Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

oh I think I stumbled on this one startup, I seriously considered doing it despite people on the yospos slack saying I shouldn't

i doubt it, unless you too are in japan

in fact there's also some self driving ("mobility") business here who also is expecting people do a month long test assignment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't remember where it was, but yeah I think I if it were japan I'd remember it

but it was exactly that: an AI startup who wanted me to spend 1-3 months implementing some scientific paper to get a chance to work for them

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Me, to my peers: "Oh yeah, I've been hearing from (X), (Y), (Z) about some really interesting roles!"
Me, to my self: "HR auto-responders don't count you goddamn fraud."

:smith:

E: Although, an auto-reject I got on Monday was "whistled-back" (as the kids say these days) yesterday when it was discovered that the question "Do you have a degree in Computer Science?" is not actually the same as "Do you have a Bachelors?". "Hashtag Social Science Degree Lyfe" (as the kids say these days). It also means that apparently an actual human bean looked at it?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 16, 2019

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Captain Foo posted:

anyway I have an interview tomorrow

Best of luck to you.

The entire interview process for my current workplace was: thirty minutes behavioral call; one hour onsite, thirty minutes doing a "what does this code do and where are its errors", thirty minutes behavioral; and thirty minutes discussing the offer with my supervisor and supervisor's supervisor. They have since replaced the code review with doing a whiteboard.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't remember where it was, but yeah I think I if it were japan I'd remember it

but it was exactly that: an AI startup who wanted me to spend 1-3 months implementing some scientific paper to get a chance to work for them

their explanation was that "uh this is basically what you will be doing all day so we want to see if you are up to it", which is a valid excuse actually and i see where they are coming from, but the reality is that the position has to be something really drat special for me to even take the opportunity cost of trying to do this work. i mean what if i do it and then they say nah

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Here's my story about an ai startup.

Imagine my surprise when I checked the company's project page, was redirected to a personal website, and I checked the about me section to discover it was the homepage of the dude that made the infamous my little pony resume that was in the 3rd person.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Welp, after a month of funemployment I'm finally starting to look for a job down here in Mexico. I knew that having Amazon on my resume would open doors, but god drat I didn't expect that every position I applied for would get me to a talking interview.

However I'm only looking for remote positions since I live in a small city with no tech jobs, and most of these places are in Guadalajara aka Mexican silicon valley. Still though I need the practice and I'm sure some company will bite eventually, just gotta keep looking.

^^^
LMAO

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 16, 2019

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

elite_garbage_man posted:

Imagine my surprise when I checked the company's project page, was redirected to a personal website, and I checked the about me section to discover it was the homepage of the dude that made the infamous my little pony resume that was in the 3rd person.

lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

elite_garbage_man posted:

oh dear lord lomarf

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

did my third onsite in two weeks yesterday, got two verbal offers and probably a third, and I’m pretty sure I don’t want any of them. also got ghosted by Apple again. drat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
xpost the doomsday economics thread in cspam

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Check this whole thread... shaking my head so much here

Heard that it happened to me when applying at Disney animation. Crazy to hear so many stories of confirmation in the comments that yes, this does happen. What kind of sociopaths can sit there and interview someone with a straight face knowing that it's fake, who then has to go on wondering for months if they'll get the job (and not making useful alternate plans in the meantime). Much less take someone house shopping nearby like in one of the stories.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jimbola posted:

how long would you say is reasonable to spend on a take home test?

i've been asked to:

- put together a REST API in an unfamiliar MVC framework (Phalcon), including JWT auth)
- use mongo as the 'db'
- set up an asynchronous chat app that uses the API
- ensure full test coverage
- package it all up in a docker-compose.yml

which i think will take me at least a day to complete. am i right in thinking this is excessive? or is this normal?
This is not a take home, this is full-time work. They're milking you.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I'm pretty okay with non-trivial takehomes, like that chat one would be fine if it was JUST implement the api. a takehome should be like 1-2 hours of work (which if you want the job you extend to 4 or more hours to make actually good)

but yeah that's too much

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

its a scorching hot take everytime that companies are trying to get free work out you just lmao

hanlon's razor and all that

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Symbolic Butt posted:

Implement it, then license it out to them

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

me: "I want jobs <here>"
recruiters, of the cold calling type: "WE HAVE JOBS ANYWHERE BUT THAT LOCATION"

:suicide:

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

its a scorching hot take everytime that companies are trying to get free work out you just lmao

hanlon's razor and all that

yeah to be honest i think it was more them being stupid than trying to get free work. they already have the product right? why would they want me to re-implement it from scratch?

in any case i told them no and the guy was like 'let's talk about it! i don't want this to be an obstacle!'. i think it's a pretty big red flag anyway so i'm just going to move on.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

during the current search i had two nice 1-2h coding exercises. and some AI startup wanted me to spend a month on re-implementing a science article which i politely told them is too much time, sorry

as much as people are pointing out the possibility of some of these things being free work -- this one literally is free work; this is doing an assignment an employee would do that will result in them getting the dual benefit of screening you while maybe getting free work out of you either way; a win-win for them and just screwing over applicants

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i didn't bomb the interview but we'll see, i guess

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bob dobbs is dead posted:

xpost the doomsday economics thread in cspam

This got brought up in the schad thread over in PYF, but this sort of stuff is par for course for universities. What happens is they're required, if they take any sort of public (tax) money, to post the opening publicly, even if they already have someone who will be filling it. If someone applies to it who meets all the qualifications, chances are they'll repeat the same process, make an "application", and fill it "internally".

