p or something in the demo. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-resident-evil-2-remake-demo-analysis

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I played the 30 minute demo on the PSVR and...that was unnerving. I feel doing this with RE3 will literally kill me

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Blonde Chris is as baffling as Brunette Dante.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

played the demo and had fun, but it took me waaaaayyy too long to figure out how to get out of the main area after getting the knife. im a big dummy

having just finished The Evil Within 2, which was excellent and I recommend it, im having a hankering for some more action-oriented resident evils. I got resident evil 5 in a bundle awhile ago and i want to check it out, but it will be solo. I heard that coop is way better obviously, but am i doomed if i try to muscle through with the ai partner?

I also have revelations for some reason, would that be more up my alley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

AI partner in RE5 is fine unless you do the hardest difficulty.