Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The pound will be worthless in two months so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
I do, I've been paid in dollars for about the last 10 years.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1085864436924104704

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
If I can't have England then no one shall!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Corbyn is catching poo poo for not agreeing to talk, but what's the point if May will not budge on anything? Sitting in a room while she says no to every idea is not going to be productive.

You'd have to go some distance to be a worse pm than Cameron but she has managed it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

alphabettitouretti posted:

Corbyn is catching poo poo for not agreeing to talk

He isn't catching any serious poo poo yet, it's only been 5 minutes since he said it.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Avirosb posted:

If I can't have England then no one shall!

I love Brexit now

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

alphabettitouretti posted:

Corbyn is catching poo poo for not agreeing to talk, but what's the point if May will not budge on anything? Sitting in a room while she says no to every idea is not going to be productive.

You'd have to go some distance to be a worse pm than Cameron but she has managed it.

No point whatsoever. Theresa May is incapable of negotiation. She doesn't seem to have a theory of mind, and is fundamentally incapable of changing her own

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

No point whatsoever. Theresa May is incapable of negotiation. She doesn't seem to have a theory of mind, and is fundamentally incapable of changing her own

it owns that the press are still giving her a free pass while constantly having a go at corbyn

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Jose posted:

it owns that the press are still giving her a free pass while constantly having a go at corbyn

The investment interests behind British papers surely wouldn't want no deal. Surely.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The investment interests behind British papers surely wouldn't want no deal. Surely.

It's more that "let's gently caress up rupert murdoch" is part of the labour manifesto, and something actual labour members in CLPs all agree is cool, and good, and very exciting

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Rupert Murdoch is trash and journalists should be happy he's one of the first to be hosed up by lefties hth.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Dance Officer posted:

The pound will be worthless in two months so who cares.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

An insane mind posted:

Rupert Murdoch is trash and journalists should be happy he's one of the first to be hosed up by lefties hth.

It'd gently caress our whole press not just him. And itd be good because they're absolute trash all owned by far right billionaires

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

An insane mind posted:

"The press should be held accountable for lying in an attempt to get people murdered" would do insanely well as a single issue party tbh, the UK's trust in its media is the lowest in Europe. We hate the press more than Italians, or Greeks, or Hungarians. Consider this. We really loving loathe our press. The press consider this dangerous, because they feel slighted that we don't respect their latest opinion piece on why trans people are antisemitic. It's a complete coincidence that they're all old, white, and booj.

When I was 20, doing lots of cocaine and trying to play music for a living, I spoke to a guy in Calais about the state of the press in our countries and an incoming pension age increase. He couldn't understand how this was being allowed to pass, and was talking about Sarkozy attempting the same and being met with a shitload of old people willing to burn his house down. He asked me what the papers were saying about this, and all I had to say was that our best selling newspaper was popular because of the full page spreads of naked women with big boobs explaining why their fave voltaire quote was actually about getting rid of migrants

this conversation stuck with me and I remember it every time I see the guillotines being wheeled around Paris, thirsty for Macron's blood

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this article is extremely good

https://twitter.com/maxstrasser/status/1085860613967015937

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
the times is a right wing piece of poo poo but somehow i still prefer it to the guardian tho' seeing how the primary purpose of a newspaper is to get you ineffectually salty maybe this makes perfect sense

still loving this gif

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
That sure is a hot take.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Wait, is Jose right or just exaggerating? Is there no independent media in Britain? I mean...I know billionaires like to own newspapers for prestige and stuff, but surely there's some form of independent press?

How can you hold people accountable without...oh...oh no.

Excuse me while I go drink.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

An insane mind posted:

Wait, is Jose right or just exaggerating? Is there no independent media in Britain? I mean...I know billionaires like to own newspapers for prestige and stuff, but surely there's some form of independent press?

the state-run press is the BBC, which is ... not great, given the state of The State.

then I'm pretty sure everything else is privatized. I've heard The Canary is trying to be some kind of left-independent thing, but they're pretty small

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I mean the moment we start trying to break up press monopolies is probably when conservatives launch an actual coupe.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I mean the moment we start trying to break up press monopolies is probably when conservatives launch an actual coupe.

