Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
ToD 1 combat was great, it's all been downhill from the 2D games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1085587620883623936?s=19

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Vesperia is the first Tales game I've ever played solo/sober, and it's not that bad 10 hours in. It feels very much like the type of game I'll crank down to easy in the back half and just enjoy the story and pretty flashing colors during fights.

My friends group from college still gets together once a year to marathon new ones fully multiplayer (and fully drunk) so I have a deep fondness for the series in spite of remembering precisely zero actual details about the games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love how incredibly bad and stiff all the animations are, it makes me nostalgic for Tales of Symphonia :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've never enjoyed the combat in any Tales game I've played

I have

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have never played a Tales game and am thinking about getting this one

content
Feb 13, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I have never played a Tales game and am thinking about getting this one

Try Sonic 2 instead.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
We have a "Tails Game" at my annual fur-con but its a very different sort of thing.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Anyone else wanna get in on this sick homophone riff?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Is God Wars any good? There seems to be close to no opinions on it anywhere.

Is it better than Mercenaries Saga?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

content posted:

Try Sonic 2 instead.

I have played a Tails game

PantsBandit posted:

We have a "Tails Game" at my annual fur-con but its a very different sort of thing.

Not this tails game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Oh god i got the same. I blame the AGDQ thread.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I haven't.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Jay Carney posted:

Is the gacha system in xenoblade like micro transactions? I’m fine with complicated systems but that’s a bit much.

Ugh knowing me I’m just gonna get both and continue my insane backlog.

no you find crystals in the game and common or rare blades can come out of the crystals

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

AfroGunsou posted:

no you find crystals in the game and common or rare blades can come out of the crystals

They've data mined the gatcha system and even if you're someone who likes to keep some mystery behind the systems in games you play, it's probably worth googling the numbers and how to efficiently improve rare blade drop rates.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm only like.... 3 kingdoms into Super Mario Odyssey, and just learned about what's available after you beat Bowser.

Holy gently caress :stare:

content
Feb 13, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm only like.... 3 kingdoms into Super Mario Odyssey, and just learned about what's available after you beat Bowser.

Holy gently caress :stare:

I'm glad people are having fun getting a million moons, or whatever with that game, but I was definitely done with it by the time I beat Bowser.

e: It was about the perfect length. It's cool there's more for people who wanted that. Not trying to be salty.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There have never been too many 3D Mario platforming challenge levels. I wish there was a darkest side of the moon

There have been pointless bullshit like the jumprope and volleyball games, though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

content posted:

I'm glad people are having fun getting a million moons, or whatever with that game, but I was definitely done with it by the time I beat Bowser.

e: It was about the perfect length. It's cool there's more for people who wanted that. Not trying to be salty.

That's like stopping after Nier Automata ending A

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the jumprope because I got the first moon on my first try and the 100 jump moon on my next try.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played Tales of Phantasia's GBA port so, so much as a kid.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I have really fond memories of Symphonia from college and enjoyed the combat immensely, even if the story was 'pack as many JRPG clichés as possible into two discs'. How's Vesperia stack up?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I stopped after Bowser and Mushroom Kingdom, personally

I understand that there's a lot of game left but like a lot of games with heavy postgame, it just wore out its welcome. I can't pick up Odyssey again without feeling bored quickly

I'm not entirely sure why that is, to be honest; am I just done with the game in specific, bored with 3D platformers, looking for a new aesthetic, looking for a new challenge? Hell if I know! Remains true, though.

(ed) Kinda the same with Hyrule Warriors now that I think about it. Love the game, but since beating the main campaign I just lose interest. Lord knows the story itself isn't exactly captivating so I wonder why I lost interest there of all places? Interesting to think about.

/ramble

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 17, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The mario mechanics have been similar for 20 years... It kind of shocks me that people still have an appetite at all for 3D platformer mario and Z-targeting Zelda games but people appreciate things differently.