So tl;dr: they're internal postings that are required to be posted publicly in this case.

e: a few years ago when the University of Wisconsin-Madison football coach left for another school, they posted the open coaching position publicly, even though, for all intents and purposes, it was going to be an internal search. Universities have weird requirements for this so don't read too much into that specific incident with Notre Dame.

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 16, 2019

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

gave notice to my manager, who was not sure whether it was policy to be walked out, so I’ve kinda just been sitting here for a couple of hours waiting to see what happens

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Is Vettery any good? They keep spamming me to join

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

DuckConference posted:

gave notice to my manager, who was not sure whether it was policy to be walked out, so I’ve kinda just been sitting here for a couple of hours waiting to see what happens

Congrats

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

JawnV6 posted:

a yosposter literally dosed me post-lunch with this stuff

lmao oops sorry jawn, I multiplex two espresso shots into one virtual single-shot americano

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DuckConference posted:

lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dijkstracula posted:

lmao oops sorry jawn, I multiplex two espresso shots into one virtual single-shot americano

bean aggregation protocol negotiation mismatch

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cold on a Cob posted:

the good part is that the recruiter contacts you so you don't waste a bunch of time applying to black holes. the bad part is that you're just waiting for recruiters and who knows why might not be getting any interest

oh and they actively encourage everyone to talk in short order which could be good or bad depending on what pace you want to set

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'm going through the process right now so I can describe my experience:

For those that don't know, Vettery's catch is that it sort of turns the job search on its head. As a job seeker, you can fill out a brief profile about yourself, the kind of work you're looking for, experience level, full-time/part-time/contract etc, can choose a bunch of pre-selected industries or areas that you're interested in, and the size of company. You also upload a picture and your resume.

I kind of wish I wasn't forced to upload a picture.
:goonsay:

Vettery makes money on the hiring side, and companies pay something like 10% of the hired person's salary as a fee to Vettery. If I get hired through Vettery, I get $300, and if I refer someone that gets hired, I get $500.

Once your profile gets approved, you'll be scheduled to be listed to companies that match the criteria you entered in your profile. Then you wait.

(Hopefully) A company contacts you with an offer for an first interview! You have three days to respond. If you consistently fail to respond (even as a "pass"), they claim you could be removed from the system.

So far, three companies have reached out to me.

The first one was with a company that does Podcasting hosting, and their revenue model was actually inserting ads into the podcasts, and after learning that I passed on them.

The second company was Netflix (!). I didn't bother with an interview, and clicked "PASS". Passing on an interview offer allows you to write some feedback about why you passed. In this case, the feedback I sent (this just goes back to Vettery) was that they were asking if I was interested in relocation, despite my profile saying I wasn't interested, and they also were much larger of a company than I selected in my profile.

The third company is still in progress. I had a first interview with an HR representative, and I had a bunch of questions for their hiring manager that she couldn't answer, but promised to get back to me on, and I got that info back today (again, all through the Vettery messaging system), so the ball is back in my court.

I've found a couple shortcomings in their job candidate profile, mainly around being open to remote work (there is an option, but it's not in the Locations area), and I also sent them some feedback saying they need a "Relocation: Y/N" checkbox somewhere as well, which is something I feel like most job sites ignore completely.

In all, it's been a fairly positive experience, but you do get some push from the rep at Vettery inquiring about how things are going with each individual company, perhaps they also make a commission if you get hired.

manero fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 17, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Penisface posted:

i doubt it, unless you too are in japan

in fact there's also some self driving ("mobility") business here who also is expecting people do a month long test assignment

hey, come join the japan goon line chat

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Stringent posted:

hey, come join the japan goon line chat

how do i do that? is there a nice non-doxxy thing i can search for on line or i will just create a throwaway email as i dont have PMs

lancemantis posted:

as much as people are pointing out the possibility of some of these things being free work -- this one literally is free work; this is doing an assignment an employee would do that will result in them getting the dual benefit of screening you while maybe getting free work out of you either way; a win-win for them and just screwing over applicants

to their defense it was one of those open challenges where the original authors of the paper had set up a competition to beat their results and i at least got the impression that the company was already familiar with the article in question so at worst i would be doing something the already did.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Penisface posted:

how do i do that? is there a nice non-doxxy thing i can search for on line or i will just create a throwaway email as i dont have PMs

throwaway email

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Stringent posted:

throwaway email

benisfacee@gmail.com

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Thanks manero and munkeymon, i think i'll give them a shot

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SardonicTyrant posted:

This is not a take home, this is full-time work. They're milking you.

there’s like nine posters in coc who would call you entitled and lazy for not sucking up this poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pollyanna posted:

there’s like nine posters in coc who would call you entitled and lazy for not sucking up this shot

coc sucks

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

i should go argue in there for fun some times

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

i should go argue in there for fun some times

be sure to keep us informed

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

DuckConference posted:

update: today is my last day (maybe probably?)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

DuckConference posted:

update: today is my last day (maybe probably?)

lucky ducky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pollyanna posted:

there’s like nine posters in coc who would call you entitled and lazy for not sucking up this poo poo
I mean, if they want to be paid in "exposure", that's cool.