I'm just assuming you mean they'll try to flee the country in the cars the top gear guys tried to cross the channel in.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

An insane mind posted:

If you're somehow unaware of British libel laws look 'em up, it's amazing.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Elon Musk doesn't own any UK papers

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
people only want another referendum because they're aware of the massive deficiency of democratic legitimacy cancelling brexit will cause and are trying to split the difference. it has and will fail - it's totally, totally illegitimate.

you wanna loving cancel a50 cancel it. a referendum is compromising with people who have absolutely no desire to compromise or even consider said compromise as anything but the massive insult it is. a referendum makes this problem worse. loving nut up parliament, that's the only way out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

like the Spanish did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ayCVgLjIU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

let's get it down to 0%

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

An insane mind posted:

the guardian is independent (owned by a trust) but british lefties like to pretend that it isn't so they can call any bad news they report about someone they like a fiendish deception by the blairites

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Please do not disparage our fine press, it's the best in the world.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:staredog:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Tbh the problem is less the billionaires (who are bad and should be removed) and more the increasing overlap between politicians, journalists and big business into a single political class alongside entry to this class becoming increasingly hereditary

My favourite example is Tony Benn, who gave up his hereditary lordship and yet spawned a political dynasty (son Hilary, granddaughter something or another, handed and expecting a safe seat respectively)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the guardian is independent (owned by a trust) but british lefties like to pretend that it isn't so they can call any bad news they report about someone they like a fiendish deception by the blairites

the guardian is not owned by a trust and hasn't been for a decade

nobody claims things are fiendish deception, it's simply a fact that blairites are idiots and the guardian is full of them

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Do you know what trusts are my dude?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Do you know what trusts are my dude?

BUT THEY'RE CALLED SCOTT TRUST LTD I DONT UNDERSTAND

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Spangly A posted:

the guardian is not owned by a trust and hasn't been for a decade

nobody claims things are fiendish deception, it's simply a fact that blairites are idiots and the guardian is full of them

"Guardian Media Group plc (GMG) is a British mass media company owning various media operations including The Guardian and The Observer. The group is wholly owned by Scott Trust Limited, which exists to secure the financial and editorial independence of The Guardian in perpetuity."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

"Guardian Media Group plc (GMG) is a British mass media company owning various media operations including The Guardian and The Observer. The group is wholly owned by Scott Trust Limited, which exists to secure the financial and editorial independence of The Guardian in perpetuity."

I'm crying

Spangly A posted:

BUT THEY'RE CALLED SCOTT TRUST LTD I DONT UNDERSTAND

you loving maniac I can't believe you don't even click your google searches when trolling

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

it's a limited company, which means all of its revenue is strictly limited to supporting tory evil

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it's a limited company, which means all of its revenue is strictly limited to supporting tory evil

quote:

The Scott Trust is a limited partner in GMG Ventures LP, founded in 2017, whose Chairman & Co-Founder is David Skipwith Pemsel as of December 2018. [3] According to the GMG 2018 annual report, "this £42m venture capital fund is designed to contribute financial returns and to support GMG’s strategy by investing in early stage businesses focused on developing the next generation of media technology".[4]

For-profit ventures aren't "independent" in any meaningful sense, nor is an "independent" media somehow free of class bias. The Scott Trust always has a member of the Scott family on its board, even.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I'm glad you clicked the wikipedia article this time, can you admit that a trust and a ltd company are not the same thing or do you need time to google what a company is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i mean if the grauniad isn't independent enough for you you can always go with the morning star, the newspaper who's main business model until the 90s was being bought in bulk by the soviets to be pulped