But for HW musou is famously a genre where one day you hit a wall and never want to musou again so that's totally normal.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 17, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

The mario mechanics have been similar for 20 years... It kind of shocks me that people still have an appetite at all for 3D platformer mario and Z-targeting Zelda games but people appreciate things differently.

Good things don't become bad just because they are old imo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes Mario 64 is still just as good.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Musou games are the pyramid schemes of video games. You like them, tell your friends they’re awesome, your friends get in them, you get sick of them and drop them while your friends tell their friends Musou games are awesome then repeat

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I have really fond memories of Symphonia from college and enjoyed the combat immensely, even if the story was 'pack as many JRPG clichés as possible into two discs'. How's Vesperia stack up?

Better characters in Vesperia IMO, but most of the same notes, so if you liked Symphonia, I think you'll enjoy Vesperia.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I ended up fading away from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Unless there's depths to the combat I'm missing, it ends up being this really samey rhythm action MMO thing, where your job is to hit buttons at the right moment to trigger various combos and get bonuses if you can do that in time with shrinking rings. It's satisfying to a point but there seems to be a real ceiling to skill. Once you are good at hitting buttons on time, you are good to go.

The party loadouts are the holy trinity of tank, healer, DPS. Positioning matters a little but not a lot, and the combos are pre-fixed so what matters is which blades you have equipped and their elements. Combat is mostly just tapping along to fill your bars faster, waiting for your party members to switch to the blade whose element is next in the sequence so you can trigger the escalation. In between fights, there's lots of numbers to make go up between gear and skills and the gacha system. It feels complicated but not complex.

The decision to put massively over-levelled enemies in areas where you explore who can randomly aggro you mid fight for 0hKOs is kind of baffling and only prevented from being infuriating thanks to the incredibly consequence-free nature of death.

Storywise, it's OK so far, but also a bunch of fantasy nonsense. It was good enough to keep me going at first, but I lost interest. I got to a natural break point (successfully making it to a key stop on the odyssey) and just kind of…stopped.

The cheesecake female blade artstyles are kind of off-putting for me and in many cases don't match their characterization (for the ones who get characters). Of particular hilarity in this regard is a subplot of the game where busty underdressed characters lecture a bot maker for designing his bot with a sexy-maid mode.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
There are definitely genres that other people feel this way about that I don't, so no judgement, but I honestly can't get enough platforming. Especially with a game as good as Mario Odyssey, if there's content I'm gonna play it. I can't imagine setting it down when there's still stuff left to do, it's like comfort-food for me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ironically, if you want to get to the upper levels of XC2 combat you mostly forgo dedicated healing as it just isn’t efficient.

Though I’m confused at your point, you bounced because it had a gameplay loop?

That’s how all games work, no game changes up that much over the course of gameplay

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Andrast posted:

Good things don't become bad just because they are old imo

This

content
Feb 13, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah, but I wanted to keep playing Nier after ending A.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

There are definitely genres that other people feel this way about that I don't, so no judgement, but I honestly can't get enough platforming. Especially with a game as good as Mario Odyssey, if there's content I'm gonna play it. I can't imagine setting it down when there's still stuff left to do, it's like comfort-food for me.

It might be different if there were any other 3D platformers that came even close to Mario quality but there isn't

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't really get into XB2 until they patched it so I could make combat both optional and automated

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A lot of people have fond memories of symphonia because it was their first high production values rpg but vesperia is much better for starters because the plot isn't embarrassingly bad and the main character isn't a stupid dope

content
Feb 13, 2014

When is goddamn Grandia coming out?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Calaveron posted:

A lot of people have fond memories of symphonia because it was their first high production values rpg but vesperia is much better for starters because the plot isn't embarrassingly bad and the main character isn't a stupid dope

They fixed this by making the plot as background as possible.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wasnt symphonia like the only rpg on the gamecube? Thats why I had it. The only thing I remember about the game is the term "human farm" the blonde girl getting an "ironing board" custom title.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

Wasnt symphonia like the only rpg on the gamecube? Thats why I had it.

Thousand-year door :colbert:

(also fire emblem if we count srpgs)